Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the league? no. In the west? Possibly.
    50th best. In Georgia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think by mid November we'll be in such a hole that it'll be hard to clib out of....I'm taking the under on the 28.5 if we don't make any trades..

I'm with you
    I'm going mid 20s (we need a poll)

For this team to win in the upper 30s several things have to happen and the odds of all those things happening are slim.
    Lonnie, White and Vassell would need to take significant steps forward. I'll be happy if just one of them makes a huge step forward, ecstatic if two. To date there is no inclination that that White or Walker will have a breakout season. There have been tantilizing hints at potential but still just hints at this time. I'm also with Mr. Body in that as much as I love Keldon Johnson, I think this ceiling is more limited than most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Aha like Tim's number!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm stuck in that purgatorial space where i want the spurs to win as many games as they can and to make a push for a playoff spot and just barely getting pop his record while still creating greater odds for a top 5 lottery pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    28 wins

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think DJ, Drew, Tre, and Vassel will improve this year but maybe no one else.

With KJ, I wonder if this is a rare case where him being at the Olympics doesn’t actually translate to him having an improved year. I mean, he was basically there as a role player, whereas we need him to develop skills to be a star.

I think White and Yak will be solid and have some hot streaks.

I initially said 35, but 32 might be more realistic. We need some time to see how they gel. Could be some hot streaks. Hopefully there is progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did these 21 random thoughts occur in various locations?

Like were they all from the computer chair? Or were some in the garage while changing cars oil?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach Lowe has us as the 4th worst team in the league, FWIW.
    I think that was the watchability rankings, not the actual power rankings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we manage 38 wins with this roster Pop should be named coach of this year, next year and the year after, f it, permanent coach of the year and for the first time ever i will hate him for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    38 wins is high, but the Vegas O/U is also low, IMO. If you look at a numerical model like 538, they have us in the mid 30s. That seems about right, IMO. The Spurs could be one of the best defensive teams in the league. They have probably the best defensive backcourt in the league, and a top 3 defensive center. KJ holds his own, and while McDermott isn't great, that's one person to hide. On the second unit, Eubanks is vastly underrated defensively, and Vassel will do a good job there as well. Lonnie isn't good, but with some improvement he can be serviceable. He probably won't be, though, lets be real. But either way, when the Spurs need stops they should be able to get them at a fairly high rate due to their starters being excellent at that. Having a good defense will mean the Spurs are in a LOT of game and while the offense will probably be ing putrid at times, they will also have games where they hit a lot of shots and look great. It will be very difficult for this game to win under 30 games, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think by mid November we'll be in such a hole that it'll be hard to clib out of....I'm taking the under on the 28.5 if we don't make any trades..
    That wouldn’t be smart. Spurs always get short sold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, we won 33 and 32 games the last two seasons, and both were short seasons, not 82 games. We got rid of our Paleozoic offensive black hole, shored up the defense, and added long distance shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we manage 38 wins with this roster Pop should be named coach of this year, next year and the year after, f it, permanent coach of the year and for the first time ever i will hate him for it.
    In another thread I said almost the same thing-If they win any where near 40 they'll rename the coy award the Pop award.
    I could easily be wrong, but I really think this team will struggle. That said, I'm OK with the direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the comments. Enjoyable read, also basically the same things we all look up to, but nicely articulated.

I’d like to see Primo get playing time and I think he could very well absorb Bryn Forbes minutes. It doesn’t matter if a very young lottery pick needs to improve a few things if they can already do others at an NBA level, but saving myself my annual frustration with Pop playing vets over their young talents, I am bracing myself for him in the Gleague.

Make no mistake Pop still has vets in this team that he can go to when his patience with youngster mistakes is thin, this year the most notable is Bryn. He has played well offensively, his role anyways, but this team is heading nowhere fast if he’s your best pound for pound, inch for inch offensive player. I’d rather invest my limited watching time contemplating how someone is getting better or stumbling here and there but learning lessons, than watching a team relying on Forbes too much. How much Pop relies on him will be a test for me.

Otherwise we agree on a lot and as always its really nice to read your writing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Murray would be in the All-Star reserve conversation but the record won't permit it. Not that ty records don't get in the way of worse players getting berths (looking at the terrible Brandon Ingram).

2. I don't see White putting it back together. I hope he does.

3. Keldon Johnson's ceiling is lower than most everybody cares to admit. Great energy guy, but he's limited and always will be.

