Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG
    18 34.8 18.9 8.1 18.0 44.8 1.2 3.9 31.4 1.6 2.4 67.4 8.4 8.1 2.1 0.5 2.4 8 3 20.15
    PG
    14 35.2 25.0 9.3 21.4 43.3 2.6 8.2 31.3 3.9 5.6 69.2 8.4 8.0 1.3 0.7 4.3 8 1 21.62
    Which is the MVP Candidate and which is the Spurs player? The bottom line has better pts ft% blk per. The top line is better in fg% 3p% ast stl to.

The top line is Dejaunte Murray and the bottom line is Luka Doncic.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG
    18 34.8 18.9 8.1 18.0 44.8 1.2 3.9 31.4 1.6 2.4 67.4 8.4 8.1 2.1 0.5 2.4 8 3 20.15
    PG
    14 35.2 25.0 9.3 21.4 43.3 2.6 8.2 31.3 3.9 5.6 69.2 8.4 8.0 1.3 0.7 4.3 8 1 21.62
    Which is the MVP Candidate and which is the Spurs player? The bottom line has better pts ft% blk per. The top line is better in fg% 3p% ast stl to.

The top line is Dejaunte Murray and the bottom line is Luka Doncic.
    Luka’s gifted free throws due to his constant ing whining. Dejounte’s free throw attempts in comparison is a crime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is where stats don't tell the story. Murray is a very good player, but Donkic absolutely controls the game whenever he's in. His impact and gravity are tremendous.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Murray has been solid but let's not kid ourselves here. He is nowhere near Luka Doncic tier as a player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Difference is DJM is having a career year and Luka is struggling still. DJM is putting up fantastic counting stats though, and while his impact stats have been trending downwards, they're still solid overall. DeJounte has nothing to be ashamed of, even though he's definitely not Doncic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Doncic sees players around the arc, and hits them with accurate passes. Full Stop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Murray to the best player in the NBA is foolish. He’s already in serious consideration as a top 10 point guard in the NBA though, especially if he sustains or improves upon his current level of play. I’m not closed off to the possibility that he regresses. Anything can happen.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinge.../_/position/pg

What’s noteworthy here is that there are few, or maybe zero, players who play defense as well as Murray. People forget basketball is played on both ends of the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Murray to the best player in the NBA is foolish. He’s already in serious consideration as a top 10 point guard in the NBA though, especially if he sustains or improves upon his current level of play. I’m not closed off to the possibility that he regresses. Anything can happen.

What’s noteworthy here is that there are few, or maybe zero, players who play defense as well as Murray. People forget basketball is played on both ends of the court.

Our record won’t be good but it’ll be a damn travesty if DJ doesn’t make an all Def team

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I definitely would not consider luka to be the best player in the NBA. I dont even think he I would consider him top 5. People see him and are excited by his play. The extra media also helps hype him up. He is good but I would not put him in the top 5. dont know where I would rank him but can think of 5 I would put ahead without much work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our record won’t be good but it’ll be a damn travesty if DJ doesn’t make an all Def team
    He should have made it last year. I don’t care how good Thiybulle was, if you’re a one way bench player only playing 20 minutes a game, you have no business making All Anything.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Luka is the best player in the nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic makes the players around him better. This is the missing link for Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s quibbling over semantics. You’ll find a large group of people who think he’s the best. Consensus is definitely that he’s top 5 overall. Durant, Steph, Giannis… LeBron looks like he’s exiting that picture. Point stands, DJ is unfairly being compared to a guaranteed HOF. We don’t need to take it to extremes to understand where DJ is among other players. DJ is on his way to surpass players like DeAngelo Russell & DeAaron Fox (creeping up on SGA, too, if he doesn’t get his together), players who people swore DJ would never surpass. That’s the type of feat that should be acknowledged.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-28-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the point is that Luka Doncic is having an off year so far, along with the Mavs in general (they have a negative point differential). However, Luka will easily be a West All-Star starter by reputation alone but Dejounte Murray will probably not even make the all star game, even with similar stats.

Other probable all stars with similar or even worse stats than Dejounte include Russell Westbrook, Paul George, Donovan Mitc , Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, and Julius Randle. A lot of these guys are having a bad year so far, like Anthony Davis shooting 16.7% from 3, Bradley Beal shooting 26.9% from 3. I think Dejounte is definitely getting close to all star consideration but there are a lot of good guards in the west. He will probably need some west all star selections to be unable to play and need replacements to have a chance at getting in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the point is that Luka Doncic is having an off year so far, along with the Mavs in general (they have a negative point differential). However, Luka will easily be a West All-Star starter by reputation alone but Dejounte Murray will probably not even make the all star game, even with similar stats.

