Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh. The Ruble has recovered everything it lost.

On the other hand, I didn't jump out and buy a bunch of Rubles when they were in the tank. I didn't knwo he had nerve damage, but if that's true I would probably let someone else invest in him.
    Russia has exerted a ton of measures to get the ruble back, like an absurd 20% interest rate and forcing domestic firms to convert immediately to rubles after international trade. They're propping the poor currency up and it's going to crash eventually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah would be lucky to even get that offer. And dumb to turn it down. Trading a Top 10 center on Poeltl for Gobert is pretty stupid. There are ZERO things Gobert does better than Jak.
    You're better than this. Sure, Gobert's overpaid, but for one thing, he can actually handle a traditional style big (say Valancuinas) going at him with intent to score...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Russia has exerted a ton of measures to get the ruble back, like an absurd 20% interest rate and forcing domestic firms to convert immediately to rubles after international trade. They're propping the poor currency up and it's going to crash eventually.

Oh, man, I didn't want to get into a political discussion. Just saying that if Beal really does have nerve damage, it sort of changes the calculus. If he fully recovers, I'm happy for him, but if he doesn't that would be a huge disaster for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malcontent stars are the exact sort that does not want or that SA should not want.
    Just when you think Spurs Talk doesn't have anyone with common sense, a new star commentator appears.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lavine is leaving they are going to have to blow it up. Not sure they want our trash (McDermott) and JRich and a first so start their rebuild.

If Lavine decides he wants San Antonio first we may have some leverage via sign and trade, especially if we also have the cap to sign him outright. If it’s a race between 3-4 teams your going to have to entice the Bulls with young assets and draft picks.
    Actually I thought trade and sign Lavine is quite a good preposition for them with JRich, McD and a 1st pick (their own 2025 pick). If Lavine does not sign with them they have quite a limited option for next season. They might as well roll with the trade, with JRich taking over as SF they would have quite a mean D. J Rich might not be a prolific scorer but he provide decent O especially on 3 and cut. It would allow their SL to be more balanced. Also they have a good 3pt shooter in the reserve which could be a microwave scorer. If the experiment fail they could trade J Rich at trade line day for some asset and then do the same maybe 1 year later with McD. So instead of letting Lavine just walk free they have a chance to see whether they could go deep in playoff or flip some players for more asset for their rebuilt.

As for the Spurs, if we MAX Lavine then we should not be wasting time and need to sort out our team to bring in players to balance the team more. With this trade we could move McD and free up a slot to get players to balance our team. Also IMO we would need to move KJ out of the SL. We should not have more than 1 weak perimeter defender (I hate KJ as a PF even more). Get Primo to work out his new 3 shoot mechanics this off season and get him as the new SF with the role of solely 3 and D (especially on ball D). Then sort out a PF for the SL and let Vassell be the main guy of the reserve line up. Move Jak if required to get our PF and draft Sure or sign J Smith. With a competent PF, he will help in some of the D lost by Jak but with Zollin at 5, it helps to open up the lane for DjM and Lavine. End of the day if we wanted to sign Lavine, we need to rework our lineup.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malcontent stars are the exact sort that does not want or that SA should not want.
    Just when you think Spurs Talk doesn't have anyone with common sense, a new star commentator appears.

Is Lavine malcontent? I haven't seen him trashing the Bulls, making demands like Autist or The Brow. Maybe he has, and I just haven't seen it.

The vast majority of this forum think that we were well rid of DeRozan. What if he saw the same thing? If the team is a mess already, and they go out and hire a net-negative with a big salary, and you think you'd like to go play for (for example) the Spurs and Pop... does that make you a malcontent or a compe or? I don't know about the guy's character, or his health. I truly don't. But I do know that he's been a really good player. And if PATFO can't sort out the character and health issues, what chance do they have anyway?

As for getting Lavine AND dumping McBucket's contract, all in one fell swoop? Yeah, gimme some of that. I'm not sure it could happen unless the Bulls hire Isaiah Thomas as GM, but I guess we can dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the price is right, why not tho I'm not high on him.
    But it concerns me that it'll require a sign-and-trade (like with Derozan last season) with Bulls means Spurs have to give something as well like pick/s or future pick/s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Lavine malcontent? I haven't seen him trashing the Bulls, making demands like Autist or The Brow. Maybe he has, and I just haven't seen it.

The vast majority of this forum think that we were well rid of DeRozan. What if he saw the same thing? If the team is a mess already, and they go out and hire a net-negative with a big salary, and you think you'd like to go play for (for example) the Spurs and Pop... does that make you a malcontent or a compe or? I don't know about the guy's character, or his health. I truly don't. But I do know that he's been a really good player. And if PATFO can't sort out the character and health issues, what chance do they have anyway?

As for getting Lavine AND dumping McBucket's contract, all in one fell swoop? Yeah, gimme some of that. I'm not sure it could happen unless the Bulls hire Isaiah Thomas as GM, but I guess we can dream.
    I don’t know if Levine is a malcontent or not, but I was responding to a poster saying to no go after him because some malcontent superstar will inevitably become available and would somehow be a better fit for the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lavine is leaving they are going to have to blow it up. Not sure they want our trash (McDermott) and JRich and a first so start their rebuild.