4. It'll be unfortunate Landale is stuck as a third stringer. Hot take: we may see him as a PF.

5. Walker won't put it together, but he'll get tantalyzingly closer.

6. Vassell will start looking like a tremendous glue guy. He won't get any press, but will continually make plays.

7. Primo will come back to the main team in January and start tilting games in the Spurs' favor off the bench.

8. This board will fall in love with some other marginal headcase star after Ben Simmons gets exiled to Minnesota. No one will remember being obsessed with him.

9. This board will whine about Popovich without realizing he's a major reason the team is winning when it is and decent talent is playing over their heads.

Win total will be mid to late 30s. They'll overwhelm teams some nights when things are clicking. Other nights, they'll struggle to grind things out. The sports media should remark upon this feat, but the team will be utterly ignored.
    Hey!
    I really liked your opinions here and do agree with them. I think they will be lower than LJ predicted in wins, but your last statement kind of sums up how I feel about them. I think they are bound to have some hot shooting months where someone like White who has been struggling suddenly gets hot and ends up increasing his shooting percentage with a hot shooting month, or something to that effect. I do think they will have games where they will be clicking and batting above average, but they will not be able to maintain that because of the lack of star… that is what stars do after all. They show up to dominate every night and the Spurs don’t have a guy that can be consistent every night. On that vein, there will be some heartbreakers, games where they are close at the end but can’t close things out, and even games like last season’s against Boston, where they have an early lead and can’t prevent a come back because a star player is having a huge game against them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody else with minimal excitement for this opener and the upcoming season? I mean most intelligent fans already know what's going to happen:

-We'll see minimal leaps from the young(ish) guys (DJ, Derrick, and I guess Keldon).
    -The same terrible rotations we've been seeing for the last 3 years now (eg Bryn and McDermott taking big mins away from Keldon, Vassell, Lonnie, Tre)
    -Like would anybody really be surprised if Bryn led the team in minutes this year?
    -Primo going to be glued to Austin except maybe for the last few weeks of the season

I don't even care about Wins/Losses, the Rockets will be worse than the Spurs but they'll be more entertaining to watch with a top 3 pick on the roster.

The Derozan years were horrible but man I can't really get excited watching this team play until they have all star talent on the roster and you know who is far away from the coach's bench

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That wouldn’t be smart. Spurs always get short sold.
    You could be correct... I don't see it yet though... revisit this mid November and how you feel about it then..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could be correct... I don't see it yet though... revisit this mid November and how you feel about it then..
    Everybody has bad portions of the schedule. That means at some point, we’ll have an easy stretch with a bundle of home games. Thinking they’re going to go under the O/U is just flat negativity.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're going to win 43 games this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're going to win 43 games this year.
    THAT may be more than a tad optimistic. People who think I’m a sniffer need to bookmark this ish.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody has bad portions of the schedule. That means at some point, we’ll have an easy stretch with a bundle of home games. Thinking they’re going to go under the O/U is just flat negativity.
    Then come back mid December and revisit this if it suits you better...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well have simply put question marks behind the name of every player? And every one has more than one question mark representing issues for the coming season. Predicting games is even more of a gamble since there are so many question marks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then come back mid December and revisit this if it suits you better...
    I think I’ll evaluate it in mid April. That’s when the season ends.

Toward the end of "Charlie Wilson's War," a CIA officer played by the pitch-perfect Philip Seymour Hoffman cautions the Wilson character (played by Tom Hanks) not to be too sure they have done something glorious. To make the point, he tells the story of a Zen master who observes the people of his village celebrating a young boy's new horse as a wonderful gift. "We'll see," the Zen master says. When the boy falls off the horse and breaks a leg, everyone says the horse is a curse. "We'll see," says the master. Then war breaks out, the boy cannot be conscripted because of his injury, and everyone now says the horse was a fortunate gift. "We'll see," the master says again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "38 wins" might be the Spurs equivalent of "This will all blow over by Easter"
    , tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that may be overlooked is the Spurs' (possible) ability to wear down teams with their style of play and their waves of relatively young bodies.

It won't make them an elite team but it could allow them to overachieve based upon the conventional projections.

Last year, the Spurs had an iso scorer (or two before LMA left) and the opponent could relax on defense. Gentleman's truce. Both the Spurs and the defense just sat around and watched. It conserved a lot of energy for the opponent.

Pop was uncomfortable with that approach and it showed.

Now Pop has a team he can coach just the way he wants to, lots of ball movement, pure basketball, no stars to defer to, lots of running -- a coach's game as much as is possible in the modern NBA.

It could fall flat, but it could also succeed, perhaps even coax a new dynamic into the NBA equation.

Pop will be looking to tire the opposition with old-fashioned ball movement and maybe even movement without the ball. It's the pure way he's always wanted to play. And, fortunately(?), he has no other options.

Thread Information