Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Definitely not "cheesy." The kids reaction in the dream sequence is correct and fuels the scene. The production told him how to play it and the child nailed it there.

So, do think she throws him out that window, or, does he dive thru it as a like a suicide?

I think one problem with the film is that it has a television feel to it. It did back in '76 when the wife and I went.
    I think he does it himself. Never really questioned it.
    I know what you mean as to the tv feel. Absolutely. That being said, I don't know that it takes anything away from the movie today. Other than someone might not give it a chance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    He

yeah. We've talked about this one before Cub. I mention this movie to people in real life and I don't think I've ever come across anyone who remembers it. My bed faced the door and I don't know how many nights I'd lie there and see that chauffeur push the coffin through it.

But I don't think I'd call this movie cheesy. Maybe a bit dated. But it's one of the superior takes on the haunted house genre. Great final scene with the photos.
    Definitely not "cheesy." The kids reaction in the dream sequence is correct and fuels the scene. The production told him how to play it and the child nailed it there.

So, do think she throws him out that window, or, does he dive thru it as a like a suicide?

I think one problem with the film is that it has a television feel to it. It did back in '76 when the wife and I went.
    Way off topic, but do ya'll remember a movie called Born to Win? Was a gritty early 70's dramedy with George Segal. Hector Elizondo played the heavy as a drugpin iirc. Only brought this up b/c Karen Black was sexy as a willing carjack victim, and one of Segal's love interests. It's basically a comedic version of Panic in Needle Park. Check it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Way off topic, but do ya'll remember a movie called Born to Win? Was a gritty early 70's dramedy with George Segal. Hector Elizondo played the heavy as a drugpin iirc. Only brought this up b/c Karen Black was sexy as a willing carjack victim, and one of Segal's love interests. It's basically a comedic version of Panic in Needle Park. Check it out.
    It sounds really familiar but after looking at the IMDB, I'm not sure that I've seen it. Will take a look and see if it's on Prime or Netfilix.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Being I was a kid in the 50's...

And yet you still kids in Olangapo? smh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I was gonna mention Salem's Lot and The Gate for this thread but they've already been taken. Those two are both cheesy but scared me when I was younger.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street ed me up the most as a kid but I wouldn't call that film cheesy. The sequels got pretty ridiculous though.

No love for The Fog yet?

I love Halloween but missed out on the Fog until several years ago when a friend, who was terrified of it as a kid, showed it to me. I liked it but maybe I need to be younger to be really bothered by it.

I saw John Carpenter recently in Dallas blaring those classic tunes in concert. Good imo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not a movie but MJ thriller freaked me out when I was a kid tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Troll 2...regarded as one of the worst movies of all time, still got me as a child. Haven't seen it since, but I know it must be the worst thing to sit through, aside from maybe the garbage pail kids movie.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's Alive!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    THIS and Suspiria.

But the cheesy is tough. My dad laughed. These slashed and permanently scared some neurons. Way too young for exposure... Thank you father. I think they scared the crap out of my mom as well.
    Last edited by pgardn; 09-08-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Twilight Zone the movie with that freaky ass monster on the wing of the plane and only John Lithgows character could see it....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Twilight Zone the movie with that freaky ass monster on the wing of the plane and only John Lithgows character could see it....
    Good call, the entire movie was pretty good. "You wanna see something really scary?" I don't consider it cheesy at all.

You should watch the original Twilight episode with William Shatner that the plane bit was based on if you haven't seen it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    The Gate "You've been baaaaaad!"
    Loved that movie. But, always hated the ending of that movie. Why on Earth could they not come up with a better way to end it?

That kid has the most OP rocket in history

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Not a movie but MJ thriller freaked me out when I was a kid tbh
    Right...

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Good call, the entire movie was pretty good. "You wanna see something really scary?" I don't consider it cheesy at all.

You should watch the original Twilight episode with William Shatner that the plane bit was based on if you haven't seen it.
    For whatever reason that didn't bother me as much as the creepy kid with the infinite power that put his sister in the TV cartoon that had the monster eat her, and then turned his dad into a jack in the box

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    For whatever reason that didn't bother me as much as the creepy kid with the infinite power that put his sister in the TV cartoon that had the monster eat her, and then turned his dad into a jack in the box

That particular "Zone" has sustained splendidly. The cast is fine and supplies the "horror" thru their vocation. Only the "jack in the box" is shown, but, thru the back lighting, sound effects/music/a military press drum sequence there and cast response is it able to be brought off and so hideously effective.

That episode stays with you.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Stephen King's Cat's Eye, particularly the little troll that lived in Drew Barrymore's wall. I love the format of the 3 different stories, and the music was great throughout.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    The segment with Vic Morrow is the most bothersome, IMO, simply because of the fact that Morrow (along with two little kids) was killed during the filming of the segment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    The segment with Vic Morrow is the most bothersome, IMO, simply because of the fact that Morrow (along with two little kids) was killed during the filming of the segment.
    Oh , I had forgotten that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    THIS and Suspiria.

But the cheesy is tough. My dad laughed. These slashed and permanently scared some neurons. Way too young for exposure... Thank you father. I think they scared the crap out of my mom as well.
    That old mans face scared me more than anything else. Also, something about those old 70s grainy film quality movies that just adds to the "horror" effect.

Anyone remember that movie House with that greatest American hero guy? Not really scary, but that skeleton soldier dude freaked me out as a kid.

Nuttin' in these bitches philldafunk's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I was terrified of this movie poster as a child. When I finally saw the movie it was awful, there was a quadriplegic sex scene.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    That old mans face scared me more than anything else. Also, something about those old 70s grainy film quality movies that just adds to the "horror" effect.

Anyone remember that movie House with that greatest American hero guy? Not really scary, but that skeleton soldier dude freaked me out as a kid.
    House was great...hilarious tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't know if it "terrified" me, but I also really liked Creepshow as a kid.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Stephen King's Cat's Eye, particularly the little troll that lived in Drew Barrymore's wall. I love the format of the 3 different stories, and the music was great throughout.

Yep, that movie works nicely. And you're right the music, the pounding drums heighten it. And it's brilliant casting to have Woods & Alan King in those two roles.

Thread Information