Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave $39 million on the table to go to a state with massive state income and property taxes where you can no longer deduct the state and local taxes on your federal tax return????

Is no one telling him this math?? The dude might very well go bankrupt unless he gets huuuge endorsements but he ain’t Kobe or Jordan or LeBron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ostensibly because he'll get huge marketing contracts. Some suggestion here shoe companies are pushing this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cause he's a spaz.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see it. The guy has no personality, who is he going to rep, sylvan learning?

He’s clearly been pumped with dillusional fantasies by people that have no concept of how money works

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is not a matter of money. He just wants out at ANY cost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more than 39 large and no, he's not going to be able to make up the difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see it. The guy has no personality, who is he going to rep, sylvan learning?

He’s clearly been pumped with dillusional fantasies by people that have no concept of how money works
    Basically. Maybe his reps and his personality aren't conducive to obtaining lucrative endorsement deals...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is not a matter of money. He just wants out at ANY cost
    But it has to be about money at some point. I would understand if he didn’t increase his earnings to leave and just took the same amount of money but as it stands he will most likely be taking a hefty paycut on the salary he is already earning. So he will in essence be making less than he is on his current deal not taking into account the max deal he is leaving behind.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a business perspective what this guy is doing is absolutely cringe worthy. I think he might actually be re ed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's from LA and spends a lot of the off-seasons in SD. Players have been willing to lose out on money to go home before. Also he's known for not really spending a lot of money outside of basketball, a lot of it likely goes to his family.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave $39 million on the table to go to a state with massive state income and property taxes where you can no longer deduct the state and local taxes on your federal tax return????

Is no one telling him this math?? The dude might very well go bankrupt unless he gets huuuge endorsements but he ain’t Kobe or Jordan or LeBron.
    As a professional athlete, you pay state income taxes for every game you play in based on the venue of the specific game.

So if you play 82 games... that's 41 in San Antonio, 2 in Houston, 2 in Dallas, 2 in Tennessee, 2 in Florida. Seattle doesn't have a team anymore. That leaves 33 games per year in which you have to pay state income taxes in roughly 10-15 different states. Including 2 in New York and 6-8 in California.

That's a big part of why most players have an agent, including virtually everyone that's not an NFL player. A handful of NFL guys go agentless because they can market themselves and do their own taxes (only 16 games to worry about so math is much easier, less returns), most notably Deion Sanders and (recently) Richard Sherman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't have to be about money. I don't think KL has a lavish lifestyle. He could retire now and never work again. He probably knows that and wants a situation that's more conducive to wanting to play ball instead of being rich(er) and being nailed into a ty spot he already decided he doesn't like.

Consider also how incredibly coachable Kawhi has shown himself to be. Look at how his game improved since he's been in the league, from every aspect. That's because he believes what people say, when he trusts people. Most players will listen to the advice and adapt some of it. Kawhi seems to adapt almost all of it. Pop says "you're the man", Kawhi becomes the man. They teach him to shoot the 3, teach him how to dribble and move, teach him how to hit FTs at a higher rate. He learns all of these. They tell him is leg is good and he's ready to play ball, he tries to play ball but pain tells him he's not better. He gets a 2nd opinion and there goes the trust. Then the Spurs multiply the issue by talking in the press (they had the right). So if his family coaches him in a similar fashion regarding his career, he's likely to go all in.
    Last edited by DMC; 06-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a business perspective what this guy is doing is absolutely cringe worthy. I think he might actually be re ed.
    He has some pretty stupid peiple around him right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't have to be about money. I don't think KL has a lavish lifestyle. He could retire now and never work again. He probably knows that and wants a situation that's more conducive to wanting to play ball instead of being rich(er) and being nailed into a ty spot he already decided he doesn't like.

Consider also how incredibly coachable Kawhi has shown himself to be. Look at how his game improved since he's been in the league, from every aspect. That's because he believes what people say, when he trusts people. Most players will listen to the advice and adapt some of it. Kawhi seems to adapt almost all of it. Pop says "you're the man", Kawhi becomes the man. They teach him to shoot the 3, teach him how to dribble and move, teach him how to hit FTs at a higher rate. He learns all of these. They tell him is leg is good and he's ready to play ball, he tries to play ball but pain tells him he's not better. He gets a 2nd opinion and there goes the trust. Then the Spurs multiply the issue by talking in the press (they had the right). So if his family coaches him in a similar fashion regarding his career, he's likely to go all in.
    And you think this doesn't happen on every team? I would even say its much worse on other teams. Guys get hurt all the time; guys play hurt all the time. Sometimes its the team that pressures you to play and sometimes your own teammates. It's just the nature of the business. Chicken got paid big to play a kid's game--you left your teammates hanging and turned your back on the organization that made you because your disingenuous lying sack of uncle is only looking out to line his own pockets. Damn straight the should be talking --they should talk and talk straight to his face but then again he's to pussy for even that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't K building a house in SA for his mother? That would have been a little of "bringing LA to SA", rather than K moving to LA.

At what point did his playing plans change?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't K building a house in SA for his mother? That would have been a little of "bringing LA to SA", rather than K moving to LA.

At what point did his playing plans change?
    when all trust was lost

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am almost sure he hasn't been offered the $219 million. That's why he's wanting out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole thing about the misdiagnosis, losing trust in the Spurs medical staff, losing trust in Pop, and being butt hurt by Parker are all excuses. It's about the money. He obviously not liking that the Spurs haven't offered him that max offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are rich and politically liberal there are few places in America better to live in than LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole thing about the misdiagnosis, losing trust in the Spurs medical staff, losing trust in Pop, and being butt hurt by Parker are all excuses. It's about the money. He obviously not liking that the Spurs haven't offered him that max offer.
    If the Spurs aren't offering the supermax then they either don't want him or they believe he'll never be 100% again. It's a weird situation.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Spurs wanted him to take less than Supermax , IMHO
    2. I was told endorsements in big markets pay more due to international sales?
    3. They never really studied the math, but Dennis is a banker, so Who knows
    4. I really don’t think he is or ever was comfortable in SA

but even still, it looks like he’s passing up a ton of money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Spurs wanted him to take less than Supermax , IMHO
    2. I was told endorsements in big markets pay more due to international sales?
    3. They never really studied the math, but Dennis is a banker, so Who knows
    4. I really don’t think he is or ever was comfortable in SA

but even still, it looks like he’s passing up a ton of money
    If Kawhi walks because PATFO doesn't offer the supermax then that'll be a major up by the front office. Assuming he's 100% healthy of course.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most spurfan arent mad at kawhi for not playing (assuming he really felt he wasnt ready to play) than at him for being silent, then only having his (alleged) critical views made known through anonymous sauces

takes 15 minutes to draft and issue a press relase:
    i love the spurs and want to play for ever and ever, or
    i hate the spurs and want out of dodge asap

done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most spurfan arent mad at kawhi for not playing (assuming he really felt he wasnt ready to play) than at him for being silent, then only having his (alleged) critical views made known through anonymous sauces

takes 15 minutes to draft and issue a press relase:
    i love the spurs and want to play for ever and ever, or
    i hate the spurs and want out of dodge asap

done

Yup. Or at least a Twitter statement or something. I love the Spurs or the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not offering that much money to a guy who sat out a whole season and alienated himself from the organization. I would do my due diligence and want to see him play the next season to see how he does and see just how healthy he is. My guess is Kawhi and his camp feel slighted because of that.

Thread Information