Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully we get the version of the Nuggets that could barely beat the Wolves last night.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is the key. Sucks to depend so much on a single second-year player, but it's been that way all year. When available and playing well, this is a completely different team.
    1999 we had to depend on a 2nd year player called Tim Duncan and it worked out for us... the good old days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nuggets are a good match-up on paper. They play as slow as the Spurs (98.91 pace for SA to 98.52 for Nuggets - 26th in the NBA). Also despite being athletic they're not great at fast break points (15th) or going to the line (25th).

They'd allow the Spurs to stay big for a long time, especially when they play Jokic and Plumlee together, while also giving Pop the option of dragging Millsap away from the basket if they play Bertans or Gay and force Jokic to guard LMA, probably resulting in tons of double teams and possibly open 3s.

Which leads to their main strengths - Nuggets are 1st in the NBA at defending the 3, which is troublesome and also 1st in offensive rebounding and 2nd chance points. Spurs are very good at defensive rebounding (5th, tied with Denver) but they have to be extra concentrated when boxing out to prevent 3s after offensive rebounds, which are real killers. If the Spurs take away these Nuggets strengths, at least somewhat, then they'd have a decent chance as Denver are very pedestrian in FG% (13th), 3P% (17th) and as mentioned earlier at going to the line (25th in FTA).

One of the x factors would be how the Spurs fare against their athletic bench perimeter players - Morris, Beasley and Craig who are good and efficient shooters. Pop might have to be a bit more creative with the bench units to neutralize them.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed with all of that but I hate Harden and know too many rocket a-holes that will talk
    Better than snow gots from the gay bay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We have played decently against the playoffs field for most part.

The only reason they don't have home-court in the first round is because they have laid too many eggs against the dregs of the league (added to their utter hopelessness on the road)

Kinda give me a glimmer of hope for this series..

^^ PS. As DAF86 said in the other thread. Boston and Philly are the two most overrated teams in the league/playoffs. , even this mediocre Spurs team was a choke away from sweeping both in the reg season.
    Last edited by spursistan; 04-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I do give spurs a chance against anybody but the Warriors. Very strong at home, and in the PO's you can bet that pop will scream the Team into a better defense.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have played decently against the playoffs field for most part.

The only reason they don't have home-court in the first round is because they have laid too many eggs against the dregs of the league (added to their utter hopelessness on the road)

Kinda give me a glimmer of hope for this series..

^^ PS. As DAF86 said in the other thread. Boston and Philly are the two most overrated teams in the league/playoffs. , even this mediocre Spurs team was a choke away from sweeping both in the reg season.
    I wonder if there's a version of this that shows home vs road. The Spurs had the worst defense against good teams, but the second-best offense. The Nuggets don't look too scary based on this, either. The 2/3/6/7 half of the West bracket is looking wide open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disappearing act:

Young nugs in playoff atmosphere vs. Playoff derozan

Who vanishes first? Which team has enough extra to survive if those en ies do vanish?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have lma and ddr, 2 playoff chokers who play down to the compe ion

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disappearing act:

Who vanishes first? Which team has enough extra to survive if those en ies do vanish?
    If both teams vanish, do POR and OC just get a bye and play each other in the 2nd round?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If both teams vanish, do POR and OC just get a bye and play each other in the 2nd round?
    Nope.In that case Lebron James and the Lakers get the wild card entry and go on to play against OKC in the WCSF and proceed to win the whole thing.

Royal Rumble surprise entry at #30 style.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disappearing act:

It would be nice for DeRozan to redeem himself. Not so much because he's been bad with us but as far as his previous playoff failures go. He's known as a playoff choker, more specifically as the one who can't beat Lebron. Well, he already did better than Lebron this year with both teams 1st years in the West.

Would be nice to see DeRozan remove those playoff demons and actually make winning plays in crunch time. If he can do that, we'll be tough to beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see derozan being a different player in the playoffs now that hes on a different team.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    It would be nice for DeRozan to redeem himself. Not so much because he's been bad with us but as far as his previous playoff failures go. He's known as a playoff choker, more specifically as the one who can't beat Lebron. Well, he already did better than Lebron this year with both teams 1st years in the West.

Would be nice to see DeRozan remove those playoff demons and actually make winning plays in crunch time. If he can do that, we'll be tough to beat.
    yep, dude just gets crapped on by everyone and no one is taking him seriously to start the playoffs. hopefully he change that perception because he's not the #1 playing next to a choker PG against Lebron every year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just listened to the Simmons-Russillo playoffs pod. They think it's not even conceivable the Spurs can win. That's weird. They think Brooklyn and Utah have chances for an upset but not the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have lma and ddr, 2 playoff chokers who play down to the compe ion
    people hate on LMAlpha because of what happened after nephew got zsa-zsa'd but to be honest what one player besides I think Lebron the following year could handle the pack of wolves that is the Dubs without any significant help? Last year was the nephew sabotage year and LMA's only other season was Timmay's final season with us right when we lost to the Thunder, don't really recall people feeling that was LMA's fault and that was the Thunder team that should have beat the Dubs that year. My point being while not a super nova, LMA as a playoff choker at least with us is a bit overblown.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus is going to go OKC series games 1-2 on these es

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just listened to the Simmons-Russillo playoffs pod. They think it's not even conceivable the Spurs can win. That's weird. They think Brooklyn and Utah have chances for an upset but not the Spurs.
    I was listening to SiriusXM earlier and they seem to think Spurs can pull it off. even Joel Myers thinks we can reach the WCF

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk about Nikola Jokic being miles better than Aldridge is crazy!!! The only reason to take Jokic over Aldridge would be age but I think Aldridge is still better. However a prime LA and Jokic shouldn't be in the same sentence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect LA to come out for the first 2 games like he did against OKC in 2016 when he dropped 40 on them in back to back games. He definitely elevates his game in the playoffs, it has to be seen if Jokic can do the same. I assume Denver will double him and Spurs will double Jokic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing that PATFO will conjure a plan against Jokic that will send the Nuggets to an early summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect LA to come out for the first 2 games like he did against OKC in 2016 when he dropped 40 on them in back to back games. He definitely elevates his game in the playoffs, it has to be seen if Jokic can do the same. I assume Denver will double him and Spurs will double Jokic
    Actually considering Jokic is a GOAT level passer with incredible vision I think single coverage is better because he will find the open man if gets doubled

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Joker is a pass-first guy. I think we should go the opposite way: try to make him score 30+ points every game. I’m not sure he’ll be comfortable doing this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just need Derrick white to be aggressive and the bench to hit 3s at a 40% rate and it's spurs in 6.

Thread Information