Other probable all stars with similar or even worse stats than Dejounte include Russell Westbrook, Paul George, Donovan Mitc , Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, and Julius Randle. A lot of these guys are having a bad year so far, like Anthony Davis shooting 16.7% from 3, Bradley Beal shooting 26.9% from 3. I think Dejounte is definitely getting close to all star consideration but there are a lot of good guards in the west. He will probably need some west all star selections to be unable to play and need replacements to have a chance at getting in.
    Still a stretch... Reputation matters and not like Spurs are close to play off contention either ...

Spurs and Dejonte are basically ignored on national stage...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic makes the players around him better. This is the missing link for Murray.
    Luka is surrounded by players that can hit open jumpers consistently. It's called "drafting well".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s quibbling over semantics. You’ll find a large group of people who think he’s the best. Consensus is definitely that he’s top 5 overall. Durant, Steph, Giannis… LeBron looks like he’s exiting that picture. Point stands, DJ is unfairly being compared to a guaranteed HOF. We don’t need to take it to extremes to understand where DJ is among other players. DJ is on his way to surpass players like DeAngelo Russell & DeAaron Fox (creeping up on SGA, too, if he doesn’t get his together), players who people swore DJ would never surpass. That’s the type of feat that should be acknowledged.
    And I'm sure they all are Maverick fans. He's nowhere near the best player in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it’s only Spurs fans who think he’s “nowhere close”

I can easily find articles from mainstream media or polls from the general NBA fan population indicating that he’s a top 5 player. It’s not worth the time or effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trust me, it's not only spurs players. I'll give you just 2 names... Giannis and Lebron. Do you think Luka is equal to them? And I don't think Lebron is the best player in the nba

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic has to be one of the most underrated players. no one has mentioned him in the top 5 yet i would say either him or steph is the best currently. after that you have GA, KD, and probably harden (though he is a little more of a stat padder). I would take any of those 5 over Luka for this year. There are still several more I would take before him but I could see more argument on those. Luka is not a good FT shooter. He shoots about the same as GA does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Dallas was so great at drafting how did they get to draft Doncic in the first place? The only other player the Mavs have drafted themselves in the last ten years worth a crap is Brunson - in the second round.

The Spurs have drafted many many more players who have had long careers in the NBA. Many of the Mavies picks outside of Doncic have simply washed out of the league. This includes lottery picks. Murray, Vassel, and Primo will likely be good rotation players, starters etc. for a long time. Kawhi the Nephew by himself just about outstrips anything Dallas has done in the last 20 years.

Remember Dennis Smith Jr.? On his way to being out of the league - 9th pick and can't get off the bench for Portland.

How bout last years #1 for Mavies - deep bench player. Can't even remember his name.

The Spurs will finally have a top ten pick for the first time in 25 years in next year's draft.

When you look at the history of these teams in this time frame, the Mavericks record of drafting and player development is atrocious.

BTW - Doncic is still a little b*tch who is not in great physical condition. His lack of conditioning will catch up to him over time. Very good player? Yes. Not much else to show for Mavie drafting.

The Spurs have not had an opportunity to draft at a premium slot since Duncan - 25 years........

Hopefully they can take advantage of the next couple of drafts.....
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 11-28-2021 at 02:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steph
    Kd
    Giannis
    But Luka is in that 4-7 range. I could make a strong case he's the 4th best player in the league. Lebron is too old and gets hurt a lot. Kawhi is out. Embiid is struggling with his production and his team. Jokic is having a of a statline but his team is struggling. Doncic can't become the best until he learns how to shoot better. If he learned how to MAKE stepback 3s instead of just take them then he would probably be the best in the world just bc he can do it all.

Btw I don't count defense against a player bc short of Giannis no other star player plays defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The decline of LeBron is one of the low key reasons the Lakers are struggling. He's still top 10 but he's no longer the best in the league or even top 5.

That said its a small sample size and he's coasted during the regular season for years but father time comes for everyone.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is an interesting article from airalamo.com where they ranked DJ 4th out of 15 West point guards:

https://airalamo.com/posts/ranking-d...ern-conference

I'd probably put Chris Paul (#5) ahead of DJ but I think the list is not bad. A lot of the other West point guards that normally would be higher are struggling so far this year, including Lillard (shooting 29% from 3) and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (shooting 30% from 3). It will be interesting to see what this list might look like at the end of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stats don’t lie…look at Russ.

Thread Information