Page 61 of 115 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2866
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could play Precious with Samanic but you could not play him with Poodle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could play Precious with Samanic but you could not play him with Poodle.
    You could also move up and play Obi with Poeltl and draft Reed or Perry in the 2nd and play either along side Samanic.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real talk: When was the last time the Spurs actually drafted someone too small for their position? Maybe DeShaun Thomas in 2013 or Denmon in 2012? Just seems like a weird accusation.
    Keldon.

Lol no, you make a great point. But we are still small at everything except point guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real talk: When was the last time the Spurs actually drafted someone too small for their position? Maybe DeShaun Thomas in 2013 or Denmon in 2012? Just seems like a weird accusation.
    I think the issue is playing someone too small (Forbes, Mills as SG's and assorted 2's played as 3's and even 4's (eg. Derozan as a 4)), rather than drafting too small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the players out of the top 7 (the potential impact guys), Precious may be the most interesting.

He's big and strong and seems to have a motor -- pretty unusual.

Not the quickest guy in the world but plays efficiently and smart. Could do a lot worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Their star perimeter player is the most averse three point shooter in the league, they can't afford a single more position to don't shoot 3's.
    I'm not picking a draft pick that has to accomodate to a player like DeRozan who's at the best, off the team this off-season, and at worst off the team by next off-season. Perhaps i was bad wording on my part, I was thinking more about the young core, players that (whether good or bad) you can build around for the future. Having said that, I don't see what's the bad fit of Precious and our guards, especially since I see him developing an outside shot sometime in the near future. Though obviously Obi Toppin would be the number 1 match for this team...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could also move up and play Obi with Poeltl and draft Reed or Perry in the 2nd and play either along side Samanic.
    I like the way you think I am really high on Reed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the players out of the top 7 (the potential impact guys), Precious may be the most interesting.

He's big and strong and seems to have a motor -- pretty unusual.

Not the quickest guy in the world but plays efficiently and smart. Could do a lot worse.
    Never heard of the guy. Might be the one time in my life where I watched zero college basketball. But a quick youtube search and he's exactly what I want. A rim runner and super atheletic. He's my new #1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren't going to trade DeRozan to move up four spots. Unless they legit consider Murray negative value, they definitely aren't going to be adding him into the deal. I get that Spurs fans are down on their players, but neither of those guys really has that low of stock around the league.
    I said DeRozan or Murray + 11.

Murray moving the Spurs from 11 to 7 would likely be the peak of his stock, created by the perfect storm (supposedly weak draft near the top, a team in need of a "PG" and assets period and an executive from an organization obsessed with athleticism).

DeRozan, again I view it like, if he can be turned into a young, potentially core piece, good luck doing better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams are going to move down four spots for a protected first. That's not the peak of Murray's value at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams are going to move down four spots for a protected first. That's not the peak of Murray's value at all.
    Murray's contract is a killer. He could make it palatable if he commits to being a 3 and D type, but you and I both know that's not happening, at least not here/now.

With a protected 1st, it's like a combination of a car before it's driven off the lot (yet to depreciate in value) and a lottery ticket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally got around to watching more of Saddiq Bey... And it's still a no for me, dawg. He absolutely cannot dribble in traffic. When he gets passed the ball, he takes two dribbles towards the basket, sees someone in his way, and passes it to the next guy. I get that he's a decent shooter, but guys like this are a dime a dozen. I tried to see if his defense would redeem him, but it wasnt anything special.

I watched more of Isaiah too and unfortunately spotted some flaws... He ball watches like crazy on defense and just stands there in the paint unaware of where his man is. Not good. Still, him being double teamed on offense is no joke. Just disappointed at his defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saddiq Bey is this subs wet dream since kawhi left, 6-8 216 pounds 7ft wingspan, can shoot dribble and defend on perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saddiq Bey is this subs wet dream since kawhi left, 6-8 216 pounds 7ft wingspan, can shoot dribble and defend on perimeter.
    He can't dribble.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy who thinks Achiuwa is or can be a combo forward would think a 6'7 216 6'11'' wingspan guy, with plus spot up 3-point shooting and decent defense, is dime a dozen.

