Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The key is Forbes came off the bench and was used the way most of Spurstalk was begging Pop to do. Using Forbes against first string talent always has and always will be a recipe for disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much for the all genius that said that Forbes isn't even an NBA player after last season. Dude's on first and had a great season.
    I don’t think posters here ever had a problem with his shooting, he’s just an absolute ING TURNSTILE on defense, and i don’t imagine that has changed. He was also misused as a starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hated this interchangeability being spouted when Forbes was here.

Unlike Mills, Forbes doesn't:

- Handle the ball
    - Make plays
    - Play defense even a little
    - Not foul three shooters
    - Be a leader on the floor
    - Wave towels on the bench
    I would offer Patty shouldn't handle the ball that much, play much defense, etc... The thing Patty effectively brings to the table is veteran leadership. I am looking for someone to fill that Steve Kerr/Jaren Jackson type role in limited minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes putting in the same numbers from the bench with higher field goal percentage. Anybody took economics? The law of diminishing returns. And should be the same for Patty. They are at best as bench players, not starter minutes.

Career stats

Year

Team

GP
    Min Pts
    FG%
    Reb
    Ast
    MIL

SAS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should be surprised, Forbes has potential to go off from deep here and there. He is now playing a role off the bench for an elite defensive team with 3 all-star level players, one of which being an MVP level player. Of course he is excelling in his role. Spurs were forcing him to start on a bad team and play heavy minutes with a large role. While I've always dislike Forbes and his fake hustle, it's 100% Pop's fault for forcing him into a role he had no business being in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s always stubbornly trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should be surprised, Forbes has potential to go off from deep here and there. He is now playing a role off the bench for an elite defensive team with 3 all-star level players, one of which being an MVP level player. Of course he is excelling in his role. Spurs were forcing him to start on a bad team and play heavy minutes with a large role. While I've always dislike Forbes and his fake hustle, it's 100% Pop's fault for forcing him into a role he had no business being in
    Agreed. Forbes was the low hanging fruit on a tree without a lot of fruit.

I'm glad he's gone, but he never should have been forced into that position in the first place.

Also, Spurs don't have the gravity of a Giannis and Middleton....instead, they had an aging Aldridge and DeRozan. I haven't watched a lot of Bucks basketball, but I have to think he is getting a lot of looks that he never got in S.A.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The key is Forbes came off the bench and was used the way most of Spurstalk was begging Pop to do. Using Forbes against first string talent always has and always will be a recipe for disaster.
    That Mills-Forbes backcourt sounds awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs got rid of him and got 10 games better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If all you're depending on Bryn for is to knock down threes coming off the bench, surrounded by more capable defenders, he's great in that role. We just asked too much of him here. Ditto for Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s always stubbornly trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
    Not true. Pop is forced with the personnel that Spurs have. Spurs have been known for role players, who stay with their roles, and thrived in them. Unfortunately, the lack of talent have forced Pop to give Forbes starter minutes to open lanes for Demar/Aldridge. Patty became a facilitator because of DJ/White injuries. Spurs actually remain to have good/excellent bench and role players. What Spurs have been missing is the franchise/go-to-guy which Demar/Aldridge have not delivered, and had negative effect on the role players who cannot thrive on their specialty roles and instead forced outside of their character.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true. Pop is forced with the personnel that Spurs have. Spurs have been known for role players, who stay with their roles, and thrived in them. Unfortunately, the lack of talent have forced Pop to give Forbes starter minutes to open lanes for Demar/Aldridge. Patty became a facilitator because of DJ/White injuries. Spurs actually remain to have good/excellent bench and role players. What Spurs have been missing is the franchise/go-to-guy which Demar/Aldridge have not delivered, and had negative effect on the role players who cannot thrive on their specialty roles and instead forced outside of their character.
    Pop is the President of Basketball Operations. The roster construction and archaic style are ultimately his fault, especially considering this has been an increasing problem since '15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s awful when he’s not on a team full of great players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is the President of Basketball Operations. The roster construction and archaic style are ultimately his fault, especially considering this has been an increasing problem since '15.
    Whether Pop had significant say on the composition of the team, I don't know. By the end of the day, Spurs got Demar and Aldridge together, whose type of game do not compliment with each other against today's NBA. exacerbated by injuries to DJ/White/Lonnie, losing Bertrans. And Pop had to juggle with his personnel to make it work is my point. But historically Spurs players stay with their character, that's what this team has been good at forever. It's been bad judgement and unlucky for the PATFO the last 4-5 years, no thanks to Kawhi. But Spurs have had good fortune forever, only missing 6 playoffs ever?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Pop had significant say on the composition of the team, I don't know. By the end of the day, Spurs got Demar and Aldridge together, whose type of game do not compliment with each other against today's NBA. exacerbated by injuries to DJ/White/Lonnie, losing Bertrans. And Pop had to juggle with his personnel to make it work is my point. But historically Spurs players stay with their character, that's what this team has been good at forever. It's been bad judgement and unlucky for the PATFO the last 4-5 years, no thanks to Kawhi. But Spurs have had good fortune forever, only missing 6 playoffs ever?
    President of basketball operations is above the GM. I have no doubt Wright has done most of the leg work in recent years and before that obviously Buford, but in the end Pop has the final say.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-28-2021 at 05:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeVincenzo out for the rest of the playoffs with a torn ligament. Forbes & co about to pick up some more minutes...

Thread Information