Page 66 of 110 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2741
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much speculation in here with so few facts to go on. Remember just to days ago half the board was thinking “suicide attempt.” Just let it play out a bit maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much speculation in here with so few facts to go on. Remember just to days ago half the board was thinking “suicide attempt.” Just let it play out a bit maybe?
    It has a played out a little bit and we now know Primo's was out in peoples faces. Dont know what you expect from people but that is simply unacceptable.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In retrospect, prophetic Ted Talk video by Hillary Cauthen.

“The Toxicity of Sports Culture on Athletes’ Mental Health”.

https://youtu.be/UzTP3f_6coA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "At the conference, Tony Buzbee will discuss allegations made by Dr. Cauthen and others against NBA player Josh Primo, the events that precipitated the release of Primo, the veracity of recent public statements made by both the Spurs organization and Primo, interactions with individuals within the San Antonio Spurs organization, and the expected path forward. Dr. Cauthen will be present to make a public statement and answer pertinent questions."

This sounds like Buzbee wanted $20 million and the Spurs countered with $2 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has a played out a little bit and we now know Primo's was out in peoples faces. Dont know what you expect from people but that is simply unacceptable.
    Agree that it is unacceptable.
    I'm referring to the several pages of posts speculating about what the Spurs knew and when they knew it and drawing up elaborate scenarios about it
    We'll know the allegations from Buzbee soon enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo's actions are inexcusable. But forgive me if I'm skeptic of someone who makes a living treating maladjusted individuals being badly traumatized (barring physical assault) by witnessing Primo's weenie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I peg this as $3 to $5 at most. The league is going to step in unless there is someone they can hang their culpability on. I dont see any successful avenue to get over $10 unless there are really bad emails

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know most people know Buzzbee from his Watson , but I know him as a regent for TAMU. Dude is a piece of . I hate that he's been a go to for these cases, because nothing about this dude is anything short of slimy.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the media advisory, a few things are clear to me. 1) this lawsuit has been percolating for a while and Buzbee and his client already tried negotiating with the Spurs (the primary defendant due to financial reasons) and the Spurs were either a) not taking it seriously by providing low ball settlement offers or b) non-responsive. I see almost no universe by which the Spurs has no advanced knowledge of what happened based on how things are proceeding.

2) The purpose of this press call is to drub up enough media controversy to make the settlement much bigger, and the Spurs are being stupid for not just making a generous enough offer now to stop the bleeding. In 99% of cases like this the plaintiff would prefer not to go to court. If I had to guess, based on nothing other than what’s presented, the biggest question is how far up the food chain this goes and how many executives get dragged in to it. I think RC Buford is probably fine because he was the author of the quote in the press statement. Brian Wright is probably caught up in this, but I sadly think Pop is as well, depending on how the plaintiff’s complaints were filed internally. I would be shocked if she didn’t have good do entation on dates and times to demonstrate workplace discrimination here.

Sometimes these things just get as far as the organization’s general counsel, but I would be shocked if that was the case here given it was a contractor/consultant.

There's zero chance Pop didn't know about this. None. He rules the organization with an iron fist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "At the conference, Tony Buzbee will discuss allegations made by Dr. Cauthen and others against NBA player Josh Primo, the events that precipitated the release of Primo, the veracity of recent public statements made by both the Spurs organization and Primo, interactions with individuals within the San Antonio Spurs organization, and the expected path forward. Dr. Cauthen will be present to make a public statement and answer pertinent questions."

This sounds like Buzbee wanted $20 million and the Spurs countered with $2 million.
    I think it's possible this press conference works out for the Spurs. Imagine if the Spurs had waived Primo, the media found out about the flashing and that the Spurs paid off a former employee prior to getting rid of Primo. That would make the Spurs seem guilty of trying to cover up what Primo did. If this press conference gives a more nuanced where the organization and the accuser had both had input into the process and parted ways with mutual respect, and THEN the Spurs settle, it makes it seem more like the Spurs are being honest but are just trying to avoid a long legal battle. It might also mitigate any additional lawsuits that Primo may face.

Of course, it might come out that the Spurs did know about Primo's accusations before drafting him or in the very least that the psychologist learned of that and informed them. That could be part of the HIPAA concerns referenced. Then when she was on the receiving end of Primo's flash cannon, she informed the Spurs, told them he was going to be a reoffender and might even escalate without intervention, and they basically tried to find a way to "fix" the issue without bringing bad press on their player. That could be because of the reputation it to folks like Wright and which scouts was responsible for grading and checking out Primo. Rather than mutual respect, the psychologist and organization would've parted ways with the looming legal action hanging over them. In that scenario, they definitely should've ponied up the money, and there's a good chance they'll be tied into additional suits levied against Primo, since they would've known what he did, gotten professional advice on how to handle it, ignored that advice and put someone else serving their team at risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know most people know Buzzbee from his Watson , but I know him as a regent for TAMU. Dude is a piece of . I hate that he's been a go to for these cases, because nothing about this dude is anything short of slimy.
    He could have offered RC some advice on how to handle a drunk driving conviction

Really wish someone else was representing these women

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The veracity of public statements by the Spurs organization"...