That said, his lack of athleticism and strength probably means he'll be no better an option to defend overpowering big wings than Johnson or possibly even White.

That's why I'm leaning Nesmith now because of the dynamic shooting and the ancillary play making it unlocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy who thinks Achiuwa is or can be a combo forward would think a 6'7 216 6'11'' wingspan guy, with plus spot up 3-point shooting and decent defense, is dime a dozen.

That said, his lack of athleticism and strength probably means he'll be no better an option to defend overpowering big wings than Johnson or possibly even White.

That's why I'm leaning Nesmith now because of the dynamic shooting and the ancillary play making it unlocks.
    My belief that Achiuwa can be a combo forward is wishful thinking and I've said that in a previous post. If there's a 5% chance he can be, given his athletic ability and attacking in transition, it's a worthy gamble.

I've been watching Nesmith too, and was about to post in the Nesmith thread. If there had to be a choice between the two 6'6" players: Vassell or Nesmith. Nesmith is the easy choice. Nesmith is a taller Lonnie Walker without the verticality. He may not be as fundamentally sound on defense as Vassell, but I'm more confident that with his build and frame, he can be a more versatile defender than Vassell.

If you had to choose between Bey and Nesmith. You choose Nesmith 10 out of 10. Bey 's dribbling ability is piss poor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My belief that Achiuwa can be a combo forward is wishful thinking and I've said that in a previous post. If there's a 5% chance he can be, given his athletic ability and attacking in transition, it's a worthy gamble.

I've been watching Nesmith too, and was about to post in the Nesmith thread. If there had to be a choice between the two 6'6" players: Vassell or Nesmith. Nesmith is the easy choice. Nesmith is a taller Lonnie Walker without the verticality. He may not be as fundamentally sound on defense as Vassell, but I'm more confident that with his build and frame, he can be a more versatile defender than Vassell.

If you had to choose between Bey and Nesmith. You choose Nesmith 10 out of 10. Bey 's dribbling ability is piss poor
    Maybe he can defend some of the overpowering big wings, but he's still a four's body with a five's game, so he either plays next to a floor spacing rim protector (as Chinook said) or as the lone big.

I'm not down on Vassell or Bey and I'd be fine with them, but I'd prefer someone more dynamic than the former. A Green type is perfect when you have an abundance of play making, like the "beautiful game". On the other hand, Vassell could be Murray insurance if he can credibly defend PG's.

For Bey's role, handle isn't that important. Sure, it needs to improve some, but if Murray can supposedly play "PG" and receive $64 million with his sorry excuse for a handle 3 years after being drafted, then it shouldn't be an impediment for a 3 and D wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he can defend some of the overpowering big wings, but he's still a four's body with a five's game, so he either plays next to a floor spacing rim protector (as Chinook said) or as the lone big.

I'm not down on Vassell or Bey and I'd be fine with them, but I'd prefer someone more dynamic than the former. A Green type is perfect when you have an abundance of play making, like the "beautiful game". On the other hand, Vassell could be Murray insurance if he can credibly defend PG's.

For Bey's role, handle isn't that important. Sure, it needs to improve some, but if Murray can supposedly play "PG" and receive $64 million with his sorry excuse for a handle 3 years after being drafted, then it shouldn't be an impediment for a 3 and D wing.
    Yes, I agreed with Chinook on that too, saying that someone with Samanic's realized potential would do great with Precious. I just disagree with the whole "Precious has a center's game" thing, when I've mentioned over and over how he attacks the basket... There's a perception that he's DeAndre Jordan on that end which is simply untrue... Hes at the very least a 4. Saying he's a 3 on offense is a reach, which I've said.

