Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. I wasn't the biggest Bertans fan. Sure, Luka hasn't shown much but give him minutes (provided he's learned how to rotate on defense) and he'll show quickly how much more valuable he is than a guy who just gets hot from the 3 point line.
    Bertans was one dimensional but useful and probably underutilized on the Spurs. I think we’re basically agreeing. Let’s hope Luka puts it together. But he hasn’t done it yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing that stood out in the limited times I saw him in Austin, was his defence was pretty good (switching, foot speed). Seems like he could start with a simplified offensive role now & keep developing other facets over time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doing more doesn't make you better, and Bertans is also a decent floor-runner and shot-blocker. Dude has legit athleticism, and that's after tearing up his knee multiple times.
    Bertans worked really hard to come back from those injuries too and despite his flaws he always looked engaged and competing.

anyway, this is about Samanic. I am glad Samanic is developing his body. That’s a good sign. It shows the right at ude and he came in really young, he had to grow into his body (perspective). I don’t expect him to play more next season than Walker in his second season, so I am not going to get expectations up the whazoo. That’s recipe for frustration when Pop benches him.

I would just like to see his at ude and compe ive spirit develop. The mental aspect probably needs time. Learning plays, staying engaged even if he’s not getting featured, not drifting lazily on defense, hustling, etc
    Last edited by SAGirl; 11-02-2020 at 02:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This page has a lot of good positive points. That’s very rare on this site. Lol.

I honestly think if he can’t get rotation minutes (doesn’t have to be heavy, just gets to consistently play) this season then he never will under Pop. He has a way to go for him to be a 6th man or starter but with the talent that’s currently on this roster he should definitely get a little run

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans worked really hard to come back from those injuries too and despite his flaws he always looked engaged and competing.

anyway, this is about Samanic. I am glad Samanic is developing his body. That’s a good sign. It shows the right at ude and he came in really young, he had to grow into his body (perspective). I don’t expect him to play more next season than Walker in his second season, so I am not going to get expectations up the whazoo. That’s recipe for frustration when Pop benches him.

I would just like to see his at ude and compe ive spirit develop. The mental aspect probably needs time. Learning plays, staying engaged even if he’s not getting featured, not drifting lazily on defense, hustling, etc
    I really, really hope Pop doesn't treat Luka the way he (mis)treated Lonnie. Pop being a HoF coach and proven methods and all that jazz aside - putting a player in the doghouse doesn't work for developing every youngster, many times having the opposite effect. Lonnie did not get consistent minutes, not even game-to-game, didn't get a clear role beyond "stand on the corner and wait for a pass", wasn't really "coached" on the court beyond getting pulled after his first missed defensive assignment. I especially remember a couple videos of Lonnie getting pulled, and sulking towards the bench with a dejected look on his face, and then have Coach Patty try to cheer him up on the sidelines. I'm not sure that's the best way to develop a player, and certainly not for someone like Samanic.

But otherwise yeah, here's to hoping he can develop and at least show some flashes, a semblance of greatness beyond career role-player (or even NBA player). His man-to-man defense looked improved in the bubble, but young guys always struggle with zones, so we'll see how far his mental game has developed as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really, really hope Pop doesn't treat Luka the way he (mis)treated Lonnie. Pop being a HoF coach and proven methods and all that jazz aside - putting a player in the doghouse doesn't work for developing every youngster, many times having the opposite effect. Lonnie did not get consistent minutes, not even game-to-game, didn't get a clear role beyond "stand on the corner and wait for a pass", wasn't really "coached" on the court beyond getting pulled after his first missed defensive assignment. I especially remember a couple videos of Lonnie getting pulled, and sulking towards the bench with a dejected look on his face, and then have Coach Patty try to cheer him up on the sidelines. I'm not sure that's the best way to develop a player, and certainly not for someone like Samanic.

But otherwise yeah, here's to hoping he can develop and at least show some flashes, a semblance of greatness beyond career role-player (or even NBA player). His man-to-man defense looked improved in the bubble, but young guys always struggle with zones, so we'll see how far his mental game has developed as well.
    I'm not sure it didn't work. The Lonnie at the beginning at the season is much different than the one later and in the bubble. He's much more controlled and isn't going at one speed all the time. He makes way better decisions. I think the short leash woke him the up from looking to be a human highlight reel vs one who knows how to play in a team concept. I think he's been spoiled all his life by people telling him he's a good basketball player because he can dunk.

