Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Numbers
    By Scott Galindez
    Saturday 24 September 2005 11:08 PM

It is safe to say that there were hundreds of thousands of people marching against the war in Iraq today. Police Chief Charles Ramsey's only statement was that the organizers achieved their goal of 100,000. The DC police refused to make any other estimate. C-SPAN estimated 500,000, a number that I believe was possible from my observations. I was on the corner of Pennsylvania and 15th on the steps of Riggs bank when the march began. People were still arriving from all directions. The massive amount of people moving in all directions prevented a front of the march from forming. People just started marching on their own with no marshals anywhere near the front of the march. Thousands of people passed me before any organized contingent. The first major contingent that passed me were thousands of students with signs that said, "college not enlistment." Thousands of people later I finally saw what was intended to be the lead banner. I saw Congresswomen Lynn Woosley, and Barbara Lee, the Reverend Al Sharpton and other dignitaries carrying that banner.

Thousands of people behind that came the Iraq Veterans Against the War. Joan Baez was marching with them right next to Marine Jeff Key and dozens of other veterans of the Iraq war. Behind them was Gold Star Families for Peace. About half a block later came Veterans for Peace, with Military Families Speak Out a short distance behind them. At the time I assumed that they were in the middle of the march. I later found out that while they were not near the front they were much further from the rear.

I moved down to Pennsylvania and 13th to catch the front again and noticed for hours that there were still people heading up 15th Street. I headed to the concert at 4:30 pm, 4 hours after the march began and people were still marching past the White House, only 4 blocks from the march's starting point.

To summarize, it took over 4 hours for people clear out of the ellipse area. I have been to several large marches in Washington, DC, since 1989 and this was by far the largest.
    Many, Many more photo's of the Cindy Sheehan sponsored anti-war rally held in Washington DC yesterday. Here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jeb Eddy joins thousands of demonstrators to protest the war in Iraq on Saturday. Associated Press photo by Noah Berger

more photos at: San Francisco Gate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, on the other side of town..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... lol

Anti-War Demonstrators March on Washington
    By JENNIFER C. KERR
    The Associated Press
    Sunday, September 25, 2005; 1:17 AM

WASHINGTON -- Crowds opposed to the war in Iraq surged past the White House on Saturday, shouting "Peace now" in the largest anti-war protest in the nation's capital since the U.S. invasion.

The rally stretched through the day and into the night, a marathon of music, speechmaking and dissent on the National Mall. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey, noting that organizers had hoped to draw 100,000 people, said, "I think they probably hit that."

Speakers from the stage attacked President Bush's policies head on, but he was not at the White House to hear it. He spent the day in Colorado and Texas, monitoring hurricane recovery.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    500,000 my ass.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Numbers
    By Scott Galindez
    Saturday 24 September 2005 11:08 PM

Many, Many more photo's of the Cindy Sheehan sponsored anti-war rally held in Washington DC yesterday. Here
    Don't you mean anti-American war rally?

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how many causes were squeezed into this protest.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

Jeb Eddy joins thousands of demonstrators to protest the war in Iraq on Saturday. Associated Press photo by Noah Berger

more photos at: San Francisco Gate

That's James Garner! What the ....!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how many causes were squeezed into this protest.

Now you know where all the communist went after the fall of communist Russia. Green Peace, old Viet Nam protestors who want the past back, people for progress (whoever they are). The homeless looking for something, Someone looking to get laid, make love not war. I loved one picture of one of Cindy's handlers, had her Bra on the outside of her shirt...LOL. You name them, they were there. I am sure Phil Baby was there. But funny, I didn't see any of the Dimm-o-crap Pols names mentioned......very strange, do they know something our tin-hat friend doesn't know?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice rally... looks like they had fun...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who says I been photoshoppin' badly?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    An infamous quote from da rev sharpton at the event "George Bush, you need to know that broken levees are weapons of mass destruction".

and taken from the Toledo Blade newspaper account;
    "The emotional highlight of the event on the Ellipse came with the arrival of Cindy Sheehan"...

Also "almost no members of congress attended the event".

nuff said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whoever built that chump thing.. it was only like 1 foot of crete... DAMIIT IT's ALL about the C R E T E!!! make it 30 foot thick with rebar and 30 foot tall...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you oppose the war, you are Anti-American. Everybody knows that!

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    When war protests become circuses that amount to nothing more than political grandstanding with the exploitation of our soldiers deaths for political expediency's sake, it's time to protest the protests.

