My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed COJO and Durant having a laughing conversation while Joseph was trying to guard him by fronting him. It looked like he came up to Durant's waist. I bet Durant was saying something like, "Really. Are you kidding me little man?"

At one point I looked up and Bonner, Joseph and Mills were on the floor together (with Bellinelli and Ayers I think). I'm surprised the margin of victory was so narrow.
    Context:

100 - 96. OKC ball. Durant takes his own left hand and hooks it around Bellinis arm pit and shoves him away. Bellini falls to the floor. An obvious push off on Bellini right in front of Spurs bench. The black ref awards Pizza Face a defensive foul against Bellini. It's literally Kobe level of bogusness. The ref slowly walks directly in front of Popped, who actually backs up a step, just stands there with his hands in his pockets and does not say a word to the ref. Now I'm not a big fan of coaches ranting and screaming. But in this case, compounded 100Xs by the fact all involved are right by the Spurs bench, just makes me go ????

Jeff Van Grunty, not the sharpest tool in the shed nor do we need his approval, simply states the obvious -"That's an offensive foul".

Horn sounds, Perkins comes out, Cory Joseph comes in for Diaw. So plenty of time to adjust the upcoming inbounds defense.
    Inbounds.
    Parker is guarding Durant out by the arc. Derrek Swisher inbounds to Durant. Swisher then runs to the corner and is guarded by Bellini. This is not a switch, Parker was on Durant one on one all the way. Ibaka comes over (slowly btw) and makes the most elementary screen on Parker. Tim lumbers out after Ibaka but is not even close to the screen, instead stopping and standing well inside the arc. Durant simply takes a step sideways, jumps into the air, lands with both feet bunnyhop (travelling?), lands and rejumps for the completely uncontested trey. OKC now up 7 with 2:00 to go.

Spurs then turn the ball over on a lazy exchange from Parker to Duncan. Stolen, passed for breakaway dunk by Ibaka and for all intents ballgame.

Next OKC possession comes the play Bill was talking about. (i think Bill, unless there was yet another "Joseph on Durant" play.

Related. At 96-90 OKC with 4:40 left, GNob did one of his cool tuck the ball like a fullback break for the endzone layup drives. Durant obviously fouls Manu as he runs past, then after the layup Ibaka bodies him to boot. ABC with the very good Slomo replay showing both obvious fouls. No call. Which to me makes the Pop silence two minutes later all the more baffling.

Why the Parker on Durant one on one?
    Coming out of a break to boot. Not out of a timeout but still with a subs ution in between. Sure the Spurs have injuries but are you telling me no one else besides Parker can guard Durant? Please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed that as well. I was thinking it was a switch or due to injury issues or something but there is really no sane excuse for telling TP to go guard Durant on the perimeter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was shocked that Manu wasn't stuck on Durant the whole game after bending him over in the 2nd(or 3rd, I can't remember) quarter. And if not ginobili then it should have been Boris. None of our PGs should have guarded him.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have only 2 guys that play defense, kawhi and green. Tiago plays defense by taking up space and defense for the spurs as a team hasn't been a staple for a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili was a bad idea on Durant tbh. I think it tired him out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have only 2 guys that play defense, kawhi and green. Tiago plays defense by taking up space and defense for the spurs as a team hasn't been a staple for a few years.
    Bellini is on the floor for this play. Guarding Fisher.
    Bellini had been doing a good job on Durant imo. I did not watch the whole game but that offensive foul on Durant that Bellini drew was nails. (Called as a defensive foul on Bellini.) Should have been a key turnover.

Parker on Durant vs Bellini on Durant?
    Compounded by the fact that Fisher is on the floor for OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant did clearly foul Belinelli (worst call of the game imo), and Ibaka clearly shoves Manu after that layup so it should have been an And 1. . .but aside from those closing plays (yes I know, worst ones to get wrong) the refs didn't give OKC much help imo. I didn't have any major complaints besides the end-calls.

Hop step landing then going for a shot immediately isn't a travel either btw. That was a legit play by Durant. Lots of players do it. . .in fact Manu had a game winner doing exactly that 2-3 years ago against the Bucks that a bunch of fans were ing up a storm over claiming it was a travel when it wasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the Parker on Durant one on one?
    Coming out of a break to boot. Not out of a timeout but still with a subs ution in between. Sure the Spurs have injuries but are you telling me no one else besides Parker can guard Durant? Please.
    It was obvious in the moment that there was a lot of confusion on that particular play, probably in part because of the subs ution. It wasn't clear (from where I was sitting) who the Spurs intended to use on Durant and -- more troubling, I thought, in the moment -- nobody seemed to know who should go with Fisher. Marco ultimately ran out to him, perhaps because it started to smell a lot like a possession on which Fisher would sneak to the corner and get a wide open catch-and-shoot opportunity. The Thunder kept the ball up high and dealt with the Spurs confusion that way.

I think some of that was the sort of confusion that you would expect when you're playing combinations that have never been together in key moments of a tight game without the benefit of a timeout. Some of it was just lack of preparation by the coaching staff, I thought.

