Cant wait for the draft in december

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to take the idea of Achiuwa at SF seriously when even his own assistant coach at Memphis compared him to Bam Adebayo and Montrezl Harrell.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this guy a 6'5 guard or 6'8.75 center?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to take the idea of Achiuwa at SF seriously when even his own assistant coach at Memphis compared him to Bam Adebayo and Montrezl Harrell.
    Are you referring to the video with the assistant coach where afterwards he says he may even be Pascal Siakam? Lmao yall like to exclude info like that. Its ridiculous.

Btw, taking advice from Penny Hardaway as if hes some great coach? Let alone an assistant coach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater! Watch the videos!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater! Watch the videos!!
    Lmfao doesnt even listen to full clip of the gotcha statement by objective. Blind sheep around here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you referring to the video with the assistant coach where afterwards he says he may even be Pascal Siakam? Lmao yall like to exclude info like that. Its ridiculous.

Btw, taking advice from Penny Hardaway as if hes some great coach? Let alone an assistant coach?
    I mentioned the first two guys that he had prepared for, Siakam was an afterthought for him.

And Siakam is a PF, lineup data doesn't lie.

And why the problem with him being compared to Siakam (max player), Adebayo (probably on his way to being a max player), and Harrell (going to get paid a lot and play a lot)?

His college assistant coach compared him to 3 guys that most if not every team would love to have and that's a problem because it's not at SF?

But speaking of videos, I'll watch him next, I only have 5 games though as Memphis wasn't on cable that much compared to many other teams.

So I'll load them up in the next couple of days and judge for myself.

I wasn't put off by the Williams hype other posters had before I watched him and the same will hold for my review of Achiuwa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned the first two guys that he had prepared for, Siakam was an afterthought for him.

And Siakam is a PF, lineup data doesn't lie.

And why the problem with him being compared to Siakam (max player), Adebayo (probably on his way to being a max player), and Harrell (going to get paid a lot and play a lot)?

His college assistant coach compared him to 3 guys that most if not every team would love to have and that's a problem because it's not at SF?

But speaking of videos, I'll watch him next, I only have 5 games though as Memphis wasn't on cable that much compared to many other teams.

So I'll load them up in the next couple of days and judge for myself.

I wasn't put off by the Williams hype other posters had before I watched him and the same will hold for my review of Achiuwa.
    Here's my point.

Just because a coach uses a player at PF or C, doesnt mean thats what he is suited for. Usually its the roster makeup of the team. I firmly believe Achiuwa was played as a big because no one else on the team could do it better than him. Now the assistant coach is babbling about players who play that position as if that is what he is confined to.

The Spurs have played Forbes at SF. Does that mean he is a SF? No.

Eye test clearly shows his game is of that of a SF/PF hybrid.

No, i dont mind if he gets compared to those players. But to confine him to those players and their style? I disagree. He has their strengths, sure. But I believe he can be much more, given his knack for playmaking and handling the ball in transition.

But hey, if teams have that view of him of being a Bam type and that makes him fall out of the top 10... Im all for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's zero chance Achiuwa can or will play"SF". He's got the body of a "PF", but unless he becomes a credible range shooter, he'll either have to play small ball C or be paired with a floor spacing rim protector, who allows him to play rim runner on offense and defend "PF's" on defense.

Too many are living in the past in terms of positional designations. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Metu can play SF", "Samanic is an SF", "Johnson isn't an SF", etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's my point.

Just because a coach uses a player at PF or C, doesnt mean thats what he is suited for. Usually its the roster makeup of the team. I firmly believe Achiuwa was played as a big because no one else on the team could do it better than him. Now the assistant coach is babbling about players who play that position as if that is what he is confined to.

The Spurs have played Forbes at SF. Does that mean he is a SF? No.

Eye test clearly shows his game is of that of a SF/PF hybrid.

No, i dont mind if he gets compared to those players. But to confine him to those players and their style? I disagree. He has their strengths, sure. But I believe he can be much more, given his knack for playmaking and handling the ball in transition.