No one (I hope) is for our soldiers losing their lives but most are for the fight against terrorism. The majority protesting now are terrorist-sympathizing, bush-hating pacifists who don't understand the mentality of the terrorists (kill Americans, Israeli's, freedom seeking Islamists, etc) or they do understand and don't care. Both ways of thinking exude pure unadulterated ignorance.

Terrorism will not wane by the U.S. abandoning the fight against it or by abandoning the Iraqi's in their quest for freedom from tyrannical governing bodies and the mindless extremist insurgents.

For those that haven't noticed it's evolved into a theatre of battle against the terrorists, why are they protesting that?

There is no meeting of minds, no point of understanding with such terror. Just a choice: Defeat it or be defeated by it. And defeat it we must.
    Tony Blair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but look at all these countries that haven't invaded iraq!

damn al qeda dirty-bombed the out of them
    yeah terrorist have never attacked other countries pre-911 .. lmfao..

Terrorist Attacks
    (within the United States or against Americans abroad)

Sept. 16, New York City: TNT bomb planted in unattended horse-drawn wagon exploded on Wall Street opposite House of Morgan, killing 35 people and injuring hundreds more. Bolshevist or anarchist terrorists believed responsible, but crime never solved.

Jan. 24, New York City: bomb set off in historic Fraunces Tavern killed 4 and injured more than 50 people. Puerto Rican nationalist group (FALN) claimed responsibility, and police tied 13 other bombings to the group.

Nov. 4, Tehran, Iran: Iranian radical students seized the U.S. embassy, taking 66 hostages. 14 were later released. The remaining 52 were freed after 444 days on the day of President Reagan's inauguration.

1982–1991
    Lebanon: Thirty US and other Western hostages kidnapped in Lebanon by Hezbollah. Some were killed, some died in captivity, and some were eventually released. Terry Anderson was held for 2,454 days.

April 18, Beirut, Lebanon: U.S. embassy destroyed in suicide car-bomb attack; 63 dead, including 17 Americans. The Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.
    Oct. 23, Beirut, Lebanon: Shiite suicide bombers exploded truck near U.S. military barracks at Beirut airport, killing 241 Marines. Minutes later a second bomb killed 58 French paratroopers in their barracks in West Beirut.
    Dec. 12, Kuwait City, Kuwait Shiite truck bombers attacked the U.S. embassy and other targets, killing 5 and injuring 80.

Sept. 20, east Beirut, Lebanon: truck bomb exploded outside the U.S. embassy annex, killing 24, including 2 U.S. military.
    Dec. 3, Beirut, Lebanon: Kuwait Airways Flight 221, from Kuwait to Pakistan, hijacked and diverted to Tehran. 2 Americans killed.

April 12, Madrid, Spain: Bombing at restaurant frequented by U.S. soldiers, killed 18 Spaniards and injured 82.
    June 14, Beirut, Lebanon: TWA Flight 847 en route from Athens to Rome hijacked to Beirut by Hezbollah terrorists and held for 17 days. A U.S. Navy diver executed.
    Oct. 7, Mediterranean Sea: gunmen attack Italian cruise ship, Achille Lauro. One U.S. tourist killed. Hijacking linked to Libya.
    Dec. 18, Rome, Italy, and Vienna, Austria: airports in Rome and Vienna were bombed, killing 20 people, 5 of whom were Americans. Bombing linked to Libya.

April 2, Athens, Greece:A bomb exploded aboard TWA flight 840 en route from Rome to Athens, killing 4 Americans and injuring 9.
    April 5, West Berlin, Germany: Libyans bombed a disco frequented by U.S. servicemen, killing 2 and injuring hundreds.

Dec. 21, Lockerbie, Scotland: N.Y.-bound Pan-Am Boeing 747 exploded in flight from a terrorist bomb and crashed into Scottish village, killing all 259 aboard and 11 on the ground. Passengers included 35 Syracuse University students and many U.S. military personnel. Libya formally admitted responsibility 15 years later (Aug. 2003) and offered $2.7 billion compensation to victims' families.

Feb. 26, New York City: bomb exploded in basement garage of World Trade Center, killing 6 and injuring at least 1,040 others. In 1995, militant Islamist Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and 9 others were convicted of conspiracy charges, and in 1998, Ramzi Yousef, believed to have been the mastermind, was convicted of the bombing. Al-Qaeda involvement is suspected.

