Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the end of the day they are professionals who have demonstrated an outstanding ability to draft and develop players.

and we are the loudmouths on a message board that don't know repeating what "Draft Central Express" writes or some other bull that makes us feel good
    I’m usually team PATFO, but they broke trust with me by breaking their rule of BPA. Josh Primo was not BPA. I get that they think he’ll be a lottery pick next year, but do they really think that picking a HUGE reach like this is going to lift them out of a two year lottery streak? And if they’re going to be in the lottery again, PICK HIM NEXT YEAR, and make a lottery pick for this year, this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one of these recent 12th picks do you think could take the Spurs back to contention?

2019 PJ Washington, Kentucky – Charlotte Hornets
    2018 Miles Bridges, Michigan State University – Charlotte Hornets
    2017 Luke Kennard, Duke – Detroit Pistons
    2016 Taurean Prince, Baylor – Utah Jazz
    2015 Trey Lyles, Kentucky – Utah Jazz
    2014 Dario Saric, Croatia – Orlando Magic
    2013 Steven Adams, Pittsburgh – Oklahoma City Thunder
    2012 Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut – Houston Rockets
    2011 Alec Burks, Colorado – Utah Jazz
    2010 Xavier Henry, Kansas – Memphis Grizzlies

Get a ing grip we are the Pacers until we land a top talent again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m usually team PATFO, but they broke trust with me by breaking their rule of BPA. Josh Primo was not BPA. I get that they think he’ll be a lottery pick next year, but do they really think that picking a HUGE reach like this is going to lift them out of a two year lottery streak? And if they’re going to be in the lottery again, PICK HIM NEXT YEAR, and make a lottery pick for this year, this year.
    Exactly my thoughts. This player is still there next year. They punted this year for a player who would still only be around #12 next year. Big opportunity cost in doing so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    come on dude you're just angry.

how THE can they "pick him next year"? he's in THIS ing draft!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker, Samanic, and Vassell have been pretty underwhelming picks to say the least as of late. Only Keldon Johnson has shown anything among the recent picks.
    Walker is a bust, Samanic needs to show something this year, but I’ll give Vassell a pass. He was playing well in limited minutes until he got the Rona. He may well be the year 2 breakout player that Keldon was last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly my thoughts. This player is still there next year. They punted this year for a player who would still only be around #12 next year. Big opportunity cost in doing so.
    which players from the 2020 draft should they have taken last night?

this doesn't even make ing sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you're making the point you think you are. You're basically saying "They liked Primo." That's pretty obvious, since they picked him.
    The point I'm making is that they like Primo more than Sengun and picked Primo over Sengun intentionally and with clear heads. It's not reasonable to think they didn't pick Sengun due to being flustered or some other error. It's a dead end to try to push the idea that they valued Sengun more than Primo. Even though there's a chance that's the case, it's so small that it's not a reasonable position to hold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I’ve been saying and agree timvp - the FO has not adapted at all and all the signs have been there. It’s beyond alarming at this point. It’s downright past the time to really take a look at a major FO overhaul.

No matter how much the results have declined, they have not shown the ability to be creative and adapt. That’s a bad sign. You don’t stick with the same old stuff when the results are consistently declining.

They have put themselves in sub optimal positions across the board:

Not a good pick but not a winning team either
    Forced to trade soon due to logjam but blocked their players development and lowering their value by both actions (teams know they need to trade guards now + they never got to showcase them and get value up)
    Letting guys walk for nothing vs getting extra capital to make swing picks like Primo while not nuking lottery picks

Anyone of those things individually is not a death blow; but all added up it points to a really inept and stuck FO that is dangerously close to be a net negative now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding the FO. It’s the s. I’m still holding out a sliver of hope for their FA moves. Might be Pop still making senile roster demands. Fact the Ben Simmons trade proposal was leaked shows there are loose lips there.
    Could be on the Philly end. Multiple trade proposals have leaked, so I’d kind of bet on it. They may be trying to show his camp that there’s no market for his caliber of player.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You liked what you saw out of Walker this year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess what. They passed on a guy (Sengun) who has a chance to be top talent last night... You aren't going to get top talent by not drafting the chance when it comes by.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill guys look on the bright side, maybe FO had agreed deals with Gay, Dieng, Diop, Lyles and DDR that's why we go for a guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which players from the 2020 draft should they have taken last night?

this doesn't even make ing sense
    The 2020 draft? The you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo's mom came to me in a dream last night and told me her son will bring the city multiple les. I'm sold on this pick.
    oh !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point I'm making is that they like Primo more than Sengun and picked Primo over Sengun intentionally and with clear heads. It's not reasonable to think they didn't pick Sengun due to being flustered or some other error. It's a dead end to try to push the idea that they valued Sengun more than Primo. Even though there's a chance that's the case, it's so small that it's not a reasonable position to hold.
    It's totally reasonable to think they fixated on a player and did not react to changing cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't make sense. If they're going into the lottery again next year, then they can pick a lottery pick for next year, next year and have the two lottery picks. And if they sign Collins or whatever and make the playoffs, then they wouldn't have the lottery pick next year to pick. Obviously the fact that Primo stayed in and wasn't available to pick next year meant that they had to take him this year.

