Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is Spurs starter C or main backup C. Lyles role on the Spurs is unknown. Could even be the 3rd big man. So Poeltl should be paid less than Lyles?
    No, it‘s not of my concern. But I don‘t get why Spurs fans think that Dejounte Murray has proven to be worth so much more than Poeltl. He‘s a PG that didn‘t shoot or pass.
    Lyles is a floor spacing big. That might be the most overpaid type of player in the league right now. Murray is a young guard who has shown a lot of potential -- another archetype that is being overpaid right now.

Traditional centers who don't shoot, don't score at an elite level and/or are unlikely to ever justify 30+ minutes is the exact type of player who no longer commands big money -- unfortunately for Poeltl, tbh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of funny that Rasho also made $7M per year on his 6/42 deal. Of course it's apples and oranges because of how much the cap has ed, but I still found the coincidence amusing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of funny that Rasho also made $7M per year on his 6/42 deal. Of course it's apples and oranges because of how much the cap has ed, but I still found the coincidence amusing.
    Let's do the math...

Rasho made $5.6 million in 2003-04 in the first year of that deal. The salary cap that year was $43.84 million. Today the salary cap is $109.14 million. That means Rasho was making the equivalent of $13.9 million in today's NBA

It was always a bad idea, hence my DO NOT SIGN RASHO thread from 16 years ago, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excited to see what Jacob can do this year. I hope they start him next to LA and Pop doesn’t play head games with him. Just let him play, make mistakes so they can truely see what they have.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is a floor spacing big. That might be the most overpaid type of player in the league right now. Murray is a young guard who has shown a lot of potential -- another archetype that is being overpaid right now.

Traditional centers who don't shoot, don't score at an elite level and/or are unlikely to ever justify 30+ minutes is the exact type of player who no longer commands big money -- unfortunately for Poeltl, tbh.
    I have no problem with 5 mil. for Poeltl. I‘m just wondering where the 20+ mil. for Murray are coming from. Has he proven anything that would justify that?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On shots close to the rim, they both hover around 70%, IIRC.
    Well damn, that's a layer deeper. Really? Rasho was just so damn frustrating to me. He was so close to being so much more. It's hard to eliminate personal bias like that. My gut would say that Poeltl was a better finisher from close.

Of course Rasho played when big bigs were a necessity and commanded a premium price. Rasho may have been worth his salary at that time, but he sure as wouldn't be today. I think Poeltl will be more useful in the PnR this year, so I think he's more than an interchangeable drone for the Spurs. But that's still betting on him improving.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 07-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a team friend deal you absolutely extend him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your list makes good arguments why it's a bad idea to overpay that skill-set:

1. If recent great teams have had interchangeable centers with similar skills, is there really a need to lock up a specific one? Doesn't it make more sense to save resources for elsewhere?

2. Of the players you mentioned, Thompson, Capela and Adams are now on the trade market after signing long-term deals. Their teams would gladly salary dump their contracts if they could. Overpaying those players worked out poorly in each case. Looney and McGee fit the $5 million range I'm advocating for Poeltl. Bogut is a mix -- was overpaid so the Warriors dumped him and now he's entered the dime a dozen category.

If one were to learn a lesson for these teams, it's avoid overpaying your center because the going rate for centers continues to drop. What sounded like a reasonable deal one year can turn into an albatross the next.

TL;DR: I think the Spurs need to proceed with caution regarding Poeltl and operate with the knowledge that if he were a free agent this summer, he would have commanded less than $5 million per season. Base any offers off of that, IMO.
    Sure, the question here is determining if 6, 7 or even 8 millions per year is overpaying for Poeltl.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, to be fair to my guy Rasho, he was pretty darn comparable to Poeltl. My only issue with him was his contract, tbh. I looked at the stats yesterday but IIRC, Rasho's rebounding stats per possession while on the Spurs were only slightly worse than Poeltl. And FG% was a wash if you factor in that Rasho took jumpers. On shots close to the rim, they both hover around 70%, IIRC.

