Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked and didn't see a thread for this massive and supposely "epic" game yet?

So anyway, I haven't been keeping up with what this game is about but the last few days I have been curious as to what the this game is all about.

Still not entirely sure if this game even has a campaign mode. Even so, you're supposed to depend on people online to finish this game? That's a huge turn off.

Who's getting this? If alot of you guys decide to get this, I may too so we can join up and play.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Im pretty sure most of the regular gamers here at spurstalk will be getting this game.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thinking of getting a PS4 just for this game. Should I wait till the holiday season and maybe a price drop?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking of getting a PS4 just for this game. Should I wait till the holiday season and maybe a price drop?
    I dont think there would be much of a difference price wise. For example, the Destiny bundle seems like a good deal. Going for $450 which is around 50 or so bucks cheaper than when I got mine.

Although I hope you like white because I think that's the color those PS4 are coming in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks like multi-platform Halo to me..Bungie cried that they wanted to stop making Halo, but it looks like more of the same.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    getting the bundle and a tv on tuesday. all of my roommates are getting bundles and tvs lol. gonna be a good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked and didn't see a thread for this massive and supposely "epic" game yet?

So anyway, I haven't been keeping up with what this game is about but the last few days I have been curious as to what the this game is all about.

Still not entirely sure if this game even has a campaign mode. Even so, you're supposed to depend on people online to finish this game? That's a huge turn off.

Who's getting this? If alot of you guys decide to get this, I may too so we can join up and play.

it's basically halo and borderlands combined. you can finish all the campaign missions by yourself or with a "fire team" which is a group up to three. for strikes, which are the boss levels for each planet, you can either bring your fire team with you or it will randomly pair you with two other people.

if you're the hardcore raider type, you need five other people that you know to do the raids. they're supposed to be ridiculously hard, but are only for after you "finish" the main campaign and hit level 20 (you also need a certain amount of light on your gear that lets you soft cap past 20 but that's a complicated deal). i think raids will most likely have the best gear in game.

destiny also has a substantial player vs player component where you can get gear and weapons through representing factions. best part is in pvp all stats are set equal so people can't dominate with better weapons or being a higher level. so theoretically, if you're a call of duty or halo type player you can level up as you want just through pvp. then when you hit 20 you can use all your faction rep to deck out in great gear to use for the campaign or pve.

and yes at some point you'll interact with people in the open world, but you don't have to talk to them at all and it's mostly to your discretion whether or not to help them.

the game has a little something for everyone. i'd highly recommend checking it out. i put a lot of hours into the beta and it was fun as . it's nothing really groundbreaking but it attempts to package everything that works with fps and rpgs into one product. it will also have a 10 year lifespan so bungie is planning to put all of it's resources into it. the development budget was something like 500 mil.

i think spurs_fan_in_exile played the beta too and he had a positive impression of it as well.
    Last edited by The Reckoning; 09-08-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's basically halo and borderlands combined. you can finish all the campaign missions by yourself or with a "fire team" which is a group up to three. for strikes, which are the boss levels for each planet, you can either bring your fire team with you or it will randomly pair you with two other people.

if you're the hardcore raider type, you need five other people that you know to do the raids. they're supposed to be ridiculously hard, but are only for after you "finish" the main campaign and hit level 20 (you also need a certain amount of light on your gear that lets you soft cap past 20 but that's a complicated deal). i think raids will most likely have the best gear in game.

destiny also has a substantial player vs player component where you can get gear and weapons through representing factions. best part is in pvp all stats are set equal so people can't dominate with better weapons or being a higher level. so theoretically, if you're a call of duty or halo type player you can level up as you want just through pvp. then when you hit 20 you can use all your faction rep to deck out in great gear to use for the campaign or pve.

and yes at some point you'll interact with people in the open world, but you don't have to talk to them at all and it's mostly to your discretion whether or not to help them.

the game has a little something for everyone. i'd highly recommend checking it out. i put a lot of hours into the beta and it was fun as . it's nothing really groundbreaking but it attempts to package everything that works with fps and rpgs into one product. it will also have a 10 year lifespan so bungie is planning to put all of it's resources into it. the development budget was something like 500 mil.

i think spurs_fan_in_exile played the beta too and he had a positive impression of it as well.
    Nice. Thanks for the detailed description.

