Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/08/30/...mpression=true

Lots of good new information here. Spurs assume Pop will stay (duh).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great find.

Certainly beats debating endlessly whether Patrick Williams or Isaiah Stewart is the real deal . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a really good article about the front office, not so much about roster moves. Didn't know Spurs got a guy from Facebook to take over from Buford. Spyrs wasn't to expand to Mexico and Austin. Cashless concession purchase options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a person interested in business organization, it's great to hear from RC what their vision is. "values based, culture focused, community engaged, and championship driven."

Great find.

Certainly beats debating endlessly whether Patrick Williams or Isaiah Stewart is the real deal . . .
    Don't forget Jalen Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least is sounds like the FO knows they need to get their together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the way the Spurs manage their roster is similar to how a professional poker plays poker. Just look at the part in the article where it says a rival GM thinks the Spurs "overplayed their hand", I think it's a ridiculous notion that the price they set on their trade chips isn't calculated. If you constantly bet on your hand, you're not going to win the table. The best poker players know how to calculate the best risks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a nice, in-depth piece. It was written by Jabari Young though, so you can take some of the stuff with a grain of salt. I don't really think the Spurs objectively "overplayed their hands" not dealing Aldridge. I think they were willing to deal him and just didn't get what they wanted. I think even more than DeRozan, they are willing to keep him though. Overplaying is possibly what they did with Kawhi, because they HAD to trade him and just mistimed the window to do so. That's completely different and totally a Jabari special.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at RC not letting Wright speak. Bad look for someone that's supposed to be the gm. Either they know he's incompetent or he really is just Pop/Buford's puppet. Most powerless "general manager" in the league:

It's Wright's job to help fix the roster, and the NBA's economics around its 2020-21 salary cap will be critical. But having been promoted less than a year ago, Wright is still learning the Spurs' way. That came through on the Zoom call.

Asked how the Spurs can rebuild, Buford intercepted Wright's question.

"Jabari let me answer this one," Buford interrupted. "It's more fair for me to [answer] since I've been engaged in this for a long time."

Buford explained the Spurs have never been swayed by public opinion. To back this, he remembered calls to "blow it up" at the end of David Robinson's era, and then again at the end of 2009-10 season.

Buford said the Spurs would continue to address its roster "optimistically and opportunistically." He then mentioned Aldridge's signing, which translated to a Western Conference finals appearance in 2016.

"Things didn't go as we hoped, and it's not on anybody," Buford said. "Some decisions we wished we could've done differently, but I think having the ability to develop young talent and flexibility to be opportunistic is going to be what we're going to continue to do."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the way the Spurs manage their roster is similar to how a professional poker plays poker. Just look at the part in the article where it says a rival GM thinks the Spurs "overplayed their hand", I think it's a ridiculous notion that the price they set on their trade chips isn't calculated. If you constantly bet on your hand, you're not going to win the table. The best poker players know how to calculate the best risks.
    That's part of it as well. For better or worse, the Spurs operate as if they have years to let plans come together. Trade value is not a linear function. Aldridge and DeRozan have extra utility as expiring contracts who are also really good players. There are going to be teams looking to get rid of bad money for next "summer" who will want to also field a compe ive team. Portland is a ty option for Aldridge, but he could be a good one for Miami. DeRozan could make sense for a number of teams that got a reality check about their talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's part of it as well. For better or worse, the Spurs operate as if they have years to let plans come together. Trade value is not a linear function. Aldridge and DeRozan have extra utility as expiring contracts who are also really good players. There are going to be teams looking to get rid of bad money for next "summer" who will want to also field a compe ive team. Portland is a ty option for Aldridge, but he could be a good one for Miami. DeRozan could make sense for a number of teams that got a reality check about their talent.
    Exactly. Their veteran leadership probably has a positive impact for the young players behind closed doors. So many variables involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kurgan the rookie GM might not be trained in PR yet, and may share information that would compromise their leverage. I.E. letting it slip that they're looking for a package for DeMar. Think of the consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until the sign Bryn Forbes to a new 3 year $24 million contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first question on the Zoom call to Buford: In which areas are the Spurs currently weak?

