Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, if they didn't do it for Bill, Mike or the first Black player then they should refrain from doing so for Kobe.

Mark Cuban being the ultimate ass kisser with this move, TBH. Just like Pat Riley before him......

Retiring his number by opposing teams is an empty gesture that won't help with his family's grief or bring him back.
    It's a different time, athletes/celebrities have more of an impact than ever before. This death is going to resonate far more than Jordan winning 6 rings or Russell's rings or whatever other reason there would be to retire a number league-wide.

And as others said earlier, celebrity deaths have a huge impact in elevating legacies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is. But eh, people live, people die. Some people live to be 110+ and die peacefully of old age with a long storied legacy. Some people like Kobe or Jimi Hendrix die young with a bigtime legacy in spite of their short life. And some children never live to grow up, like Kobe's daughter or all the millions of sweet little children each year who die of cancer etc. It's the course of nature, people live, people die, some people get it better and longer than others and life isn't fair. People should get over it.
    Just like life and death are a part of life, so is grief and grieving. Clearly, it will affect people on different levels if at all.

And it is a part of the human condition, so there is no point in saying people should "get over it" or "move on."

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think both are true, TBH. Kind of like with Steve Jobs, except he never physically raped anyone, who I had a hard time "mourning" the death of too. Still sucks for their families, fans and friends.

I probably won't "mourn" Jordan's death either knowing he's likely a sociopath too.
    Yeah I've always hated Apple/Macintosh but the way Steve Jobs died saddened me a lot worse than the way Kobe or especially, how Chester Bennington for example (one of my teenage idols) died.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is. But eh, people live, people die. Some people live to be 110+ and die peacefully of old age with a long storied legacy. Some people live to ripe old age but have a boring ass life. Some people like Kobe or Jimi Hendrix die young with a bigtime legacy in spite of their short life. And some children never live to grow up, like Kobe's daughter or all the millions of sweet little children each year who die of cancer etc. It's the course of nature, people live, people die, some people get it better and longer than others and life isn't fair. People should get over it.
    Sure, but it's still sad that a young girl died, my

I'm not going to pretend like it's going to have any affect on my life, it obviously isn't, but still sad to die so young. It's especially sad for her mother and sisters, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like life and death are a part of life, so is grief and grieving. Clearly, it will affect people on different levels if at all.

And it is a part of the human condition, so there is no point in saying people should "get over it" or "move on."

You are an idiot, so you'll likely respond with some inane bull .
    What about the millions of kids every year that die of cancer? Or all the adults who die of heart attacks, strokes and cancer? What about them? They don't make the news. Are their lives necessarily less important than Kobe or his family? I don't believe so. So how come we don't grieve and mourn every day for all the people who die tragically every day?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but it's still sad that a young girl died, my
    It definitely is. But when one of my mom's best teaching co-worker friend's daughters died at 12 of leukemia, the entire media and internet world didn't mourn over her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I've always hated Apple/Macintosh but the way Steve Jobs died saddened me a lot worse than the way Kobe or especially, how Chester Bennington for example (one of my teenage idols) died.
    Cancer sucks and so does death in general. Whether by accident, suicide or terminal illness.

I apologize for calling you an idiot in my earlier post. I'll delete the statement. Carry on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, and why retire #24 when he also wore #8 through a good portion of his career? Oh, because it is an empty gesture and PR stunt by Cuban.

Mark should have been that vigilante and caring when he had a sexual predator roaming his offices, assaulting and harassing his female employees.
    It's tragic he lost his life the way he did but like you said this is an overreaction by Cuban. It also shows how fake Cuban is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is. But eh, people live, people die. Some people live to be 110+ and die peacefully of old age with a long storied legacy. Some people live to ripe old age but have a boring ass life. Some people like Kobe or Jimi Hendrix die young with a bigtime legacy in spite of their short life. And some children never live to grow up, like Kobe's daughter or all the millions of sweet little children each year who die of cancer etc. It's the course of nature, people live, people die, some people get it better and longer than others and life isn't fair. People should get over it.
    Agreed Kobe lived a short life but he got to experience highs very few people will experience in 70-80 years of their lives.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd bet anything that Silver will try to get Kobe's jersey retired league-wide IMO. Nobody is going to oppose after the man and his young daughter died.

It would be a nice gesture, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about the millions of kids every year that die of cancer? Or all the adults who die of heart attacks, strokes and cancer? What about them? They don't make the news. Are their lives necessarily less important than Kobe or his family? I don't believe so. So how come we don't grieve and mourn every day for all the people who die tragically every day?
    No, all human life has value. Equal value, actually.

Whether right or wrong, athletes, entertainers and other public figures spend more time in our individual and public conciousness. Which leads to gestures and condolences sent to people you may have never meet before.

