My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously worst point differential but somehow we're competing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously worst point differential but somehow we're competing
    Ya - I struggle to reconcile that with what I am seeing. Best guess is the bad losses we have had really are mucking up those numbers badly. We have had quite a few large losses, but seemingly less than teams like HOU/CHA who do that more consistently.

But I am in shock a bit at the offensive/defensive efficiency stats. Worst in the league on defense (kind of surprising with Jak/Sochan/Vassell) and offense in bottom 3 despite having so many assists and not being awful from 3 all the time.

Had more injuries than other bottoms teams too consistently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don‘t forget the defense. 30th in every category to keep the tank on track, while playing the right way offensively
    I mean, offensive ranking is not much better lol…

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom 5 defense, middle of the pack offense after the November. Keldon had a horrible slump plus injuries to Zollins and Jakob drag our point differential down too much. 6-7th worse team in the NBA for the rest of the year if nothing drastic changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our total inability to defend for the last few seasons, even as personnel have shifted, makes me wonder if Pop has what it takes to coach D in the modern NBA. I agree that so far he has done a good job of developing our talent while keeping the tank going. I also think he would be perfect to help develop a new star for a couple of years if we are lucky enough to get one in the draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you have losses like that last Nets game it does a number on your numbers. What we see with our eyes, like the last game with the Celtics, tells a different story for the future.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mean vs median average might be interesting to see. Those outliers of 40 point losses have been brutal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Link in case I did the tweet embed wrong:
    https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1611415103680692244?s=20&t=3QWmxlOc-bY4OwS72onXIQ

This chart is the Rockets masterclass in tanking. It's not enough to be the worst defense like the Spurs, you've got to combine it with putrid offense!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ lol we are almost off the charts.

anyone that thinks Keldon, Vassell and Sprinkles are a solid young core needs their heads checked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ lol we are almost off the charts.

anyone that thinks Keldon, Vassell and Sprinkles are a solid young core needs their heads checked.
    They are a solid young core. That's not even debatable. This team has lacked depth for several years now that along with a franchise caliber player is why the Spurs are so bad. Its not becasuse Keldon/Vassel/Sochan aren't good players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are a solid young core. That's not even debatable. This team has lacked depth for several years now that along with a franchise caliber player is why the Spurs are so bad. Its not becasuse Keldon/Vassel/Sochan aren't good players.
    They aren’t. They could be nice surrounding pieces to 2-3 all stars though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ further either players scoring can easily be replaced by Josh Richardson, an NBA journeyman who has little trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AKA, a good young core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AKA, a good young core.
    It isn’t a core. It’s a fking joke that Spurs fans see it that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it not a core? Good teams are 10+ players deep. We're talking about 3 players - none of which anyone is claiming is a franchise player - and you're actnig like they're garbage and not a good foundation. Its just a stupid nig arguement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it not a core? Good teams are 10+ players deep. We're talking about 3 players - none of which anyone is claiming is a franchise player - and you're actnig like they're garbage and not a good foundation. Its just a stupid nig arguement.
    None of which are even all-star caliber. That “core” is about as good as DJ/White/Walker IV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of which are even all-star caliber. That “core” is about as good as DJ/White/Walker IV
    I would bet anything that between those three there are multiple all star appearances. Saying Sochan isn't all star quality when he's 19 and less than halfway through his first season is just stupid. Dude could turn out to be a complete bust but acting like you already know his career trajectory is just nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AKA, a good young core.
    It isn’t a core. It’s a fking joke that Spurs fans see it that way.
    tbh, the "core" doesn't surround anything... that's an hetical to the definition of a core... which is by definition the center

So, by saying they would be good surrounding 2-3 all-stars, then by definition they aren't a core (the 2-3 all-stars, which we don't have, are).

KJ/Devin/Sochan/Blake/Bran are just this year's version of the 88-89 "young core" of Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Cadillac Anderson and Vernon Maxwell. As soon as a real core arrived (DRob, Sean) - those players were all moved for better pieces to surround the core (Alvin and Cadillac for Terry mings; Dawkins for MoCheeks and David Wingate, Mo later got us Rod Strickland; Vernon just sold for cash). Spurs would be wise to do the same should we land a true core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, the "core" doesn't surround anything... that's an hetical to the definition of a core... which is by definition the center

So, by saying they would be good surrounding 2-3 all-stars, then by definition they aren't a core (the 2-3 all-stars, which we don't have, are).

KJ/Devin/Sochan/Blake/Bran are just this year's version of the 88-89 "young core" of Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Cadillac Anderson and Vernon Maxwell. As soon as a real core arrived (DRob, Sean) - those players were all moved for better pieces to surround the core (Alvin and Cadillac for Terry mings; Dawkins for MoCheeks and David Wingate, Mo later got us Rod Strickland; Vernon just sold for cash). Spurs would be wise to do the same should we land a true core.
    This is my thinking. I like KJ/DV and saw them as building blocks on a team that had momentum with DJ and cap space. That ship has sailed so when we hopefully have a core in place they are easily replaceable
    and we should harvest the gain that has come along with developing them if/when the time presents itself. With Sochan it is too early to tell but he offers a versatile skillset that DV/KJ do not and will never possess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young Core Stats:

Alvin (age 26): 17.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 6.0 apg, 3.0 spg, 0.6 bpg
    Willie (22): 18.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.8 bpg
    Dawkins (25): 14.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.0 bpg
    Caddy (24): 13.7 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.3 bpg
    Vern (23): 11.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.1 bpg

lol at the steals numbers in the 80s

Current young core:

Keldon (23): 21.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg. 2.7 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.2 bpg
    Devin (22): 19.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.4 bpg
    Tre (23): 13.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.2 bpg
    Sochan (19): 8.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.5 bpg
    Bran (19): 7.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.1 bpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fan wants to desperately think this "core" is it. Its going to be a long bumpy ride

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young Core Stats:

Alvin (age 26): 17.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 6.0 apg, 3.0 spg, 0.6 bpg
    Willie (22): 18.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.8 bpg
    Dawkins (25): 14.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.0 bpg
    Caddy (24): 13.7 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.3 bpg
    Vern (23): 11.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.1 bpg

lol at the steals numbers in the 80s

Current young core:

Keldon (23): 21.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg. 2.7 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.2 bpg
    Devin (22): 19.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.4 bpg
    Tre (23): 13.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.2 bpg
    Sochan (19): 8.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.5 bpg
    Bran (19): 7.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.1 bpg
    Anderson and Robertson were true 2-way players. DV isn’t a 2 way guy no natter what ST claims.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fan wants to desperately think this "core" is it. Its going to be a long bumpy ride
    And when you stop thinking about this "core" as it, it really opens this coming draft up more than just "Wemby/Scoot or bust. We'll have to see how the reason of the college/Ignite season plays out of course, but if guys like GG Jackson or Brandon Miller or Keyonte George are the top prospects where you are picking you *may* still land a franchise guy you can move Keldon/Dev/Soch to build around in a more complementary fashion. I like KJ/Dev/Soch... but they haven't shown enough promise to think they are our definitive future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson and Robertson were true 2-way players. DV isn’t a 2 way guy no natter what ST claims.
    Rod/Willie/Sean/Terry/David was such a fun starting lineup. I still think we could have made some noise in DRob/Sean's rookie year if not for Strickland's bonehead meltdown in game 7 versus Portland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are really some people debating about the quality of the games during a tanking year? The same who want the team to suck, or play good but lose...

I guess Detroit and Houston games are must-see.

You tank, you suck. Always... There's no tanking team in history that was playing even remotely good.

Thread Information