Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's face it, they only backed into the play-in because they had built up enough of an early lead courtesy of a weak schedule and rare clutch time luck that in conjunction with their would-be compe ors tanking, led to them running out of time to complete what was otherwise inevitably going to be an embarrassing collapse.

So forget what the standings or even point differential (in some cases) say: How many teams are they really better than? Probably five, with only the first not tanking (higher ceiling offensive players and a likely higher incoming pick could change that though): Cavaliers, Magic, Pistons, Thunder, Rockets.

People will debate some combination of Wizards, Pacers, Hornets, Bulls, Raptors, Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Kings, Timberwolves, but at the very least they all have higher ceilings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Situation faced. Now what? Pe ion? Boycott?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have $50 million in cap room, all their first round picks, multiple up-and-coming players and no bad contracts. Break out the shower rods, this is unbearable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have $50 million in cap room, all their first round picks, multiple up-and-coming players and no bad contracts. Break out the shower rods, this is unbearable
    We’ll be using those shower rods when the spurs use that cap space to resign _eRozan

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are 25th in the league at 16-22 in games that are within five in the last five minutes. And 26th at 12-19 in games within three in the last three minutes. That hardly qualifies as getting lucky in the clutch.

On the “easy schedule”, I don’t know what you’re taking about. Every team in the west played the exact same schedule. One anecdote, the Spurs got the Lakers 3x early in the season before Lebron and Davis were hurt. Other teams got luckier. In any given year, some teams will have more luck or less luck. Nothing points to the Spurs having more luck this time around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - No one of significance is coming here and they won't use it as a dumping ground for dead money in order to extract draft capital, so enjoy Markkanen and Burks or whatever.

- Great, another late lottery pick to add to their collection of role players who play like it's '01! Then a projected mid lottery pick next season!!

- Not a single foundational piece and no fan should care about their cap space unless it pertains to markedly upgrading their situation, something theirs doesn't project to do.

- Translation: They won 5 championships in a small market, so I don't care what they do for the rest of my life, I'll defend them to the death.

The Spurs are 25th in the league at 16-22 in games that are within five in the last five minutes. And 26th at 12-19 in games within three in the last three minutes. That hardly qualifies as getting lucky in the clutch.

On the “easy schedule”, I don’t know what you’re taking about. Every team in the west played the exact same schedule. One anecdote, the Spurs got the Lakers 3x early in the season before Lebron and Davis were hurt. Other teams got luckier. In any given year, some teams will have more luck or less luck. Nothing points to the Spurs having more luck this time around.

The operative word in both cases was early, which is why they had an inflated record relative to their point differential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll be very curious to see how that 50 mil will be used. I still don’t see top FA wanting to come here tbh. Wasn’t Aldridge recently the last one??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - No one of significance is coming here and they won't use it as a dumping ground for dead money in order to extract draft capital, so enjoy Markkanen and Burks or whatever.

- Great, another late lottery pick to add to their collection of role players who play like it's '01! Then a projected mid lottery pick next season!!

- Not a single foundational piece and no fan should care about their cap space unless it pertains to markedly upgrading their situation, something theirs doesn't project to do.

- Translation: They won 5 championships in a small market, so I don't care what they do for the rest of my life, I'll defend them to the death.

The operative word in both cases was early, which is why they had an inflated record relative to their point differential.
    This guy

Miserable during the Duncan years. Now miserable based on his own miserable outlook.

@ "nothing can be considered a positive because I think everything will end up bad"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hey now, this thread is for miserable projections and unproveable anecdotes, not logic and facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is quite possibly the worst situation in the league, a sizable portion of that is self inflicted (from the S bag debacle to them actively avoiding modernizing their style or increasing their odds of lucking into a foundational player) and you brainwashed apologists continue to make tired excuses.

This guy

Miserable during the Duncan years. Now miserable based on his own miserable outlook.

@ "nothing can be considered a positive because I think everything will end up bad"
    Ah, it's ad homenim time already, aka you have no credible retort to anything I say.

Your lose, old man. Now go finish up your grades and worship at PATFO's altar before bed.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-16-2021 at 06:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's face it, they only backed into the play-in because they had built up enough of an early lead courtesy of a weak schedule and rare clutch time luck that in conjunction with their would-be compe ors tanking, led to them running out of time to complete what was otherwise inevitably going to be an embarrassing collapse.

So forget what the standings or even point differential (in some cases) say: How many teams are they really better than? Probably five, with only the first not tanking (higher ceiling offensive players and a likely higher incoming pick could change that though): Cavaliers, Magic, Pistons, Thunder, Rockets.

