Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The San Antonio Spurs have renounced the rights to Tracy McGrady, Robert Horry and Glenn Robinson @BBallInsiders

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The San Antonio Spurs also renounced the rights to Nick Van Exel @BBallInsiders - I am NOT making this stuff up - these are facts

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The Spurs also renounced the rights to Manu Ginobili - he'll be re-signing via the room exception, not Bird rights @BBallInsiders

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The Spurs also renounced the rights to Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudamire @BBallInsiders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not trade for Rudy Gobert as a 5th big he's on a dirt cheap rookie deal? I'm sure Utah would consider KA and LJC + a protected 1st rounder?
    i honestly doubt they would trade him for leonard tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The San Antonio Spurs have renounced the rights to Tracy McGrady, Robert Horry and Glenn Robinson @BBallInsiders

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The San Antonio Spurs also renounced the rights to Nick Van Exel @BBallInsiders - I am NOT making this stuff up - these are facts

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The Spurs also renounced the rights to Manu Ginobili - he'll be re-signing via the room exception, not Bird rights @BBallInsiders

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    The Spurs also renounced the rights to Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudamire @BBallInsiders

damn, cleaning up all the cobwebs

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    damn, cleaning up all the cobwebs
    Exorcising the demon by wiping out all the failed FA acquisitions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still hanging on to hope that their will be some mutual interest between Ray Allen and the Spurs soon that he will join us sometime in the midsession. Maybe they will use the prorated BAE on him.

For the big man situation I will be happy with either Aldrich or Seraphin, as they're low risk high reward bigs. I'm surprised Serpahin hasn't signed here yet because one of the chicks he is banging lives here and she's very nice as I dated her back in high school .
    FIFY

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Still hanging on to hope that their will be some mutual interest between Ray Allen and the Spurs soon that he will join us sometime in the midsession. Maybe they will use the prorated BAE on him.

For the big man situation I will be happy with either Aldrich or Seraphin, as they're low risk high reward bigs. I'm surprised Serpahin hasn't signed here yet because the chick he is banging lives here and she's very nice as I dated her back in high school .
    -Ray Allen isn't coming out of retirement after he passed up the opportunity to jump on the LeBron train last season.

-As far as Seraphin, he is most likely holding out for a 1 year offer to be a starter & cash in next season since he has stated playing time is his #1 priority.

-I wouldn't mind Aldrich considering his rim protection/rebounding ability although he isn't a good PnR player nor do he set good screens unlike Tiago/Baynes. He did surprisingly have a high assist rate for a center playing in the triangle last season. Overall, he would be a definite upgrade over Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs lack of depth on the wing is quite big. Kyle Anderson questionable SL performance isn't reassuring even if it clearly isn't the best setup for a player like him.
    Spurs still have a little space but it's very little. They barely have above the min salary exception to sign a vet.

Given these parameters, the most likely is that Spurs are either looking to do a small trade for a SG/SF or at looking to sign an overseas SG/SF. The euro being quite low compared to the dollar and the financial uncertainty in some countries might convince some a quality player to join Spurs.

This wait might also very well be nothing like just being a time/logistic issue or just being Spurs wanting to sign Lalanne to a longer/bigger contract than a min salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kyle continues to struggle through SL, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he spends half the season in Austin again. That's a valuable roster spot and I'm sure Pop would be more than willing to fill it with someone who he thinks can help us out better than the 21 year old can right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But yes, as most have stated in this thread, Wing is by far the biggest position of need. Prince and Butler have been mentioned the most, but I have a feeling PATFO are looking elsewhere.

Evan Fournier would be another good prospect, and he's probably my favorite option at this point. I'm sure PATFO are doing their diligence on him, as well as a few others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eric Pincus @EricPincus

Eric Pincus @EricPincus

Eric Pincus @EricPincus

Eric Pincus @EricPincus

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    But yes, as most have stated in this thread, Wing is by far the biggest position of need. Prince and Butler have been mentioned the most, but I have a feeling PATFO are looking elsewhere.

Evan Fournier would be another good prospect, and he's probably my favorite option at this point. I'm sure PATFO are doing their diligence on him, as well as a few others.

The Magic gave up Affalo coming off a boarder-line All-Star season for Fournier (aka Poor-man's Manu) when they could have acquired a better known commodity b/c they really wanted Fournier so they aren't going to give him up for a measly 2nd rd pick ala McCallum.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    If Kyle continues to struggle through SL, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he spends half the season in Austin again. That's a valuable roster spot and I'm sure Pop would be more than willing to fill it with someone who he thinks can help us out better than the 21 year old can right now.
    He's going to get that CoJo treatment until he develops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking more along the lines of PJ Hairston than Fournier. The Spurs aren't gonna get anyone remotely established with that cap space. PJ checks all the boxes, and the Spurs can trade Williams for him, so they wouldn't have to time their signings too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs lack of depth on the wing is quite big. Kyle Anderson questionable SL performance isn't reassuring even if it clearly isn't the best setup for a player like him.
    Spurs still have a little space but it's very little. They barely have above the min salary exception to sign a vet.

Given these parameters, the most likely is that Spurs are either looking to do a small trade for a SG/SF or at looking to sign an overseas SG/SF. The euro being quite low compared to the dollar and the financial uncertainty in some countries might convince some a quality player to join Spurs.

This wait might also very well be nothing like just being a time/logistic issue or just being Spurs wanting to sign Lalanne to a longer/bigger contract than a min salary.
    Maybe they're throwing the rest of the cap space at Printezis? I read somewhere that he's a free agent and I'm assuming getting a contract in Greece isn't an easy thing to do right now. Spurs couldn't do any better than him with the money they have left.

