Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have been a banana republic for decades now.
    Do you even know what a banana republic is? even Will Hunting won't agree with you.

Look at the kleptocracies of Central America and third world Africa... now those are banana republics.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Do you even know what a banana republic is? even Will Hunting won't agree with you.

Look at the kleptocracies of Central America and third world Africa... now those are banana republics.
    Pretty sure it's you who doesn't know what a banana republic is. Every 1st world country has a government that operates by simple majority rule, not sure how nuking the filibuster somehow would make us one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure it's you who doesn't know what a banana republic is. Every 1st world country has a government that operates by simple majority rule, not sure how nuking the filibuster somehow would make us one.
    I was in a BR once, all that they had was "she bought this for me" , no cisgendered male would wear that off stage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're gonna cry like a baby when repugs nuke it

Muh Facism

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Muh Facism
    Why would they? McConnell loves the filibuster. It limits the out of what the Democrats can do since reconciliation won't let them do like raise the minimum wage or pass a voter rights bill since neither would pass the parliamentarian. Meanwhile it gives McConnell an out for not passing stupid he doesn't want like Trump's border wall while letting him play victim. , same for Trump, he didn't want that wall either, he just wanted to play victim for the Democrats blocking it. Meanwhile the only thing McConnell really cares about is tax cuts for the rich, which they can always do by reconciliation when they have 50 senators. You think McConnell wants to cede power to the GOP's fascist base?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Muh Facism
    I hope they do nuke it and I expect them to.

A majority elected by voters being able to pass its agenda wouldn't be fascism.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Why would they? McConnell loves the filibuster. It limits the out of what the Democrats can do since reconciliation won't let them do like raise the minimum wage or pass a voter rights bill since neither would pass the parliamentarian. Meanwhile it gives McConnell an out for not passing stupid he doesn't want like Trump's border wall while letting him play victim. , same for Trump, he didn't want that wall either, he just wanted to play victim for the Democrats blocking it. Meanwhile the only thing McConnell really cares about is tax cuts for the rich, which they can always do by reconciliation when they have 50 senators. You think McConnell wants to cede power to the GOP's fascist base?
    McConnell would be stupid not to nuke it when the GOP retakes control only because it's certain to get nuked whenever Democrats retake congress again after that. It's pretty clear at this point the filibuster is done for, just a question of which party grabs power first, and Cocaine Mitch definitely knows it.

McConnell is also going to eventually lose control of that caucus when senators like Blunt and Portman get replaced by Eric Greitens and Josh Mandel.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope they do nuke it and I expect them to.

A majority elected by voters being able to pass its agenda wouldn't be fascism.
    I stand corrected, you won't. Others on here will, I'm sure.

I don't see any way for the filibuster to survive once the elders die off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell would be stupid not to nuke it when the GOP retakes control only because it's certain to get nuked whenever Democrats retake congress again after that. It's pretty clear at this point the filibuster is done for, just a question of which party grabs power first, and Cocaine Mitch definitely knows it.

McConnell is also going to eventually lose control of that caucus when senators like Blunt and Portman get replaced by Eric Greitens and Josh Mandel.
    Like it was certain to get nuked this time? The filibuster keeps the Democrats from being able to do another ACA level bill even if they have a wave election since they'll never get to 60 again in the senate until the boomers die off. McConnell killing the filibuster risks the Democrats being able to pass something big that will be unpopular for the GOP to remove, like how their attempts at ACA repeal killed them in the 2018 midterms. The filibuster is such an asset to the GOP since it neuters the Democrats while doesn't limit the Republicans' ability to give tax cuts to the rich.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Like it was certain to get nuked this time? The filibuster keeps the Democrats from being able to do another ACA level bill even if they have a wave election since they'll never get to 60 again in the senate until the boomers die off. McConnell killing the filibuster risks the Democrats being able to pass something big that will be unpopular for the GOP to remove, like how their attempts at ACA repeal killed them in the 2018 midterms. The filibuster is such an asset to the GOP since it neuters the Democrats while doesn't limit the Republicans' ability to give tax cuts to the rich.
    Will & the bum.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I stand corrected, you won't. Others on here will, I'm sure.

I don't see any way for the filibuster to survive once the elders die off.
    Same.

