Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three Big Lies From Conservatives About The Planned Parenthood Case

1) Daleiden Is A Journalist

Following news of the indictments, Daleiden called himself an "investigative journalist," tweeting that Planned Parenthood's local affiliate is "trying to jail investigative journalism." (Never mind that it was actually an anti-Planned Parenthood politician who launched the probe that ensnared him).

Sorry, but Daleiden isn't exactly aiming for a Pulitzer.

For starters, CMP did not originally describe itself as a journalistic outlet. It was only around the time the group started releasing its videos that it updated its website's “About Us” page to say that it was comprised of "citizen journalists."

2) Indictment Proves Planned Parenthood Was Selling Human Tissue
    Anti-choice activists have jumped on the misdemeanor charge that Daleiden faces for attempting to purchase human organs, saying that the charge in turn proves that Planned Parenthood was selling organs.

The Resurgent, a right-wing blog, called the charge a "gift" to the anti-choice movement because it "proves" that Planned Parenthood was selling tissue all along.

This is a big distortion of the case.

Daleiden did send Planned Parenthood an email asking to purchase fetal tissue for $1,600.

However, Planned Parenthood never responded to his offer ... because Planned Parenthood doesn't sell fetal tissue.

3) Planned Parenthood-Linked Attorney 'Tainted' The Investigation

Surprised by the indictments and still unable to prove that Planned Parenthood committed any wrongdoings, now anti-choice activists are contending that the district attorney's office that brought the grand jury investigation must be at fault. After all, the grand jury didn't accept the movement's narrative that, as Ted Cruz put it, Planned Parenthood "confesses to multiple felonies."

The conservative outlet the Federalist thought it found quite the scoop when it reported that one of the prosecutors working in the district attorney's office was a local Planned Parenthood board member, posting an image of her LinkedIn page as damning evidence of misconduct.

Jay Sekulow of the American Center for Law and Justice, the conservative legal group founded by televangelist Pat Robertson, said that the case may been "tainted" by this alleged "conflict of interest."

Except that the assistant district attorney in question had nothing to do with the investigation, and she personally revealed her connection to the organization at the very beginning of the inquiry. No LinkedIn screenshot was needed, as a simple Google search would do.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/three-big-lies-conservatives-about-planned-parenthood-case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    debunking lies and media hoaxes is less effective than the lies and hoaxes themselves.

for example, people on this board were still railing at ACORN years after O'Keefe's video hoax prompted the US Congress to withdraw funding, putting it out of business. a similar dynamic obtains here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fundamental strategy of VRWC/Fox/Regugs/rightwing hate media/Christian Taliban, totally composed of lies, propaganda, slander, straw men.

Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers;

and it often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour, it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it.

Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it;
    so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…

-- Jonathan Swift, 1710

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just like Repug politicians, rightwingnuts still believe ACORN was up to all kinds of bull , CarLIE Fiorina and everybody else on the right still say PP sells baby parts, including the Repug Klowns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Prosecutor Gave the Perfect Answer to People Defending the Anti-Abortion Activists Behind Those Deceptive Videos

Since the indictments, district attorney Devon Anderson has faced an onslaught of criticism from the anti-abortion movement about both the severity of the charges—one is a felony — and a department employee's affiliation with Planned Parenthood.

Today, in a video on KHOU, a Houston TV network, Anderson explained why her office indicted David Daleiden and Susan Merritt. Even though the decision goes against her opinions on abortion, she says, it follows the law.

"An inconvenient truth of a criminal investigation is that it doesn't always lead where you want to go," Anderson says at the start of the video. "Anyone who pays attention knows that I'm pro-life. I believe abortion is wrong. But my personal belief does not relieve me of my obligation to follow the law."

Anderson dispels some of the misconceptions that have sprung up about her office's decision.

For example, defense attorneys have argued that charging both Daleiden and Merritt with a felony for using fake driver's licenses is too extreme, because young people caught with fake ids often receive a misdemeanor charge. But Anderson explains that in Texas, using a fake ID from another state is a felony. "That's the law," she says.

Anderson also addresses the allegation—repeatedly emphasized by the anti-abortion news site LifeNews—that a prosecutor in her department who is involved with the Planned Parenthood board actively participated in the presentation of this case to the grand jury. "That is simply not true," she says.

She noted that soon after the lieutenant governor asked her department to review this case in August, this particular prosecutor made her relationship to Planned Parenthood known, and the department issued a press release saying she would not be involved in the case.

Some defense attorneys have asked for another grand jury to review the case. Anderson says she won't do that, because it cons utes "grand jury shopping."