Primo was obviously BPA in their book. They didn't draft for need, obviously. Unless as I said to MB they drafted him to trade him, it's clear that they thought he was the top player on their board. They can obviously be wrong, and from my relatively ignorant vantage point, I'd say they were. But this counter argument doesn't make any sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one of these recent 12th picks do you think could take the Spurs back to contention?

2019 PJ Washington, Kentucky – Charlotte Hornets
    2018 Miles Bridges, Michigan State University – Charlotte Hornets
    2017 Luke Kennard, Duke – Detroit Pistons
    2016 Taurean Prince, Baylor – Utah Jazz
    2015 Trey Lyles, Kentucky – Utah Jazz
    2014 Dario Saric, Croatia – Orlando Magic
    2013 Steven Adams, Pittsburgh – Oklahoma City Thunder
    2012 Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut – Houston Rockets
    2011 Alec Burks, Colorado – Utah Jazz
    2010 Xavier Henry, Kansas – Memphis Grizzlies

Steven Adams (or a 'Steven Adams' of old calibre centre in #todaysnba)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't make sense. If they're going into the lottery again next year, then they can pick a lottery pick for next year, next year and have the two lottery picks. And if they sign Collins or whatever and make the playoffs, then they wouldn't have the lottery pick next year to pick. Obviously the fact that Primo stayed in and wasn't available to pick next year meant that they had to take him this year.

Primo was obviously BPA in their book. They didn't draft for need, obviously. Unless as I said to MB they drafted him to trade him, it's clear that they thought he was the top player on their board. They can obviously be wrong, and from my relatively ignorant vantage point, I'd say they were. But this counter argument doesn't make any sense.
    exstatic's point is that a player of Primo's caliber will be available next year at the same slot. It's not like they stole a generational talent out from under everybody's nose. He seems to project as a lottery-capable player had he stayed in Alabama one more year. It's just that the Spurs grabbed him before that (ostensibly) would have happened. Again, what exstatic is saying is that that player -- not literally Primo, but that type of player -- is there again next year. So why take him now? Why not take someone who can contribute while not completely overlapping and confusing established players?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They could have also drafted him with the knowledge that they have a deal in place to move DJ, White, or LW next week. Possibly as part of a S&T for Collins or maybe with GS to give them cap relief.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2020 draft? The you talking about?
    if primo is who they want, what the are you talking about just take him next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's totally reasonable to think they fixated on a player and did not react to changing cir stances.
    It's not, because that's not how drafting works. Now if you mean that they were picking Primo no matter what because they fell in love with his character and didn't stop to consider that Sengun was actually a better player, I can see that. But that's still them thinking Primo was better and picking him for that reason. They certainly didn't JUST scout one player over the past year. They scouted all over the board, especially when it became clear they'd make the lottery and thus could end up with a top-four pick. Also, Sengun being available wasn't "changing cir stances". The dude went at 16, not 13. Likely the Spurs thought just like the other 12 teams that passed on him that he had flaws that made him not BPA.

It's possible (but not reasonable to assume) that the Spurs are uniquely incompetent now and passed on players like Haliburton and Sengun because they can't deal with a guy falling. It's more likely that they just agreed with those other teams though. In this case, they could be wrong, like they appear to have been about Haliburton. If that's the case, though, they're most likely wrong because of how they set up their board, not that they forgot how to use their board in the critical moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if primo is who they want, what the are you talking about just take him next year?
    Are you having trouble reading? No one's literally talking about Josh Primo next year. And next year is 2022, not 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo's mom came to me in a dream last night and told me her son will bring the city multiple les. I'm sold on this pick.
    She must have visited Brian Wrong hi his dream two nights ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not, because that's not how drafting works. Now if you mean that they were picking Primo no matter what because they fell in love with his character and didn't stop to consider that Sengun was actually a better player, I can see that. But that's still them thinking Primo was better and picking him for that reason. They certainly didn't JUST scout one player over the past year. They scouted all over the board, especially when it became clear they'd make the lottery and thus could end up with a top-four pick. Also, Sengun being available wasn't "changing cir stances". The dude went at 16, not 13. Likely the Spurs thought just like the other 12 teams that passed on him that he had flaws that made him not BPA.

It's possible (but not reasonable to assume) that the Spurs are uniquely incompetent now and passed on players like Haliburton and Sengun because they can't deal with a guy falling. It's more likely that they just agreed with those other teams though. In this case, they could be wrong, like they appear to have been about Haliburton. If that's the case, though, they're most likely wrong because of how they set up their board, not that they forgot how to use their board in the critical moment.
    You have this halcyon vision of how draft teams work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could have also drafted him with the knowledge that they have a deal in place to move DJ, White, or LW next week. Possibly as part of a S&T for Collins or maybe with GS to give them cap relief.
    Yes, and I'm hoping they trade someone, as I've said enough now to where it's annoying. Even if they were planning on getting rid of a guard, I still think they'd believe Primo was BPA. Their are other ways to fill the guard minutes like free agency. They didn't HAVE to draft one at 12 to do that if there was more talented prospects at other positions. The only way I would expect them to pick Primo against BPA is if they were specifically trying to trade him to a team that thought Josh was BPA and wanted him in a deal.

Thread Information