Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuminga, Patrick Baldwin, and 2025 top 10 protected 1st for Poeltl. Two firsts and Baldwin seems like an even trade. GS will win the west with or without Poeltl on board but it will be a lot easier with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was bent on trading Poeltl for draft capital & young assets, mainly because I feared him on the team could hurt our lottery chances next year. Now that those clouds have dissipated, if he can be extended for the proposed contract (4 years 58 million) I say go for it: it's already good value and would be so even more with the projected cap rise, he's probably the only better than average starter we have, and he's entering his prime. So unless we're talking about something substantial (like a couple late lottery picks, or a couple very lightly protected firsts a few years from now, from a team already going downhill), we might be better off extending him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuminga, Patrick Baldwin, and 2025 top 10 protected 1st for Poeltl. Two firsts and Baldwin seems like an even trade. GS will win the west with or without Poeltl on board but it will be a lot easier with him.
    The first FRP they can freely trade is 2028. Their pick for 2024 is protected 1-4, then in 2025 1, then unprotected in 2026. They can’t trade any of those years, nor 2027.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first FRP they can freely trade is 2028. Their pick for 2024 is protected 1-4, then in 2025 1, then unprotected in 2026. They can’t trade any of those years, nor 2027.
    Can the Warriors completely remove the protection from the 2024 pick as part of a deal with the Spurs, allowing them to trade their 2026 (whether protected or not) first? Even though Memphis, the recipient of the protected pick, isn't part of the trade?

The chances that 1-4 protection on the 2024 pick would actually matter are pretty low anyway: the Warriors would have to both miss the playoffs and then jump into the top 4. Perhaps that could be an acceptable sacrifice for them to get a deal with the Spurs done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few years ago, the Spurs were so enamored with Wiseman that they compared him to David Robinson and were willing to trade LaMarcus Aldridge for him.

Now they wouldn’t even take him for Jakob Poeltl.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs shouldn’t be helping Golden State to another championship. So they should be out.

A Toronto trade makes the most sense to me. Birch and two unprotected 1sts for Poeltl is what I’ve been thinking since the preseason. Two unprotected firsts would be fine from them since their pick this year will likely not be a lottery pick anyway. That would just leave the Spurs crossing their fingers on the 2025 first.

The real problem is that the Spurs just don’t need to trade Poeltl or anyone for that matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few years ago, the Spurs were so enamored with Wiseman that they compared him to David Robinson and were willing to trade LaMarcus Aldridge for him.
    This has never been substantiated at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs shouldn’t be helping Golden State to another championship. So they should be out.

A Toronto trade makes the most sense to me. Birch and two unprotected 1sts for Poeltl is what I’ve been thinking since the preseason. Two unprotected firsts would be fine from them since their pick this year will likely not be a lottery pick anyway. That would just leave the Spurs crossing their fingers on the 2025 first.

The real problem is that the Spurs just don’t need to trade Poeltl or anyone for that matter.
    Can the Raptors even trade us their 1st this year since they traded us their first last year? Doesn't TOR need to keep this year's pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now they wouldn’t even take him for Jakob Poeltl.
    Thomas82 would go goo goo for gaga for this dude in every post that year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Spurs are in no hurry to trade...that's the most important benefit of selecting all good guys, veterans and young prospects. Pop and Brown had nothing but good things to say about them and all the team.
    Frankly, I think both veterans (that are playing, for avoiding injuries, the minimum amount of minutes but have already been part of the "good beginning of the season" probably so consolidating their market value) and young guys have understood and shared the PATFO line...this is a season for learning, undertanding the system, create good relationships on the group...
    The atmospehere is ideal for just listening to market offers.
    But I wouldn't be suprised if nothing comes. My impression is that patfo really likes what they already have and are just waiting for the season to finish and for ping pong balls to determine our draft number.
    The side effect of the "good behavior" about the these guys, imho, is that I think patfo would not be against re-signing or pick the options for quite all of them (Poeltl, J.Rich, KBD for the veterans; Tre Jones, Roby, Bassey, Collins etc.).
    After all, the only real old (but not that much, actually) guy is Dieng...and he too could be seen, considering his mentoring qualities, as a future member of the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Warriors completely remove the protection from the 2024 pick as part of a deal with the Spurs, allowing them to trade their 2026 (whether protected or not) first? Even though Memphis, the recipient of the protected pick, isn't part of the trade?

The chances that 1-4 protection on the 2024 pick would actually matter are pretty low anyway: the Warriors would have to both miss the playoffs and then jump into the top 4. Perhaps that could be an acceptable sacrifice for them to get a deal with the Spurs done.
    The odds don’t matter, but just to ask, did you really think they’d earn their own lottery pick recently, sandwiched between a couple of championships? Low doesn’t mean zero.

I think they could remove the protections, but they won’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has never been substantiated at all.
    It hasn’t been debunked, either, and begs the question: why was LMA the only Spurs player to not only NOT play in the Orlando bubble, but to not even travel and stay with the team? They even brought Forbes, and left him in street clothes until White injuried his foot. Forbes was gone in the offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can Wiseman still be salvaged though? He’s only 21. He just got summoned back from the G-League after averaging 15 and 10 there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Raptors even trade us their 1st this year since they traded us their first last year? Doesn't TOR need to keep this year's pick?
    Someone cleared this up for me. That rule applies only to future picks. Each draft resets you to zero if you had traded that pick. Toronto could trade us 2023 and 2025, for example, even though an earlier trade netted us their 2022 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can Wiseman still be salvaged though? He’s only 21. He just got summoned back from the G-League after averaging 15 and 10 there.
    15 and 10 in the gleague is kind of pathetic for a #2 overall pick. I mean, Marvin Bagley was sent packing for averaging 14 and 7.
    In the NBA.
    For 3 seasons.

