My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy Sochan shooting from 3pt his freshman season:

0.8 2.7 .296

Kawhi Leonard shooting from 3pt his freshman and sop re seasons:

0.5 2.3 .205
    0.7 2.4 .291

Sochan has almost exactly the same shooting metrics as a freshman as Leonard did as a sop re. Take that as you will.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 9 I don't expect to get a star, but hopefully a starter. There's a huge whole at the 4 spot, but I'm not sure the FO will put on blinders and only look for that position. Likely they don't. The team really needs a player who can get to the rim with ease and break down a defense. Does Ben Mathurin offer that? Reports I read suggest no, but I'm still figuring him out. I like Davis but I'm definitely concerned that he has challenges getting by his man. Davis isn't the most athletic but has long arms and appears very well balanced and agile. I still like Davis because I'm tired of drafting lazy mental midgets, so to speak. I also am intrigued by Sochan but I typically trust Zeus' drafting assessment so I want to look at his game more.

Anyway. It's going to be a long slog until draft day. LOL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well... let's just say I'm more confident in him improving his shooting than I am on Chet being able to hold his own in the paint with NBA level athletes. Time will tell.
    meh might as well bring fathead back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not judging your post in itself but this take is the reason why people calling this draft rich and full of game changers are just guessing, or eventually wishful thinking cos spurs happen to have 3 picks, including a high one, this year... Everyone has completely different opinion on players, from great to meh, which is perfectly fine but should invite one to moderation...

Over time, we'll see people radically change their mind about that player spurs should get but anymore cos he sucks finally and vice and versa... Let's at least wait for the combine and tryouts before making definitive conclusions, where we know mock drafts an player hypes may be very different.
    I mean this is all speculation and guessing when you come down to it. No one knows how any player is going to take to the NBA until they do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha which one?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There seems to be a bunch of interesting 4/3 forwards in the draft. Hopefully the Spurs use all three of their first round picks in that position and strike gold with one.

Although I must say that that the player I most would like to get is Holmgren, who is more of a 4/5. No chance of getting high enough to draft him though, so needless conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, he reminds me of a more athletic Kyle Anderson with a better shooting mechanic.

A would gladly take a more athletic Kyle Anderson with better shooting mechanics without thinking it twice, tbh.
    Last edited by DAF86; 04-19-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see it. I don’t get the love for this guy. I don’t even buy that he’s “deceptively” quick. He might have a nice career as a glue guy but that’s not a player I’d be happy to pick inside the top 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. My arguing days are behind me (I hope). I'll just say this. If I just had a buck for every comment I've read over the years from people saying, "... if he can just learn to shoot 3's". I'd be more than happy to pay back double to all of those people for the ones who actually learned to shoot 3's.

Here's one clue that a guy doesn't have the stroke to be a consistent 3P shooter - his FT% was .585. I know, I know... Bruce Bowen. But stop and think. Bowen averaged about 6 points per game over his career, and not much more than that in his best seasons.

My response was about the idea of him playing all 5 positions. That's more than a bit hyperbolic. It gets a lot harder to stay objective thinking in those kinds of terms. If Sochan was really that much of a unicorn, he'd be in the discussion for Top 4.

9 points, 6.5 boards, and .8 3P per game. Taking him at 9 wouldn't be a value pick, it would be a leap of faith. Maybe he'll be worthy of that kind of leap.
    Off the top of my head, just counting Spurs players: Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Keldon Johnson.