But hey, if teams have that view of him of being a Bam type and that makes him fall out of the top 10... Im all for it.
    re: the coach babbling, I don't view it as him confining Achiuwa to an archetype, he was promoting him. And considering the coach in question had spent time at the NBA level I consider his optimistic promotion to be looking towards his perceived best possible outcome.

I'll watch the games I have and judge for myself if he has any of strengths needed to passably play SF.

And that's even if Pop would play him there. The way Pop handled Murray and White proves that his imagination is quite lacking, and asking him to play a 6-9 guy who can't hit shots or make free throws (as of now) when he could just play Forbes at SF on a new 4-year $60 million contract isn't something I would expect happening even if Achiuwa is the next Durant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm holding out hope that somehow we get James Wiseman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why's everyone so damn hung up on whether Precious would play SF, PF, or what may be? Strictly defined positions are a thing of the past. Besides, it's not like we have a damn star prospect at the 3/4/5 that would stand in the way of Achiuwa... If we draft him and he's immediately better and jumps in front of Luka or even Jakob as the more versatile/complete/energetic prospect, I for sure ain't complaining

I don't care whether we draft a SF, PF, or C. Just no guards... Unless we jump into top-4 and Deni is there, or he miraculously falls to 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fine. Lets go with this. If Precious is drafted, i will be extremely happy with his ability to guard all positions + be disruptive on defense with his Kawhi-like arms + able to dribble and drive. That to me, is an all star. Regardless of whatever position he plays.

I want us to draft someone with length, but also with strength so they dont get bullied in the post. We need someone to slow down Kawhi, LeBron, and Giannis. We cant rely on freaking Derrick White to do that. Precious has the physique. Vassell? Dude looks like a twig and while he was a stopper in college, i doubt he could do the same in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What yall need to see is also his explosive first step which he uses to blow by defenders when attacking with the ball. That is a premium quality in prospects when gauging for potential s om.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While old positional definitions are at least somewhat outdated, that doesn't mean that there aren't new ones. Yeah, Samanic and Metu are not SFs. And yeah, PFs play more on the perimeter than usual. But there's still a gradient with all the positions where some lack complete cross-over. A guy like Walker can play the two or three. But he's not a four. Maybe Precious can play some three, but you likely can't have two players with his same pluses and minuses on the floor at the same time as forwards. The skills each position need are different than they used to be, but the need for specialization in skills is still important excepting a situation where the players in question just have too much talent to ignore.

To that end, I have no idea why people keep trying to draft for need. The only way position matters in the draft is if the Spurs are going to run it back and are planning to get a starter to go with DMDR and LMA. If they are going to rebuild or just play out the string, then you draft whomever, even if it's a 6-5 guard, so long as you believe that player will be the best. FFS some folks are upset at the idea of the Spurs winning the lottery and taking a guard, like they have first-overall talent just sitting on their roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we need another midget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we need another midget.
    The point is such a guy wouldn't be "another" anything, because no one on the roster is worth skewing BPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget about Okongwu. Poor man's Wiseman?

He actually might slip to where the Spurs end up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have to jump into the top 4, AND be ahead of GS. Every mock simulation on Tankathon has them picking him if he’s on the board. If he’s gone, they select Okongwu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the perfect video of Precious showing good and bad. 40+ minute video. Captures every play he's involved in.

https://youtu.be/YVi5x0TCOqc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the perfect video of Precious showing good and bad. 40+ minute video. Captures every play he's involved in.

Check out the (missed) post move at timestamp 9:35. Remind you of anyone?

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I watched like 17min and it seems like he gets his shot blocked alot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched it great defender but Offense has a way to go not a hater but he is not a top 12 pick. This draft is starting to look real weak I’ll say it again if we can trade our 11th pick for someone 1st next year I am all for it just as long as we know will get. 5 to 10 pick.

I would trade LMA or DEROZZ for a top 15 pick in 2021 and what ever ty one year fillers we need to match contracts. This goes without saying we need to do the David and Timmy and just Tank like New York, Chicago do.
    Last edited by BackHome; 05-14-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Thread Information