The GOP almost surely wins the senate back in '24 (assuming it doesn't in '22), and it'll probably hold the senate for at least 6 years after that. By 2030+, the blue dog/centrist Democrat won't be an endangered species, it'll be extinct, and any Democratic senate majority in at that point will have like Mark Kelly as its most moderate member.

If I've thought this through it means McConnell absolutely has, thus it's toast imo.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think the next senate majority the Democrats have after this one (whenever that may be) won't have any Manchins or Sinemas or even Mark Warners in it, and I think Cocaine Mitch is well aware of this fact, so he knows that either he nukes it or the Democratic majority that'll happen after that nukes it. There's no plausible scenario where the filibuster still exists in 10 years; just a matter of who nukes it first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the next senate majority the Democrats have after this one (whenever that may be) won't have any Manchins or Sinemas or even Mark Warners in it, and I think Cocaine Mitch is well aware of this fact, so he knows that either he nukes it or the Democratic majority that'll happen after that nukes it. There's no plausible scenario where the filibuster still exists in 10 years; just a matter of who nukes it first.
    It took Trump blowing the pandemic for the Democrats to even get to 50. I don't have much faith in them doing well in the senate for a while and I don't buy there won't be another Lieberman, Nelson, Sinema, or Manchin in their ranks again if they do manage to get to 50 again in the near future.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It took Trump blowing the pandemic for the Democrats to even get to 50. I don't have much faith in them doing well in the senate for a while and I don't buy there won't be another Lieberman, Nelson, Sinema, or Manchin in their ranks again if they do manage to get to 50 again in the near future.
    I don't see it. All the democrats running for senate now are basically required to pledge their support of nuking the filibuster (Lamb, Demings, Ryan, etc.) in order to win a primary.

Also Sinema will get obliterated in 2024 if she runs for senate again, which is going to scare other candidates as well.

The problem is that getting back to 50+1 after we lose in 2024 could take a really ing long time.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Is there like a HOF for the senate? If so, Sinema should be in it. Courageous and easy on the eyes. Hopefully she's there for the next 2 decades.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it. All the democrats running for senate now are basically required to pledge their support of nuking the filibuster (Lamb, Demings, Ryan, etc.) in order to win a primary.

Also Sinema will get obliterated in 2024 if she runs for senate again, which is going to scare other candidates as well.

The problem is that getting back to 50+1 after we lose in 2024 could take a really ing long time.
    Just wait til republicans take back control and up the voting age. Then youll really see the wheels come off the democrat wagon. They are already setting voting bills in place. Next step is to cancel out the naive college kids until they are older and learned what earning a living is all about. All Beto did here in Texas when he ran against Cruz was hit college campuses. Republicans are gonna go extreme and try to up the voting age to 25 at least. No doubt about it. There were even democrat politicians suggesting lowering the voting age to 16. Read here:

https://lieu.house.gov/media-center/...-voting-age-16

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wait til republicans take back control and up the voting age. Then youll really see the wheels come off the democrat wagon. They are already setting voting bills in place. Next step is to cancel out the naive college kids until they are older and learned what earning a living is all about. All Beto did here in Texas when he ran against Cruz was hit college campuses. Republicans are gonna go extreme and try to up the voting age to 25 at least. No doubt about it. There were even democrat politicians suggesting lowering the voting age to 16. Read here:

LOL this old got wants taxation without representation

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL this old got wants taxation without representation
    Keep your head in the sand, son...its what youve done your whole life...why change now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep your head in the sand, son...its what youve done your whole life...why change now?
    Should probably take voting rights away from senile boomers who have wrecked this country for the last 40 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

25 is not high enough, tbh... at this stage, they need to up it to 65+ to corner the remaining boomer population in order to win the popular vote.

Dennison was probably the most popular GOP candidate since Reagan, and he couldn't do it. Twice.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    25 is not high enough, tbh... at this stage, they need to up it to 65+ to corner the remaining boomer population in order to win the popular vote.

Dennison was probably the most popular GOP candidate since Reagan, and he couldn't do it. Twice.
    Trump squeeze out 75 million votes, that's so many ing people who got in their mouths and asked for a second helping

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should probably take voting rights away from senile boomers who have wrecked this country for the last 40 years.
    lol Biden voter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Trump voter

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trump squeeze out 75 million votes, that's so many ing people who got in their mouths and asked for a second helping
    What the ? Wrecky, you never talk like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ? Wrecky, you never talk like this.
    gottheeeem

Thread Information