"Are we only going to talk about the weaknesses," Buford answered.

He then spoke of the Spurs' values-based system, mentioned the team's 47 years in the NBA, making the postseason 39 times in that span, and a .599 winning percentage, best in league history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m wondering if anybody fact checks these. They stated that the Spurs have missed the playoffs 8 times, 39/47yrs. They’ve only missed them 5 times, including like 5 minutes ago.

That’s our Jabari, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m wondering if anybody fact checks these. They stated that the Spurs have missed the playoffs 8 times, 39/47yrs. They’ve only missed them 5 times, including like 5 minutes ago.

I wonder why the Spurs permitted an interview like this with Jabari (cnbc) instead of local reporters on expressnews with Tom Orsborn? Seems odd if we all truly believe Jabari was on Kawhi's jock and had an anti-Spurs bias to all his previous reporting of the Spurs.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article. Seems like Jabari is looking to create a little controversy or lack of confidence in the front office.
    Very smart to look to find alternate sources for income.
    Spurs might want to name a successor to Popovich or create a plan to keep coaches. Cant keep having talented coaches poached.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article. Seems like Jabari is looking to create a little controversy or lack of confidence in the front office.
    Very smart to look to find alternate sources for income.
    Spurs might want to name a successor to Popovich or create a plan to keep coaches. Cant keep having talented coaches poached.
    The Spurs (RC Buford) always preach that their actions are based on years ahead. Pretty sure they already have a plan for who is coaching after Pop.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    This is a really good article about the front office, not so much about roster moves. Didn't know Spurs got a guy from Facebook to take over from Buford. Spyrs wasn't to expand to Mexico and Austin. Cashless concession purchase options.
    i have been telling people for a couple years now that the spurs plan on relocating to austin soon..........everyone doubted me well here is the proof......apologize to me........the new kid owners want to leave boring san antonio for austin & they feel it would solve the problem of not being able to sign high profile free agents.......spurs go from small market team to immediate free agent destination with the move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus Aldridge for the 16th pick from the Blazers. Not sure who needs to be added to make the salaries work. Draft Aaron Nesmith and Jalen Smith. Championships.

White/ DJ/ Q
    Keldon/ Lonnie/ Mills
    DeMar/ Hood/ Nesmith
    Smith/ Lyles/ Ariza/ Luka
    Poetl/ Eubanks/ Zach Collins
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-30-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    i have been telling people for a couple years now that the spurs plan on relocating to austin soon..........everyone doubted me well here is the proof......apologize to me........the new kid owners want to leave boring san antonio for austin & they feel it would solve the problem of not being able to sign high profile free agents.......spurs go from small market team to immediate free agent destination with the move
    By soon, you mean twelve years? That's how much time they have left on the lease.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus Aldridge for the 16th pick from the Blazers. Not sure who needs to be added to make the salaries work. Draft Aaron Nesmith and Jalen Smith. Championships.
    Would do it, but not sure what happens on salary front ..

Edit - guess it works with Spurs getting Ariza, Collins and Hood

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just look at it this way -- the Lakers have missed the playoffs more in the last seven years than the Spurs have in their entire existence.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just look at it this way -- the Lakers have missed the playoffs more in the last seven years than the Spurs have in their entire existence.

Lamarcus, Nurkic, and melo won’t work. Portland won’t do that.

Miami would have to send us Iguodala and one of their shooters.

If we have to take salary back after next year I would not do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus, Nurkic, and melo won’t work. Portland won’t do that.

Miami would have to send us Iguodala and one of their shooters.

If we have to take salary back after next year I would not do it.
    I think Miami offers KO + a pick + cap space

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Miami offers KO + a pick + cap space
    NBA cap space is the most overrated "asset" in the history of organized sports.

Thread Information