Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. Better defense from giving up 130 pts the other night and just 106 tonight. Great closeouts, switching and defending every position. I like our guys when they play great defense. I also like them taking it to the hole and earning free throw. great win. I hope it continuous tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has such a fast burst to the basket. He's deceptively athletic. All he needs to make those shots, which I don't doubt he would. Funny how on that last possession, he tried to pass to Reynolds to give him the TO instead. It didn't show on both their stats anyway
    Last edited by John B; 04-01-2021 at 01:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, any insight on Jakob's free throw woes?

My eyes tell me that he has been trying to work on his form with Chip. It just looks very mechanical...like he is thinking through his steps instead of just letting it fly. As we know, anytime you make an adjustment to something you have done naturally for years, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

When his shot goes in, it looks pretty and has good rotation...he even got a kind bounce off the front of the rim on one free throw last night.

On the other hand, when he is off......yeesh, he is way off. Any player shooting off instinct alone should be able to at least hit the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has such a fast burst to the basket. He's deceptively athletic. All he needs to make those shots, which I don't doubt he would. Funny how on that last possession, he tried to pass to Reynolds to give him the TO instead. It didn't show on both their stats anyway
    My understanding is that dribbling out the ball at the end of game goes down as a team turnover and doesn't affect the player who has the ball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop not holding back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigs with long, slow shots at the line are the ones that seem to struggle. More time to overthink the mechanics in game.

he needs a change of routine or to adopt the Duncan stare down with the hoop followed by an abrupt 2x speed motion to eliminate any possibility of alligator arming the mechanics

his mechanics and touch aren’t terrible. There’s just no consistency to the motion because it’s so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop not holding back.
    Yup that was pretty direct, no improvement since the day he got here. And this with Chip who has been nothing less than the reknowned guru of shooting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup that was pretty direct, no improvement since the day he got here. And this with Chip who has been nothing less than the reknowned guru of shooting
    Dude doesn’t put in any work during the off-season. No real surprises about his free throw shooting. I’m glad Pop is calling him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's historically bad. I keep thinking he should try it one handed. If he is that bad at it, there is no way this could hurt imo. Also, he could try to bank every shot. That would be both hilarious and should be a real consideration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    amazing what some decent outside shooting can do for this team. and metu is still finding ways to be a detriment to the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you have Chip Engelland on your staff, there is no reason ANYONE's FT % should be below 75%, let alone airballing two consecutive FTs in a professional game. That doesn't even happen in girl's Middle School B Team games. Jesus Christ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is just the easiest target, isn't he?

