Page 29 of 95 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vucevic is a legit all-star in his prime.
    His contract is also great, 24 million in 21-22 season and 22 in 22-23 season.

I love Jakob, but if we're to be a legit playoff team, his flaws are just too much.
    Amazing defender, sets great screens, but that's it. His finishing around the rim is soft, he's one of the worst FT shooters in the league and he's still a foul machine.
    I can't see him playing more than 20 to 25mpg on a serious playoff team.

Now if you look at the rest of our roster, right now it looks like our starting lineup in a couple of years should be DJ/Derrick/Devin/Keldon, with Luka and Lonnie as the other players in contention to start.
    None of them except for Devin will ever be legit 3pt shooters who're off-ball menace that causes chaos with their movement. Really bad spacing for modern game.
    Lonnie is the other guy who can become an elite 3pt shooter, but he's been disappointing so far and I think he's the first one on the trading block if we talk young players.

If you start Jakob with those guys, it's simply not sustainable on offense. If we talk serious playoff teams, ofc.
    Vucevic is averaging 6.5 3pa on 41% this season.

He might not be an ideal solution, but the facts are that we need some kind of a legit floor spacer on PF or C.
    And I'd always take Vucevic over Collins, especially if we look at contract situations.
    Right on the money. I've been making this point for weeks and people here didn't get it. Ideally I'd still like to keep Poeltl as an off the bench big, since his D is really elite. He's a big reason why the bench group with Murray got the best Net-Rating in the NBA. But on the other hand, the team really needs a 3-point shooting big

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its hard seeing any teams parting with any serious future assets for a Rudy rental. Maybe a second round pick or a salary dump saving the Spurs some cash.

Patty could bring back a decent future asset since he's younger and could be re-signed after this season with 2-3 more years of production. No way does Pop actually trade him tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno boys, I just see the Vooch rumblings as more “spurs are interested” posturing than I do any indication of an imminent move. Mainly because critically evaluating his fit and the various give and take with offense, defense, what has made us successful this year when we win games leads me to the conclusion Vucevic isn’t a serious possibility.

Perhaps in the coming years you could make the argument that surrounding Vucevic with defenders like DJ, Derrick, Vassell, now Luka will allow the team to be a top 5-10 team defensively with a higher scoring potential than we would with Jakob as the starter, but I’m not there yet and don’t see Vooch as being the answer to creating a le contending team.
    I am agreeing with you too. If Orlando is interested in being a seller, like someone else on the board is suggesting, let's see if we can get Mo Bamba and work him into be Jakob's backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the thing is if the price for Vuc is high, then Myles Turner shouldn't cost that much more. That's really the type of big man I want, mobile shotblocker with a 3-point shot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar to Orlando

Heat, Celtics, or Hornets take Vucevic

Extra parts (from the Heat, Celtics, or Hornets) go to Spurs
    While I don't think we're sending ddr out, I do think your concept is right in regard to these reports. I don't think we're after Vuc, I think we're after assets from our participation in a Vuc trade... if we're buying then I suspect Gordon is the target...if we're selling then picks are what we're after..... for me, I hope we're buying..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally some interesting news.
    Conjecture. We often get mentioned in order to prod some other team into action, or to pump up the value of a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Magic have a surprisingly dirty cap sheet ($124M committed next season) for such a bad team. I wonder how much of them possibly being willing to move Vucevic is salary relief, as opposed to only acquiring assets. I assume Poeltl would be part of the trade because he's on a very team-friendly deal and probably wouldn't like going back to the bench much. Gay + Poeltl + 1st probably gets it done, but that could be a high price to pay for a 30-year-old big, even though his contract is pretty good considering his production.

Vucevic shoots 41.2% on threes on 6.5 attempts per game. Having him instead of Poeltl would really goose the offense, especially with low-3PAr players like Murray and DeRozan in the starting lineup (assuming DDR stays). I haven't watched the Magic at all, though, so while I'm pretty sure Vucevic would be a marked downgrade on defense from Poeltl, I don't know how big that downgrade would be.
    It would destroy the defense, though. He can’t protect the rim or switch like Poodle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right on the money. I've been making this point for weeks and people here didn't get it. Ideally I'd still like to keep Poeltl as an off the bench big, since his D is really elite. He's a big reason why the bench group with Murray got the best Net-Rating in the NBA. But on the other hand, the team really needs a 3-point shooting big
    Does it, though?

The Spurs unequivocally need more 3pt shooting - but not necessarily coming from the C position, and especially not if it comes at the cost of losing out on Jakob's elite defensive presence, which elevates the entire team around him. For one, unless he really, really can't get his foul troubles in check (which he's managed to do for the most part this season, at least compared to last one/the bubble), Poeltl is a starting-caliber player for sure, and benching him will greatly reduce his impact - and also weaken the main unit's defense, by a big margin. People sleep on it, but we don't really have all that good of a defensive SL: Dejounte is obviously the best of the bunch, and even he is prone to lapses and off-nights getting cooked by opposing guards; Lonnie needs no explanation; DeMar doesn't either; Keldon, while really strong against bigs and in general man-to-man, is a lousy team defender right now, and probably will take a few years to get better, if ever. Poeltl being there helps hide the entire SL's defensive woes, in the same way that having Bryn Forbes in the SL exacerbates the problem not only for him, but for the entire lineup.

So yes, it'd be cool if Poeltl could shoot from outside. But is having a shooting C really worth losing the foundation of the Spurs' defense? I'd say no. Of course, the dream is to have a C that's both elite defensively, and also a shooter - but those tend to go literally #1 in the draft due to being such a coveted archetype (Ayton, Embiid, etc). And the ones who aren't good defenders, often trend towards being liabilities on that end (KAT is the perfect example), which this team really doesn't need. I'd argue the Spurs would be much better served trying to replace DeRozan with a high-volume 3&D wing (Vassell could get there someday, but he's not ready yet and won't be for maybe a year or two), than trying to find the next 3&D center anywhere outside of the top lottery.

