Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree it's an OK return, however, the whole scenario is a gnsf-trade-thread-special. First of all this trade wouldn't happen on draft night for a million reasons. Meaning the Spurs wouldn't be picking the player with the LAC 2020 1st but the Knicks would. Meaning the Spurs would have to like that player and wait for a couple of months until he's actually trade eligible on his rookie deal (just like Cavs - Minnesota had to wait before trading Love for Wiggins). Meaning the Knicks would have to sit on their cap space and not use it and wait for the trade to be eligible. Yeah no.

Not to mention the bad blood between the Spurs and NY front offices which makes any such trades highly unlikely.

They can agree in principle, then the Knicks can select whoever the Spurs want.

Since this would likely qualify as their big move, they'd probably prioritize it with their cap space. If not, they could offer the Mavericks '21 1st, that they own, instead. That draft is supposed to be loaded.

They just named a new president.

They want a star and apparently view DDR as a star. They have enough cap to sign him outright, even with a $8-15 ,million reduction in the cap, in the off-season. The reason why a trade would make sense is because DDR isn't going to want to give up almost $28 million. A Clippers first and Ntilikina would a steal for the Spurs and something the Knicks would probably do tbh.
    I don't see how it's a steal, but it probably and unfortunately is, DeRozan's market value.

Ntilikina is one of the worst offensive players in the league, but at going on 22, with superior physical tools (6'-5'' 197 7'-0'') to defend 1-3, if he ever becomes so much as a credible spot up 3-point shooter, he could become a valuable role player on a good team. If not, he probably becomes Carter-Williams.

I'm not really interested in him, but he'd open up more possibilities. Either re-route him for an early 2nd in '20 or '21 or retain him and it becomes easier to trade White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would the bulls trade LaVine, OPJ and 2020 1st Rd pick for Murray, Walker, DDR and 2020 2nd Rd pick?

spurs could then pickup Haliburton with the 7th and Vassell (or whomever) with the 11th. To me that deal seems pretty fair to both teams and definitely improves the spurs. Doubt the FO makes any trades though.

Haliburton/White
    Lavine/KJ/Mills
    OPJ/Vassell
    Lyles/Gay
    LMA/Poetl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible idea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how it's a steal, but it probably and unfortunately is, DeRozan's market value.

Ntilikina is one of the worst offensive players in the league, but at going on 22, with superior physical tools (6'-5'' 197 7'-0'') to defend 1-3, if he ever becomes so much as a credible spot up 3-point shooter, he could become a valuable role player on a good team. If not, he probably becomes Carter-Williams.

I'm not really interested in him, but he'd open up more possibilities. Either re-route him for an early 2nd in '20 or '21 or retain him and it becomes easier to trade White.
    It is in the sense that DDR doesn't fit with the Spurs and their future.

1. Spurs get off of DeRozan
    2. Get a first rounder- A late first, but still a first.
    3. A decent enough prospect as a throw-in

All things considered, that's a good deal, especially if there aren't other teams interested in dealing for DeRozan. Its not certainly maximum value but it recoups some value and kick starts the Spurs rebuild.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rona has changed everything. Zero incentive to think about long term deals right now for anyone. Players kinda ed. But to be very fair management also thinking about staying afloat, which is probably in part why spurs ownership selling minority stake to raise $$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the would Ntilikina work with guys like murray and white (i.e. not elite shooters)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the would Ntilikina work with guys like murray and white (i.e. not elite shooters)
    Would rather take a flyer on a player like Knox ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan's value is in the $28 million that will come off the payroll of whatever team he plays for next year. The salary cap is going to go down from the projected 115 million/139 million lux tax for 2020/21 season. There are many thoughts over how much, and when will we know, but until there are games or Silver pulls the plug, the exact amount is speculative talk. But the direction the cap will go isn't speculation. It's going down. DeRozan will opt in. He isn't getting that money anywhere else, and he will never be offered that kind of money again.

The team that gets him is going to want the cap flexibility to be a potential player in the 2021 FA market with all the big names available. Greek Freak, AD, KL, Paul George, LeBron ... there isn't a player that is going to do an extension (because the max money per year will be less this summer than in the summer of 2021) or opt out of a player option that is over $15 million this offseason (unless you really want to play for the Hawks, Hornets, or Knicks).