If the player projects to have a very complete skillset, you don't need the guy to become a sharpshooter. Just be serviceable enough to exploit all his other qualities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see it. I don’t get the love for this guy. I don’t even buy that he’s “deceptively” quick. He might have a nice career as a glue guy but that’s not a player I’d be happy to pick inside the top 10.
    i will say Sochan is more of a cross between Fathead and flashes of Lamar Odom. Either way the FO has options for our missing stretch 4. Ill put my trust in them with the 9 pick

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i will say Sochan is more of a cross between Fathead and flashes of Lamar Odom. Either way the FO has options for our missing stretch 4. Ill put my trust in them with the 9 pick
    A Lamar comp is interesting. Feels like it would take a lot to squeeze that out of Sochan. I do agree that there are a handful of options at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Roy as a comp for Dyson is the best one I’ve heard for a prospect yet. I wish I was the one who made it. Kudos to that guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Roy as a comp for Dyson is the best one I’ve heard for a prospect yet. I wish I was the one who made it. Kudos to that guy.
    If that is the comp, go get that guy then! Just check his knees

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initially didn't like what I saw a little bit of him in Youtube until you posted this one. Looks good! I can see some Brandon Roy type of play - fundamentals.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off the top of my head, just counting Spurs players: Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Keldon Johnson.

If the player projects to have a very complete skillset, you don't need the guy to become a sharpshooter. Just be serviceable enough to exploit all his other qualities.

Keldon shot close to .400 from 3P in college - maybe .380 or so. He didn't have to learn how to shoot the 3. I'm just going to stop there - won't even going to grace the rest of that with a response. Did you, like, congratulate yourself after cooking up that list?

Hera hates it when I argue with ignorant mortals. You're just going to have to entertain yourself some other way.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy Sochan shooting from 3pt his freshman season:

0.8 2.7 .296

Kawhi Leonard shooting from 3pt his freshman and sop re seasons:

0.5 2.3 .205
    0.7 2.4 .291

Sochan has almost exactly the same shooting metrics as a freshman as Leonard did as a sop re. Take that as you will.
    Yeah and Sochan has the similar swing or heave in his jumper just before the release. Same thing Kawhi had in college. Im sure a good shooting coach will coach that out of him. Go back and look at Kawhi's college highlights and you will see that slight sling or heave in his jump shot. Kinda had it in his first year in the league as well but erradicated it after that and has become a damn good shooter.

That won't be the only thing to fix though cause Sochan still only shoots 60% from the line so there must be an issue with the wrist/hand too that'll need fixing. Doubt its a mental issue causing the poor FT shooting.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way Sochan is still my pick if Spurs stay in the projected 9 area. Too many positives for me that outweigh the shooting questions, ability to guard 3 through 5, mobility and size to guard pick and roll well (still the most run offensive action in the league by far), can provide some rim protection, high IQ, knows where to be without the ball and seemingly reads the game well, doesn't shy away from contacts, has toughness and some nasty about him. On offense he has a bit to work with too for, very good passer, good footwork when making moves to the basket albeit he is more methodical than he is explosive. Methodical doesn't mean slow, he's a very fluid athlete, he's just not explosive. Has a good body too once he gets his shoulder into a defender its hard to block his shot.

Mathurin is my second choice. I am higher on Keegan Murray than timvp is but don't think he will be there at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon shot close to .400 from 3P in college - maybe .380 or so. He didn't have to learn how to shoot the 3. I'm just going to stop there - won't even going to grace the rest of that with a response. Did you, like, congratulate yourself after cooking up that list?

Hera hates it when I argue with ignorant mortals. You're just going to have to entertain yourself some other way.
    Dude, you go from 0 to a 100 in a split second. That's probably why you are trying not to argue so much. You have a problem. You can't argue like a decent human being.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't like Sochan at 9. Like other players more. Rather have Ogbaji than him. Definitely Mathurin, Sharpe, Murray before him. Those guys just look better and more explosive with more upside star potential. Ogbaji looks to be more athletic and active, is not afraid to come up big in big games, take and make the big shot and is a strong 3 and D player who can also play above the rim.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the 2022 draft isn't very good. Not at the very top - no real tier 1 prospects, not in the lottery and probably not in the latter parts as well. Of course there will likely be some players surpassing expectations, but overall I don't feel good about the draft at all. I'll probably be way off on some, or most of these but here we go.

