Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true Spurs fans would much rather have 2 older bench players who earn 12-15 million each per year
    I don't want any older players until we make the playoffs. There's no point, as they're usually support players, and not someone who will vault you into the playoffs.

I LIKE Josh Richardson, and I want them to monetize him, as in the long run, the pick(s) would be more valuable than one more season of Josh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely agree that the Spurs won't tank, if tanking means purposely losing games. That's for sure. But they won't need to tank if they stick with the current roster. There's no one on this team that creates a mismatch game after game. Solid role players across the board but certainly no dawgs who can lead a team to four wins in a 7-game series, much less a championship. But in 2023, that can change. So I'm hoping they stockpile capital and assets toward that.
    The current roster had a slightly positive net rating. BBREF had our expected record at 41-41 last year. Sean said on the telecast of one of the last few games that even adding nothing, this team will be better next year. We'll be adding a lottery pick, and probably be doing some trades and non-splashy FA signings.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    deleted, wrong thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want any older players until we make the playoffs. There's no point, as they're usually support players, and not someone who will vault you into the playoffs.

I LIKE Josh Richardson, and I want them to monetize him, as in the long run, the pick(s) would be more valuable than one more season of Josh.
    You make a good point. Where I differ (and this does not necessarily apply to Josh) is I am an advocate of having a veteran presence on a young team to help mentor/acclimate the guys to the league. With our culture, you want a solid citizen type. I had hopes last year Thad Young would be that guy and while he was not what I would call a malcontent, he did not want that role. Clearly they were saving him for a trade chip and it worked.

I am thinking back to the Mario Elie or Jerome Kersey type that was around in the early days of the Duncan dynasty. I think that is why the guys get along with Josh Richardson so well is he is a good guy, not over the hill and has been around and doesn't cop an at ude about his role. That being said, I agree his value is in fetching us an asset down the road. Clear as mud?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The current roster had a slightly positive net rating. BBREF had our expected record at 41-41 last year. Sean said on the telecast of one of the last few games that even adding nothing, this team will be better next year. We'll be adding a lottery pick, and probably be doing some trades and non-splashy FA signings.
    It is all relative and let’s not forget some of the good fortune we had to even make the play-in. Reasons to be optimistic this team finally bottoms out:

- Healthy Lakers
    - Healthy Clippers
    - Healthy and retooled Blazers
    - Healthy Nuggets
    - Healthy Pelicans

We will be right back to battling Sacramento, OKC and Houston for the worst team in the West but all of them will atleast have young cornerstones to work with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make a good point. Where I differ (and this does not necessarily apply to Josh) is I am an advocate of having a veteran presence on a young team to help mentor/acclimate the guys to the league. With our culture, you want a solid citizen type. I had hopes last year Thad Young would be that guy and while he was not what I would call a malcontent, he did not want that role. Clearly they were saving him for a trade chip and it worked.

I am thinking back to the Mario Elie or Jerome Kersey type that was around in the early days of the Duncan dynasty. I think that is why the guys get along with Josh Richardson so well is he is a good guy, not over the hill and has been around and doesn't cop an at ude about his role. That being said, I agree his value is in fetching us an asset down the road. Clear as mud?
    Vets like Mario Elie, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Willis etc etc don’t come to bottom 5 teams these days unless paid a premium unfortunately.

Might as well just pay a retired vet in a coaching capacity if you are this talentless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vets like Mario Elie, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Willis etc etc don’t come to bottom 5 teams these days unless paid a premium unfortunately.

Might as well just pay a retired vet in a coaching capacity if you are this talentless.
    And that is another thought that has been in the back of my mind, with Becky gone, it would be nice to bring in a former NBA player to replace her as an assistant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that is another thought that has been in the back of my mind, with Becky gone, it would be nice to bring in a former NBA player to replace her as an assistant.
    Yeah an internship in coaching while mentoring the young guys.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our current assistant coaches could be good, and maybe it's the new approved attire coaches can wear, but they look like aerobic instructors from Gold's Gym. It seems odd that we can't get an assistant coach with any legitimate experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what betonline is basing their odds on. personally, i don't want ayton but i have no idea as to whether or not the spurs would take a flyer on him. i also don't know who the spurs would send back if the suns insisted on a sign and trade.
    Phoenix can't really insist on anything if we drop an offer sheet. They can only match or decline.