The only public statements made by the Spurs on Primo were 1) He had a glute injury, 2) He was waived and this was best for him and the organization in the long run and 3) They had nothing more to add than what they said in the statement on his being waived.

So if the question is about "veracity" - Only 1) should be under question (and that is also easily proven by his fall in his previous game)..

2) and 3) have nothing objectionable that their "veracity" will be questioned.

Am I missing anything here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's zero chance Pop didn't know about this. None. He rules the organization with an iron fist.
    Eh. Pop of 20 years ago, yeah. Modern day Pop does almost no front office work. He'll go to dinner with a couple draft prospects each year but that's about it these days.

He might have been told of Primo's issues but far from certain, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's possible this press conference works out for the Spurs. Imagine if the Spurs had waived Primo, the media found out about the flashing and that the Spurs paid off a former employee prior to getting rid of Primo. That would make the Spurs seem guilty of trying to cover up what Primo did. If this press conference gives a more nuanced where the organization and the accuser had both had input into the process and parted ways with mutual respect, and THEN the Spurs settle, it makes it seem more like the Spurs are being honest but are just trying to avoid a long legal battle. It might also mitigate any additional lawsuits that Primo may face.

Of course, it might come out that the Spurs did know about Primo's accusations before drafting him or in the very least that the psychologist learned of that and informed them. That could be part of the HIPAA concerns referenced. Then when she was on the receiving end of Primo's flash cannon, she informed the Spurs, told them he was going to be a reoffender and might even escalate without intervention, and they basically tried to find a way to "fix" the issue without bringing bad press on their player. That could be because of the reputation it to folks like Wright and which scouts was responsible for grading and checking out Primo. Rather than mutual respect, the psychologist and organization would've parted ways with the looming legal action hanging over them. In that scenario, they definitely should've ponied up the money, and there's a good chance they'll be tied into additional suits levied against Primo, since they would've known what he did, gotten professional advice on how to handle it, ignored that advice and put someone else serving their team at risk.
    I don’t see the press conference as any sort of fact finding mission. Seems like pure leverage to force the Spurs into settling to avoid bad PR. But it depends if the Spurs also play to the media to tell their side. But they never do that so I could see a settlement before Thursday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's possible this press conference works out for the Spurs.
    That's not how Buzbee operates. And Buzbee's press release was a threat. A somewhat vieled threat -- but a threat nonetheless.

There's a number that would make this all go away. So far, the Spurs obviously aren't ready to pay it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't know if he has any Avenatti slime about him, but I would've felt more comfortable with a lawyer who wasn't involved in that Watson circus. It feels less like it's going to be about truth and accountability and more about leverage and public opinion. There are a lot cultural, philosophical and legal discussion points that we (as in the folks who aren't part of this suit) are going to take from this. It touches on a lot of important questions and debates (women's issues, toxic masculinity, work-place harassment, mental-healthcare, sexual expression, sexual abuse). But that's all going to get shat on by the drama of it. And I'm not even sure if that lawyer can be said to get results. I don't know that the Watson case was a win for them. Most of the suits got dropped, the team was able to slip out from underneath their obligation relatively easily. The Spurs are certainly a weaker target than the Texans, but I also don't necessarily think they're guaranteed to have that strong of a legal case. Even these teasers we're getting don't really seem to hint at them accusing the Spurs of much. Maybe they're holding back still hoping for a settlement? Maybe. As I said, a press conference that comes out not really blaming the Spurs for much before the two sides settle out of court is the best-case scenario for the team right now. In terms of leverage, preserving that option makes sense for both sides.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The veracity of public statements by the Spurs organization"...

The only public statements made by the Spurs on Primo were 1) He had a glute injury, 2) He was waived and this was best for him and the organization in the long run and 3) They had nothing more to add than what they said in the statement on his being waived.

So if the question is about "veracity" - Only 1) should be under question (and that is also easily proven by his fall in his previous game)..

2) and 3) have nothing objectionable that their "veracity" will be questioned.

Am I missing anything here?
    "The veracity of public statements by the Spurs organization" = Buzbee saying he's going to air alllllllllll the dirt laundry. Who knows what he has but he could be going all the way back to the Spurs praising Primo when they picked him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how Buzbee operates. And Buzbee's press release was a threat. A somewhat vieled threat -- but a threat nonetheless.

