Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is legit concern about Pop damaging the relationship with the youth and that would be fireable. He cannot afford to leave the team in shambles and the youth forcing trades or bolting in FA due to friction with Pop just because Pop wanted to cling to 42 wins would be unforgivable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is legit concern about Pop damaging the relationship with the youth and that would be fireable. He cannot afford to leave the team in shambles and the youth forcing trades or bolting in FA due to friction with Pop just because Pop wanted to cling to 42 wins would be unforgivable.
    Who does Pop have a bad relationship with among the youth? What did I miss?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have to reach consistent bottom-feeder status to even have that conversation IMO.

They made the playoffs last season, we aren't even close to reaching the point where anybody should be asking for Pop to be forced out.
    Public force out is out of the question for me.

Privately, inner circle like Duncan etc, any assistants who have a spine should absolutely have begun floating it. Well I guess with assistants that could get awkward. Holts and upper management absolutely. This idea that two entire seasons of bottom feeder have to take place is disrespectful to players (Non Pets that is) and all paying customers and Spurs fans.

The other night when he got ejected and it was shown he purposely had no assistant to take over is beyond embarrassing.
    Ditto the game on the line 5 second violation.
    Lineups of Patty n Forbes on D.
    We're now 14th of 15th West teams. That is bottom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please leave. The Big 3 era is long gone, there’s no heroes coming in to make the Spurs instant contenders again. With the way Pop is coaching, it’s like watching Mark Jackson or mike brown out there. Just no plan or passion for the game anymore.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From someone speaking as to being in attendance for a recent game, White looked incredibly frustrated when getting yanked and not playing in critical moments of the game. He would visibly show his frustration when he would see someone of lesser talent go to the table to sub him out prematurely when he was still good for 5-8 more minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the moment? Not sure. But look at the treatment of Lonnie. Look at him benching Dejounte “the future” for Mills. White being relegated to bench despite a breakout year and not getting too many minutes.

I am saying I can see it leading down that path and if it does? That is bad, bad news. Its one thing for young players to have to shut up on the bench if the team is winning. It’s another building up resentment watching Beli/Mills/Forbes get minutes over you while you get blamed.

Pop had friction with LMA so I dont think it’s something to just dismiss at this point but obviously plenty of time to correct things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been punking that kid with the weird hardo... actually, both of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the moment? Not sure. But look at the treatment of Lonnie. Look at him benching Dejounte “the future” for Mills. White being relegated to bench despite a breakout year and not getting too many minutes.

I am saying I can see it leading down that path and if it does? That is bad, bad news. Its one thing for young players to have to shut up on the bench if the team is winning. It’s another building up resentment watching Beli/Mills/Forbes get minutes over you while you get blamed.

Pop had friction with LMA so I dont think it’s something to just dismiss at this point but obviously plenty of time to correct things.
    I haven't been a fan of Pop as a coach for a few years(coaches need to be administrative assistants in today's NBA more often than not), but the Spurs aren't at the point where they need to force him out, that's a stretch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been a fan of Pop as a coach for a few years(coaches need to be administrative assistants in today's NBA more often than not), but the Spurs aren't at the point where they need to force him out, that's a stretch
    I agree. I am probably worrying to much, but man, the situation seems bad. Not in terms of wanting Pop gone. I don’t. But the atmosphere is there for the young guys to resent the situation - or do you not agree?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The turning point was last year when Pop was commenting about the state of the league and saying “it’s not basketball” anymore and you had Steph Curry basically saying “Ok boomer” to his comment. Not to mention Bill Simmons and his remarks (which is beginning to look on point even though the sniffers will sniff away). It seems like no one other than the yes men in the Spurs organization regard Pop as much as they use to. He really is on a Kobe retirement tour at this point and the sooner he’s gone from the team, the better.

GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Pop "Soon I won't be" quote seems deadly serious in another wise light-hearted scrum.
    I don't believe he had made this comment prior to my OP. If he had, it would have been on the list as another dead giveaway. He is telegraphing my premise IMHO.

In defense of how Pop is coaching the team right now, which goes to the read on the situation articulated in the OP, as the faithful steward he HAS to continue to play LMA/DDR for two primary reasons. To maximize their potential trade value by (artificially) inflating their stats which I am sure they understand is important in the process of procuring a trade. The second, and probably just as important to Pop and by extension the kids, is to maintain to the best extent possible the overall wellbeing of the team. There is absolutely no way in my mind LMA/DDR camps don't know a trade is in the works. I am sure they have assured both camps they will accommodate the best senario possible that benefits both camps and the franchise in exchange for them continuing to keep their mouths shut and not stir up turmoil within the team and by extension media. The cost of ensuring their cooperation is the guarantee their minutes/numbers will not be sacrificed in any way. DDR is playing for a contract and needs his numbers more than anyone on the team. LMA will be playing for a contract next year and has always been consumed with numbers/touches/allstar nods. As I stated in the OP, I am sure they are waiting for the December triggering date when more players/contracts are available for trade, and I wouldn't be shocked they already have deals in place for both players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There is absolutely no way in my mind LMA/DDR camps don't know a trade is in the works. ...
    To whom do you imagine the Spurs are going to trade LMA? In your answer, please take into account: 1) last Oct 23 the Spurs fully guaranteed LMA's $24 million contractual amount for next year, and 2) LMA's contract includes a 15% trade kicker, the maximum amount permitted under the CBA.

To whom do you imagine the Spurs are going to trade DDR, when he has a player option for $27.7 million next year if he simply stays with the Spurs?

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to be traded, I'm only wondering how you think a trade can be worked out, and with whom?

Thread Information