But again, you and I are commonly on the opposite ends when it comes to Lonnie lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all that said, I do agree the method should be different for Luka. He seems like he has a fragile ego whereas with Lonnie, he was open to being pushed the way he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure it didn't work. The Lonnie at the beginning at the season is much different than the one later and in the bubble. He's much more controlled and isn't going at one speed all the time. He makes way better decisions. I think the short leash woke him the up from looking to be a human highlight reel vs one who knows how to play in a team concept. I think he's been spoiled all his life by people telling him he's a good basketball player because he can dunk.

But again, you and I are commonly on the opposite ends when it comes to Lonnie lol
    Haha, we can agree to disagree for sure, and it's mostly a wash either way since we fans don't really know all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. There's a lot of levels to coaching beyond on-court X and O's.

I can see the angle on Pop bringing Lonnie "back down to Earth", so to speak. He just never looked like the kind of player that would need that, to that extreme of being shut into the doghouse, not even on his G-League days - and to me he could've really used a little bit of focus or spotlight, at least on a couple games (beyond the famous Rockets game, and we all saw the results of that). Of course, he's not gonna be dropping 28 every night Pop calls a couple plays for him - but there's just as much value in learning how to play within an offense as a "cog in the machine", as in learning how to play as the focus of one, especially in regards to getting used to being heavily guarded/pickpocketed/double-teamed or even triple-teamed, passing out of those instances, handling the pressure especially in late game, and so forth. I don't discard that Pop might have it in his plans to teach Lonnie those things in the future, but the matter of fact is that he actively avoided doing it this season, and it was kind of weird (especially because Lonnie's body language at times reflected the same confusion that we fans had about his role).

Agree that he looked way better, especially decision-making-wise, in the bubble, but again there's not much of a way to tell how much of that is Pop's "coaching" and how much is Lonnie being a regular 21yo and maturing and learning the game on a deeper level. I will say, whatever they did to him (or he did to himself) pre-bubble, let's hope they keep at it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From his IG story today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to let it fly. And don’t pay attention to what that old says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UTEP? What's he doing in Covid Country?

Edit. Nvm. My badness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From his IG story today

Almost had a heart attack seeing those UTEP banners behind the basket.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dam that place is blazing with Covid - Be safe Luka

Af far as his playing time I would love it if he could get 5 to 10 minutes a game because I think he is one of those players that needs to be engaged all the time. And yeah Poop can really a rookie mind set just ask Sean Elliott about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dam that place is blazing with Covid - Be safe Luka

Af far as his playing time I would love it if he could get 5 to 10 minutes a game because I think he is one of those players that needs to be engaged all the time. And yeah Poop can really a rookie mind set just ask Sean Elliott about that.
    Looks like its UTSA here in San Antonio not UTEP despite the banner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like its UTSA here in San Antonio not UTEP despite the banner
    I did eventually see the UTSA STUFF. El Paso should be the last place you’d want to be in the US, but certainly the last place in TX you’d want to be. Maybe South Dakovid is worse, but that’s debatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did eventually see the UTSA STUFF. El Paso should be the last place you’d want to be in the US, but certainly the last place in TX you’d want to be. Maybe South Dakovid is worse, but that’s debatable.
    I unfortunately live in El Paso and my wife works the front line at a hospital.
    It's horrible.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His frame looks stronger. That’s good.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I unfortunately live in El Paso and my wife works the front line at a hospital.
    It's horrible.
    Be safe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do our best.
    It's a worry every single day. Absolutely stinks.
    My wife is 1st generation Mexican-American and she is entirely upset at her family planning a Thanksgiving get-together.

She told them it's an insult to her and every hospital worker.
    Suffice it to say, we're not going, lol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do our best.
    It's a worry every single day. Absolutely stinks.
    My wife is 1st generation Mexican-American and she is entirely upset at her family planning a Thanksgiving get-together.

She told them it's an insult to her and every hospital worker.
    Suffice it to say, we're not going, lol.
    God bless!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, El Paso has gotten much better over the last 5-10 years. Downtown has started developing and lots of new shops and restaurants have come in. It's far from the worst place you could be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^He's obviously speaking to it being a COVID hotspot.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    can't wait til they ship out LMA and we have the Twink Towers starting at PF/C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^He's obviously speaking to it being a COVID hotspot.
    And is insane here. No doubt about it.
    I have horror stories from .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And is insane here. No doubt about it.
    I have horror stories from .
    You should tell tholdren in the political forum. He laughs at covid deaths every day claiming no hospital anywhere was ever overwhelmed due to COVID. Worst poster on this forum. Used to post up here telling everyone no NBA player has any skill and the 3pt line ruined basketball.

I lost a cousin and coworker/friend myself.

Thread Information