The Spurs could have this off there books next summer:
    DD - $28 million
    LMA - $24 million
    PM - $13 million
    RG - $14.5 million
    DC - $6 million
    TL - $5 million
    Estimated 90.5 million dollars!

Trade DD and LMA for players/picks that can help your team! Invest that 52 million in payroll wisely this offseason because you're still going to have 38.5 million to pay your own players and find affordable free agents next summer. You can take advantage of clubs who could get caught in a bad position with their salary caps when the new figures come out, and there will be affordable free agents in 2021 after the premium players suck a lot of money out of the initial market.

You can get way more than Franky Smokes or Kevin Knox in return for DeRozan. And, if you can't, then everyone in the organization should be fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilson Chandler
    Trevor Ariza
    Danillo Galinari
    Hardaway Jr.
    Channing Frye

What do all of these players have in common? They went on to develop, and turn into better players when they Escaped From New York. Ntilikina isn't even 22 yet, and I watched him just STONE Westbrook one game. He also grew an inch and a half his first season, and is now about 6'6". I'd like to see them give him run at the 3, see if you can turn him into Batum. He could turn into a nice surprise like Lyles, another lottery reclamation project. If he doesn't work out, you don't submit at QO next summer. No harm, no foul.

Imagine if you could get a younger more raw Bowen at 21, instead of 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan's value is in the $28 million that will come off the payroll of whatever team he plays for next year. The salary cap is going to go down from the projected 115 million/139 million lux tax for 2020/21 season. There are many thoughts over how much, and when will we know, but until there are games or Silver pulls the plug, the exact amount is speculative talk. But the direction the cap will go isn't speculation. It's going down. DeRozan will opt in. He isn't getting that money anywhere else, and he will never be offered that kind of money again.

The team that gets him is going to want the cap flexibility to be a potential player in the 2021 FA market with all the big names available. Greek Freak, AD, KL, Paul George, LeBron ... there isn't a player that is going to do an extension (because the max money per year will be less this summer than in the summer of 2021) or opt out of a player option that is over $15 million this offseason (unless you really want to play for the Hawks, Hornets, or Knicks).

The Spurs could have this off there books next summer:
    DD - $28 million
    LMA - $24 million
    PM - $13 million
    RG - $14.5 million
    DC - $6 million
    TL - $5 million
    Estimated 90.5 million dollars!

Trade DD and LMA for players/picks that can help your team! Invest that 52 million in payroll wisely this offseason because you're still going to have 38.5 million to pay your own players and find affordable free agents next summer. You can take advantage of clubs who could get caught in a bad position with their salary caps when the new figures come out, and there will be affordable free agents in 2021 after the premium players suck a lot of money out of the initial market.

You can get way more than Franky Smokes or Kevin Knox in return for DeRozan. And, if you can't, then everyone in the organization should be fired.
    No team is going to trade their cap space, and just absorb either of LMA or DD's contracts, let alone do that AND send something of value back. It's a FA class this summer anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying other teams absorb their salaries. Trade for other players. Get better player fits for this team. If the new contracts of those new players run past 2021, who cares?? How many premium free agents choose the Spurs anyway?? Trade for players who are talented, but whose contracts run passed 2021. Let that be your free agency push. And if those players have a positive effect, you get back in the playoff picture, you will still have potentially 38.5 million to look at free agents or resign your own players in 2021 offseason.

Teams could be so fixated on their team's cap space for the 2021 FA class, use that against them with a 28 million and 24 million dollar carrot to entice them with and get better players for the Spurs. That's what I'm saying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is in the sense that DDR doesn't fit with the Spurs and their future.

1. Spurs get off of DeRozan
    2. Get a first rounder- A late first, but still a first.
    3. A decent enough prospect as a throw-in

All things considered, that's a good deal, especially if there aren't other teams interested in dealing for DeRozan. Its not certainly maximum value but it recoups some value and kick starts the Spurs rebuild.
    That's a last resort type package. I'd rather attempt to expand it to a 3 team trade . . .

To Pistons: White, 11, 27
    To Knicks: DeRozan
    To Spurs: Ntilikina, 5, Thomas
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-09-2020 at 03:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line, do you guys see a way the Spurs do business with the Knicks?

