My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hear me out—

We all know several posters on this board believe that the Spurs have no foundational piece, and that the actions they take this off-season (draft, free agency, trades) should all revolve around finding that piece, even if it means taking a player that will create a log jam at a certain position.

HOWEVER,

Let’s play around with this idea that Keldon is 100% becoming a top 15 NBA player. Let’s even say that it’s happening this upcoming 2020-2021 season (I know, very unlikely, but play along…). And finally, let’s say that the Spurs KNOW this is happening because of what they have seen behind the scenes.

Now, what do YOU believe the Spurs should do in the draft? How do you believe the Spurs should build around Keldon knowing the type of player he is (let’s say he becomes elite in shooting on top of the skills he already has)?

Does this change the type of players you would want in the draft?

Would you build around Keldon like you would around Kawhi? Add another long swingman like Paul George?

Or would you build around him like what the Rockets have done with James Harden? A dynamic point guard and shooters around him?

Or would you go old-school and find a complementary big man like Pau Gasol or Shaq?

What would you do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's so young and his game is not even fully formed. We have only seen flashes of his play and what he can become thus far. I know it's hypothetical but it's hard to even think about it because I have no idea how his game will evolve and what he would add to become a top 15 player. If he becomes an elite shooter and continues being a beast in the paint then sky's the limit. In today's NBA shooters and a mobile big are always the best pieces to fit a star

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hasn't been scouted. Wait for rookie wall, which will come in year 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    build around Keldon like you would around Kawhi? Add another long swingman like Paul George?

Or would you build around him like what the Rockets have done with James Harden? A dynamic point guard and shooters around him?

Or would you go old-school and find a complementary big man like Pau Gasol or Shaq?
    I'll play along.
    If you want to get some serious responses, clean these up immediately.
    Playoff imPloding Paul is not a piece any star should want as a #2. #5 6 7 or 8 on the roster, sure. Not sure what Kawhi and Uncle were smoking but wow, fail.

James Harden just stop it. Altho i will say he helped have the Warriors on the ropes before WarriorRef and Chuckball upset the Rockets in 18.

Pau
    was either Prime or washed. He never really went to a good complimentary #2 role. Shaq was a 1 the entire time with Kobme, then he made a fine 2 with DWade but that was for only 2 years, albeit that got the 'Chip. Can't think of a big right now who has one + good years left in him as a 2. Embiid? Anthony Davis but he's not leaving Laker Ref for San Antone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would surround him with a point guard who can’t shoot or run any offense and an undersized SG that is a sieve on defense. Then probably add some vets on the team. Maybe a emo 90s ball type player and a stretch PF who complains about touches. And I probably would finish it off with a cheap Center who can’t finish or stay on the floor due to foul trouble. I think I would probably be regarded as one of the best GMs in the league tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hold on man let me turn my 2K on and start dreaming that the Spurs can sign anyone they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would surround him with a point guard who can’t shoot or run any offense and an undersized SG that is a sieve on defense. Then probably add some vets on the team. Maybe a emo 90s ball type player and a stretch PF who complains about touches. And I probably would finish it off with a cheap Center who can’t finish or stay on the floor due to foul trouble. I think I would probably be regarded as one of the best GMs in the league tbh
    Lmfao

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And whatever you do, make sure the head coach stays put...he is fresh, hungry, full of drive and epitomises the new generation of people management ideally suited to deal with millennials/gen Z type players. Rings will follow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll try to give you a real answer.

The most likely path for Keldon to s om, IMO, is to work heavily on his handles and shooting game. He's shown through the bubble games (and the rest of the season if you'd been watching closely) that he's comfortable as a second OR primary penetrator, with the former obviously being easy and preferred to him for now. IF (big if, but I'm playing along) he develops his handle to the point of being comfortable being the primary driver on the team, and also keeps working on his outside shooting (step-backs in particular, that's the future of this league right there), I can see him developing into a player you build around. And of course, keeping his healthy dose of strong finishing at the rim and even the flashes of passing that he exhibited from time to time.

