Page 231 of 281 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 7004
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    We are screwed at DT.

Best bet is to hope we can get a Juco along with a big time player

Post Count
    I read somewhere that UT wants to eventually play a base 335 defense. Not sure if they have the ends or lb's for it, but it would take some of the depth issues off of dt.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

HORNSDIGEST: NFL opinions vary on the draft stock of Texas DT Hassan Ridgeway, who will forego his final year of eligibility to enter the 2016 NFL Draft. But the 6-4, 315-pound redshirt junior from Mansfield is probably more ready than most realize.
    When I heard junior defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway, who finished the 2015 season with 36 tackles, including 3.5 sacks, had informed Texas coaches he plans to forego his final year of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft, my first thought was "mistake."
    But then I connected with someone I trust in the NFL who said Ridgeway could end up a first-round pick "maybe second round if he performs poorly."

One NFL front office person texted me back and said they see Ridgeway going in the "third or fourth round - not in the same class as (DT) Malcom Brown. Might go higher, but he isn't special, in my opinion."

It seemed like Ridgeway really could have used one more good, solid season to show the NFL he could be a player worthy of a starting spot in the league. But at 6-4 and 315 pounds with his ability to take over, at times, seemingly when he set his mind to it, the NFL appears to think Ridgeway is ready, too.
    Even if Ridgeway is selected in the third or fourth round, the money is legit.
    Former Texas LB Jordan Hicks was taken by the Eagles in the third round last year and ended up with a four-year, $3 million deal with $652,732 fully guaranteed. That averages out to $748,000 per year.
    If Ridgeway gets into the first round, cha ching.
    Former Longhorns' DT Malcom Brown (6-2, 320) went 30th in the first round to the Patriots in the 2015 draft and signed a four-year, $7.6 million deal with $6.1 million fully guaranteed - an average of $1.9 million per year.
    Ridgeway only started 18 games in college, and half of the eight games he started in 2015 appeared to involve Ridgeway playing with injury (ankle, shoulder and a lower back injury to start the season - we were told from a car accident over the summer that severely limited his ability to get in shape).
    But when he was healthy, like in his first start against Oklahoma State in Game 4, when he returned a fumble 34 yards for a TD, he showed he could be dominant.
    In texting with a few NFL scouts, they'd like to have seen more of his ability to use his hands to get off blocks and split double teams to be a high-level three-technique in the league. Otherwise, he'll likely get slotted as a nose tackle "only" by some teams, which carries less value in the NFL.
    But it only takes one team to like you in the first round, and all the scouts said Ridgeway's size plays in his favor as a potential first-round draft pick. Malcom Brown had to "overcome" his size as a 6-foot-2 defensive tackle.
    Ridgeway, who redshirted as a freshman in 2012 under Mack Brown, was dubbed "Green Mile" in 2014 by Charlie Strong because Ridgeway initially came off as more of a gentle giant.
    But Ridgeway began coming to life in 2014 under Strong and D-line coach Chris Rumph, posting 43 tackles, including six sacks and 11 tackles for loss. In 2015, Ridgeway was a preseason All-Big 12 candidate. But a lower back injury caused him to get off to a slow start.
    Ridgeway didn't start the first three games of the 2015 season. But in his first start of 2015 against Oklahoma State, Ridgeway posted a sack and returned that fumble 34 yards for a touchdown.
    In a 24-17 win over Oklahoma, Ridgeway posted his second sack of the season. Ridgeway posted a sack against Iowa State and a half sack against Texas Tech, a game in which he suffered an ankle injury that caused him to miss the final game of the season against Baylor.
    The projected starters at defensive tackle for Texas in 2016 figure to be Poona Ford and Paul Boyette with Chris Nelson also vying for playing time and Alex Norman possibly coming back from a medical redshirt season.

This may seem far fetched on some recruits but if I'm Texas I circle the wagons on Jordan E. and Kendell Jones and a couple the others targets who threw us on the backburner and make sure you emphasize our lack of depth. The road to playing time can't get any easier than what we're currently faced with.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Our best bet for Jones is if Bama DT coach takes the DC spot at South Carolina.

It's worth it for our coaches to stay in touch with him, but I highly doubt he ends up a quality DT, he would be devastating as an Olinemen.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    WR Stephen Sullivan (Donaldsonville, LA)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Scout reporting there is nothing to the rumor of DE Bryce Cottrell transferring.

Post Count
    Scout reporting there is nothing to the rumor of DE Bryce Cottrell transferring.
    Wait...what? If Cottrell transfered then Texas would have to play a 1-6-4 defense.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Can anyone confirm if Coach Norvell is now following some BYU accounts?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    LB Jeffrey McCulloch (Aldine Davis)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Can anyone confirm if Coach Norvell is now following some BYU accounts?
    Yeah. His last three follows went to @ CougarState, @ TomHolmoe (BYU's AD) and @BYUCougars (BYU athletic's official Twitter account). He follows four Arizona State accounts as well, and he interviewed there a few weeks ago. BYU and Norvell is something to keep an eye on, good catch Floss!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Could Norvell leaving be the bad news that Higdon has been referring to?

IMO Norvell leaving would not be bad news.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Cameron Ridley broke his foot.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OB saying that Whaley will be announcing at the Under Armour game and this bodes well for Texas.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OB saying that Whaley will be announcing at the Under Armour game and this bodes well for Texas.
    Potentially three great pick-ups that day: Cuffee, Delance and Whaley.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    LB Dontavious Jackson (Alief Elsik) and LB Jeffrey McCulloch (Aldine Davis)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    24/7 saying DT Chris Daniels of Euless Trinity will be officially visiting UT on January 16th.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bye D Jack!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Manvel DB Deontay Anderson. It sounds like he'll visit on January 15th.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdE5TBJYuGk

Sillsbee OT Patrick Hudson. He's looking at A&M and Baylor. "I can't really say anything about them" was his first response when asked about Texas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRW8AUN6JCM

Elsik LB Dontavious Jackson. He'll visit Austin again before Signing Day, but not on an official visit (he'll visit Alabama on January 22nd and Florida on January 14th).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ptnD8WJO8

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Thread Information