Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I upgraded my gtx960 at home with a RTX2060 Super. Hate one of the fans make a bit of noise, but other than that, solid card.

EDIT: this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07V1Q4L2Z
    Are you confident 2060 Super is going to hold on as a reasonably good gpu for the next say 3-4 years? By that I mean playing AAA games and getting a nearly locked 60 fps at 1080p without having to drop settings below say the high preset that usually corresponds to console level settings in AAA games. I really hate to be in that no man's land when you're only getting around 45 fps and the frames are jumping from one being displayed for two screen refreshes, the next for one screen refresh, then the next for two refreshes, then the next for one, the next for two, and so on, which is how 45 fps would run with VSync on a 60 Hz screen, right?

When I got my 970 in late 2014 it was nice because it was just put on 1080p ultra and forget it for the first couple of years except in a couple of special cases, like Crysis 3 I'd have to run high and Witcher 3 I'd have to turn off hairworks. Then year 3 it was mostly put settings on high and forget it. Year 4 I'd have to start tweaking settings from high to get 60 fps, and by 2019 I'd have to move a lot of stuff to medium, especially global illumination in games like Resident Evil 2. Considering 1080p is kind of a scrub resolution in 2020, do you think RTX 2060 Super would be likely to offer a similar experience? Even chopping a year off my 970 experience would be fine, as that was a much longer lasting gpu than I thought it would be when I bought it.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 01-01-2020 at 12:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I needed a card I could run DXR on, and the 960 didn’t cut it. I already have a RTX2080Ti at work, so I wanted to get something similar that would fit on my mini itx. Plus NVidia dev tools are starting to drop support for older cards.

I’ve been playing games on the PS4 Pro, tbh, haven’t really played a game on the PC in a long time. To answer your question, I don’t think it will, there’s extremely simple ways to bring down any card to it’s knees with ray tracing, even if you’re doing a hybrid approach and only using RT for shadows/reflections, which are probably the biggest visual improvements outside of global illumination, and I expect to be the new gfx standard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I needed a card I could run DXR on, and the 960 didn’t cut it. I already have a RTX2080Ti at work, so I wanted to get something similar that would fit on my mini itx. Plus NVidia dev tools are starting to drop support for older cards.

I’ve been playing games on the PS4 Pro, tbh, haven’t really played a game on the PC in a long time. To answer your question, I don’t think it will, there’s extremely simple ways to bring down any card to it’s knees with ray tracing, even if you’re doing a hybrid approach and only using RT for shadows/reflections, which are probably the biggest visual improvements outside of global illumination, and I expect to be the new gfx standard.
    Blech, ~$450 for a card I'll want to replace in a couple of years? Guess I'll skip PC gaming for at least a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you confident 2060 Super is going to hold on as a reasonably good gpu for the next say 3-4 years? By that I mean playing AAA games and getting a nearly locked 60 fps at 1080p without having to drop settings below say the high preset that usually corresponds to console level settings in AAA games. I really hate to be in that no man's land when you're only getting around 45 fps and the frames are jumping from one being displayed for two screen refreshes, the next for one screen refresh, then the next for two refreshes, then the next for one, the next for two, and so on, which is how 45 fps would run with VSync on a 60 Hz screen, right?

When I got my 970 in late 2014 it was nice because it was just put on 1080p ultra and forget it for the first couple of years except in a couple of special cases, like Crysis 3 I'd have to run high and Witcher 3 I'd have to turn off hairworks. Then year 3 it was mostly put settings on high and forget it. Year 4 I'd have to start tweaking settings from high to get 60 fps, and by 2019 I'd have to move a lot of stuff to medium, especially global illumination in games like Resident Evil 2. Considering 1080p is kind of a scrub resolution in 2020, do you think RTX 2060 Super would be likely to offer a similar experience? Even chopping a year off my 970 experience would be fine, as that was a much longer lasting gpu than I thought it would be when I bought it.
    The biggest drain on the GPU for me with RE2 was the damn texture sizes.. I would run within the 6GB of my GPU and it still sucked nuts, and I really couldn't tell a difference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Tom's Hardware is reporting Ampere on 7nm could provide double the performance of Turing at half the power consumption. That could completely rape PS5 and the next XBox.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...614.1451162300