April 19, Oklahoma City: car bomb exploded outside federal office building, collapsing wall and floors. 168 people were killed, including 19 children and 1 person who died in rescue effort. Over 220 buildings sustained damage. Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols later convicted in the antigovernment plot to avenge the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Tex., exactly 2 years earlier. (See Miscellaneous Disasters.)
    Nov. 13, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: car bomb exploded at U.S. military headquarters, killing 5 U.S. military servicemen.

June 25, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia: truck bomb exploded outside Khobar Towers military complex, killing 19 American servicemen and injuring hundreds of others. 13 Saudis and a Lebanese, all alleged members of Islamic militant group Hezbollah, were indicted on charges relating to the attack in June 2001.

Aug. 7, Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: truck bombs exploded almost simultaneously near 2 U.S. embassies, killing 224 (213 in Kenya and 11 in Tanzania) and injuring about 4,500. 4 men connected with al-Qaeda 2 of whom had received training at al-Qaeda camps inside Afghanistan, were convicted of the killings in May 2001 and later sentenced to life in prison. A federal grand jury had indicted 22 men in connection with the attacks, including Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden, who remained at large.

Oct. 12, Aden, Yemen: U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole heavily damaged when a small boat loaded with explosives blew up alongside it. 17 sailors killed. Linked to Osama bin Laden, or members of al-Qaeda terrorist network.

Sept. 11, New York City, Arlington, Va., and Shanksville, Pa.: hijackers crashed 2 commercial jets into twin towers of World Trade Center; 2 more hijacked jets were crashed into the Pentagon and a field in rural Pa. Total dead and missing numbered 2,9921: 2,749 in New York City, 184 at the Pentagon, 40 in Pa., and 19 hijackers. Islamic al-Qaeda terrorist group blamed. (See September 11, 2001: Timeline of Terrorism.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    international incidents of terrorism pre 911

"Bloody Friday," July 21, 1972: An Irish Republican Army (IRA) bomb attacks killed eleven people and injure 130 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Ten days later, three IRA car bomb attacks in the village of Claudy left six dead.

Munich Olympic Massacre, September 5, 1972: Eight Palestinian "Black September" terrorists seized eleven Israeli athletes in the Olympic Village in Munich, West Germany. In a bungled rescue attempt by West German authorities, nine of the hostages and five terrorists were killed.

Attack and Hijacking at the Rome Airport, December 17, 1973: Five terrorists pulled weapons from their luggage in the terminal lounge at the Rome airport, killing two persons. They then attacked a Pan American 707 bound for Beirut and Tehran, destroying it with incendiary grenades and killing 29 persons, including 4 senior Moroccan officials and 14 American employees of ARAMCO. They then herded 5 Italian hostages into a Lufthansa airliner and killed an Italian customs agent as he tried to escape, after which they forced the pilot to fly to Beirut. After Lebanese authorities refused to let the plane land, it landed in Athens, where the terrorists demanded the release of 2 Arab terrorists. In order to make Greek authorities comply with their demands, the terrorists killed a hostage and threw his body onto the tarmac. The plane then flew to Damascus, where it stopped for two hours to obtain fuel and food. It then flew to Kuwait, where the terrorists released their hostages in return for passage to an unknown destination. The Palestine Liberation Organization disavowed the attack, and no group claimed responsibility for it.

Entebbe Hostage Crisis, June 27, 1976: Members of the Baader-Meinhof Group and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) seized an Air France airliner and its 258 passengers. They forced the plane to land in Uganda. On July 3 Israeli commandos successfully rescued the passengers.

but you can read about more here..

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/pubs/fs/5902.htm

just give me a f***ing clue history did not start when W took office....

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half a million people? There must be quite a few in the water there? GLUB GLUB...Gettin in touch with the refusees of NOLA, or should I say the Modern Day Atlantis.

Jacques Chirac is probably thrilled at the historic sale! What a $15M investment the Frogs made 200 yrs ago...

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the emotional leader of your protest nest is escaped mental patient Cindy Sheehan, you've got problems.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    washingtonpost.com

Praise, Anger at Pro-War Rally in D.C.

By ELISABETH GOODRIDGE

The Associated Press
    Sunday, September 25, 2005; 2:32 PM

WASHINGTON -- Support for U.S. troops fighting abroad mixed with anger toward anti-war demonstrators at home as hundreds of people, far fewer than organizers had expected, rallied Sunday on the National Mall just a day after a massive protest against the war in Iraq.

"No matter what your ideals are, our sons and daughters are fighting for our freedom," said Marilyn Faatz, who drove from New Jersey to attend the rally.

(BS: the war is being fought exclusively for the Repubs 2004 re-election campagn and for inflating oil prices to flush $Bs of windfall profits into oilco coffers. )

"We are making a mockery out of this. And we need to stand united, but we are not."

