Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody know what the NBA's plan is with the postponed games around the league?
    Will they be pushed in between other games randomly when both teams are free? I never read anything about how they planned to handle the inevitable.
    More than 20 games have been postponed so far. Both the Wizards and Grizzlies have missed 6 games so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AFAIK, the games are technically cancelled and not postponed. When the schedule for the second half of the season is created, they will try to fit in the games that were "postponed" but there's no guarantee that it will be possible to reschedule all the missed games.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AFAIK, the games are technically cancelled and not postponed. When the schedule for the second half of the season is created, they will try to fit in the games that were "postponed" but there's no guarantee that it will be possible to reschedule all the missed games.
    But I'm expecting they'll reschedule all but two so they can be paid in full on local TV deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could wear out teams if they get to many games in a short time.
    Also could affect the playoff races if teams play an uneven schedule. A team could have a higher win percentage by virtue of playing fewer games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. Spurs Insta said the game will be rescheduled. Will get pretty tricky for the league to plan, especially for the teams who (will) have missed multiple games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm sure they'll just work the second half of the schedule around what's missed.

Maybe not necessarily play the postponed games...but more just make sure all teams have played the same amount of games by seasons end.

But play the missed games where possible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also could affect the playoff races if teams play an uneven schedule. A team could have a higher win percentage by virtue of playing fewer games.
    That's what happened to us in the bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hence the play-in tournament being expanded to 7-10 rather than just 8 and 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA should have just stuck with the bubble template, tbh. It's too risky to send these players flying all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA should have just stuck with the bubble template, tbh. It's too risky to send these players flying all the time.
    That would be virtually impossible tbh. 30 teams in one bubble, playing over 1000 games in 6 months --then the playoffs. The Orlando bubble cost $200 million, a bubble this season would've cost probably triple that at least.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hence the play-in tournament being expanded to 7-10 rather than just 8 and 9.
    Exactly. The tournament will likely be the way to settle the chaos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is how the league decides eligible players before a game. I initially assumed it would be something quantifiable like a negative Covid test, but TimVP in his article suggested it was from contact tracing if I read it correctly. If it’s done by contact tracing, wouldn’t the whole team be ineligible? In other words, with a team in such tight proximity to each other how would they decide which eight players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be virtually impossible tbh. 30 teams in one bubble, playing over 1000 games in 6 months --then the playoffs. The Orlando bubble cost $200 million, a bubble this season would've cost probably triple that at least.
    The NBA is already losing millions as they cancel games while risking the players's safety as the same time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA is already losing millions as they cancel games while risking the players's safety as the same time.
    Risking safety...is there a single do ented case of an NBA player being hospitalized from Covid? I'm not making a statement...I'm really asking... I can't think of any.... so I'm not sure what the risk is to actual players.... now coaches (especially older ones like Pop) i see the risk ....but players? I'm not sure..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risking safety...is there a single do ented case of an NBA player being hospitalized from Covid? I'm not making a statement...I'm really asking... I can't think of any.... so I'm not sure what the risk is to actual players.... now coaches (especially older ones like Pop) i see the risk ....but players? I'm not sure..
    It’s inherently a risk, right? I mean, 400,000 have died and some were healthy males. I’m sure it’s a lower risk, however.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s inherently a risk, right? I mean, 400,000 have died and some were healthy males. I’m sure it’s a lower risk, however.
    Walking out the door is inherently a risk..... but we take it.... some don't make it home....most do. . So if no player has been hospitalized im just not sure if it qualifies as being a real risk to them.....now from a coaches perspective I get it....from the perspective of them bringing it home to a vulnerable family member I get it.... I just don't see any evidence that actual players are at a risk..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA is already losing millions as they cancel games while risking the players' safety as the same time.
    cancelling/ postponing 20 games is a drop in the bucket compared to around $600 million needed for the massive undertaking of a full NBA season in a bubble. Also the players despised the bubble, they're probably prefer this much more than to the bubble-- even with the uncertainty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walking out the door is inherently a risk..... but we take it.... some don't make it home....most do. . So if no player has been hospitalized im just not sure if it qualifies as being a real risk to them.....now from a coaches perspective I get it....from the perspective of them bringing it home to a vulnerable family member I get it.... I just don't see any evidence that actual players are at a risk..
    Talk about moving the goal posts.

There is a big difference between walking out the door and expecting to come home, and contracting a disease that currently has a 1.7% death rate in the US...and is even higher in other countries. (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality)

Do you really think you have a ~1/50 chance of dying every time you leave the house?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talk about moving the goal posts.

There is a big difference between walking out the door and expecting to come home, and contracting a disease that currently has a 1.7% death rate in the US...and is even higher in other countries. (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality)

Do you really think you have a ~1/50 chance of dying every time you leave the house?
    Youre moving the goalposts...not me.... I'm talking about professional athletes who are in the best shape of their lives.... what is their mortality rate? So far for nba players...it's 0%.... im not talking about public policy here.... I'm specifically talking about the statement of 'risking the players safety'.... currently there is no data point that suggests this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youre moving the goalposts...not me.... I'm talking about professional athletes who are in the best shape of their lives.... what is their mortality rate? So far for nba players...it's 0%.... im not talking about public policy here.... I'm specifically talking about the statement of 'risking the players safety'.... currently there is no data point that suggests this...
    Not yet...then again, I don't think we've even seen 50 confirmed cases in NBA players yet.

Obviously, these are young healthy guys who have access to healthcare that most of us could only dream about, so their chances are obviously better. But to act like they are invincible just because a player or coach hasn't died yet is short-sighted, in my opinion.

We also still don't really understand the long-term ramifications COVID will have on the lungs, heart, and other vital organs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not yet...then again, I don't think we've even seen 50 confirmed cases in NBA players yet.

Obviously, these are young healthy guys who have access to healthcare that most of us could only dream about, so their chances are obviously better. But to act like they are invincible just because a player or coach hasn't died yet is short-sighted, in my opinion.

We also still don't really understand the long-term ramifications COVID will have on the lungs, heart, and other vital organs.
    I understand your point of view but, until someone in the league has a serious complication with this then its nothing more than conjecture to me. I'm absolutely open to arguments that have data with them (hence why I'm not challenging the view on covid where it comes to the broader population) but, I need evidence before I concede the notion that this is a real 'risk' to nba players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think men in their 20s are immune? I think we are debating the idea of what is a risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If no concern for the players, what about the coaches who are older and are not athletes or at least not in their prime health wise?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if not a single player gets hospitalized, still got long haul effects to worry about. This can still really harm your lungs even if you're never in enough danger to get hospitalized. The way the NBA is conducting this season is irresponsible as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Even the known ramifications we have seen in the short term look pretty nasty. I have a family member in his early 30s who was in ridiculously good shape before COVID who is still feeling pretty ugly effects in his lungs two months later despite never being low on oxygen (and thus not being hospitalized) when the virus was active in his body.

Thread Information