Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he'll resign the HC if things don't turn around and try to hand off to one of the assistants to keep them employed. Who knows if the ownership will go for it.
    I think so too. He just seems done, to the point that there's a good chance he won't even make it to 2020 with the USANT. I believe he fully intends to coach the Olympics, but he seems lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously he isn't going to get fired

I could see him leaving sooner than expected, though..he's 70, hates modern basketball, has interests outside of the game and this team will likely be a bottom-feeder for a long time..

Hopefully Manu is willing to take over soon and turn this around..
    Do you actually think Manu will ever coach? I'd think Tony would coach before Manu would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right. Most people thought they'd win 40-something games because they looked at last year's record without Kawhi. But the Spurs lost more than Kawhi this summer.
    And everyone thought DeRozen would make the team better, but last year Aldridge was playing out of his mind, and now...
    We also had Kyle, Danny Green, Murray and Pau. And the refs weren't encouraged to call all games for teams to score 140

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two words: Becky Hammon. If the Spurs powers-that-be have a lick of sense.

Think of the media coverage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you actually think Manu will ever coach? I'd think Tony would coach before Manu would.
    No but I could see him being a GM or something else in the front office..

The way he discusses individual players and surprisingly uses advanced metrics on Twitter + his compe ive nature that will lead to boredom IMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, he exposed 3/4's of this forum. I've been calling him overrated for five years.
    Five years? So he was overrated going to the finals back to back, winning a championship, and then winning 67 games?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Five years? So he was overrated going to the finals back to back, winning a championship, and then winning 67 games?
    Yes.

One Bad Ass MoFo SouthTexasRancher's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We left the game a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. It was that bad. This team has totally tuned out Pop. He has lost this team. I think they are as tired of him spouting off about players like he just did with KaWhitter or like him saying BB is dead and too boring. He is the one who makes the game boring. Pop has a big mouth that he really should keep shut, i.e., don't let things leave the so called locker room. The proverbial "what goes on here stays here". Pop really does need to consider retiring. He has allowed himself to get old and out of touch. Players and probably some coaches just don't relate to him anymore. This team needs a young thinker. Pop has had a wonderful career but, the time has come. Don't drag this out, Pop. Go out as a winner and allow yourself and everyone else to relive the good times and there have been a ton of good times with the Spurs over the years.

This is by far the worst Spurs team I can remember. They are not even trying. They are playing exactly like a team that doesn't want to play for its coach. The Timberwolves game was hard to watch on TV but, tonight in person, it was horrible. We'd be better off putting a high school team on the floor just for the of it. This is going to be a long season. The good news is both the Cowboys and Texans are playing some pretty good football. Even the Dallas Mavericks are playing decent basketball.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    We also had Kyle, Danny Green, Murray and Pau. And the refs weren't encouraged to call all games for teams to score 140
    Danny was neutered in Pop's system, Kyle was an offensive nightmare, Murray isn't nearly as good as people make him out to be and Pau is virtually unplayable vs most elite teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny was neutered in Pop's system, Kyle was an offensive nightmare, Murray isn't nearly as good as people make him out to be and Pau is virtually unplayable vs most elite teams.
    But they could all play defense. Something none, absolutely zero, of their replacements this year on this team can do.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Obviously he isn't going to get fired

I could see him leaving sooner than expected, though..he's 70, hates modern basketball, has interests outside of the game and this team will likely be a bottom-feeder for a long time..

Hopefully Manu is willing to take over soon and turn this around..
    iirc, while manu was playing he had said something along the lines of coaching wasn't for him. things do change but manu has other interests than basketball... if he did end up coaching i don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

he'd make a great coach though.

One Bad Ass MoFo SouthTexasRancher's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny thing, they cultivated two such guys in Brown and Bud. One More defensive one More Offensive minded but they understand each other's minds. 2014 met with the Old man and he said "I'm not leaving" so they did. Local Radio guys on 760 say that Bud was a Trash coach because of the talent drain that happened in Atlanta. Look at him now. Brown embraced "the process", a process this coach didn't want to do when he lost Kawhi. Look at THEM NOW. A bench of Yes Men(and Lady) ain't gonna make things better.
    Now that Bud has the Greek Freak and a bunch of other good players and he sees what is going on here he is probably at the Bucks office door begging to sign a long term contract. LOL And I wouldn't blame him.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    But they could all play defense. Something none, absolutely zero, of their replacements this year on this team can do.
    Pop was never the smartest guy in the room. He lost his talented coaching staff that made him look good and then he evetually traded away defense for offense and it blew up in his damn face. He felt the Spurs system would eventually prevail and the Spurs would be a well oiled machine on offense and they would win games by outscoring their opponent. The little key ingredient he forgot to add to the punch bowl was talent. The players make up the system and if the players are old, unathletic and stupid, the system is going to reflect that. Pop thought he was inventing the wheel all along when in actuality, he had three hall of famers carrying his ass. Pop couldn't coach his way out of a shoebox with out Tim Duncan and what's even worse is that he's even worse at being a front end executive. He's not just the coach of this hot mess of a roster, he created it.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 12-01-2018 at 12:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    95% of the forum thought this near-50 win team would improve with the addition of an Allstar like DeRozan. I bet you were one of those idiots.

I tried to tell y'all....
    We will be around .500 all year. That is what we are. So man up and ing deal with it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If Spurs fired Pop do you know how many NBA teams would instantly fire their head coach to hire Pop.

Spurs will not fire Pop but I sense sometimes Pop knows it.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    If Spurs fired Pop do you know how many NBA teams would instantly fire their head coach to hire Pop.

Spurs will not fire Pop but I sense sometimes Pop knows it.

Pop is both GM and coach though his personal secretary RC Buford assumes the GM position (takes phone calls, makes coffee, collects enormous paychecks) while Pop is the acting coach. The only person who can theoretically fire him is himself.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 12-01-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything about the organization reeks. The medical staff is incompetent after misdiagnosing Kawhi, Danny, and Pau. The talent pool is depressing. Career loser Softridge and choke artist Defrozen as your top two players. Not a single defensive wing on the roster. No real playmaker either. They play an antiquated style of bball while the rest of the league has evolved. They stash picks that never come over because those guys receive better salaries in Europe. The coaching staff is the worst it's ever been. Ass-kissers that refuse to move on because they're waiting for an ideal coaching opportunity(Becky) or just trying to outlast Pop and take over the team itself(Messina). Once upon a time, this franchise was great from top to bottom. They're now a shadow of what they once were due to talent drain(Duncan, Manu, Parker, Kawhi, Danny) and brain drain(Bud, Forcier, Brett, Marks).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t understand why poop continues to coach. He doesn’t care about coaching, he hates the modern style of basketball, and he seems more interested in politics than coaching at this point. Maybe he should run for the Texas US Senate seat in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lost manu, we lost the team...manu4ever tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think pop and buford dropped the ball on where the league was headed with the new rules. Pop hasn't been able to adjust. Losing Murray meant we lost our pace. We can't defend, and when they miss, we can't rebound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop could shoot someone on the riverwalk and keep his job tbh... His supporters love him...tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fire pop. i'm willing to bring back kawhi and uncle dennis can be the coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A pe ion of say, 100,000 Spur fan signatures would probably get the job done, I think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    95% of the forum thought this near-50 win team would improve with the addition of an Allstar like DeRozan. I bet you were one of those idiots.

I tried to tell y'all....
    We would if Murray and Walker and Paul were healthy happens. Stop being such a pussy.

Thread Information