(the Repbus are making a mockery of running the country.)

About 400 people gathered near a stage on an eastern segment of the mall, a large photo of an American flag serving as a backdrop. Amid banners and signs proclaiming support for U.S. troops, several speakers hailed the effort to bring democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan and denounced those who protest it.

Many demonstrators focused their ire at Cindy Sheehan, the California woman whose protest near President Bush's Texas home last summer galvanized the anti-war movement. Sheehan was among the speakers at Saturday's rally near the Washington Monument on the western part of the mall, an event that attracted an estimated 100,000 people.

"The group who spoke here the other day did not represent the American ideals of freedom, liberty and spreading that around the world," Sen. Jeff Sessions, an Alabama Republican, told the crowd. "I frankly don't know what they represent, other than blaming America first."

(When the Repubs start a bogus war based on lies, who the else ya gonna blame? And, Repubs DO-NOT-EQUAL America)

One sign on the mall read "Cindy Sheehan doesn't speak for me" and another "Arrest the traitors"; it listed Sheehan's name first among several people who have spoken against the war.

Melody Vigna, 44, of Linden, Calif., said she wants nothing to do with Sheehan and others at nearby Camp Casey, an anti-war site set up to honor her son, Casey, who was killed in Iraq.

"Our troops are over there fighting for our rights, and if she was in one of those countries she would not be able to do that," Vigna said.

(BS: the troops are doing what they are told. The war is strcitly for the Repubs, not for America.)

( "she would not be able to do that", ... if the Repubs had their way, they would remove the freedom and right of expression of dissent and anti-war deomonstrations.)

The husband of Sherri Francescon, 24, of Camp Lejeune, N.C., serves in the Marine Corps in Iraq. One of the many military wives who spoke during the rally, Francescon said that the anti-war demonstration had left her frustrated.

"I know how much my husband does and how hard he works, and I feel like they don't even recognize that and give him the respect he deserves," Francescon said.

( hey dumbass, it's an anti-(Repub)war demonstration, NOT an anti-military demonstration. The military is just a neutral tool of the Repub policy, being abused, deteriorated, and sacrificed by the Repubs. I have nothing against the military, and support them 100% by calling this war BULL and unworthy of our military's involvement)

"I want him to know and I want his unit to know that America is behind them, Cindy doesn't speak for us, and that we believe in what they are doing."

Organizers of Sunday's demonstration acknowledged that their rally would be much smaller than the anti-war protest but had hoped that as many as 20,000 people would turn out.

( shows how connected to reality the pro-war people are.
    20,000? how about some "hundreds" )

On Saturday, demonstrators opposed to the war in Iraq surged past the White House in the largest anti-war protest in the nation's capital since the U.S. invasion. The rally stretched through the night, a marathon of music, speechmaking and dissent on the mall.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They aren't opposing the war...they are opposing America. When was the last time you saw them protesting the terrorists?

Pacifists my ass. When you call us the bad guys and label them the freedom fighters you are definitely anti-American. We were at war in Iraq to remove Saddam...
    Last edited by whottt; 09-25-2005 at 03:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you mean anti-American war rally?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They aren't opposing the war...they are opposing America. When was the last time you saw them protesting the terrorists?

Pacifists my ass. When you call us the bad guys and label them the freedom fighters you are definitely anti-American. We were at war in Iraq to remove Saddam...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one (I hope) is for our soldiers losing their lives but most are for the fight against terrorism. The majority protesting now are terrorist-sympathizing, bush-hating pacifists who don't understand the mentality of the terrorists (kill Americans, Israeli's, freedom seeking Islamists, etc) or they do understand and don't care. Both ways of thinking exude pure unadulterated ignorance.

Terrorism will not wane by the U.S. abandoning the fight against it or by abandoning the Iraqi's in their quest for freedom from tyrannical governing bodies and the mindless extremist insurgents.

For those that haven't noticed it's evolved into a theatre of battle against the terrorists, why are they protesting that?
    The war in Iraq did more to strengthen the ideology of extreme Islam than anything our opponents did.

It devided us from our traditional allies in Europe.

It gave our enemies propaganda pictures galore from Abu Gharaib and elsewhere.

It gave the jihadists a training ground better than the camps in Afghanistan.

European intelligence services are starting to see an influx of muslims coming back from Iraq after training.

Iraq had NOTHING to do with the "war" on terrorism until we made it that way.
    We played into their hands with this soup sandwich.

Thread Information