I'll defo check it out at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Destiny seems awesome...and I personally have zero hrs logged.

BUT it came pre planned with multiple sequels. Pre planned sequels are blatant money grabs and any original would be purposely gimped with them in mind.

I dunno. Gaming has dropped off a cliff. The innovation is gone. It is just another money hungry corrupt industry at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been waiting on this for almost two years now. The fact it's rated T and not M is kind of a turn off though. Still, as the original creators of my favorite gaming series ever are behind this, I have high hopes

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Got my pre downloaded for for the Xbox one have to wait til 3am eastern

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Destiny seems awesome...and I personally have zero hrs logged.

BUT it came pre planned with multiple sequels. Pre planned sequels are blatant money grabs and any original would be purposely gimped with them in mind.

I dunno. Gaming has dropped off a cliff. The innovation is gone. It is just another money hungry corrupt industry at this point.
    Triple A gaming, sure. However, the indie scene is undergoing a golden age. There are more quality les out there now than I know what to do with, even if they don't look like Crysis. I personally feel that gaming is better than it's ever been. Worse, too, but that'd beside the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Triple A gaming, sure. However, the indie scene is undergoing a golden age. There are more quality les out there now than I know what to do with, even if they don't look like Crysis. I personally feel that gaming is better than it's ever been. Worse, too, but that'd beside the point.
    I second this..some of the better games I've played lately are indies. Outlast, Divinity Original Sin come to mind. Kickstarter has opened the door for some talented young developers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol pc master race can't get on this good so they sit here and talk about indie alternatives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried playing Outlast and thought it was ghey tbh, you don't even get a weapon and the whole game is predicated on jumping out at you. Considering I'm one of those people who doesn't their pants or get scared when playing games I didn't see the point

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    this game!!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's up? Not measuring to the hype?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Getting destroyed as a an by peole clearly ranked the up with much more powerful weapons and armor then mine overall I'm disappointed in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game has a lot of problems. It's not terrible but it's pretty ing close. Bungie has some skill in making the act of shooting and moving around, weighty and fun. That stuff is good. Everything else is bad to mediocre in execution. The story is an incomprehensible mess in terms of narrative structure and even if it wasn't, who gives a because it's boring as and delivered with no enthusiasm. You can kind of get away with not doing big set pieces and with doing repe ive missions IF you have personality. This game has no personality. The enemies, the environments, the loot, and the characters are lifeless. I wasn't invested in the game when I bought it, so my expectations were "maybe as good as Borderlands?" Doesn't hit that mark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just started playing... looks like you don't need a Live Gold account on the 360 to play this, just using a regular Live account will do...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    500 million spent developing this garbage?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    waiting for the console peasants to come in and spin this

Don't worry Heath, the Borderlands Pre-Sequel will be out soon enough.
    Last edited by DJR210; 09-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol there's a high skill curve in multiplayer. it's not like you just enter and dominate. fwiw in crucible all the stats and weapons are set at a base so no one has a distinct advantage. i do think that you keep your unlockable skill tree so it's probably best if you are lvl 20. if you're playing multiplayer to start without even doing the single player missions, keep in mind most of those players spent hours and hours playing in the crucible during beta. remember you have a radar haha.

i'm having a blast personally. but that's because i have friends to play with and we're all rolling through it. some funny ass moments for sure.

once you get past the moon gets good. i wouldn't knock it until you hit 20 once you get a skill tree and subclasses up with better weapons.
    Last edited by The Reckoning; 09-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'll go ahead and give my initial impressions anyway for those who want to know:

granted i am a bit biased simply because i'm rolling through it with friends of mine i've played bf3 and rainbow six with so my experience is a little more personal. the main gripe i've seen from people is that they don't have any friends to play with and you can't communicate with people unless they're on your friends list or join your fireteam. i'm perfectly fine with that because i don't want kids or headcases spamming .

i have yet to encounter a glitch, technical, or server problems. this is pretty monumental considering the scale of the launch. i'd imagine a lot of their budget was dedicated to maintaining solid servers. i think that's a win in that department.