"That violates the integrity of the whole system," she says. "Twelve Harris County citizens have spoken, and I respect their decision."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016...movements-crap

damn, she really slapped all you rightwingnuts, lovers of O'Keefe/CMP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    debunking lies and media hoaxes is less effective than the lies and hoaxes themselves.

for example, people on this board were still railing at ACORN years after O'Keefe's video hoax prompted the US Congress to withdraw funding, putting it out of business. a similar dynamic obtains here.
    Obtains here? I think you don't like me because I am the more compelling pedant.

The scale is a bit different in this instance and the GOP was still trying to figure out how Obama got elected not once but twice. That was also the time period where they tried to create a string of web sites made to look like rural radio stations.

Planned parenthood and the women's movement is a bit better organized and rabid than ACORN.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP won’t drop crusade against Planned Parenthood

The editorial board of the Washington Post argued that it’s time for the GOP to “give up its crusade” against Planned Parenthood. The Huffington Post reported yesterday, however, that congressional Republicans are “determined to push on.”

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who is chairing a select investigative committee that purports to be investigating “big abortion providers” – but for all intents and purposes is only scrutinizing Planned Parenthood – said in a statement Tuesday that “the mission of our investigation has not changed.” […]

Blackburn’s committee was created even as other Republicans, like Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), said they didn’t find any evidence of wrongdoing on the provider’s part. Multiple state investigations have come to similar conclusions.

GOP lawmakers’ reluctance to accept the evidence as it exists seems unsustainable.

it’s not just the Texas grand jury that cleared Planned Parenthood of any wrongdoing. At last count,

11 states – Kansas, Florida, Ohio, Washington, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, and South Dakota – launched official investigations into the organization’s work.

Each of the 11 probes reached the same conclusion: Planned Parenthood did not illegally sell fetal tissue.

Other states considered investigations, but chose not to move forward due to lack of evidence.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

Repugs pandering to the Christian Taliban, NO MATTER WHAT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obtains here? I think you don't like me because I am the more compelling pedant. The scale is a bit different in this instance and the GOP was still trying to figure out how Obama got elected not once but twice. That was also the time period where they tried to create a string of web sites made to look like rural radio stations. Planned parenthood and the women's movement is a bit better organized and rabid than ACORN.
    Why do you think Wino is competing with you, Fuzzy? His point was simply that the hoaxes are proving increasingly more politically meaningful than the inevitable reasoned debunking that follows them. As to scale... you're right to say pro-choice activism is more focused and organized, but you can only take out Planned Parenthood if you take out legislators that would defend it, and destroying ACORN was a useful step in flipping some seats in favor of conservative Christian lawmakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think Wino is competing with you, Fuzzy? His point was simply that the hoaxes are proving increasingly more politically meaningful than the inevitable reasoned debunking that follows them. As to scale... you're right to say pro-choice activism is more focused and organized, but you can only take out Planned Parenthood if you take out legislators that would defend it, and destroying ACORN was a useful step in flipping some seats in favor of conservative Christian lawmakers.
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=1#post8397197

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As to the topic, ACORN was under indictment. PP is exonerated and these guys are getting indicted in multiple states. Sure GOP tactics are to marginalize but the women's right plurality is a bit different than an inner city minority voting rights initiative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you mean "it's too late, damage is done" I concur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People here correct one another all the time, don't they? I don't see the ishness you're getting from that, but maybe it's just me -- don't come here often enough to recognize ongoing beefs between posters. Anyway, sorry for the OT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People here correct one another all the time, don't they? I don't see the ishness you're getting from that, but maybe it's just me -- don't come here often enough to recognize ongoing beefs between posters. Anyway, sorry for the OT.
    Sure but whenever I get into serious God threads like the one Pheno finally bowed out of wine starts taking shots at me.

He hates me. He has so much as told me reasons why. He calls me a pompous ass and then nitpicks in my response to my inquiries of the above. Thus my claims of irony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As to the topic, ACORN was under indictment. PP is exonerated and these guys are getting indicted in multiple states. Sure GOP tactics are to marginalize but the women's right plurality is a bit different than an inner city minority voting rights initiative.
    The point still stands, doesn't it? ACORN's indictment was created by a laughable scam. PP's attempted indictment is being defended as ACORN's should have been (because the think-tanks employed to defend such crises figured out a response). Not disputing a difference between voter registration activism and reproductive rights movement, just suggesting there's an order of operations that requires one cause be dismantled before the next. Also agreeing with the idea that the political damage is done by the splashy headline, not the intellectual dissection of said headline's lack of merit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but whenever I get into serious God threads like the one Pheno finally bowed out of wine starts taking shots at me. He hates me. He has so much as told me reasons why. He calls me a pompous ass and then nitpicks in my response to my inquiries of the above. Thus my claims of irony.
    Ah... if we weren't assholes, we wouldn't be debating politics angrily and (hopefully) anonymously on a basketball bulletin board. We're ALL pedantic assholes here, dude, and the result of being a "compelling pedant," as you say, amounts to a big bowl of s in the end. Just take it from a middle-aged asshole who wasted too much time in places like this once: 5 years from now you will wonder why you ever gave a that people were stupid or wrong, or what they were stupid and wrong about. Don't take any of this personally -- it's as substantive as a dumb conversation at a bar.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benghazi! no evidence! (but there's a do entary movie that's bombing that proves Hillary was LYING!)

email!