Doesn't meant that all the people who are in that public consciousness are irrelevant when they likely matter to someone. Or if they don't have family, friends or acquaintances they are still human.

Anyway, back to the bickering back and forth ST.......
    Last edited by J_Paco; 01-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cancer sucks and so does death in general. Whether by accident, suicide or terminal illness.

I apologize for calling you an idiot in my earlier post. I'll delete the statement. Carry on.
    Yes. I'm just saying that some people's death has different effects on different people. I did like basketball growing up, but rock music was my life, so Bennington's death made me a lot more upset than Kobe's. But if it was Timmy.... probably a different story. I saw Kobe not only as an adversary but also kind of a jerk and sociopath. Probably softened up after his kids started growing up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd bet anything that Silver will try to get Kobe's jersey retired league-wide IMO. Nobody is going to oppose after the man and his young daughter died.

If he does he's the biggest phony of a commish ever. Not even Roberto Clemente - a legitimate humanitarian and philanthropist - has been given that respect in the MLB and died in very similar cir stances.

And no disrespect intended, but Kobe sure as ain't Jackie Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

which one? Prime Kobe was #8, his best career moments were #8, such as the 3-peat, breaking the 3pt shots in a game record, the 62 points in 3 quarters game, and of course the 81 point game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol I didn't say he deserved anything, just that it's a better world today. No doubt about that.
    How exactly is it a better world? For most of us his death will not affect us any but for the ones he mattered to it sure as is not.

What's gotten into you lately my ? You've been acting weird af.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, all human life has value. Equal value, actually.

Whether right or wrong, athletes, entertainers and other public figures spend more time in our individual and public conciousness. Which leads to gestures and condolences sent to people you may have never meet before.

Doesn't meant that all the people who are in that public consciousness are irrelevant when they likely matter to someone. Or if they don't have family, friends or acquaintances they are still human.

Anyway, back to the bickering back and forth ST.......
    I don't think all life has equal value. Nobody cried when Charles Manson died. Or Osama or Baghdadi. They were legitimate evil. Evil deserves to die.

With Kobe, I don't believe he was evil at all... he was a me-first primadonna, cold hearted early in his career but after he had kids and reconciled his marriage he turned into a better person... but he was never the murderous or torturous type of evil... whatever you think of the Kate Faber incident, it's not like she was a child when they had sex. Kobe was the type of guy who just wanted the very best for himself and everything to himself. Selfish, but, not evil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed Kobe lived a short life but he got to experience highs very few people will experience in 70-80 years of their lives.
    yeah, like I said, guys can live to 115 and have a super boring life, 9-5 career, retired and maybe traveled a few places, maybe not, but only remembered by close family and their closest friends' progeny

whereas everyone will remember Kobe, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix etc even though they all died young

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly is it a better world? For most of us his death will not affect us any but for the ones he mattered to it sure as is not.

What's gotten into you lately my ? You've been acting weird af.
    Already stated it in it's respective post. One less egomaniac, snitch, cheater and alleged rapist in this world. That's a good thing, wouldn't you agree?

What's tragic is that he couldn't go alone, he had to drag his kid with him... smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrific news. made me nauseous. I couldn’t explain to my family that the death of this man I hated and rooted against for years had such an effect on me. Jay Williams’ response was profound. Spurs fans should all pay homage to their greatest villain, he deserved a better end than this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already stated it in it's respective post. One less egomaniac, snitch, cheater and alleged rapist in this world. That's a good thing, wouldn't you agree?

What's tragic is that he couldn't go alone, he had to drag his kid with him... smh
    he should have taken Nancy and Pocahontas with him instead tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrific news. made me nauseous. I couldn’t explain to my family that the death of this man I hated and rooted against for years had such an effect on me. Jay Williams’ response was profound. Spurs fans should all pay homage to their greatest villain, he deserved a better end than this.
    yeah I agree... in childhood I lost my temper thousands of times over ball games and probably wished Kobe dead around 8,531 times or so, but a calm me never would have said or meant that... like I legit hated Kobe and sometimes wished he'd never been born or at least never picked up a basketball, but he didn't deserve to die like this, and watch his daughter die in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh ElNono

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I merely pointed out facts... you're the one acting up like the spurned wife

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    people taking ElNonos bait left and right

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    yeah I agree... in childhood I lost my temper thousands of times over ball games and probably wished Kobe dead around 8,531 times or so, but a calm me never would have said or meant that... like I legit hated Kobe and sometimes wished he'd never been born or at least never picked up a basketball, but he didn't deserve to die like this, and watch his daughter die in the process.
    Dying knowing you can't save your daughter from the same fate is beyond cruel...

Thread Information