So I went back and looked at the shooting statistics, and you're right. Rasho made a high percentage of his 0-3 foot shots. I remember him going up soft and missing so many of them, but overall he made a good percentage. The difference I saw was that Poeltl takes 70% of his shots from 0-3 feet. Rasho took about 32% of his shots from 0-3 feet when he was in SA. That was another thing about him - he often settled for a jumper when he could have gotten to the rim with just a little bit of effort/aggression. What kind of surprised me was that Rasho took about 30% of his shots from 10 feet out to the 3P line. At his FG%, that's not providing spacing - it's just a lot of dry possessions.

I'd rather that Poeltl could provide some spacing with an outside shot, but I kind of like the fact that he manages to get inside the restricted circle with 70% of his shots - especially since he makes 70% of them. That's a pretty potent weapon, as often as you can get it. He didn't take quite as many attempts Per36 as Rasho did in his first two seasons here, but more than in Rasho's third year. If they start calling Poeltl's number a few more times a game, out of the PnR, that evens out too.

At the same price, I'd rather see him here than most of the second-tier bigs in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. 3-yrs/$16M or $17M is fair. Poeltl showed promise down the stretch of the season after we bagged Gasold and I think he’s going to get considerably better tbh. Still only 23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. 3-yrs/$16M or $17M is fair. Poeltl showed promise down the stretch of the season after we bagged Gasold and I think he’s going to get considerably better tbh. Still only 23.
    If Poeltl can be had for 5/6 millions per year, I would rather lock him up for as much as possible, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds about right. I wouldn't even be surprised to see 4/32. Neither is some outlandish number in a league where the average salary is nearing 10.

This talk of 5 is unrealistic. He's clearly better than Looney and the latter is a pseudo center (because of his skillset, he has to play it in today's game, but he's really a power forward masquerading), which limits him to a about a 20 mpg backup role.

Though different players, Bryant and Zubac are more comparable both in terms of caliber and because they're legit centers.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's do the math...

Rasho made $5.6 million in 2003-04 in the first year of that deal. The salary cap that year was $43.84 million. Today the salary cap is $109.14 million. That means Rasho was making the equivalent of $13.9 million in today's NBA

It was always a bad idea, hence my DO NOT SIGN RASHO thread from 16 years ago, tbh.
    You were a guest in 2003?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have a full season to assess his fit with Murray, White, and Walker. No reason to overthink any of this now. If they see something there they can confidently say will grow over the next few seasons, like good pick and roll chemistry, they will make him part of their long-term plans. No organization values continuity, as a means to achieve a sum that is greater than its parts, more than the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like 21/3 Will be ok, i think he Will have several 5 millions offers, That's a little bit low

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense to lock him up now, for 4 years, even if it means a slight overpay from the $5 million price tag. 4 Yrs, 28 million is d fine.

Cap is supposed to be $116 million in 20-21, him at around $7 million would only be 6% of the cap. By year 2 of that deal, he could be the starting center and making less than 5 percent of the cap.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, the Spurs should avoid overpaying, but I think they could go as high as 7 million per year in order to lock up Jakob for the long term. Personally, I think he will prove to be worth more than that, but as Timvp points out, the market for such players is pretty low right now so it would be prudent to stick to the market rate.

As far as Dejounte Murray, the whole "4 yr / 100 million" thing is just speculation. I'm thinking 15-18 million a year is more in the range of what the Spurs should be paying, depending on how well he plays next year. Then again, I never understood the reasoning for overpaying Patty Mills and Pau Gasol, so it's entirely possible that Dejounte will get some huge contract also. I mean, if Jamal Murray can get $34 million a year (a huge mistake in my mind), anything is possible.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Javale McGee and Nerlens Noel are out here earning the vet minimum, Dwight Howard is unemployed, and Cousins is playing for $10/hr.

Poeltl averaged 5 points, 5 rebounds, and hardly a block a game. People are truly smoking something if they think he’s worthy of anything more than 6M/yr. Look, I get it. We got fleeced in the Kawhi trade and the majority of you want to act like we didn’t get some second hand garbage in return. That’s fine. You just cut your losses and don’t double down on your mistakes by extending DeRozan and Poeltl on ludicrous deals.