Regarding handle and 3 and D... See, this is where I stand apart from you and a few others... I expect a lot more than a 3 and D type from an 11th pick and I hope the Spurs are too. I get that people just want to go for a sure thing, but the Spurs need to aim higher. This is my draft philosophy, and as you read in my posts, its all about hoping a player like Precious with his physical attributes can be a unicorn, its all about hoping a player like Patrick can have a trajectory like Kawhi, its all about hoping a player like Isaiah Stewart can be a beast on offense like he was in college. I'm trying to aim big, and any sliver of evidence these prospects can show that they can be a star, I say go for it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    objective

I'm watching a full game of Okoro now, and I dont think he looks 6'4". His wingspan looks incredibly short, and I just confirmed this and wow. Dude has no length at all. I won't let this turn me away from him yet, there can be some short dudes like Chuck Hayes who can be beasts on defense...

The dude is obviously not a shooter, though he can slash to the basket with nice dribbling skills...

Not that impressed yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't dribble.
    Neither could Kawhi when he got here. That’s what player development is for.

There are zero finished players in this draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I agreed with Chinook on that too, saying that someone with Samanic's realized potential would do great with Precious. I just disagree with the whole "Precious has a center's game" thing, when I've mentioned over and over how he attacks the basket... There's a perception that he's DeAndre Jordan on that end which is simply untrue... Hes at the very least a 4. Saying he's a 3 on offense is a reach, which I've said.

Regarding handle and 3 and D... See, this is where I stand apart from you and a few others... I expect a lot more than a 3 and D type from an 11th pick and I hope the Spurs are too. I get that people just want to go for a sure thing, but the Spurs need to aim higher. This is my draft philosophy, and as you read in my posts, its all about hoping a player like Precious with his physical attributes can be a unicorn, its all about hoping a player like Patrick can have a trajectory like Kawhi, its all about hoping a player like Isaiah Stewart can be a beast on offense like he was in college. I'm trying to aim big, and any sliver of evidence these prospects can show that they can be a star, I say go for it...
    Role playing center doesn't automatically mean a player can't dribble, it just his archetype can't play next to a strict rim runner. Look no further than Adebayo, who was starting up front next to a floor spacing center, in Leonard and is now playing as the lone big next to Crowder.

Ideally, sure you'd like to do better at 11, but it's not always available and it's still a nice piece. You either draft your own 3 and D wings or you end up overpaying for middling ones. I generally agree with swinging for the fences and relative to their spot they've mostly done that recently, but you can't force it either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright,

I'm falling in love with the idea of drafting Okoro.

Unlike Vassell, it was not hard to find footage of Okoro guarding taller players.

See 52:09

Okoro doesn't have length, but he has strength and great positioning. The way he defends is similar to Derrick White. Meanwhile I liken Vassell's defense to DJ (where theyre constantly trying to get steals from passing lanes)

This is an example of a guy you were describing when length is not a major factor, Chinook. I agree with you now and I'm reshaping my idea that length is super critical. It isn't when you're a defender like White. It does matter if your style of defense is to get steals. I have always preferred the former.

I would be comfortable with drafting Okoro if he drops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither could Kawhi when he got here. That’s what player development is for.

There are zero finished players in this draft.
    This isnt true. Watch Kawhi's college tape. He was doing way more with the ball than Bey does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Updated tier list:

Tier 1
    Deni Avdija
    Obi Toppin
    Isaac Okoro

Tier 2
    Patrick Williams
    Precious Achiuwa
    Aaron Nesmith

Tier 3
    Isaiah Stewart
    Jalen Smith
    Tyler Bey
    Robert Woodard II
    Zeke Nnaji
    Daniel Oturu
    Xavier Tillman
    Reggie Perry
    Paul Reed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need an impact player, like, yesterday. Impact players aren't usually found at 11. Spurs need to make a deal somehow.
    Cosign!!

Thread Information