Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is funny seeing the liberals lobby for staying home and the conservatives lobbying for going out - myself included but pulled from both sides as I have an asthmatic son (and scared to death for him). I know that there is no way I can convince him to not start college but hope to buy time so that treatment improves so that if he ends up in the hospital, his chances are higher. I see both sides of the education angle as I KNOW what it's like to stay home 24-7 for any length of time - from both the parent and children side. OTOH, not everyone has the resources, will, temperament, type of job to stay home and help out with child care/education.
    Yeah it's hilarious seeing conservatives want to open the economy back up full tilt at the expense of people's lives.

I bet you are the trumper type that doesn't wear a mask unless told to either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I stated before, here in Miami, we get a choice - virtual, in person or other (arrangement with school) and we can switch from one to the other anytime (I assume there will be a lag time if you switch from one method to another). But of course, parent is responsible for child care/supervision for younger kids - imo, it would be very difficult to virtually teach a child who doesn't know how to read.
    It's the teachers that are expendable

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a response.

I guess you don't need a seatbelt when you put on the armor of God every morning
    What do you expect? I am not in the business of predictions - like everyone else, I'm in the dark about covid. We can only go with what we know AT THAT TIME - all this guessing and BASHING of people IN HINDSIGHT is ridiculous - no one knows.

All I know is that the majority of the country cannot stay locked up indefinitely - it will drive them crazy or is not feasible for many. Not to seem like I'm rubbing it in, but this covid period has been as close to heaven on earth FOR ME - all my kids and hubby confined to the house, board games most nights - it has been a godsend that will never happen again with kids off to work/college and living all over the country. But I am blessed to have a job that is suitable for telework - not everyone is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you expect? I am not in the business of predictions - like everyone else, I'm in the dark about covid. We can only go with what we know AT THAT TIME - all this guessing and BASHING of people IN HINDSIGHT is ridiculous - no one knows.

All I know is that the majority of the country cannot stay locked up indefinitely - it will drive them crazy or is not feasible for many. Not to seem like I'm rubbing it in, but this covid period has been as close to heaven on earth FOR ME - all my kids and hubby confined to the house, board games most nights - it has been a godsend that will never happen again with kids off to work/college and living all over the country. But I am blessed to have a job that is suitable for telework - not everyone is.
    How about this:

If one teacher does from covid that can be traced to the classroom setting, do you shut it all down or do you keep the schools open?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's hilarious seeing conservatives want to open the economy back up full tilt at the expense of people's lives.

I bet you are the trumper type that doesn't wear a mask unless told to either.
    You'd be betting on the wrong side. I am RELIGIOUS :-) about wearing a mask - remember I have an asthmatic son and do everything I can to delay him getting it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just it. Our respective states went AGAINST what was known at the time in a rush to get customers in Bill Miller and Pollo Tropical.

We're both definitely on track to do the same with schools.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about this:

If one teacher does from covid that can be traced to the classroom setting, do you shut it all down or do you keep the schools open?
    School operations will be a nightmare - getting them to school (temperature checks before getting on bus), social distancing, lunch, bathroom, contact tracing if some one gets sick. I assume a separate area to keep kids if they come in with temperature. It's very much learning and adjusting/adapting as we go along.

Off topic - I've been binge watching Game of Thrones with kids (re-watching for them) and it's just like covid - because they knew how it ended (hindsight) you hear all this bashing of Tyrion (who was my favorite character) as he struggles through the unknown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd be betting on the wrong side. I am RELIGIOUS :-) about wearing a mask - remember I have an asthmatic son and do everything I can to delay him getting it.
    So you wear a mask around the house when he's there? That's actually pretty impressive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    School operations will be a nightmare - getting them to school (temperature checks before getting on bus), social distancing, lunch, bathroom, contact tracing if some one gets sick. I assume a separate area to keep kids if they come in with temperature. It's very much learning and adjusting/adapting as we go along.