But Pop did deliberately use both Parker and Joseph on Durant at times during the 4th quarter. Parker at least has a history of being somewhat effective when switched onto a similar player like Nowitzki, making that choice somewhat defensible in that way. I think, too, at that point, winning the game felt like an unlikelihood (given the score difference, the firepower available to the other team, and the available bodies to try to deal with that firepower) and it made some sense to use that time to try something that might be perceived as crazy, like putting some small guys on Durant to see what happens -- not all that different from putting Boris Diaw on Lebron James and finding that you can get some relatively surprising results. Durant made them pay, as he should have. And, ultimately, there's pretty much nobody on the planet, no matter how short or tall, that can effectively defend Kevin Durant -- that's why he's Kevin Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant did clearly foul Belinelli (worst call of the game imo), and Ibaka clearly shoves Manu after that layup so it should have been an And 1. . .but aside from those closing plays (yes I know, worst ones to get wrong) the refs didn't give OKC much help imo. I didn't have any major complaints besides the end-calls.

Hop step landing then going for a shot immediately isn't a travel either btw. That was a legit play by Durant. Lots of players do it. . .in fact Manu had a game winner doing exactly that 2-3 years ago against the Bucks that a bunch of fans were ing up a storm over claiming it was a travel when it wasn't.
    There were a few things that were puzzling, and I thought Brent Barnaky (the young official) had a bad night. But the Spurs spent most of the night in the bonus and the Thunder didn't live at the line. I agree about the officiating.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was mentioned on here, once the Spurs got into the bonus they stopped attacking the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was mentioned on here, once the Spurs got into the bonus they stopped attacking the rim.
    It's like they do it on purpose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right guys, they always do that get into bonus with 9 MINUTES remaining on that quarter and nothing.
    I mean what wrong with you Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was obvious in the moment that there was a lot of confusion on that particular play, probably in part because of the subs ution. It wasn't clear (from where I was sitting) who the Spurs intended to use on Durant and -- more troubling, I thought, in the moment -- nobody seemed to know who should go with Fisher. Marco ultimately ran out to him, perhaps because it started to smell a lot like a possession on which Fisher would sneak to the corner and get a wide open catch-and-shoot opportunity. The Thunder kept the ball up high and dealt with the Spurs confusion that way.

I think some of that was the sort of confusion that you would expect when you're playing combinations that have never been together in key moments of a tight game without the benefit of a timeout. Some of it was just lack of preparation by the coaching staff, I thought.
    Another caveat here is that Popped took Diaw out of the game during this subs ution.

I think, too, at that point, winning the game felt like an unlikelihood (given the score difference, the firepower available to the other team, and the available bodies to try to deal with that firepower) and it made some sense to use that time to try something that might be perceived as crazy, like putting some small guys on Durant to see what happens -- not all that different from putting Boris Diaw on Lebron James and finding that you can get some relatively surprising results. Durant made them pay, as he should have. And, ultimately, there's pretty much nobody on the planet, no matter how short or tall, that can effectively defend Kevin Durant -- that's why he's Kevin Durant.
    I also got that feel like Popped was thinking 'meh not much of a chance, so try something crazy that just might work'. I completely disagree with the strategy, but yes you are to the point (thank you) that perhaps this was the reasoning. To me it was only a 4 point deficit, 2 minutes plus remaining. So many better options (leave Diaw in, Bells on Durant, etc). Shoot if we're just gonna put out crazy how about Malc Thomas off the bench rather then shipping his ass out with a Parker-on-Durant as Malc is nailed to the pine for his Spurs swan song.

Sidenote on the subject of Fisher, was he as disgusting live as it was on the tube watching him try to manipulate yet another call his way on the loose ball play? The one where Patty most correctly went for the loose ball. Patty did not land on Fisher NFL style, crushing him purposely with his weight but rather had to reach across Fisher to get to the ball. I replayed it several times and 100% mode by Fisher during the scuffle. Then Fisher gets up from the pile and does his housewife glare stare.

It's a tossup who is the all time regarding bogus calls, he or Bryant.
    Yes i know he is the players union president. There has got to be some way untold story how Fisher pulled and continues to pull the bull he does and escapes accountability.
    I found this link off Princess Kori Ellis other site:

Derek Fisher is a Lying, Thieving Charlatan with Terrible Karma

http://www.everyjoe.com/2013/03/01/s...errible-karma/

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right guys, they always do that get into bonus with 9 MINUTES remaining on that quarter and nothing.
    I mean what wrong with you Pop?
    You sure do love playing the Pop card. To bad you have no ability to rationalize beyond that clueless kneejerk reaction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mul roll

Patty Mills was giving Fisher a taste of his own medicine. He was being annoying, harassing him, and in his grill on D. Fisher can dish, but can't it.

I loved the fire Mills brought. Wish other guys would let their emotions go like that every once in awhile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mul roll

Patty Mills was giving Fisher a taste of his own medicine. He was being annoying, harassing him, and in his grill on D. Fisher can dish, but can't it.

I loved the fire Mills brought. Wish other guys would let their emotions go like that every once in awhile.
    +1. I loved seeing Mills get rough with that pos Fisher. That guy is the biggest and I hate when Spurs just take it in the mouth and are too classy to respond. I think we've been too soft lately, and you don't need to be a thug, just need to return the favor like Mills did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    parker couldn't guard any of us up here on this forum with the ability to drive hard to the basket. i've never seen a guy as fast as him that is just not capable of staying in front of ANYONE.

Thread Information