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Decided to go with the ryzen 5 1600 AF (it's basically at stock a slightly underclocked 2600 at like 70% of the price but you can OC it to 4.2) and put more money into the GPU, still not sure which one though. Might wait for the 5600xt to drop tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Decided to go with the ryzen 5 1600 AF (it's basically at stock a slightly underclocked 2600 at like 70% of the price but you can OC it to 4.2) and put more money into the GPU, still not sure which one though. Might wait for the 5600xt to drop tbh
    You already buy it? 5600 XT ended up getting a $279 MSRP in the US, which is kind of ty since you can find RX 5700 for $299 at times out here and the 5600 XT is a cutdown 5700 with 2GB less VRAM. RTX 2060 looks like it's about to be given a $50 paycut in the US since EVGA was showing off a $299 RTX 2060 at CES.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You already buy it? 5600 XT ended up getting a $279 MSRP in the US, which is kind of ty since you can find RX 5700 for $299 at times out here and the 5600 XT is a cutdown 5700 with 2GB less VRAM. RTX 2060 looks like it's about to be given a $50 paycut in the US since EVGA was showing off a $299 RTX 2060 at CES.
    avoid the amd gpus, heard they still have driver issues...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    avoid the amd gpus, heard they still have driver issues...
    And Nvidia has super overpriced gpu issues. Kind of ed either way.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nope still haven't bought it, and didn't mean necessarily that I'm planning on getting the 5600xt, more like just wait to see how it affects the market tbh. But if what you say happens which one do you reckon is the better deal, 2060 or 5700?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope still haven't bought it, and didn't mean necessarily that I'm planning on getting the 5600xt, more like just wait to see how it affects the market tbh. But if what you say happens which one do you reckon is the better deal, 2060 or 5700?
    I mean did you buy the cpu already? There is a pretty significant difference in IPC between the Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 5 1600 that isn't explained away just by the 17% difference in clockspeed.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...600/3481vs2984

The Ryzen 3000 series is basically when AMD was finally able to tell Intel to go back home and their mother some more. AMD hasn't had a cpu line as dominant as Ryzen 3000 series since the Athlon XP days when they were curbstomping the Pentium 4.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I mean did you buy the cpu already? There is a pretty significant difference in IPC between the Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 5 1600 that isn't explained away just by the 17% difference in clockspeed.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...600/3481vs2984

The Ryzen 3000 series is basically when AMD was finally able to tell Intel to go back home and their mother some more. AMD hasn't had a cpu line as dominant as Ryzen 3000 series since the Athlon XP days when they were curbstomping the Pentium 4.
    Yeah got the cpu already but tbh you should be making the comparison between the 3600 and the 2600 since the 1600AF is 12nm zen+ architecture (as I said is basically a slightly underclocked 2600). I know there was a big jump in performance from 2000 to 3000 series but I felt a 2600 at like 70% of its price was just too good of a deal to pass on tbh, think I rather ride it for a few years and upgrade to a 3000/4000 down the line when they are cheaper and put the extra money on the gpu right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I'd likely take the RX 5700 over the RTX 2060 if they're the same price. It's usually faster than the 2060 and also has 2GB more VRAM. But the RTX 2060 has hardware raytracing while the 5700 doesn't. Generally the 2060 isn't powerful enough to use RT in games, but I'm going to guess console RT won't be nearly as good as Nvidia's RT, so maybe you'll see more lightweight RT in games designed to run on the consoles next gen? I don't know. It's really hard to pick a gpu right now with the uncertainty about the consoles, about the role RT will play, etc.

RX 5700 is a slightly cut down version of the RX 5700 XT that seems to be what recent leaks peg the PS5 as having. Also if you end up getting an RX 5700 with dual BIOS you might consider flashing an RX 5700 XT BIOS on to one of the BIOS on your dual BIOS RX 5700, which will allow you to really overclock the living out of your 5700 to 5700 XT level clocks and power consumption.

