Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like it's a good time to buy video cards if you're in need. The crypto crash apparently has made them readily available for cheap.
    Meh I wouldn't touch a gpu with a ten foot pole right now. They still have a long ways to fall. They're just now dropping to MSRP, but that was a wildly inflated MSRP from when ether was shooting up in value and everyone was flush in stimulus money to spend. Now ether is crashing, people are getting their teeth kicked in by inflation, no more stimulus money and instead governments are going into austerity mode, so that MSRP is way higher than what it's going to level off at. Not to mention just how many gpus ether miners bought and how many will keep showing up on the used market causing further downward pressure on the new market too. Inflated MSRP at the end of a gpu gen is a complete no go for me. I don't expect anything to hit fire sale mode like we saw in November 2014 when AMD overproduced the R9 290/290x right as LiteCoin became unprofitable, but there is still plenty of room for current gen cards to fall in price. Of course next gen will all be scalped to for the first couple of months when those cards launch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh I wouldn't touch a gpu with a ten foot pole right now. They still have a long ways to fall. They're just now dropping to MSRP, but that was a wildly inflated MSRP from when ether was shooting up in value and everyone was flush in stimulus money to spend. Now ether is crashing, people are getting their teeth kicked in by inflation, no more stimulus money and instead governments are going into austerity mode, so that MSRP is way higher than what it's going to level off at. Not to mention just how many gpus ether miners bought and how many will keep showing up on the used market causing further downward pressure on the new market too. Inflated MSRP at the end of a gpu gen is a complete no go for me. I don't expect anything to hit fire sale mode like we saw in November 2014 when AMD overproduced the R9 290/290x right as LiteCoin became unprofitable, but there is still plenty of room for current gen cards to fall in price. Of course next gen will all be scalped to for the first couple of months when those cards launch.
    The other thing I'm wary about is buying something that's been used as a crypto mining board non-stop for a year or so, those units have the equivalent of 5 years worth of use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other thing I'm wary about is buying something that's been used as a crypto mining board non-stop for a year or so, those units have the equivalent of 5 years worth of use.
    Agreed, wouldn't even buy a gpu used if I knew 100% it had never been mined on because the 3 year warranties are a big plus for me. Console I have less of a problem buying used since the warranties suck anyways and you often get much bigger discounts. But for gpus never understood buying used to save $40 or $50, and especially not now. But new gpus prices still don't really reflect the economy we're living under now and are going to have to come down. Especially with ethereum going proof of stake sometime this year, miner bags are going to have to start selling their gpus off.

Ugh wish it would get like November 2014 though. R9 290 was like the RTX 3080 equivalent of the day and AMD had to sell them brand new with 4-5 games included for $200 to $230 that month. Even dragged Nvidia's prices down and forced them to sell the GTX 970 for $330 to match the R9 290x's street price when they had been getting away with selling the trash GTX 770 that was just a GTX 680 rebrand for $400 before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow EVGA just cut ties with Nvidia and says they're exiting the gpu market for good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, wouldn't even buy a gpu used if I knew 100% it had never been mined on because the 3 year warranties are a big plus for me. Console I have less of a problem buying used since the warranties suck anyways and you often get much bigger discounts. But for gpus never understood buying used to save $40 or $50, and especially not now. But new gpus prices still don't really reflect the economy we're living under now and are going to have to come down. Especially with ethereum going proof of stake sometime this year, miner bags are going to have to start selling their gpus off.

