Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of got the idea he did the same thing to Nike that he did to Toronto. They thought he was going to re-sign a new deal with them, and he already knew he was going to New Balance. And he thought he would just take his logo with him, and let New Balance start slapping it on their shoes.

Nike is just saying the same thing you or I would say: " Kawh… and his uncle... and New Balance." Which reminds me - I haven't said Kawhi in over a week. Kawhi.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i think kawhi will lose. i do kinda remember him saying something like he came up with the idea but nike perfected it. something like that.
    Nike can’t stop him from using his left hand 🤚🏾 Or the ST logo

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Why the would Nike want to keep the rights to a logo they can't use on any other ocassion? I'm all for ing Kawhi up, but that just seems pettiness at it's most bitter version, tbh.
    They -blocked Federer from retaining his RF logo when he signed with Uniqlo

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's Uncle Dennis' hand actually.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I thought they returned it to him a couple months ago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Why the would Nike want to keep the rights to a logo they can't use on any other ocassion? I'm all for ing Kawhi up, but that just seems pettiness at it's most bitter version, tbh.
    nike doesn't want kawhi making money off of what nike paid their designers to perfect. just business tbh.

on a different note, would be interesting if nike won and then put that logo on merchandise and sold it

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I thought they returned it to him a couple months ago?
    Nike asked for an arm & a leg after they eventually canceled the RF collection which actually didn't do well.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    nike doesn't want kawhi making money off of what nike paid their designers to perfect. just business tbh.

on a different note, would be interesting if nike won and then put that logo on merchandise and sold it

Roger Federer recently announced a new ten-year, US$300 million sponsorship deal with Japanese clothing company Uniqlo, bringing an end to a long association with Nike following the expiry of his deal with the US sports giant in March.
    However, the tennis star appeared to open up a potential dispute with his previous sponsor by continuing to wear Nike trainers, most crucially embossed with the famous RF logo, together with his new Uniqlo matchday clothing. Uniqlo do not manufacture trainers and after his first match at Wimbledon Federer confirmed that he did not have a shoe deal in place with anyone for the tournament.
    Nike has so far declined to comment in any detail on the issue, whilst Federer lashed a powerful backhand to his former sponsor by claiming: “It’s also something that was very important for me, for the fans really. They are my initials. They are mine.” Adding that he hoped the RF logo would come back to him at some point.
    In legal terms, Nike is the owner of the trademark in the RF logo in various registries across the world in classes of use covering clothing and footwear. Separately, Federer is the registered owner of trade marks covering his full name and signature, so these are not in dispute.
    In the absence of any commercial agreement between the parties permitting continued use of the RF logo by Federer, he could be held to be infringing Nike’s trademarks, despite them being ‘his’ initials, so the sportswear giant appears to be in a strong bargaining position.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good find with the quotes about Federer. Note that it says Federer is still wearing Nike shoes with the RF logo. Kawhi wants to take Nike's logo with him, so it can go on other brands. If Federer took the logo and slapped it onto Uniqlo products, I'm sure Nike would kick his ass over it.

And that's why Nike is going after Kawhi. They're not going to let him use a logo that belongs to them, and they invested money in making famous, and use it to pimp someone else's product line. If Kawhi decides to go back to Nike when this contract is up, I'm sure that logo will go on his next pair of Nike kicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nike got this. Kawhi does have the idea but Nike perfected it. This is a camp vs. company unless Nike failed to have a contract with Kawhi regarding the logo.

This is somehow like the case of the Facebook, I think there's a rumor that Mark Zuckerberg stole the idea from the Winklevoss twins. However, it wasn't patented or something like that and it's clearly Mark did well in everything for Facebook.

What I'm trying to say is not because you have the idea, doesn't mean you already own the product unless there's an agreement between both parties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it goes to trial. I want to see all the evidence Leonard says he has. Whether he has enough or not you don’t play chicken with someone like Nike.

Why didn’t Nike sue first? I can understand sending the first letter as a warning but Leonard wore it 3-5 more times after that. Nike even sent a second (maybe more?) letter of warning. They let it slide for like 6 months before Leonard finally sued. Weird to me if Nike has it locked up like they claim.
    I wonder if the Nike attorneys will allow Uncle Dennis to sit in on the 4.0 hour plus deposition of KL to help KL answer questions and tell him where to sit?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its funny that the re even chose "the klaw" nickname. When he was first asked what he thinks about it, he said he didnt like it. I guess his uncle made him do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Nike attorneys will allow Uncle Dennis to sit in on the 4.0 hour plus deposition of KL to help KL answer questions and tell him where to sit?
    It's more exciting to think about Uncle being deposed himself to talk about all things nephew