If Lavine decides he wants San Antonio first we may have some leverage via sign and trade, especially if we also have the cap to sign him outright. If it’s a race between 3-4 teams your going to have to entice the Bulls with young assets and draft picks.
    I disagree. I don’t think they feel that they have to blow it up if he leaves, which is probably why they haven’t maxed him yet. I’m not suggesting they’re a contender, but they’ve invested into that Vuc/DDR pairing for another 2 years, and have good young pieces Ball, Williams, Caruso, and even White. But real talk: they weren’t a contender with Levine either.

Agree we have leverage as one of few teams with cap space. The cap teams this summer aside (or including us depending on who you ask) are pretty ty/meh situations this summer (Orlando, OKC, DET, Houston), so onus will be on Zach to do the heavy lifting to find a sign and trade in a more attractive market that CHI would also accept. Or he can just say F it, signal intent to sign here, and put CHI in a tough spot of taking our meh package or lose him for nothing.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't see talking about keeping one's options open as a free agent as being a malcontent at all. Real malcontents undermine their own team while they are still under contract.

Personally, I think Lavine is worth a max slot given the Spurs' roster makeup and cap situation, but only if this surgery causes him to miss little if any time and he will be 100% once he's recovered. Signing someone with a chronic knee injury for 4/160 would be a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaVine is a decent player but I'm sure the spurs are weighing all their options which may or may not not include spending 40 million plus on just one player. They are a rather conservative organization and spending that much money on one player seems at bit out of the box for them. This is the cost of a player in this new NBA and I'm not sure the spurs have adjusted to that idea just yet. We'll see in a few months.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why exactly would Zach Lavine come to San Antonio in the first place?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max contract and to play with his Seattle buddy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breakfast tacos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah isn’t trading Gobert for those scraps lol
    They'll trade him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't sign LaVine for a max this summer. I see Demar Derozen v2.0; a very good scorer but not a winner. I hope that the FO has learned that lesson, especially with LaVine needing knee surgery...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he was hurt but Levine looked scared/worried as Bucks surged on Bulls

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't sign LaVine for a max this summer. I see Demar Derozen v2.0; a very good scorer but not a winner. I hope that the FO has learned that lesson, especially with LaVine needing knee surgery...
    Lavine can hit three and you have to guard him out there, instantly makes him a way better fit for this team than DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lavine can hit three and you have to guard him out there, instantly makes him a way better fit for this team than DeRozan.
    Funny how that seems to go over ppls head. 40% on 7-8 attempts the last 3 years and counting. He can get his 3 ball off in many ways. The DDR comparisons are weak. Also he’d likely be playing exclusively at the 2 not 3/4 like DDR.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny how that seems to go over ppls head. 40% on 7-8 attempts the last 3 years and counting. He can get his 3 ball off in many ways. The DDR comparisons are weak. Also he’d likely be playing exclusively at the 2 not 3/4 like DDR.
    No, I have not missed that LaVine can shoot the 3. Have you missed that he's been in the league 7 years, played 1 playoff series (lost 4-1), and never posted a season +/- that's positive? He's not a guy who wins ball games, and thus I am not comfortable paying him $160M over 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hearing repeated 'because there is no one else out there'
    and
    "Have to do it now"
    Panic buying.

Don't like the price tag nor double knee surgeries.
    Would be immediate boost for 2023, but then up is pretty much the only way the Pop-Bryn Era Spurs can now go.

Will another good FA come along in the next year or two? I'm gonna say yes. If not, will own it then.
    Just as you can own Levines knee blowing or otherwise tank if so.

If Levine leads Spurs to Championship i will have koriwhat tattoo Pop Rules on my anus.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to let the championship or bust mentality go imo. I’d rather be a team fighting for a top 4 seed and being in the mix of winning 2 or 3 playoff series and losing conference semis or finals than being a treadmill playin team for years while hoping middling prospects picked in the 10-14 draft range somehow miraculously turn into superstars.

The only team that has won an NBA championship without a top 6-7 player in the NBA in the last 30 years are the 2014 Spurs, and the 2004 Pistons. That’s it.

Everyone NBA champion since 1991 had Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Wade (with Shaq), Kobe (with Pau), Dirk, Lebron, Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Giannis. All top 7 players, arguably top 5 players if you count Curry, Wade as top 5.

The Spurs can’t wait around for one of those players before they start considering signing all-stars to big money contracts.

If you are in the mix you can get lucky with injuries like the Heat did in 2020 or the Bucks in 2021 and make NBA finals. You can also get lucky with a disgruntled superstar and trade for them if you have assets like a Lavine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive had a second thought. I trust the Spurs medical staff, but what I don’t want to see is a Chandler Parsons situation, where Dallas didn’t want to re-sign him for Dirk’s twilight because they suspected the knees were a time bomb, Memphis maxed him out and the guy never played to his old standards again. I trust the Spurs medical staff to catch any medical concerns. If they aren’t interested I’ll assume this was a reason.
    How can you trust our medical staff after the way they mistreated Nephew.....LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ it’s not about winning now it’s about landing a marquee free agent.

Imagine being a virgin who doesn't get girls and turning down a pretty girl who might actually like you because you have a crush in the prom queen.
    That pretty girl comes at a very high cost though. We aren't talking about the cutie next door, who knows you and will probably give you a discount. No, the pretty girl you speak of comes and a very high price, so much so that we have to mortgage a lot of our promising future just to be with her. NO THANK YOU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pretty girl comes at a very high cost though. We aren't talking about the cutie next door, who knows you and will probably give you a discount. No, the pretty girl you speak of comes and a very high price, so much so that we have to mortgage a lot of our promising future just to be with her. NO THANK YOU.
    What promising future?

Thread Information