But you can ask vander, these cards have some real driver problems. I think AMD will sort them out (you should have seen how ty Nvidia's drivers were for the 2060 / 2070 / 2080 / 2080 Ti when they came out).
    Last edited by baseline bum; 01-09-2020 at 10:33 PM.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I'd likely take the RX 5700 over the RTX 2060 if they're the same price. It's usually faster than the 2060 and also has 2GB more VRAM. But the RTX 2060 has hardware raytracing while the 5700 doesn't. Generally the 2060 isn't powerful enough to use RT in games, but I'm going to guess console RT won't be nearly as good as Nvidia's RT, so maybe you'll see more lightweight RT in games designed to run on the consoles next gen? I don't know. It's really hard to pick a gpu right now with the uncertainty about the consoles, about the role RT will play, etc.

RX 5700 is a slightly cut down version of the RX 5700 XT that seems to be what recent leaks peg the PS5 as having. Also if you end up getting an RX 5700 with dual BIOS you might consider flashing an RX 5700 XT BIOS on to one of the BIOS on your dual BIOS RX 5700, which will allow you to really overclock the living out of your 5700 to 5700 XT level clocks and power consumption.

But you can ask vander, these cards have some real driver problems. I think AMD will sort them out (you should have seen how ty Nvidia's drivers were for the 2060 / 2070 / 2080 / 2080 Ti when they came out).
    haven't had any crashing or much stuttering as of late, but every time I run Outer Worlds I get blank screen. I have to windows key out, screen wakes up, go to Radeon software, and toggle GPU scaling, doesn't matter if it's on or off, just has to be toggled

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

That's pretty interesting. Tough honestly I'm starting to consider if it's not best to get the best bang for buck card right now (for 1080p) ala 1660 super and see how things plays out since even if I get a 2060 super I might have to replace it in a few years anyway (as per nono)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty interesting. Tough honestly I'm starting to consider if it's not best to get the best bang for buck card right now (for 1080p) ala 1660 super and see how things plays out since even if I get a 2060 super I might have to replace it in a few years anyway (as per nono)
    I don't know prices where you're at, but 1660 Super doesn't really get discounts while RX 5700 does in the US, which makes the price to performance nearly identical for them here when you shop around. But yeah, I can see going conservative on gpu right now since we're at the end of a pretty lackluster gpu generation. 1660 Super is still a huge upgrade over R9 280x and sufficient for a really good experience on any game out right now. RDR2 requires some heavy tweaking, but that game is almost like the Crysis of this generation for PC gaming.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't know prices where you're at, but 1660 Super doesn't really get discounts while RX 5700 does in the US, which makes the price to performance nearly identical for them here when you shop around. But yeah, I can see going conservative on gpu right now since we're at the end of a pretty lackluster gpu generation. 1660 Super is still a huge upgrade over R9 280x and sufficient for a really good experience on any game out right now. RDR2 requires some heavy tweaking, but that game is almost like the Crysis of this generation for PC gaming.
    Yeah guess its a different market, haven't seen any significant discounts on 5700s around here so far but have seen 1660S on some good deals being priced just above a rx 590 for example. Might go for one the next time i see it but don't mind waiting a bit really

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah guess its a different market, haven't seen any significant discounts on 5700s around here so far but have seen 1660S on some good deals being priced just above a rx 590 for example. Might go for one the next time i see it but don't mind waiting a bit really
    That's funny considering 1660 Super is about 15-20% more powerful at 30% lower power consumption than the 590.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sources: Horizon: Zero Dawn Is Coming To PC

Jason Schreier
    39 minutes ago

The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, an open-world game set in a post-apocalyptic version of the United States that has been overrun by robot dinosaurs, launched for PS4 in February 2017. It was critically acclaimed and commercially successful for its developer, Guerrilla Games, which is owned and operated by Sony. And, like other Sony-published games over the past two decades, it was exclusive to a PlayStation console, helping drive sales of Sony’s hardware in addition to generating revenue on its own.

