Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I'd share this with you all...

My folks live next to Gregg Popovich and my step father just had a nice conversation with him. As Pop was out watering a garden in his front yard, the gist of their conversation was probably on the city's watering restrictions and how its a shame we didn't get any rainfall the past couple of days with the cool front, not to mention my step father's alma mater. (My step father is Big Blue UK and Pop likes following basketball in the state of Indiana, so they talk college hoops occasionally).

Before heading back inside, my step father did congratulate Pop on a good season and Pop thanked him and said "well, it didn't finish like we'd planned, though." And my step father commented something about maybe in the offseason a front court player can be found etc. Pop said something like "yeah, that'd be good, but the real problem is our guys just didn't play well. We've got a good team but guys didn't play up to their capabilities, unfortunately." They talked on a couple of other points as well...

I know this isn't exactly breakthrough insight, but it was a personal conversation for what its worth, and while I'd never expect Pop to throw his team under a bus, it is interesting that he's happy with the team makeup, but not with the effort. In other words, Pop didn't say "well, they played their butts off but the ball didn't go through the rim." He basically said that the effort stunk. I think that most of us here know that there were a couple of Spurs players who did not put forth a very good effort, for whatever reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know he'd like to believe that. Yet, did it ever occur to him that perhaps the reason his players didn't play well was because they were matched up against better, younger opposing cast of players?

Let's give Memphis credit, they were directly responsible for causing a lot of the problems the Spurs had, and exposing their various flaws.

Meanwhile, Father Time can be blamed for robbing Duncan of being the player that we've all come to know and appreciate.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your family lives near Pop??!!
    Dude why didn't you put some ''Free Tiago'' signs on his garden during the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know he'd like to believe that. Yet, did it ever occur to him that perhaps the reason his players didn't play well was because they were matched up against better, younger opposing cast of players?

Let's give Memphis credit, they were directly responsible for causing a lot of the problems the Spurs had, and exposing their various flaws.

Meanwhile, Father Time can be blamed for robbing Duncan of being the player that we've all come to know and appreciate.
    I think the problem is that the Spurs did play like crap outside of the matchup problems. I'm thinking specifically about all the missed open shots and all the unforced turnovers. That being said, I can't believe that any NBA coach could overlook the glaring disadvantage the Spurs front court had.

It's incredibly sad that Duncan's last few years are getting wasted like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In other words, we shouldn't expect any significant upgrades to the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring Pop here to discuss about offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, why not? let's give Bonner + a 3rd attempt at producing in the offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can picture pop watering flowers to the point of the entire area flooded with water while cussing himself for being duped by rj everyday until the end of the playoffs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would cut my lawn in a subtle Free Tiago pattern if I lived next to Popovich or plant a colored flower garden with that pattern just to piss him off (unless he had given me some fine wine along the way).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can picture pop watering flowers to the point of the entire area flooded with water while cussing himself for being duped by rj everyday until the end of the playoffs...
    I bet he's even madder about being off by a decimal place on Bonner's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation: "I know RJ and Bonner just got reamed up their tailpipes without lube, but I can't admit that in public because I was the one who gave them long-term contracts. So I'll just pretend that they had a bad few games and we'll give it a go next season with the same gameplan."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop: "I was watering my yard, but the water just didn't fall right. The water's OK"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at the bright side, Spurs fans - if Durant, Dirk, both Gasols, Rose, LeBron and Pierce get injured during the playoffs next year, Pop's master plan is all set to bring home a 5th ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the problem is that the Spurs did play like crap outside of the matchup problems. I'm thinking specifically about all the missed open shots and all the unforced turnovers. That being said, I can't believe that any NBA coach could overlook the glaring disadvantage the Spurs front court had.

It's incredibly sad that Duncan's last few years are getting wasted like this.
    I'm not gonna say we didn't have a front court disadvantage against the Grizz, but after watching them beat up on the Thunder, we did a pretty OK job of limiting those two guys for what we have. We should have gotten game one, game 3 was incredibly close, and game 6 just slipped away from us when Z-Bo went off at the end.

The Thunder have Perkins and Ibaka and still got their assholes smashed. We had Duncan(older but still solid defender), Dice(Ancient but gave a fantastic effort), Bonner( ty but played his butt off on defense for the most part), and Tiago(inexperienced in the playoffs, got thrown out there randomly and still did a solid job).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Before heading back inside, my step father did congratulate Pop on a good season and Pop thanked him and said "well, it didn't finish like we'd planned, though." And my step father commented something about maybe in the offseason a front court player can be found etc. Pop said something like "yeah, that'd be good, but the real problem is our guys just didn't play well. We've got a good team but guys didn't play up to their capabilities, unfortunately." They talked on a couple of other points as well...

I know this isn't exactly breakthrough insight, but it was a personal conversation for what its worth, and while I'd never expect Pop to throw his team under a bus, it is interesting that he's happy with the team makeup, but not with the effort. In other words, Pop didn't say "well, they played their butts off but the ball didn't go through the rim." He basically said that the effort stunk. I think that most of us here know that there were a couple of Spurs players who did not put forth a very good effort, for whatever reasons.
    Last edited by lefty; 05-04-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: LOL @ SLOMO playing the internetz cop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, why not? let's give Bonner + a 3rd attempt at producing in the offseason

BOOK IT! I would bet on it. Some idiots will say well Bonner is shooting 50% early in the year and it might be different this year RJ will start out good as well and fade later on. These things are like clockwork.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's right. Spurs played terribly. Not any where close to their capabilities, even if those capabilities weren't conducive to a le.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely agree with Pop. The watering restrictions are draconian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not gonna say we didn't have a front court disadvantage against the Grizz, but after watching them beat up on the Thunder, we did a pretty OK job of limiting those two guys for what we have. We should have gotten game one, game 3 was incredibly close, and game 6 just slipped away from us when Z-Bo went off at the end.

The Thunder have Perkins and Ibaka and still got their assholes smashed. We had Duncan(older but still solid defender), Dice(Ancient but gave a fantastic effort), Bonner( ty but played his butt off on defense for the most part), and Tiago(inexperienced in the playoffs, got thrown out there randomly and still did a solid job).
    The thunder actually dominated the paint for the most part, it was the outside shooting of Gasol & Randolph that was the difference. Once those shots start clanking, the thunder will take control of the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the team did not play well...ITS UR JOB TO WAKE THEM UP!!!!!
    if tim does not wanna play..sit his ass down! or slap till he's awake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thunder actually dominated the paint for the most part, it was the outside shooting of Gasol & Randolph that was the difference. Once those shots start clanking, the thunder will take control of the series.
    They're both really good shooters. If they start clanking it won't be to the level you think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that the Spurs are probably not going back to the Finals with this core group anymore. I can't think of any team in recent history that won championships with a core group, then missed the Finals for several years in a row, then reached the Finals again with the orignal and aged core group.

What has been one of our strengths will also turn out to be a weakness. Having a "big three" means that unless they all quit at once, the Spurs will probably be too good to make the lottery but not good enough to really challenge for a le.

Zip it up and Zip it out. WeNeedLength's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't read this thread because lefty's ed it all to with that ridiculous sig....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just turn your sigs off in the control panel.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a sig, it's a reply.

Thread Information