Tier 1
    Chet Holmgren - still have him at 1, even though he doesn't project as a no. 1 offensive option. More of a 2nd/3rd banana. High ceiling though, because of his defense, feel and shooting. I think he can play a role similar to Jaren Jackson Jr
    Paolo Banchero - not convinced with his shot and his defense especially but he's one of 3 players, who could become a 1st option. My comparison is NY Julius Randle
    Jaden Ivey - another player who might be a 1st option but he has to improve in a lot of areas. What I don't like is that he's at his best being the primary ballhandler, but his passing, vision and ballhandling aren't great. If he plays off the ball his value drops. People like to compare him to Morant but I think he's closer to a Lavine, who took his time to get comfortable in the league
    Jabari Smith - great shooting and better than you'd think at defense but he has a lot holes - can't get to the rim at all, can't create his own shot, etc. they're stated in all mocks. I think Jerami Grant with more upside is a good comparison
    Shaedon Sharpe - the last one who could grow into a main banana, offensively at least. Super difficult to be evaluated by us armchair GMs, it'll depend on his workouts but he could be a Jalen Green/Anthony Edwards type. Not sure he could get to the rim as easily as these two though

Tier 2
    Keegan Murray - he's skilled and good at a lot of things, not sure he'll be elite at anything. He overpowers players often and I'm not sure the way he scores receiving the ball on the block and creating for himself will work against NBA athletes. I could see him being a Marcus Morris if his shot translates, or similar to Obi Toppin. If he shatters expectations why not a Siakam even
    Ben Mathurin - good scorer and shooter but doesn't project to be much of a ballhandler or a passer. Passable defense at best too. Maybe a Norm Powell
    Johnny Davis - I think his shooting percentages are a bit lower due to being the only good player on a bad team, forced to create and shoot of the dribble a lot. Is it because of bad spacing or because he can't create enough separation? Probably both. I see some Caris Levert in his game, maybe he could grow to be a Khris Middleton? I think he has one of the highest upsides after tier 1

Tier 3
    Jeremy Sochan - obvious positives but he hasn't shown a glimpse of hope for his shooting. Still, even if he grows to be an average shooter there's good value there because of his versatility and intangibles. Maybe he becomes what Chuma Okeke was going to be before his injury, or a better version of Joe Ingles. There's a lot of Bobo in his demeanor
    AJ Griffin - he's super weird to me because I always have the expectation that he's a great athlete but he plays like a below average one, possibly because of his injuries or because of Duke's suspect spacing. Has a very wide frame when shooting but it goes in. Really not sure what to make of him... Gary Trent Jr..?
    Jalen Duren - rim protection and rebounding will translate but can he be a switchable defender? Not sure. Will he ever be an OK shooter? Not sure. His passing and possibility to be able to guard on the perimeter would be his swing skills, other than that he's your average rim running athlete, a dime a dozen. Or he could be your Bam Adebayo.
    Jaden Hardy - I like him more than most mocks and think his struggles in the gleague are understandable. Of course his flaws are clear as well but he has ballhandling, shooting and passing upside that most players in this draft lack. Not dissimilar to our Josh Primo
    Dyson Daniels - he does many things well, except for shooting, a proper swiss army knife type of player. I don't see him as more than a glue guy but this is valuable as well. A taller Derrick White, if you will
    Malaki Branham - there's so much to like about him and he has progressed so well as the season went on, game after game. By march he was a different player compared to his first games. Not great athleticism but he knows how to play
    Patrick Baldwin Jr - his struggles have become notorious during the season but his shooting form is so awesome it's impossible that it won't translate. Biggest question mark is his motor. Looked disinterested a lot. If he can become a Cameron Johnson he'll be good value in the teens