(not advocating this course of action)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should be trying to capitalize on the falling out with Ayton and Phoenix. Yes I know there can be a risk as (but but he's not cultured enough" then again maybe not but there is no one better max type player with talent that Spurs could find in Free agency.

If you really want to compete in Murray's time line they really need to try luring in these players to play with him. Maybe a little" Spurs "culture might do him some good and if not he would be tradeable down the line. Gotta take some risks to be compe ive in this league.
    It's not that he's not cultured enough, he's jut flat not good enough. He's a traditional big man on offense, meaning he needs to be spoonfed, and he's a meh rebounder and defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that he's not cultured enough, he's jut flat not good enough. He's a traditional
    big man on offense, meaning he needs to be spoonfed, and he's a meh rebounder and defender.
    Yeah I mean look at how well other bigs faired when Ayton was down. CP3 is a pretty damn good traditional PG.

DJ and Jak had a nice rapport this year and I don’t want to take anything away from Jak as he sets great screens and really worked on his offensive game but I can sit here and argue Ayton leaves Phoenix and becomes better offensively here.

I will argue there are other cheaper alternatives at the 5 DJ could probably spoon feed on that side of the ball however.
    Last edited by KingKev; 05-24-2022 at 12:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah if the Spurs can't get Lavine or Ayton then there best best is to get in the trade action and be a facilitator in taking a bad contract from someone and getting draft picks for that contract.
    We could probably lift PHO's 2024 FRP in about 5 minutes for taking Saric's $9.67M if they decide to pay or match Ayton, assuming it wasn't us that dropped the offer. They have 9 players signed for like $122M without Ayton. If they flip Saric and sign Ayton, they're still at 9 players, around $150M payroll, and have to sign 4 more players to NBA contracts. The beauty is, he's healthy now and can play minutes, and could probably be flipped at the deadline for another asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this has been discussed already, but what would folks' Durant offer be? He's obviously the franchise centerpiece the team would need, and he and Murray would be a good start. But you'd think the Spurs would need to find a way to get a third star around them to make it even worth entertaining. You'd definitely want to keep the win-now players on the roster, but you also can't afford to trade away the future. Is there a middle ground? I don't know. Ideally, the Spurs would sign someone with cap space and then trade for Durant, but I don't know that there's anyone on the market that would fit. I don't love Lavine in that role, for example. I guess if they wanted to be insane, they could try to trade for Durant and squeeze Irving into the remaining cap space, but that's not a max slot. It would be a contender (similar to what the Nets could expect had Simmons come back), but I don't think I'd put them down as a Finals lock, and the cost would be dramatic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could probably lift PHO's 2024 FRP in about 5 minutes for taking Saric's $9.67M if they decide to pay or match Ayton, assuming it wasn't us that dropped the offer. They have 9 players signed for like $122M without Ayton. If they flip Saric and sign Ayton, they're still at 9 players, around $150M payroll, and have to sign 4 more players to NBA contracts. The beauty is, he's healthy now and can play minutes, and could probably be flipped at the deadline for another asset.
    Saric isn't actually healthy now. He had another surgery this month...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this has been discussed already, but what would folks' Durant offer be? He's obviously the franchise centerpiece the team would need, and he and Murray would be a good start. But you'd think the Spurs would need to find a way to get a third star around them to make it even worth entertaining. You'd definitely want to keep the win-now players on the roster, but you also can't afford to trade away the future. Is there a middle ground? I don't know. Ideally, the Spurs would sign someone with cap space and then trade for Durant, but I don't know that there's anyone on the market that would fit. I don't love Lavine in that role, for example. I guess if they wanted to be insane, they could try to trade for Durant and squeeze Irving into the remaining cap space, but that's not a max slot. It would be a contender (similar to what the Nets could expect had Simmons come back), but I don't think I'd put them down as a Finals lock, and the cost would be dramatic.
    3 firsts (this year or future or combo) + 2 of Tre/Devin/Keldon/Primo + any other salary filler needed