Bruno, is there any reason Printezis would have been added to the Splitter trade if the Spurs didn't have interest in him? Hypothetically, one would assume the Spurs could have simply traded Splitter for a top-55 protected second round pick. However, perhaps there's something in the CBA that changed ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they're throwing the rest of the cap space at Printezis? I read somewhere that he's a free agent and I'm assuming getting a contract in Greece isn't an easy thing to do right now. Spurs couldn't do any better than him with the money they have left.

Bruno, is there any reason Printezis would have been added to the Splitter trade if the Spurs didn't have interest in him? Hypothetically, one would assume the Spurs could have simply traded Splitter for a top-55 protected second round pick. However, perhaps there's something in the CBA that changed ...
    Yeah, it's actually the opposite. The Spurs had to get the pick as part of the deal so that the league would let Splitter-for-Printezis happen. Printezis hasn't come over in so long that the league would probably have ruled him "unlikely to come over", which would have meant that he would have not counted as 'something' for trade purposes. So the Hawks added the pick so that they would for sure be sending out 'something' and the trade would go through. I imagine that was the hangup a couple days ago.

It seems the Spurs specifically wanted him in the deal, so I do think they have interest in bringing him over. But I don't know if he makes sense on the roster as currently constructed.

EDIT: And yeah, I'm not Bruno. But that's the answer as far as I see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it have to be a deal? Can't they just be giving LaMarcus his day and then flying in from wherever to sign the paperwork and have their presser?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's an excellent question.
    Interesting fact:
    Printzeis rights have now been held by 7 different teams
    Spurs twice

SA
    Toronto
    Dallas
    New York
    Portland
    OKC
    Atlanta
    SA
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...printgi01.html

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure but I think he is signed until 2017...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's actually the opposite. The Spurs had to get the pick as part of the deal so that the league would let Splitter-for-Printezis happen. Printezis hasn't come over in so long that the league would probably have ruled him "unlikely to come over", which would have meant that he would have not counted as 'something' for trade purposes. So the Hawks added the pick so that they would for sure be sending out 'something' and the trade would go through. I imagine that was the hangup a couple days ago.

It seems the Spurs specifically wanted him in the deal, so I do think they have interest in bringing him over. But I don't know if he makes sense on the roster as currently constructed.

EDIT: And yeah, I'm not Bruno. But that's the answer as far as I see it.
    Yeah, I knew about the rule that was ins uted to stop teams simply trading away foreign players that would never come over. However, does it work the other way? For example, could the league office say that a top-55 protected second round pick wasn't enough so to make it look more legit the Hawks threw in Printezis? I'm just trying to figure out if Printezis was an actual target or if the Spurs took him as part of a league mandated minimum compensation package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I knew about the rule that was ins uted to stop teams simply trading away foreign players that would never come over. However, does it work the other way? For example, could the league office say that a top-55 protected second round pick wasn't enough so to make it look more legit the Hawks threw in Printezis? I'm just trying to figure out if Printezis was an actual target or if the Spurs took him as part of a league mandated minimum compensation package.
    According to Mark Deeks, top-55 is good enough. You're right that the league did take a stronger stance on minimum considerations for trades recently, though.

First of all, the memo establishes what the league considers now to be 'minimum consideration', parameters it says that have been established over time and through precedent. Section (a) states that the minimum consideration to be given in all trades regardless of the number of teams involved is thereafter to be one of the following, with teams required to give and receive at least one of them:

i) a player under contract,
    ii) a future draft pick, the maximum protection of which is 55 spots,
    iii) a player's draft rights, but specifically those of a player with a 'reasonable' chance of signing in the NBA one day (something judged at the discretion of the NBA), or
    iv) $75,000.
    http://www.shamsports.com/2014/07/co...rade.html#more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Mark Deeks, top-55 is good enough. You're right that the league did take a stronger stance on minimum considerations for trades recently, though.

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/07/co...rade.html#more
    Great find, thanks

So I guess there is legit interest in Printezis. Most likely an extreme longshot to ever get him to the NBA but it appears that the Spurs figured he's with the flier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs signing Printezis wouldn't be more shocking than when they signed Oberto or Haislip. All 3 are/were good but not great Euro players around 30 years old. The big issue to me is that he is another PF while Spurs are loaded at that spot. Adding him wouldn't make a lot of sense roster wise.

Chinook gave a great answer regarding the Splitter trade. Now questions are:
    - Was Printezis included in the likely turned down by the NBA version of the trade because Spurs wanted him?
    - Did he stay in the second version of the trade because Spurs wanted him or just because Hawks/Spurs didn't want to admit to the league they were right when saying that Printezis was a "fake" consideration?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you consider the spurs roster right now and how old the guy is, it's most likely a fake consideration.

I've watched printzis a few times, and while he's a decent euro level player..His skill level is just a tad bit below NBA level. He is athletic, but not by NBA standard. there's a reason why he's 30 and still in europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deron Williams gonna be release by the nets, could be fantastic addition for us, could play the one and the two and maybe even the three, will give us great quality and creativity of the bench and insurance when/if Manu become bad Manu...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great find, thanks

So I guess there is legit interest in Printezis. Most likely an extreme longshot to ever get him to the NBA but it appears that the Spurs figured he's with the flier.
    Would make sense, need a little time to finalize player contract and any team buyout, and, as noted, Greece isn't the easiest place to do business these days.

Thread Information