There's a number that would make this all go away. So far, the Spurs obviously aren't ready to pay it.
    I get that it's a threat. What I'm saying is that it's beneficial for the Spurs if the press conference doesn't shed blame on them -- more beneficial than not having a press conference because a settlement is reached. So it's possible that the press conference more covers what Primo did, avoids getting too much into what the Spurs did, and then the sides settle. That way, the Spurs look like they're not hiding anything but also don't look like they paid them to say good things about the Spurs. If the Spurs just cave and give them the money, it's basically them admitting that the conference would reveal damaging information about them -- which is might not. Sure, it can be worth it to quash this even if they would clearly win in court, but public opinion tends not to go there. Unless the Spurs are guilty as sin, they have to let the press conference happen at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see the press conference as any sort of fact finding mission. Seems like pure leverage to force the Spurs into settling to avoid bad PR. But it depends if the Spurs also play to the media to tell their side. But they never do that so I could see a settlement before Thursday.
    With a normal accuser, I'd agree. But I do feel like this is such a different situation than if we were talking about a trainer that this story is going to be more complicated. Maybe it's a pure money grab, but for someone who studies these types of things to the point where she speaks about it, it's very possible that her goal is to take a few million then never have a career again. It feels more in her long-term interest to incorporate this experience into her future work, which would be harder to do if she's under a settlement agreement. Though it's not clear how the suit against Primo, which would likely continue even if the Spurs settle will work if she can't talk about a lot of the Spurs parts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a normal accuser, I'd agree. But I do feel like this is such a different situation than if we were talking about a trainer that this story is going to be more complicated. Maybe it's a pure money grab, but for someone who studies these types of things to the point where she speaks about it, it's very possible that her goal is to take a few million then never have a career again. It feels more in her long-term interest to incorporate this experience into her future work, which would be harder to do if she's under a settlement agreement. Though it's not clear how the suit against Primo, which would likely continue even if the Spurs settle will work if she can't talk about a lot of the Spurs parts.
    Her Ted Talk presents a sincere person. But hiring this lawyer in particular suggests a different path. The press conference seems like a money grab, as in why have it, why make it so many days in advance, and if the conference isn’t canceled due to a settlement, then I will be curious to see how she handles the situation.

If they make it to the press conference, it’s also possible the Spurs did nothing wrong and have already weathered the storm and will have their day in court.

So many possibilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her Ted Talk presents a sincere person. But hiring this lawyer in particular suggests a different path. The press conference seems like a money grab, as in why have it, why make it so many days in advance, and if the conference isn’t canceled due to a settlement, then I will be curious to see how she handles the situation.

If they make it to the press conference, it’s also possible the Spurs did nothing wrong and have already weathered the storm and will have their day in court.

So many possibilities.
    Exactly. If the Spurs know they're on the hook for some shady , then it's in their best interest to not let the press conference go out. But at this point, them quashing it would mean a legit PR hit -- one that to my knowledge they aren't feeling right now. I think most fans of other teams assume the Spurs probably handled the situation correct. But once they start settling under threat of a press conference, it becomes real smoked centered on them. So if the Spurs could influence things toward a specific scenario, it would be one where the press conference happens and they say they are blaming Primo and that they don't hold the Spurs at fault for what happened. That basically closes the issue for the team before the assumption of innocence the wider public has given the Spurs is jeopardized. It's also possible the two sides are antagonistic but that the Spurs honestly confident they didn't do anything wrong. Then we aren't likely going to see credible accusations come across. We'll see them try to drag the Spurs into this but not really have anything of substance, in which case the public opinion would probably not shift that much. Remember we still live in a world where folks will look for an excuse to discredit a woman on issues like this. Even though she is obviously credible, as you mentioned, hiring this lawyer wasn't a good look in that regard.

If the Spurs let this press conference go forward, and they level credible accusations directly at the Spurs, it's a good sign they've lost the plot. That or the sum Buzbee was asking for is absurd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that it's a threat. What I'm saying is that it's beneficial for the Spurs if the press conference doesn't shed blame on them -- more beneficial than not having a press conference because a settlement is reached. So it's possible that the press conference more covers what Primo did, avoids getting too much into what the Spurs did, and then the sides settle. That way, the Spurs look like they're not hiding anything but also don't look like they paid them to say good things about the Spurs. If the Spurs just cave and give them the money, it's basically them admitting that the conference would reveal damaging information about them -- which is might not. Sure, it can be worth it to quash this even if they would clearly win in court, but public opinion tends not to go there. Unless the Spurs are guilty as sin, they have to let the press conference happen at this point.
    You don't understand how plaintiffs lawyers think. There are two defendants, so two potential pots of money: 1) Primo, 2) the Spurs. Primo is ostensibly being paid around 4MM this year and 4MM next as part of his extension. So let's say its about 4.5MM after taxes. He can likely shelter a good chunk of that remaining amount, so let's say he'll have about 1.75MM in free funds that could be used to satisfy a judgment. 40% of that is approximately $700,000. The Spurs likely have insurance, have considerably more than $8MM in assets and can't shelter those funds the same way an individual can.

So tell me, why on earth would a high profile plaintiffs attorney actively sever their ability to go after a very deep pocket in favor of a fee that, best case, would contain absolutely no premium? Especially in a high exposure case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, what incentive do the Spurs have in settling after the press conference? That's a leverage point to induce a defendant to settle beforehand, so all the dirty laundry doesn't get aired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The settlement horse has left the barn, for now. You don’t go announce a press conference to force a settlement, because at that point damage has already been done and your leverage is partially negated. Your best positions to get the best settlements are 1) before it goes public 2) when it is clear your going to get hammered in a trial.

Either the Spurs feel confident in their position, or Buzbee’s demands are astronomical, or the spurs are idiots caught up in their own hubris

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yes, Tony Buzbee is an Avanetti-level slimeball. Check out his run for office a few years ago

Thread Information