ACORN! STING, FRAUD. Dems the bed and voted to kill ACORN!

PP "selling baby parts"! FALSE

What Great Way to up a country.

Thanks, Repugs! The country is your bloody, ty hands.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this CarLIE nut is completely unhinged

Fiorina On Planned Parenthood Case: Clinton Hasn't Been Indicted, Either

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina said Thursday at the Republican presidential debate that the justice system had failed to indict Planned Parenthood executives, just as it failed to indict Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in the saga over her private email server.

"You know, Hillary Clinton hasn't been indicted either," Fiorina responded. "So that tells us a lot about our justice system in this country. But, look, the facts of Planned Parenthood have not changed, folks, and I will not be rendered silent on this issue or any other issue and it doesn't matter what stage I'm on."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fiorina-planned-parenthood-hillary-clinton?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point still stands, doesn't it? ACORN's indictment was created by a laughable scam. PP's attempted indictment is being defended as ACORN's should have been (because the think-tanks employed to defend such crises figured out a response). Not disputing a difference between voter registration activism and reproductive rights movement, just suggesting there's an order of operations that requires one cause be dismantled before the next. Also agreeing with the idea that the political damage is done by the splashy headline, not the intellectual dissection of said headline's lack of merit.
    The tactic won't work is my point. NOW and other groups are entrenched and relatively powerful. The GOP does attempt to marginalize through the courts and press routinely. Our last two governors are a shining example of that.

What you are making is some slippery slope initiation scenario and that doesn't make sense. The GOP dixiecrat types have been doing that since the Civil War.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah... if we weren't assholes, we wouldn't be debating politics angrily and (hopefully) anonymously on a basketball bulletin board. We're ALL pedantic assholes here, dude, and the result of being a "compelling pedant," as you say, amounts to a big bowl of s in the end. Just take it from a middle-aged asshole who wasted too much time in places like this once: 5 years from now you will wonder why you ever gave a that people were stupid or wrong, or what they were stupid and wrong about. Don't take any of this personally -- it's as substantive as a dumb conversation at a bar.
    Repeating my point on the irony and directing it at me instead is fun I guess. I'm not whining about people being not nice around here. I think you misunderstand what I think this place is. If you want to look at it as a bar then go ahead. It's a sports forum's political board. I don't need a similie to define it.
    Last edited by FuzzyLumpkins; 01-28-2016 at 08:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeating my point on the irony and directing it at me instead is fun I guess.
    Wha? I was making a universal point that smeared the lot of us to dismiss the drama, you (or at least I understood you to be saying so) were dismissing a seemingly valid general point made by WH as a personal attack. Chill, dude -- nobody's attacking or gas-lighting you. Anyway, I'm going to follow my own advice and step out before I'm accused of worse. Cheerio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you are making is some slippery slope initiation scenario and that doesn't make sense. The GOP dixiecrat types have been doing that since the Civil War.
    If you're going to make such a statement, you should unpack it to explain what you're on about. But don't bother on this count, because I'm getting the impression you just want to be pissed at somebody, regardless of where they stand. Saludos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wha? I was making a universal point that smeared the lot of us to dismiss the drama, you (or at least I understood you to be saying so) were dismissing a seemingly valid general point made by WH as a personal attack. Chill, dude -- nobody's attacking or gas-lighting you. Anyway, I'm going to follow my own advice and step out before I'm accused of worse. Cheerio.
    If you want to act obtuse to what I said about the back and forth prior to this then go ahead. I'm not angry at anyone. Quit projecting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're going to make such a statement, you should unpack it to explain what you're on about. But don't bother on this count, because I'm getting the impression you just want to be pissed at somebody, regardless of where they stand. Saludos.
    Unpack what? The tactics of the southern dems who came over to the GOP with Nixon?

You are the one making the claim anyway. I just pointed out that this type of thing has been going on for centuries. I don't need to unpack anything when you have not addressed anything directly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this is just rich. I get lectured about how everyone here is an adversarial jerk as its a political forum and how I should not take it personally.

When I say that he had recently called me a pompous ass and that is my entire point to begin with you act incredulous get mad and then tell me I am unreasonable?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Thread Information