i haven't been in the crucible since beta because i know there will be a lot of hardcore halo and fps player rats in there. i'm waiting until i get a full skill tree.

the story so far is pretty dull. it's a halo revamped story. same kind of enemies (hive=flood, etc.) but a lot better AI. if you're a lore then you'll probably be a bit underwhelmed since the dialogue is lame. dinkelbot phoned in his performance but i find it hilarious. bungie selling out for british actors to make their dialogue seem interesting is not cool at all. the lore is there if you dig deep enough into the grimoire cards. it's kind of like reading the skyrim books, but you unlock them with achievements rather than just reading.

combat is awesome. i really enjoy it because it demands a certain amount of skill and coordination rather than mindlessly blasting through . granted you can always go back to the lower level patrol missions to do your bounties if you're more of that type. the weapons, gear, and abilities customization is pretty spot on. you don't need to min/max your character because most skills are more for utility than pure damage increase. if you like having your own playstyle that's easy to program for, it's perfect. head shots count much more here than other games.

content wise, there's not much imo. i'd say it's more of a sandbox shooter right now, which of course i'm biased to say i like because i don't care about the story but rather just messing around, but i think activision did that on purpose to make as much money off this as possible. i have a feeling by christmas the game will have so much to do, and that they're waiting to release what content they have in store for DLCs/expansions that you have to pay for. not cool, not cool. a lot of areas are blocked off at the moment, so yeah the zones seems small but i have a feeling they will be added onto or expanded in the near future.

most of all i like that you're not forced to play a lot to get what you want. i want to invest maybe three hours at most in this per week. i have a life.

so good:
    game performance is perfect. no lag, disconnects, glitches, etc. they nailed the launch in this regard.
    if you just want to shoot and have a challenge and get some loot on the side, it's a great game.
    it's casual gamer and solo friendly.
    Strikes are very challenging, but if you get a good group they're satisfyingly difficult
    crucible is difficult because of multiplayer rats who are trying to own on the boards. max number of people in match is six so there's hardly in skill saturation so you die a lot when you start.

the bad:
    hardly any story. bungie just stuck with their guns on this and didn't do anything different imo. they played this part conservatively. they also sold out on voice acting. it's terrible.
    repe ive missions and side quests, but really you get this in every "mmo". most missions are horde mode style. bungie just lines up the game's main goal of "shoot and have fun."
    some of the bounties take WAY longer than others. if you're a completionist, it can be frustrating. personally i just stick with easy ones and do the one world event per day. seems like the devil walker one in old russia is every 30 minutes and is easy to get to.
    people are re s. they don't realize that enemies have weakspots and hit hard. they think it's some sort of diablo point and click deal. i'd much rather play with people who know what they're doing, but aren't too serious about

overall: game so far to 20 is a grind, but fun as along the way. you can already see that certain encounters take strategy (use fire weapons/move for fire shields, etc.) so endgame content will probably be very challenging but enjoyable.

btw...nothing more satisfying than getting a headshot with a throwing knife clear across a room
    Last edited by The Reckoning; 09-11-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol there's a high skill curve in multiplayer. it's not like you just enter and dominate. fwiw in crucible all the stats and weapons are set at a base so no one has a distinct advantage. i do think that you keep your unlockable skill tree so it's probably best if you are lvl 20. if you're playing multiplayer to start without even doing the single player missions, keep in mind most of those players spent hours and hours playing in the crucible during beta. remember you have a radar haha.

i'm having a blast personally. but that's because i have friends to play with and we're all rolling through it. some funny ass moments for sure.

once you get past the moon gets good. i wouldn't knock it until you hit 20 once you get a skill tree and subclasses up with better weapons.
    True .

I dont get people that complain because they're not having it their way. One of the reasons I dont play much multiplayer. Even less enthusiastic when there is an open beta where some of your stats carry over to the main game.

If a guy like me starts playing the game and goes straight to multiplayer. I expect to get murdered ove and over again.

DJR210
    I dont know what you are reffering to. Its not like Bungie pulled one of ya. It was known for a long time this was going to be sort of like an MMO so you are expected to do some serious grinding in the game.

Thread Information