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard can pay for a decent lawyer...but Nike has deeper pockets.
    Maybe Balmer is going to flex some $$$ support.

btw F Nike.
    Understand people wanting to see Nephew and Uncle get exposed, but F the H out of Nike. How the can you pull for them?
    Remember the exposes of 4 year olds gluing together till they lost fingers etc. ing Nike would just show them the door and bring in another disposable slave. That was back when MJ was confronted about it and that iceberg would just say "That's Nikes business."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike been ing people over for years. Notably Jordan and Lebron. Those deals they have are horrible. I’d love to see someone beat the big bad machine one day. I’m over this Kawhi . He’s not coming back guys. Don’t spend your next 20 years bitter and ing over a player that doesn’t want to play for us. If Popovich(and we all know he runs everything) doesn’t start drafting and building on some real talent, then your animosity should be directed towards him. Every team’s fans get mad when they lose their franchise player. All of you would have acted the same way had Duncan left for Orlando and you’re a lying sack of if you say otherwise. When Aldridge and Defrozen leave, none of you will care cuz they suck

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wore 22 in high school then chose 15 in college b/c Carmelo was his favorite player:
    Wow, what the heck, his interviews were superior when he was younger. What happened as he got older?

Its funny that the re even chose "the klaw" nickname. When he was first asked what he thinks about it, he said he didnt like it. I guess his uncle made him do it.
    Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing myself. I thought he didn't like that nickname when they asked him about it.
    Last edited by Ice009; 07-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You keep saying that. If Ballmer pays anything on Kawhi's behalf, it's against the rules. If Ballmer buys the logo from Nike and then gives it to Kawhi, it's against the rules. Think of any scheme where Ballmer's money gets used to benefit Kawhi, outside of Kawhi's salary, and it's against the rules. You can't pay a player extra money under the table, behind the scenes, or any other way. Minnesota made an under the table deal with Joe Smith, and it cost them five years' worth of first round picks. Ballmer isn't risking that to get Kawhi his logo.

Nike got a trademark on the logo in 2014. Kawhi signed off on it, so he knew they owned that trademark. But then he filed for a trademark on the same logo in 2017, knowing that it didn't belong to him. That's called fraud. And by filing that lawsuit against Kawhi, Nike gains a lot of leverage. Because if Kawhi loses (and he will), he's guilty of fraud and not just copyright infringement. Nike just raised the stakes in the poker game.
    Awesome. I hope they win $100+ million in punitive damages. Wipe him and Uncle Fester out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Balmer is going to flex some $$$ support.

btw F Nike.
    Understand people wanting to see Nephew and Uncle get exposed, but F the H out of Nike. How the can you pull for them?
    Remember the exposes of 4 year olds gluing together till they lost fingers etc. ing Nike would just show them the door and bring in another disposable slave. That was back when MJ was confronted about it and that iceberg would just say "That's Nikes business."
    On a bigger macro scale, Nike has really been a big influence moving star players to the big market teams at the expense of the slave market farm teams.

That said, I hope Nike prevails against KL and more so against Uncle Dennis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, what the heck, his interviews were superior when he was younger. What happened as he got older?

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing myself. I thought he didn't like that nickname when they asked him about it.
    There is another clip I heard on the radio and it was a short video KL made about himself in college where he tells how he prepares and trains. He sound very different, very articulate in describing his training and workouts. The radio show played it to show how much different he sounds today. I think it was the Mike Taylor show on Ticket760.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean Leonard is a basketball player and not an artist too? Stunning discovery.

So Leonard and camp sue Nike asking for a trial to declare who owns what. A few weeks back both sides agree to extend the date for Nike to respond. Interesting. And now Nike is countersuing.

I assume the extension was Nike just effing with Leonard and camp and/or they couldn’t reach a settlement and had to file something.

Back when Leonard sued most experts thought it would never reach court and both sides would settle. It’ll be interesting what they say now.
    Most people thought that but this is all about Kawhi's free agency decision.

If he would have joined Lebron's team...Do you really think Nike would make this aggressive move against Kawhi?

Now, Lakers/Lebron are mad as , they said that they got played by Kawhi...and Nike "suddenly" filled a countersuit instead of working a settlement agreement.

Nike was willing to agree with Kawhi's camp like the company did with Federer for the RF logo after he signed with Uniqlo. Where a lawsuit then they signed an agreement that allowed Federer to get his logo back

But when Nike's biggest client Lebron is part of the equation...Things change.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The more I thought about that, the funnier it got. I wish the guy who made the parody videos was still around, because I would LOVE to see a video of Autist in a deposition.

Race 4 Seis Chodus!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. Once a players contract is up, they’re free to do whatever they want. Nephew quit on the team and demanded a trade before his contract was up like a sissy boy.

Thread Information