Ugh wish it would get like November 2014 though. R9 290 was like the RTX 3080 equivalent of the day and AMD had to sell them brand new with 4-5 games included for $200 to $230 that month. Even dragged Nvidia's prices down and forced them to sell the GTX 970 for $330 to match the R9 290x's street price when they had been getting away with selling the trash GTX 770 that was just a GTX 680 rebrand for $400 before.
    Just snagged a used 290x for 100 bucks, building another Frankenstein for my nephews .. here everything cost double so not a bad deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So anyone getting the RTX 4090? You'd be plugging something legitimately bigger than an XBox Series S into your PCIE slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fallout 3 GOTY free on Epic Game Store

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/...e-year-edition

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably one of my top 5 favorite games i played on the PS3

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I was thinking about upgrading to a 3060 ti, seems to be the best bang for the buck and I can actually get one at msrp from best buy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking about upgrading to a 3060 ti, seems to be the best bang for the buck and I can actually get one at msrp from best buy
    For ~$400 I'd personally buy a 6700 XT instead. The 8GB of VRAM is going to really limit the 3060 Ti in the future IMO while the 6700 XT has 12GB so should age much better. And 6700 XT is already faster at 1080p/1440p due to Nvidia having a DX12 bottleneck vs AMD while the 12GB makes the 6700 XT also faster at 4k. DLSS 2.0 is nice but FSR 2.0 is becoming really good too.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...700-xt/29.html

Also LOL DLSS 3.0. Have you paid any attention to that ? It's just interpolated frames like your TV does when you don't have Game Mode turned on. What a joke. Saw a test on Hardware Unboxed's youtube where they showed all kinds of disgusting artifacting from DLSS 3.0 and made a good case that it sucks unless you're already getting 120 fps and want to bump to 240 fps if you have the monitor for it. Which you actually can't do at 4k anyways on the 4090 since it has an older DisplayPort out that only supports 4k120 monitors.

3060 Ti would have to drop to $300 for me to seriously consider it given the stingy amount of VRAM since I'd be looking to run it 1440p (and 4k for light games like say Tales of Arise). Would have been a nice card to get two years ago if not for the got cryptominers.

Although another thing I'd look out for is AMD's event on November 3rd where they'll be showing off some 7000 series cards. Nvidia is leaving them a huge opening to swoop in and take the midrange so maybe AMD takes advantage? AMD isn't sitting on a ton of current gen chips like Nvidia is after they overproduced for the crypto s, which is why you only saw 4090 and 4080 announced for $1600 and $1200 on Nvidia's Lovelace reveal.

Last edited by baseline bum; 10-23-2022 at 12:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're interested in the 3060 Ti one of the rumored GDDR6X versions has shown up

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-lau...-gddr6x-memory

Though I'd still probably wait for AMD's November 3rd reveal of their next gen cards.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I decided to go with the 3060 ti in the end because i was able to find one for ~$350 and the lowest i could find a new 6700 xt was $419. also for sake of ease since my Nvidia drivers are already updated.

I'm fairly noobish at ing with the internal parts of the PC but the card swap seems fairly simple and straightforward. hopefully i dont fry anything

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    although im kinda worried because this card did not come with any anti-static wrap or packaging on the card itself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I decided to go with the 3060 ti in the end because i was able to find one for ~$350 and the lowest i could find a new 6700 xt was $419. also for sake of ease since my Nvidia drivers are already updated.

I'm fairly noobish at ing with the internal parts of the PC but the card swap seems fairly simple and straightforward. hopefully i dont fry anything
    Did you buy used to get it for $350? If so I'd stress test the out of it while you're still in the return window if you got it off ebay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you guys hear about the 4090 melting it's power connector?

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Did you buy used to get it for $350? If so I'd stress test the out of it while you're still in the return window if you got it off ebay.
    Nah i was able to find a promo code for a $50 discount so i I got it from best buy. it doesnt appear to be used based on all the reviews, just odd that it didnt come with any static protection but everything else was sealed up normally

going to try to install it today finally

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah i was able to find a promo code for a $50 discount so i I got it from best buy. it doesnt appear to be used based on all the reviews, just odd that it didnt come with any static protection but everything else was sealed up normally