It's a bit like saying, the Spurs should get a volume shooting SG! With that SG being literally Forbes. Most times, not worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vuc, AG and Bamba are interesting pieces. First two are not without their flaws and need the right compliment at the 4/5. Lohnnie for Bamba straight up is a fair trade and a wise gamble IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conjecture. We often get mentioned in order to prod some other team into action, or to pump up the value of a player.
    1) so other teams use the Spurs whose reputation is being reluctant dealers?
    2) doubt the Magic are the ones who called the Spurs about a deal given that we have Poeltl shining lately, so it must have been the other way around but not exclusively for Vucevic but for participation in a deal as mo7888 said
    3) three teams isn't enough to prod the other team to trade, they needed a fourth in the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We started winning when we benched an offensive center for Poeltl. Seems like a step back to go get another one.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definetely in favor of trading any or all of the expiring vets along with Lonnie for front-court upgrades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happens all the time. If the Spurs are “interested” it must be a quality player and quality guy, right? The state of NBA journalism has also cratered to the point that guys without information go to the trade checker, and just see what fits. It’s not other teams, it’s wanna be writers and player agents.

There are like maybe four writers who I consider plugged in, and if it isn’t one of them, I scroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vuc, AG and Bamba are interesting pieces. First two are not without their flaws and need the right compliment at the 4/5. Lohnnie for Bamba straight up is a fair trade and a wise gamble IMO.
    A change of scenery for two underperforming young guys might be win/win. Besides, at the home games when Mo blocks a shot the sound system can play a bit of Richie Valens La bamba.
    Last edited by Ocotillo; 03-08-2021 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bamba is looking like a bust. I get the curb appeal but Lonnie is actually showing something. At best, Bamba could hope for a Nerlens Noel kinda career. He can’t even crack the rotation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the point of trading for Vucevic. We'd give up so many young pieces to get him that we still wouldn't be a contender and would compromise the future.
    I don’t have a problem trading one of the young core, but not for a position that we seem to have covered with a high value contract. Poeltl is a +7 net per 100 possessions. I doubt Vuc sniffs that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    +1 for vucevic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a few days ago I was thinking about two trades and decided to post about the Collins one instead (Collins and Gallinari for Aldridge, Walker, and whatever picks to make it even) but the second trade was this one:

ORL: Aldridge, Walker, Lyles, and whatever is appropriate/reasonable pick wise
    SAS: Vucevic, Ennis, & Clark

As a part time Magic fan this really helps them with their cap situation and as a Spurs fan a second All Star to this team gets us back in business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would people be okay with a high performing version of Aldridge off the bench for Poeltl? Because maybe that's what we would be getting if the interest is real. Imagine Vucevic dropping 20 a night off the bench for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Eubanks traumatized Pop so much that they're considering options like this. I don't feel he's comfortable having Luka as a back up 5 and we have to get a backup 5 at some point. Can Vucevic set aside his ego and have a career turning point similar to when Rudy Gay signed with the Spurs up to now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a few days ago I was thinking about two trades and decided to post about the Collins one instead (Collins and Gallinari for Aldridge, Walker, and whatever picks to make it even) but the second trade was this one:

ORL: Aldridge, Walker, Lyles, and whatever is appropriate/reasonable pick wise
    SAS: Vucevic, Ennis, & Clark

As a part time Magic fan this really helps them with their cap situation and as a Spurs fan a second All Star to this team gets us back in business.
    This is a good trade. I'd probably see if I can get Fournier instead of Ennis or Clark.

Lonnie idolized T-Mac, wears #1, knows what it's like to live in Florida, and the Magic probably sees some type of resemblance.

There's no bigger hole on the team than when Poeltl goes to the bench. We get destroyed hard when he's replaced by Eubanks or Aldridge (when he's off)
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe that we have an actual hypothetical trade to discuss, dismantle, attack each other about and ultimately say it was doomed anyway.

It feels good to have some possibility of growth, though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would people be okay with a high performing version of Aldridge off the bench for Poeltl? Because maybe that's what we would be getting if the interest is real. Imagine Vucevic dropping 20 a night off the bench for us.
    Vucevic is an All Star this year, like he played in the game yesterday. He’s not going to want to come off the bench.

Here’s my thought on this. Getting vuvevic is going to be very expensive, like multiple young players, plus picks. He’s a current All Star. He’s also not a great fit. I’m not sure he moves the needle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OrlandoMagi...m_source=share

Magic fans apparently like our young talent, specifically Vassell...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So was Aldridge.
    Who also joined when he was 30 and was great up until he turned 35.
    We'd get an all-star on a really good deal for his 30-32 seasons.

Yeah, I love all the young guys, but something has to give. They're not a good fit together.
    DJ/Keldon/Devin assuming Devin becomes an elite 3pt shooter and if we added another great 3pt shooter? Then we could play Poeltl.

Unless we see some nephew-like, miraculous improvements, either we get a 3pt shooting big, or we trade some of the young guys for actual shooters.
    Vucevic isn't a great defender, but he's not awful. He's faster than LMA ever was and we can all agree that 2018 LMA would be an ideal fit with hypothetical DJ/Derrick/Devin/Keldon perimeter starting lineup.

Or as already mentioned, we could try for Turner, would be the perfect fit. Demar could probably be even more effective then. I don't think Demar signs a new deal if we get Vucevic.

Imo, 4 veterans, 2022 or 2023 1st rounder and Lonnie are expendable assets. That's way more than any other legit playoff team has right now, unless they're willing to trade key players.

Thread Information