Not even sure that offer gets you in the convo...but I actually think Lavine would work pretty great with Durant/DJ and the Spurs are probably a top 3 seed lock in the West next year tbh

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Something like 2023 1st, 2025 Bulls 1st, 2026 1st + any 2 of Keldon/Poeltl/Vassell/Primo and additional salary filler

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen, the Spurs would be able to go into the off-season with the cap to sign Lavine outright while also maintaining the contracts to trade for Durant. They'd technically have the cap to sign all of their picks and then make the trade, but I can't imagine 2022 picks not being part of the package. The Spurs could end up with a rotation of:

Murray, Jones
    Lavine, Primo
    Vassell,
    Durant
    Poeltl

With whatever picks remaining, the room exception and minimum contracts available to supplement it. That's obviously a very interesting starting lineup, and I'm sure there would be a number of ring-chasers available to fill some gaps. Some of the depth guys who were cut to get the cap space for Lavine might be able to be brought back cheaply. If the team stays healthy, they have a chance to come out of the West, but I don't think they'd be favorites.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's an interesting proposition. I would think Durant would have to request a trade and have us on the short list to be viable. I'd think the package would be 3 1sts and 2 pick swaps, KJ or Devin and Primo + the salary to make it a legal trade. I'd personally prefer Lavine over Kyrie but ultimately I'd take either if thats what it takes to get the deal done.

A DJ, Lavine, Devin, KD, and Poetl would be very interesting and I think the balance would make them better than what Brooklyn put on the floor this year. A couple interesting rookies from the picks we didn't include in the deal and a couple well placed vets would round out the team quite nicely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen, the Spurs would be able to go into the off-season with the cap to sign Lavine outright while also maintaining the contracts to trade for Durant. They'd technically have the cap to sign all of their picks and then make the trade, but I can't imagine 2022 picks not being part of the package. The Spurs could end up with a rotation of:

Murray, Jones
    Lavine, Primo
    Vassell,
    Durant
    Poeltl

With whatever picks remaining, the room exception and minimum contracts available to supplement it. That's obviously a very interesting starting lineup, and I'm sure there would be a number of ring-chasers available to fill some gaps. Some of the depth guys who were cut to get the cap space for Lavine might be able to be brought back cheaply. If the team stays healthy, they have a chance to come out of the West, but I don't think they'd be favorites.
    Pipe dream lineup but sign me up tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pipe dream lineup but sign me up tbh
    The package would be: McDermott, Richardson, Johnson, 9 and 20 (as signed players to be trade; or Langford can be added in as ballast) along with 23 unprotected, 24 swap, and both of SA's and Chicago's picks in 25. That might not be the best offer, but I could see it being way more compe ive than fans may assume.

So that leaves 25 and 38 for 23 and some random seconds for the next few years after that. That should be useful for getting some win-now depth. I'd even use the room exception to get another wing and rely on minimum contracts to fill up the center depth.

Maybe:

Murray, Jones, Alondes Williams (38)
    Lavine, Primo, Langford (assuming the Nets didn't need him for the trade, just some depth guy if they did)
    Vassell, Lonnie Walker (room exception -- and yes, I went there), Wieskamp (vet min)
    Durant, Liddell (25), KBD (vet min previously cut for cap reasons)
    Poeltl, Gorgui Dieng (vet min), Ca

Getting Dieng or another center to take the min is definitely the hard part about this. That may cost their RE, but they definitely should try to spend it on a sixth man, since scoring depth is basically non-existent on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did i miss a durant rumour?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah right
    I look this thread at the tail end and find out the Spurs are signing Lavine and trading for Durant
    Amazing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You did. Apparently he hasn't spoken to the Nets front office since the season ended. They don't want to give Irving a long-term deal, and some folks believe that would make Durant ask out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I get it, but at some point you need some vets otherwise its the inmates running the asylum. I think the idea of someone like JRich (and to a way lesser extent, McBuckets) as that locker room mentor role... right up until the deadline where we monetize them, as you put it. (I'm ready to deal McBuckets now, but I doubt there are any takers for even a future 2nd at this point).

For the same reason, I wouldn't mind someone like Ibaka on the bench.

Thread Information