People will debate some combination of Wizards, Pacers, Hornets, Bulls, Raptors, Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Kings, Timberwolves, but at the very least they all have higher ceilings.
    This Spurs team looks to have a decent future (maybe better).

Dejuante, Keldon, and White are a pretty good young core. And Walker may be at least a sparkplug-type player.

Poertl has value, a good situational option at the very least.

Samanic, Tre Jones and even Weatherspoon may step up.

What despairing fans always forget is that young players get better over time. They just do. Even if you do nothing else but just let them grow.

Instead we throw up our hands and say, "I've already seen DJ, Keldon and White play together."

You just can't say that at this point.

The first year Steph Curry and Klay Thompson played together at GS they went 23-43. (And Curry was already 24, considered by some a "reach" where he was drafted, and Klay was already 22.) But nobody gave up.

As we speak, DJ is 24 and Keldon is 21 and the Spurs are in a play-in game.

(And yes I realize you can't compare DJ and Keldon to Curry and Klay, you certainly can't -- at least not with the advantage of the hindsight that we all so unconsciously and sublimely employ.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had a brutal second half of the season, lost momentum during the COVID lull, and their best player cannot stay healthy. Yes, Derrick White is the most important player on the Spurs.

All told, it was a rough year but they did as well as they could.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs actually have a chance at the playoffs (albeit small) thanks to the play-in tournament...while still managing to maintain a decent draft position and chance to acquire another great player. This is a win-win in my book.

Anyone who thinks the Spurs are going to go hard-tank under Pop needs to have their head examined. Otherwise, this is pretty much the best case scenario for a soft-tank.

For everyone who thinks we should full out tank and go for a top 3 pick...tell me how that has worked out for anyone else in the last 5 years. You are asking for a decade of mediocrity if you go down that road, and this forum would implode upon itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually we are right where we planned as a soft transition (rebuild).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is quite possibly the worst situation in the league, a sizable portion of that is self inflicted (from the S bag debacle to them actively avoiding modernizing their style or increasing their odds of lucking into a foundational player) and you brainwashed apologists continue to make tired excuses.

OP is right

Ah, it's ad homenim time already, aka you have no credible retort to anything I say.

Your lose, old man. Now go finish up your grades and worship at PATFO's altar before bed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking forward to the next thread that emerges in this series.
    One just isn't enough to contain the necessary intel. for the prognostication of this team.

My suggestions, "Trade 'em all, Burn it down, Relocate..." or "Worst species at sport in the known universe (sans the Kings as they will always be bad because Doncic miss so they don't count)".

The season is still going when many predicted it to have ended hours ago... Let's have some patience y'all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when ever will Luck shine upon the Spurs again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thunder curb stomped us twice. We suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SPURS will be fine they just need to let Patty n Rudy go look for a trade for DeRozan or sign to a team friendly deal play Luka n Vasell more next year covid really hurt this team this year GOD willing next season that won’t be a factor https://youtu.be/37_M8BdBHYs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, unless there's growth and improvement in the shooting department... they will go from non-tanking, to unwilling but now tanking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, unless there's growth and improvement in the shooting department... they will go from non-tanking, to unwilling but now tanking.
    They are on the trajectory of being the Kemba Walker Hornets. They will keep trying every year to win with what they have and add mediocre free agents to the roster in hopes things will get better. They will get the same results every year which is either barely getting in as a 8th seed or missing barely as a 10 or 11th seed. Then get a useless lottery pick that will result in just a decent to solid player but not a star. We will see this pattern for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are on the trajectory of being the Kemba Walker Hornets. They will keep trying every year to win with what they have and add mediocre free agents to the roster in hopes things will get better. They will get the same results every year which is either barely getting in as a 8th seed or missing barely as a 10 or 11th seed. Then get a useless lottery pick that will result in just a decent to solid player but not a star. We will see this pattern for a while.
    I wonder if they have any youngster that is as good as Kemba was on those Hornets teams. I didn't watch them tbh, but I am guessing they don't. I like some of their players, but I tend to think they don't have one youngster who is that good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a good year to tank but SPURS waste this chance. Don't know whether there are any chances to have another good draft in coming years.

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap room doesnt mean much for a small-market team like the Spurs. Superstars dont want to play in small markets like San Antonio. Second-tier stars will only play there if you overpay them. Your only hope is to draft a superstar which is very difficult.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They threw away three years that could have been used to rebuild and acquire legitimate assets. Now they are at least 3 years away from being a respectable team again, with a roster full of role players and cap room that is basically worthless on a small market team.

The level of incompetence is amazing. They should go all in on their dumbassery and throw $20M+ at Derozan in the offseason.

Thread Information