On a night when he was one of the best players, people still find a way to complain.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    granny shot jak. granny shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On a night when he was one of the best players, people still find a way to complain.
    Not just the fans. Even Pop himself is calling him out. I mean yeah he works hard, he said. But does he really? It seems like just a gesture not to totally alienate his starting C. Look the signing of Dieng is obviously not an accident. Dieng can shoot and contrary to what Poeltl can do. And to have his poor FT make the starting C not playeable in the 4th and closing period IS somrthing needed yo be addressed. This is precisely what this discussion is about.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When LMA was on the team his closeouts and defensive mistakes were pointed out all the time and rightfully so. Now that Poetl who yall like to swallow is being criticize now it's "picking on him"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just the fans. Even Pop himself is calling him out. I mean yeah he works hard, he said. But does he really? It seems like just a gesture not to totally alienate his starting C. Look the signing of Dieng is obviously not an accident. Dieng can shoot and contrary to what Poeltl can do. And to have his poor FT make the starting C not playeable in the 4th and closing period IS somrthing needed yo be addressed. This is precisely what this discussion is about.
    There was more praise from Pop and the other players interviewed last night than criticism. Pop was asked the question, he gave an answer. Poeltl is what he is, and he's been improving on his rolls and overall offense yet people still expect a back to the basket game + free throws from one of the lowest paid starting centers in the league. This Spurs team has bigger problems than Poeltl and the center rotation, especially if Dieng's injury is minor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When LMA was on the team his closeouts and defensive mistakes were pointed out all the time and rightfully so. Now that Poetl who yall like to swallow is being criticize now it's "picking on him"
    I'm not even a huge Poeltl defender, but how is this even a comparison? LMA gave up so many more points as a poor defender than the points Poeltl gives up from being bad at free throws. LMA's offense didn't even make up for his bad defense. Poeltl's defense makes up for his poor offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was more praise from Pop and the other players interviewed last night than criticism. Pop was asked the question, he gave an answer. Poeltl is what he is, and he's been improving on his rolls and overall offense yet people still expect a back to the basket game + free throws from one of the lowest paid starting centers in the league. This Spurs team has bigger problems than Poeltl and the center rotation, especially if Dieng's injury is minor.
    Poeltl is the starting C. He wanted the job and he got the job. I think it's good that people are noticing his awful FT and fouling him forcefully, if that would get him work harder on his free throws. Chris Dudley has worst form, but has better FT percentage . Our starting C is shooting 38%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not even a huge Poeltl defender, but how is this even a comparison? LMA gave up so many more points as a poor defender than the points Poeltl gives up from being bad at free throws. LMA's offense didn't even make up for his bad defense. Poeltl's defense makes up for his poor offense.
    i like poeltl and he does get slammed on ST, but usually by the same ST posters that think manu was overrated so...you know. but i'd still prefer that poeltl was a back up or spot player; he's ideal for certain situations and not so much for others. and what he does well, he does very well; what he does poorly, he does quite poorly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is the starting C. He wanted the job and he got the job. I think it's good that people are noticing his awful FT and fouling him forcefully, if that would get him work harder on his free throws. Chris Dudley has worst form, but has better FT percentage . Our starting C is shooting 38%.
    I don't disagree, and like that Pop was asked that question and answered truthfully. It tells us that the coaching staff has definitely noticed this is an ongoing trend, and that they're taking steps to work on it. What I do disagree with, is posters expecting the issue to be solved overnight, when it's not realistic. Players usually don't work on their games during a season, and especially so during a schedule as condensed as the Spurs' to end this one - Jakob will probably go through some form of "getting locked up in the gym till he hits 100 FTs in a row", but we're not gonna get that until the off-season at the earliest. As Dex says, it's probably gonna get worse before it gets better...

And it's a damn shame that the bad FT shooting shadows over the rest of his amazing game, and leads posters to stupidly think he hasn't improved on or worked on his offense. He's getting noticeably better, to the point that the fact that he has a double-double isn't even a passing mention for him anymore. Of course we're gonna hear all about it from ST Experts™ once he has a 4pt game though, but that's just how it is I guess. He has to get better at FTs, no doubt.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a problem if he wants to be the starting/closing 5. And I won’t defend shooting ft so poorly... even as an Austrian. No f*** way. He should throw it at the backboard to bank some in at least, but please... no airballs ever again.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree, and like that Pop was asked that question and answered truthfully. It tells us that the coaching staff has definitely noticed this is an ongoing trend, and that they're taking steps to work on it. What I do disagree with, is posters expecting the issue to be solved overnight, when it's not realistic. Players usually don't work on their games during a season, and especially so during a schedule as condensed as the Spurs' to end this one - Jakob will probably go through some form of "getting locked up in the gym till he hits 100 FTs in a row", but we're not gonna get that until the off-season at the earliest. As Dex says, it's probably gonna get worse before it gets better...

And it's a damn shame that the bad FT shooting shadows over the rest of his amazing game, and leads posters to stupidly think he hasn't improved on or worked on his offense. He's getting noticeably better, to the point that the fact that he has a double-double isn't even a passing mention for him anymore. Of course we're gonna hear all about it from ST Experts™ once he has a 4pt game though, but that's just how it is I guess. He has to get better at FTs, no doubt.
    I like what you’re saying and hope for the best. But I also think he only has this offseason to show an improvement - if not, his days as a starter are over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think it gets magnified with Chip in the coaching staff.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m surprised no one is clamoring for Metu. I mean, he looked way better on the Kings. Not great, and still sort of a moron, and 2nd stringer at best, but his outside shot looked honest. Maybe he’s comfortable being back in Cali. But it’s annoying that his potential was never realized on the Spurs. Not a huge issue. But he could help the team in theory. In practice, another player to steal minutes from Luka perhaps, sure. Still.

Thread Information