Imho, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Imho, no.
    With the history no.
    I also really can't see anyone wanting him.
    His age, skill set salry. Only option is if someone wants to rebuild and have you take on long term contracts.
    The Spurs have maxed out his efficiency and he still doesn't move the needle much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the history no.
    I also really can't see anyone wanting him.
    His age, skill set salry. Only option is if someone wants to rebuild and have you take on long term contracts.
    The Spurs have maxed out his efficiency and he still doesn't move the needle much.
    At this point, the Knicks are the ugly girl at the dance. If they want to get a pretty good player, they’d be willing to do it by hook or by crook. If he opts in, I can totally see them calling SA. I’d be willing to do anything involving a young player or draft pick, and contracts that don’t run past next summer. He needs to be gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, the Knicks are the ugly girl at the dance. If they want to get a pretty good player, they’d be willing to do it by hook or by crook. If he opts in, I can totally see them calling SA. I’d be willing to do anything involving a young player or draft pick, and contracts that don’t run past next summer. He needs to be gone.
    I wouldn't give up a young player or picks. His contract expires at the end of theyear

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ntilikina is 22. Where would he be drafted if he was just getting drafted this year?

He's actually 21, will be 22 in July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't give up a young player or picks. His contract expires at the end of theyear
    How else are the Knicks going to get a player who was a multi time All Star and All NBA? They’ve struck out again, and again, and again. Someone mentioned that NY has the Clippers pick, which would be #27. Package that with Ntilikina, a player they’ve been reportedly trying to move, and maybe Harkless as a salary offset so that DD doesn’t absorb all of their caproom. It’s not a huge haul for either team, but we get rid of DeRozan and get a prospect to evaluate who is already there defensively plus a late first rounder, and they get a shot at having a star maybe stay after this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Imho, no.
    Nope. Especially if New York would be getting the “better player” right away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Especially if New York would be getting the “better player” right away
    Depends on your version of the better player. DeRozan has proven to be a terrible fit here, and he makes a load of money. He will NOT be on the team after the following season. I’d rather offload him, take on a prospect on an ending contract, another ending contract, and maybe a late first rounder. Just getting RID of DeRozan ads weight to the deal. It opens up playing time for Keldon, Lonnie, White, and DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on your version of the better player. DeRozan has proven to be a terrible fit here, and he makes a load of money. He will NOT be on the team after the following season. I’d rather offload him, take on a prospect on an ending contract, another ending contract, and maybe a late first rounder. Just getting RID of DeRozan ads weight to the deal. It opens up playing time for Keldon, Lonnie, White, and DJ.
    A lot of positives for moving him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dolan is still the owner but a lot of the Knicks management has turned over recently. Maybe they will be more open to dealing with the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is not going anywhere. Salary cap issues are going to be a big deal over the next couple years and DDR will be lucky to make half as much somewhere else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a last resort type package. I'd rather attempt to expand it to a 3 team trade . . .

To Pistons: White, 11, 27
    To Knicks: DeRozan
    To Spurs: Ntilikina, 5, Thomas
    I like that trade tbh.

-Knicks keep their pick plus get DDR and get rid of Ntilikina- who they probably see as a negative asset at this point.

-Pistons move their top five pick but get to extra assets to move back just six spots- including a PG that they desperately need.

-Spurs get Ntilikina, 5, and Thomas who is supposed to be a good defender. 5 is probably high enough to get them Avidija who can slot in as the starting 3 next season with Murray, Walker, Lyles and LMA alongside him in the SL.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that trade tbh.

-Knicks keep their pick plus get DDR and get rid of Ntilikina- who they probably see as a negative asset at this point.

-Pistons move their top five pick but get to extra assets to move back just six spots- including a PG that they desperately need.

-Spurs get Ntilikina, 5, and Thomas who is supposed to be a good defender. 5 is probably high enough to get them Avidija who can slot in as the starting 3 next season with Murray, Walker, Lyles and LMA alongside him in the SL.
    The biggest or most likely hurdle is probably the Knicks wanting DeRozan in the first place because he makes no sense for them.

That's the type of trade it'd probably take for the Spurs to move DeRozan though, where they can get back a possible core building block (and with the possible exception of Gordon, they probably can't straight up). Anything short of that and they probably foolishly play out next season and let him walk.

Thread Information