The other half of posters saying he should get paid don’t know a crap player when they see one. Happened with Splitter and his elite screens (lol), Fathead and his high bball IQ (), Bertans and his floor spreading (until March hits)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aron Baynes expiring deal was traded away by the Celtics to clear cap space and he's only getting $5.5M and was highly regarding by the Celtics and their fanbase. I agree that offering Poetl something in the neighborhood of 3yrs/$17M is fair. If I were him I'd take it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. I'm a little gun-shy after living through the Radoslav Nesterovic Era when Spurs fans justified overpaying him because he "set great screens," "was a good teammates," and "protected the paint." In reality, Nesterovic was limited and his true role was as a quality backup center -- not a shoehorned starting center.

Poeltl is a similar type prospect, if you do some talent inflation adjustment. Good, solid player. Strong backup. A starter? It's not something to be excited about, tbh. Maybe if he's your fifth best starter and not playing more than half the game, otherwise the team's ceiling is pretty low, IMO.

That's why I think the Spurs need to be vigilant regarding Poeltl's salary. Considering his relatively limited upside, it'd be unwise to jump the gun and extend him for an amount that could turn him into an albatross down the line.

I'd do a deal at $5 million. Even $6 million, just to cover yourself in case he can suddenly shoot threes or something. More than that? I'd probably force him to go get an offersheet as a restricted free agent. Teams just aren't spending on his skill-set anymore.

Worst case if Poeltl erupts next season and he leaves because he's overpaid like Slomo, CoJo, Boban, etc. ... you sign Milutinov, elevate Eubanks if he pans out or go out there and sign one of those $5 million bigs who are now readily available every summer.
    Is Milutinov every going to come over here?
    I am fine with Eubanks as the 3rd big but I think he is substantially worse than Poeltl...I saw to many no name summer league guys finish over him like he wasn't even there to think he could ever be a good rim protector...
    What would Poeltl have to do to "erupt"? I don't ever see that happening because he is never going to get enough touches on offense to put up any type of numbers...

You said if he is your fifth best starter...that is exactly what i think he will be...

Now think of all the players on recent championship teams...who was the 5th best player...was their salary more than 5 million dollars...regardless of position? I would say yes...and then I would ask...why would Poeltl settle for 5 million dollar if he could be the 5th best player on a championship team......

I also expect Poeltl scoring numbers to jump once LMA leaves...since he won't be playing with one of the 10 worst passing bigs I have ever seen in my life...

I also expect him to be a perfect fit with Luka...and stuff like that matters right...how you fit with your current team...

11 million would be steep but I'd put my hiking boots on for it...

Now if he asked for 11 million and one free number 5 dry from whataburger i'd have to tell him it was great but i think he needs to looks elsewhere...that one burger a week is just further than i am willing to go...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4/24 or 5/30 would be ok...he seems the kind of guy willing to learn and improve...and that needs commitment from the team and stability. Once he's set he could just focus on playing and become a rotation piece for years to come and possibly the starting center if he develops some outside shooting (that could be possible with our coaching staff already focused on that with bigs like Eubanks and a young big like Samanic that already has that weapon but needs to develop consistency).
    5/30 would be perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Javale McGee and Nerlens Noel are out here earning the vet minimum, Dwight Howard is unemployed, and Cousins is playing for $10/hr.

Poeltl averaged 5 points, 5 rebounds, and hardly a block a game. People are truly smoking something if they think he’s worthy of anything more than 6M/yr. Look, I get it. We got fleeced in the Kawhi trade and the majority of you want to act like we didn’t get some second hand garbage in return. That’s fine. You just cut your losses and don’t double down on your mistakes by extending DeRozan and Poeltl on ludicrous deals.

The other half of posters saying he should get paid don’t know a crap player when they see one. Happened with Splitter and his elite screens (lol), Fathead and his high bball IQ (), Bertans and his floor spreading (until March hits)
    We won a le with Splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We won a le with Splitter.
    And Poeltl isn't even half the player he was.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^ so why the need to extend him now?

I thought he was average vs Denver.
    He was the best Defender the entire Series. Without him the series would not have even lasted for 7 games. No he was above average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the best Defender the entire Series. Without him the series would not have even lasted for 7 games. No he was above average.
    I did not watch all the games.
    The parts I saw The Joker was roasting him.

Thread Information