Others I like :
    Ousmane Dieng - was terrible at the beginning of the season but has progressed well, flashing a lot of skills but still with a ton of questions. What I don't like is that he doesn't have a bankable skill , everything is theoretical
    Tari Eason - could be a plug and play kind of a rookie but I'm not convinced his defense will translate because he's not disciplined enough. His other skills aren't that enticing if he can't be a lockdown defender
    Mark Williams - second best rim running center in the draft after Duren. Actually he could be better if Duren's upside proves disappointing. He's a what you see is what you get player, a lot like Poeltl
    Bryce McGowans - inefficient but he looks the part of an NBA player. Looks a lot like DeJounte to me when he plays, not as a player comparison, just something about him reminds me of DJ. Better comparison is Jordan Poole
    Kendall Brown - actually I don't like him too much, he's trended downwards as the season progressed and was unplayable in march madness, but he has shown enough flashes that if the Spurs actually draft him I'd be excited ( this is true for a few players )

Some players I don't like:
    Ochai Agbaji - I might be very wrong about him and I definitely see him as immediately more impactful than most of the players above but there's something that seems off to me
    EJ Liddell - similar to Agbaji
    Blake Wesley - I see his theoretical upside and could compare him to McGowans who I like, but his shot doesn't look good to me
    TyTy Washington - sure he can be the next Herro or Maxey. Or not. I tend to think not
    Walker Kessler - worse Mark Williams, wouldn't hate him at the end of the 1st I guess. Really don't see him being even average as a switchable defender
    Kennedy Chandler - I'm probably underestimating him because he's too small. He's feistier defender than you'd expect. Just don't see him as a fit on the Spurs
    Jean Montero - similar to Chandler, but like him even less
    Christian Braun - when a guy you like doesn't have an elite skill you call him a glue guy, when you don't like him you say he doesn't have a good NBA skill. I don't like Braun
    Wendell Moore - similar to Braun
    Marjon Beauchamp - great name, other than that...
    Nikola Jovic - similar to Dieng in that all of his skills are theoretical. Dieng > Jovic imo, but I wouldn't hate it if he's a draft and stash with the Boston pick
    Christian Koloko - the worst of the rim running bigs projected in the first round
    Caleb Love - inefficient chucker, turnover machine, too small, just no

Players I like for draft and stash: Kamagate, Spagnolo and Procida - I expect some of these to rise up mock drafts

Pre-draft type of guys I'd like with Tor/Bos picks if they stay in the draft - John Butler, Max Christie, JD Davison, Josh Minott, Caleb Houstan, Peyton Watson

Players I like as 2nd round flyers - Jaylin Williams, Dalen Terry, Jake LaRavia, Justin Lewis
    Someone has done there Homework excellent review of players pretty spot on - One thing I have noticed about these draft prospects that a lot of them are going to either fail or be really good if they go to the right team that has good development...ie...Spurs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero I think is at the top of the leader board and who I hope we end up drafting with the #1 pick. Ivey is my second pick if we land only in the top 4.

But on the unlikely chance we don’t get a top 4 pick then I like Dyson at #9. After that I have no idea and will not pretend who the heck we should draft with the 17th and 22nd pick. I think we should trade each pick for future picks or package all 3 somehow for a higher pick. We don’t need three 19 year olds on this team

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin is probably our best chance for elite skill and athleticism at picking 9 but that’s still a low chance he’s available.

I could see Keegan Murray being available and passing on him, which would be amazing to see that meltdown.

But at picking at 9 I’m ok with with Dyson Daniels, Murray, or Johnny Davis. At a certain point I’d rather go with bbiq then just buzz and athleticism. Players without elite athleticism can continue to improve also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After that I have no idea and will not pretend who the heck we should draft with the 17th and 22nd pick.
    We don't have 17 & 22, we have 20 & 25

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don’t get in the top 3 to get Banchero, then you go BPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks we still have 2 more months of this speculation. Gonna be a long couple months tbh. Least we have the combine in a month.

Thread Information