Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's filling the Belinelli hole, and PATFO jumped on him immediately after being waived for that reason.
    Nothing about this seems "immediate" to me, tbh. Just how many coin tosses did it take for PATFO to decide between Bonner and Butler?

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner must have some kind of dirt on Pop or RC to not be let go.
    And I bet he have on the BIg3 too, specially Tony. Those guys are consulted in these type of decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dog move. Bonner should have been cut. He was spared for sentimental reasons. Soft ass PATFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing about this seems "immediate" to me, tbh. Just how many coin tosses did it take for PATFO to decide between Bonner and Butler?
    They were waiting for the road trip to be over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    business is business

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could have gotten rid of Butler and Bonner, I'm just glad we have Kmart tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official, Pop raped Bonner and Bonner has blackmailed years out of it.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid decision...Butler would have been a defensive contributor in the playoffs. Bonner will be nothing but a liability come post season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do I even begin? First off, if Bonner was still determined to play, he can't. The scrub got hurt in 3 minutes of playing time after being DNP and he's absolutely useless when it's not garbage time. Second, he has 2 les compared to Butler who is ringless. Third, a decade, 10 years, that's how much the Spurs have given him worth of contracts just to be a pile of . He owes the Spurs, not the other way around. The front office suggestion is even going too far, like I said, Spurs don't owe him a thing.

No. Butler was actually useful and was a decent defender, probably our third best wing defender behind Wingstop. He was also athletic. Bonner? He just runs around like a hunchback and that's about all he does.

I mean, it is terrible what we did to Butler. He played great when called upon and then cut him after the playoff eligible deadline. While Bonner just collected DNP- sore vagina all year
    I agree that it's terrible what happened to Butler. I just also think it would've been just as terrible if they did the same thing to Bonner. That's all I'm saying.

You're clearly not the biggest fan of Bonner (as evidenced by your claim that he's been a pile of for practically his entire time with the organization ), so this is a pointless argument...but he's a serviceable defender, and he's done well at hitting the 3-ball this year. If Butler was even shooting just 35% from 3, this wouldn't be a conversation, but unfortunately he was never able to find his shot and shooting 30% from 3 is hardly going to space the floor. As for his health, I'll assume the Spurs have done their due diligence and think that Bonner will be healthy and good to go going forward.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They see the two in practice for months. They've seen them off the court. They've got all sorts of advanced stats. They scout the opponents. They strategize. , they know a lot more than us outsiders.. If Bonner sticks, then it was meant to be.
    You should start a thread about your bulletproof theories.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have at least do this when he was still eligible to join another team for the playoffs.

Feel bad for Rasual.. and Martin doesn't really seem like a great upgrade.
    I get Pop knows more than us, but given the loyalty side of the Spurs you never know if keeping Bonner is more of a loyalty move than an actual basketball move.

Hopefully Martin can have an actual impact when it matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys thinking the FO would make emotion or sentimental decisions.
    Its about what they think the best chance of winning is, despite you not wanting Bonner on the roster at the end of the day they aren't making emotional decisions like some of you would be making in the FO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've yet to make an argument that passes any informal logic test.
    Uh the Spurs FO agrees with me.

What logic you preaching again? Your wack analytic scouting report on Martin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About damn time K-Mart is on the roster. Rasual will still get a ring if the Spurs win the chip. Lol, at this being bad for business. Like other le contenders have never released players to make room on their roster for better players.

Spurs going for that Warriors ass, tbh. This team needs all the weapons it can have against the Splash Twinks..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a move by PATFO.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously the move was for specific reasons that none of us will know right now. It comes down to who they think will be most effective in a playoff run, for a specific matchup. Despite if you like Bonner or not he has the experience deep in the playoffs over the last 10 years. The move was surprising to me, but then again we have been able to score Andre Miller and Kevin Martin in this last week I don't think many would have expected. At the end of the day the roster has been upgraded, and the Spurs are all in to win it this year. I trust the decisions and thoughts they make tbh
    Name the last postseason game he contributed positively too. I'm talking game changing. He does a great job of shooting when we're up 30 or down 30. Put him in a close game? He turns into a walking vagina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh the Spurs FO agrees with me.

What logic you preaching again? Your wack analytic scouting report on Martin?
    That doesn't mean you, or the front office, is right. Pop still squints every time he sees Bonner and thinks he's got Big Shot Rob out there. Fact of the matter is, it's Dwayne Schintzius without the mullet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've yet to make an argument that passes any informal logic test.
    Ignore him bro. Hes hilarious when he tries to talk ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I don't think it was classless, but that's me. I am sure everyone was communicated with and with all the injuries, SA couldn't afford to do things perfectly. I think Butler understands and unfortunately due to the timing of everything with Martin (the guy SA really wanted despite what we on ST think) going up to the last minute, they couldn't waive anyone for the off chance they might get Martin if he was bought out.

I think they made the right basketball move as well. Bonner got healthy at the right time and tbh has looked pretty damn good on both ends. Will it last and will he play a lot? No, but I think a healthy Bonner brings more to the Spurs than Butler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I agree it's ty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less ty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a le? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less ed up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger !"
    He has two rings. Butler hasn't ever won one. Bonner should have ed off two seasons ago, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name the last postseason game he contributed positively too. I'm talking game changing. He does a great job of shooting when we're up 30 or down 30. Put him in a close game? He turns into a walking vagina.
    And yet still more experience in the postseason than Butler.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'm sure Butler will treasure his token ring should the Spurs win or if they even bother offering him one. I'm positive he'll be thrilled getting one for being waived.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't mean you, or the front office, is right. Pop still squints every time he sees Bonner and thinks he's got Big Shot Rob out there. Fact of the matter is, it's Dwayne Schintzius without the mullet.
    This isn't about Bonner over Butler..

This about Chinook claiming Butler is a better player than Martin.

Thread Information