It becomes a matter of economics. Those high picks start creeping up towards an eight figure salary around year 3 or 4. You have to decide if there’s any further growth curve, or if you can get that productivity cheaper elsewhere. This is probably why the Spurs aren’t interested in Wiseman. He’s in year 3 of his contract, and can be unrestricted after year 5, so, you develop him for someone else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His youth is a plus. And so is his size and potential skill set. However, you can't teach heart and work ethic and by all accounts he has none.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's impressive to see how well the Celts have played without Robert Williams, using a 36 year old Al Horford and Luke Kornet to hold down the center position. Kornet has the fourth best BPM on the team, the best DBPM and WS/48... pretty great production from a 9th man who's getting paid the vet's minimum on the team with the best record in the league.

The 73 win '16 Warriors used Andrew Bogut at about 21 mpg-- so even though he usually started, he was essentially a 6th man, with Festus Ezeli backing him up at about 17 mpg.

The 72 win Bulls started Luc Longley, and backed him up with journeyman Bill Wennington.

The blueprint has always been there for teams without dominant centers to win, even before the three point era, which has made them less relevant than ever. If I'm a GM in this era, my #1 priority is getting super versatile forwards/big wings who score and defend, and shooters. The Pelicans just took over the #1 spot in the West, and some of their most productive line ups have 6'8" Larry Nance Jr at center, who makes an extremely reasonable salary of $9.6 mil this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It hasn’t been debunked, either, and begs the question: why was LMA the only Spurs player to not only NOT play in the Orlando bubble, but to not even travel and stay with the team? They even brought Forbes, and left him in street clothes until White injuried his foot. Forbes was gone in the offseason.
    I'm not clear at all why him not being in the bubble had anything to do with a Wiseman trade. I have no idea what kind of logic this is.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Averaging 15/10 in the G-League is pretty bad for being in his third year. Bassey was destroying the G-League and he's struggling again after a hot start.

Wiseman probably has negative value at this point. By the time the trade deadline rolls around he'll have about 16 million guaranteed left on his contract. He's not only unproductive but pretty spendy. Why spend that kind of money for a guy who's shown nothing? Just draft a Christian Koloko type in the 25-40 range and save the money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl in the warriors is perfect. He does not need to play in the clutch as warriors usually go with draymond at the end. But those first 3/4, you have a nifty passing big man and a great screener. Then the interior defense with the acceptable switching ability. Finally, the offensive rebounding is deadly for all bombers on the floor. The warriors don't need a finishing 5 players in clutch. They have that. They need to cover those first 3/4. kaminga, moodey, Wiseman are not in their playoff rotation. They will be buyers this deadline.
    Yeah, but they love Looney and he primarily fills the role you mentioned.

Sure, they could use an upgrade on J. Green and Wiseman, but you don't give up the asset(s) required and bring in a solid starter for that.

The whole thing is weird.

The blueprint has always been there for teams without dominant centers to win, even before the three point era, which has made them less relevant than ever.

That's like saying dynamic perimeter creators aren't that important to winning championships because '94 Olajuwon, '99 and '03 Duncan and to a lesser extent '11 Nowitzki won without it.

Last edited by TD 21; 12-08-2022 at 12:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not clear at all why him not being in the bubble had anything to do with a Wiseman trade. I have no idea what kind of logic this is.
    August Bubble-> playoffs ->November draft with Wiseman. If LMA got hurt, no trade, so why risk it? Turns out, someone else got hurt, ing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    August Bubble-> playoffs ->November draft with Wiseman. If LMA got hurt, no trade, so why risk it? Turns out, someone else got hurt, ing it.
    How does that work? At the time of the bubble GS didn't even know their draft position, there was no way to know they could even have the opportunity to draft Wiseman.

LMA missed the bubble because he was injured and because he has a known heart issue, so covid was a big concern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't even worth responding to, it's so ridiculous... but you know this was during a pandemic, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's impressive to see how well the Celts have played without Robert Williams, using a 36 year old Al Horford and Luke Kornet to hold down the center position. Kornet has the fourth best BPM on the team, the best DBPM and WS/48... pretty great production from a 9th man who's getting paid the vet's minimum on the team with the best record in the league.

The 73 win '16 Warriors used Andrew Bogut at about 21 mpg-- so even though he usually started, he was essentially a 6th man, with Festus Ezeli backing him up at about 17 mpg.

The 72 win Bulls started Luc Longley, and backed him up with journeyman Bill Wennington.

The blueprint has always been there for teams without dominant centers to win, even before the three point era, which has made them less relevant than ever. If I'm a GM in this era, my #1 priority is getting super versatile forwards/big wings who score and defend, and shooters. The Pelicans just took over the #1 spot in the West, and some of their most productive line ups have 6'8" Larry Nance Jr at center, who makes an extremely reasonable salary of $9.6 mil this year.
    Great observations... but what stands out to me is that you can get by with journeyman center if you have Steph Curry or Michael Jordan on your team...

I'd even extend your observation to include:

• The 2005 Spurs had Rasho at 25.5 mpg and Nazr Mohammed at 18.0 mpg (and I believe Nazr was starting for us in the finals IIRC)
    • The 2007 Spurs had Francisco Elson (who I don't even slightly remember) at 19.0 mpg and Fabs at 17.3 mpg
    • The 2014 Spurs had Tiago at 21.5 mpg, Jeff Ayres at 13.0 mpg and Baynes at 9.3 mpg

The 2014 Spurs are the only one among those teams that stand out as not having a prime superstar, but we all already know how special that team was in terms of the beautiful game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas82 would go goo goo for gaga for this dude in every post that year
    There you go again coming for me when I didn't send for you. You love starting stuff with folks.

Thread Information