going to try to install it today finally

Damn that ain't too bad to get a 3060 Ti brand new for $350. That should crush games at 1440p, even Cyberpunk.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Damn that ain't too bad to get a 3060 Ti brand new for $350. That should crush games at 1440p, even Cyberpunk.
    Got it installed. sucks that I just realized my power supply is 500W and this one is 600W minimum so will need to get that swapped out too. but man the difference is night and day. gonna have to get a higher refresh rate monitor now because im kinda stuck at 60fps since i need to keep vsync on. but still, everything is smooth as butter. Plague Tale Requiem finally looks good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got it installed. sucks that I just realized my power supply is 500W and this one is 600W minimum so will need to get that swapped out too. but man the difference is night and day. gonna have to get a higher refresh rate monitor now because im kinda stuck at 60fps since i need to keep vsync on. but still, everything is smooth as butter. Plague Tale Requiem finally looks good
    What power supply do you have? If it's a good 500W unit it'll be fine. If not definitely buy something better though. I have a 450W unit that I wouldn't hesitate to put a 3060 Ti on without any worries about it not being able to provide full power to it, but it's a legitimate 450W at 50 Celsius, and PSU makers often fudge how much power they can actually handle.

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? If so, Nvidia gpus support GSync on FreeSync monitors now. Kind of non-intuitive to setup, as in you turn GSync and VSync on in the Nvidia Control Panel but then VSync off in the actual game to get GSync working right. It's huge to have though because it means you don't have to chase 60 fps minimums anymore. Though some monitors will only have a FreeSync range down to 48 Hz, so if your framerate drops below 48 fps you lose the benefits of GSync. While others have a FreeSync range down to 40 Hz so any framerate 40 fps or up looks good.

If you're looking for strictly PC I'd probably look at 1440p144 monitors, though most of them will have minimum FreeSync range of 48 Hz instead of 40 Hz. XBox Series X would work great on that too since it supports FreeSync over HDMI 2.0.

If you want to hook your PS5 up though you lose VRR support at 1440p, as it's only supported on 4k and 1080p. Also PS5 requires HDMI 2.1 VRR support most of the time. PS5 is kind of ty for 120 fps support though due to a light cpu bottleneck, so I'd aim for 4k60 with HDMI 2.1 VRR support if it's important to use a PS5 on the monitor. Even if you're playing your PC games at 1440p though, 1440p looks awesome on a decent 4k monitor. Was actually really surprised how great 1440p looked on my Asus 28" 4k FreeSync panel, looks almost as good as 4k and night and day better than 1080p.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Not sure of the type but i did some googling and think the one the PC came with should be alright (HP Omen 870). tbh most of my gaming on the PC is through a 1080p TV, and I have a smaller monitor I use for RTS games but it's not anything special, never bothered to invest in a good monitor given I had a 1070 before which didnt really need it. but now i feel like i'm doing myself a disservice by be forced to play at 60 fps when I can hit 80+ on most games now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man.. this last GPU swap was a .. I have a full size caze, and the god damn 3080 seriously pushed the space to it's brim.. for a minute there I couldn't even seat the card in place I almost thought I'd have to return the card.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man.. this last GPU swap was a .. I have a full size caze, and the god damn 3080 seriously pushed the space to it's brim.. for a minute there I couldn't even seat the card in place I almost thought I'd have to return the card.
    Imagine if it was a 4090. The smallest air cooled 4090 is legitimately bigger than a ing XBox.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    starting to think this ty prebuilt PC cannot handle the gpu...it hasnt happened a ton but a few times Plague Tale has frozen and the gpu started beeping. i assume this is an overheating issue due to the ty fan set up inside of the PC. think it's time just to start building my own

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    starting to think this ty prebuilt PC cannot handle the gpu...it hasnt happened a ton but a few times Plague Tale has frozen and the gpu started beeping. i assume this is an overheating issue due to the ty fan set up inside of the PC. think it's time just to start building my own
    It's probably the power supply. Take a photo of the sticker on the side of the power supply and post it here or PM it to me and I'll tell you if the PSU should be able to handle the gpu. Eg like this sticker here:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, what cpu and RAM are you using? Might just need a new PSU and maybe a new case.

And tell me you bought that 3060 Ti from Best Buy itself and not some third party seller on Best Buy's website. Have seen Chinese ers selling mined on gpus as new on Newegg's marketplace for example.

Thread Information