Off topic - I've been binge watching Game of Thrones with kids (re-watching for them) and it's just like covid - because they knew how it ended (hindsight) you hear all this bashing of Tyrion (who was my favorite character) as he struggles through the unknown.
    Schools already don't let kids come in with temperatures.

So just to be clear, you're ok with a teacher(s) losing their life for the sake of classroom teaching.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just it. Our respective states went AGAINST what was known at the time in a rush to get customers in Bill Miller and Pollo Tropical.

We're both definitely on track to do the same with schools.
    I have no idea what Bill Miller is. Pollo Tropical has always been open.

The whole point of the lockdown was not to overwhelm the hospitals - that hasn't happened yet. If a parent doesn't want his kids to go to school (which is NOT what the data that's being collected here in Miami is showing - the parents overwhelming are choosing in person), then don't choose in person and make child care arrangements. All virtual has ALWAYS been an option.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just to be clear, you're ok with a teacher(s) losing their life for the sake of classroom teaching.
    So to be clear you're willing to sacrifice the future of America cos of possible sniffles?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what Bill Miller is. Pollo Tropical has always been open.

The whole point of the lockdown was not to overwhelm the hospitals - that hasn't happened yet. If a parent doesn't want his kids to go to school (which is NOT what the data that's being collected here in Miami is showing - the parents overwhelming are choosing in person), then don't choose in person and make child care arrangements. All virtual has ALWAYS been an option.
    Especially for poor people!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you wear a mask around the house when he's there? That's actually pretty impressive
    Of course not, but I am very careful when I go out. I wear mask, gloves and dispose of them before getting in car, wipe down everything I bring into the house, etc. He will not be half so careful when he goes off to college - but I can't control everything - I teach him as best as I can and trust in God. And while this period has been good for me, it is not for the kids - ds' internship was cancelled this summer - they need to go out and meet people, make friends and carry on with their lives.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially for poor people!
    My sympathy is for the people who can't afford to stay home or pay for child care. Seems to me that it's the ones who are comfortable, secure and able to telework that want to keep these poor people in. Everything in life is a risk. What happens if there isn't an effective vaccine? Do we stay shut in indefinitely?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schools already don't let kids come in with temperatures.

Where do I ever say that? You are the one who is forecasting - I'm not playing that game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My sympathy is for the people who can't afford to stay home or pay for child care. Seems to me that it's the ones who are comfortable, secure and able to telework that want to keep these poor people in. Everything in life is a risk. What happens if there isn't an effective vaccine? Do we stay shut in indefinitely?
    Always with the straw men and false dichotomies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, how about us creating a safety net?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My sympathy is for those dirty freeloaders.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You tried spewing right wing propaganda about why Florida's COVID cases were exploding and now you want to play victim .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do I ever say that? You are the one who is forecasting - I'm not playing that game.
    Wow highly transmissible virus that kills old people would kill old people is forecasting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Safety nets are only for banks and Corporate-Americans in this hole nation, not for what boutons_deux calls Human-Americans. Very robust safety net in this nation, it's just not for the people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow highly transmissible virus that kills old people would kill old people is forecasting?
    He is forecasting teacher(s) dying teaching a classroom of kids - in person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is funny seeing the liberals lobby for staying home and the conservatives lobbying for going out - myself included but pulled from both sides as I have an asthmatic son (and scared to death for him). I know that there is no way I can convince him to not start college but hope to buy time so that treatment improves so that if he ends up in the hospital, his chances are higher. I see both sides of the education angle as I KNOW what it's like to stay home 24-7 for any length of time - from both the parent and children side. OTOH, not everyone has the resources, will, temperament, type of job to stay home and help out with child care/education.
    why would you be scared? isn't this just like the flu? plus you can always pray it away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is forecasting teacher(s) dying teaching a classroom of kids - in person.
    Yeah no re , old people dying of a highly transmissible virus that kills old people isn't exactly a stretch.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    How about this:

If one checker dies from covid that can be traced from someone shopping for groceries, do you shut it all down or do you keep grocery stores open?

Thread Information