Now, three years later, Horizon will be on another platform for the first time. We expect to see the game on both Steam and the Epic Games Store when it launches (although that may not be finalized yet). It will be the first Guerrilla game on a non-PlayStation platform since Sony purchased the Netherlands-based studio in 2005. It will also be an opportunity for Guerrilla to show off its technical chops—Horizon: Zero Dawn, restrained by the PlayStation 4's hardware, was locked at a framerate of 30 frames per second. We expect the PC version to be more capable.

This will be the first big exclusive game from a Sony-owned developer to come to PC. Death Stranding, which launched for PS4 last November and will also arrive on PC later this year, was funded and published by Sony but developed by an independent studio, Kojima Productions. (In fact, the PC version of Death Stranding is published by a different company, 505 Games.) The French studio Quantic Dream, also independent, had a similar arrangement last year, self-publishing its games Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human on PC without Sony’s involvement.

One other thing Death Stranding and Horizon: Zero Dawn share is technology. Both games run on Guerrilla’s Decima Engine, a robust suite of tools and software for making open-world video games. Guerrilla and Kojima Productions have worked closely together in recent years.

For most publishers, the release of a game on PC would be no big deal. Most video game companies try to put their software on as many platforms as possible. But for Sony, this is a remarkable move. Since the launch of the PlayStation 1 in 1994, just about every game funded and developed by Sony has been exclusive to a PlayStation platform. (Sony’s PC-focused massively multiplayer online games, including EverQuest, are the main exception.) Sony’s strategy has always been to drive hardware sales with software and vice versa. One would expect them to take the same approach with future games on the PlayStation 5, which will launch this fall.

But, as analyst Mat Piscatella has smartly pointed out, the future of video games lies in ecosystems, not platforms. Sony’s biggest compe or, Microsoft, has been more upfront about its platform-agnostic strategy, with Xbox boss Phil Spencer talking frequently about wanting to get their games in as many hands as possible. For the past couple of years, Microsoft has released all of its Xbox games on PC as well. Will Sony follow suit with its own slate of PlayStation exclusives? This upcoming PC port of Horizon may be a telling sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horizon will be ing impressive to see on even lower end PC hardware. The PS4 runs that at locked 1080p30fps on an HD 7850 level gpu and it's very impressive graphically aside from the framerate, and even something as low as a $120 RX 570 should have little problem running it at 1080p60 locked unless the port is just dog . It's not as good as The Witcher 3, but might be the best big open world game to come out since then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haven't had any crashing or much stuttering as of late, but every time I run Outer Worlds I get blank screen. I have to windows key out, screen wakes up, go to Radeon software, and toggle GPU scaling, doesn't matter if it's on or off, just has to be toggled
    I head the new driver is supposed to be better. Any improvement in stability?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5600 XT reviews out. LOL at AMD for having to push a out new BIOS to jack up the clockspeeds to compete with the RTX 2060 price cut. Don't know why they thought they were going to be competing against the 1660 Ti with this card. Personally I'd have a hard time buying the 5600 XT over the 5700 with the 2GB less of RAM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    5600 XT reviews out. LOL at AMD for having to push a out new BIOS to jack up the clockspeeds to compete with the RTX 2060 price cut. Don't know why they thought they were going to be competing against the 1660 Ti with this card. Personally I'd have a hard time buying the 5600 XT over the 5700 with the 2GB less of RAM.

Yeah saw this, wasn't expecting the performance to be this good tbh, if it ends up being priced similar to a 1660ti here it might be a good deal actually. Other parts came in yesterday, aleady got everything running smoothly just need the gpu now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah saw this, wasn't expecting the performance to be this good tbh, if it ends up being priced similar to a 1660ti here it might be a good deal actually. Other parts came in yesterday, aleady got everything running smoothly just need the gpu now
    1660ti is obsolete product due to the 1660super price

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    1660ti is obsolete product due to the 1660super price
    Yeah wouldn't get a ti, just talking about the price point tbh

Thread Information