Having set his strengths; the team you want to build around him should be composed of a combination of shooters, lengthy defenders, and secondary (or even first, especially if you manage to draft a ballhandling wing á la Deni) playmakers. I still believe Keldon's best used as an oversized 2 rather than a regular or even "small"-sized 3 (I don't hold water to this argument but I won't go over that here), so a PG like White is already a good compliment for him. As I mentioned, a ball-handling 3 or 4 (ahem, Achiuwa?) would be a really solid addition to even things out, and from the C position I'd be really interested in having a player that's a lob threat and a rim-runner, whilst also nimble enough to defend the perimeter (think Clint Capela, but not actually Capela, I don't like his weak ass). Kind of what Wiseman projects to be I think? Haven't watched much on him to be honest, maybe a better comp is JJJ, now that's a solid compliment to Keldon's game.

I think a strong big man at either the 4 or 5 would be the most imperative and the best fit with Keldon's game. Someone who matches Keldon's physicality, is strong on the glass, can be a roller and finisher on the P&R (which for the sake of this argument, Keldon has mastered), and can be an outside threat to stretch the defense and give Keldon the room to work his magic on the inside. I don't ever see Keldon becoming an ISO type of player, so he'd benefit from more of a fluid, fast-paced offense, and you need agile players to compliment that.

And above all, no midgets. No defensive sieves that Keldon has to cover for and waste his energy for. No lazy vets that can't run the floor or keep up, or are black-holes on offense. So I'm thinking a kind of thorough remodelation of the current team, but hey, it's all hypotheticals here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll play, although I really doubt Keldon becomes a franchise player.

-First of all, his position is SG, not SF. Sure, he could play SF if needed, but the position he would have the best advantage at would be SG.

-White at PG is a nice compliment.

-a mobile Center that can defend pick and rolls and switch into guards is the ideal center in today's NBA. Bonus points if he can shoot the three, but it's not an obligation at this position. A Myles Turner type is ideal, although thinking in our roster Poeltl is more than OK.

-and then two 6' 8" ish forwards to round up the lineup. Two-way players that can defend 1 through 4 (or 5 if possible), and that can shoot and attack the basket after kick outs. Guys like TJ Warren, Robert Covington, Otto Porter Jr, etc.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White/Diwnwidie
    Keldon (top15)/Walker
    Anunoby/Stanley Johnson
    Mirotic/Morris
    Ibaka/Baynes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the is Stan still making his way onto Spurs fantasy rosters?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is a wing, he doesn't have the quickness nor the handles to be a full time two. His game is more in the Kawhi mode.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the is Stan still making his way onto Spurs fantasy rosters?
    The Scola stuff took far too long to die too. It's just part of the culture here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A solid, two-way 4/f, and a starting caliber SF would be nice, but, If Keldon really becomes a superstar, he'll make every teammate around him better, therefore building a quality, supporting cast. I bring this up because we all know that if the Spurs don['t draft a star, we're not getting one.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id go for an athletic center to pick and roll, pf who can space the floor and shoots 3, plus two guards with high iq basketball and defensive skills. But still its too early to say, keldon is young and can develope in any direction. I really like that hes still workin hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is a wing, he doesn't have the quickness nor the handles to be a full time two. His game is more in the Kawhi mode.
    IMO he's our PJ Tucker. His skills are PJ when he was on the Suns, before he got really confident

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answer for any type of wing is guards like White, sizable 3 and D wings and mobile bigs who can either space, rim run or both.

Unless it's a small combo guard primarily playing off ball on offense (think Mills), a two is a wing.

Green probably had better lateral quickness than Johnson, but he couldn't handle to save his life yet has been a starting two for nearly a decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are ST'ers overrating a noob again? Every other player is a diamond in the rough now.

Thread Information