Inglewood, CA
    6:40pm ET
    FOX
    Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    God the NFL needs to change these sorry OT rules like ten years ago. Just re ed that Allen couldn't get a crack at it because of the coin flip
    That's a slightly popular but very stupid and imbecile opinion.

People need to realize that football is a Team Game, with 3 co-equal phases of the game just like the U.S. Government with 3 co-equal branches of federal government. The special teams is analogous to the SCOTUS which provides checks and balances against the offense/president or defense/congress.

If anything, the NFL should return to the original OT rules, but get rid of the game clock (still keep the regular play clock and limit teams to 2 timeouts). Instant sudden death. That would eliminate ties as well. First score of ANY kind should win the game. Football is a TEAM GAME. If your special teams is not good enough to not allow a huge kick return, your team doesn't deserve to win the game and advance. If your defense is not good enough to keep the other team out of FG range (or give up a TD), your team doesn't deserve to win and advance. That's all and that's that.

(Back in the good old days before they stupidly changed the rules in 2010, teams were a lot more aggressive on defense, even on opening OT drives, instead of the bend-but-don't-break crap we see in today's overtime games on the initial possession of OT, both regular season and playoffs. It was more fun to watch and a much better and more compe ive brand of football.)

Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills LOST the game, fair and square. IF Josh Allen wants to be a whiny about it, he should have considered a career in individual sports like golf, tennis or MMA. Or maybe basketball where all players at least get to play in all phases of the game. But this is the NFL. A team game with three co-equal and co-dependent branches. Just ask the Packers. If one of those is a liability it could submarine even the best of seasons even with an elite QB and elite defense.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

49ers - heart and overcoming limitations
    Rams - arrogant mercenaries

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah, but we shouldn't wait until a situation like this to call for change. The overtime rules have always been ty, but it's like a bunch of people are just now taking issue with it. And even when the NFL did make a change, it was a ty change that didn't actually address the issue. It was like, "You want us change these ty rules? How about...we replace them with slightly less ty rules, but still basically the same in spirit!"
    Get rid of the game clock and go back to first score of any kind wins. Football is a three-phase game. If your defense can't hold you don't deserve to advance. If your special teams can't protect the goddamn punter when it's snowing on your home field, your team deserves to ing lose.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

49ers - heart and overcoming limitations
    Rams - arrogant mercenaries
    I love these underdog Niners and hope they win it all, but I don't really have much of a dog in the race between the final 4 teams. I'd be happy for all 4, yes, even the Rams. Hopefully in that case their fans will bolt away from the ty Lakers and start following football instead. The teams I love are out (Dallas/Jax) and the teams I hate are out (GB, Pit, to lesser extent Buf, WAS, and NE) so I don't really have a melt-down scenario either way.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    I love these underdog Niners and hope they win it all, but I don't really have much of a dog in the race between the final 4 teams. I'd be happy for all 4, yes, even the Rams. Hopefully in that case their fans will bolt away from the ty Lakers and start following football instead. The teams I love are out (Dallas/Jax) and the teams I hate are out (GB, Pit, to lesser extent Buf, WAS, and NE) so I don't really have a melt-down scenario either way.
    Then you would get that abnoxious fan base, but in football. Be careful what you wish for.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Then you would get that abnoxious fan base, but in football. Be careful what you wish for.
    We already have two of those, Green Bay and Buffalo. I didn't use to think Buffalo until they recently got so y in the past 2-3 years.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Pittsburgh is up there too, but Arcadian is a good dude.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Well yeah, they shouldn't have waited until a situation like this happened again. I don't know what their issue is with change. The NCAA did it and it's way better than the alternative.
    Oh llllllllll no!!!!! College OT rules are the ing worst. Inflated scores, inflated stats, easy scoring, overall inflation, you never know when you're going to be able to eat dinner... NCAAF OTs are absolute dog . And what makes matters worse is those guys are forced out there exhausted for unlimited amounts of snaps without even getting paid.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Idiot? His points are 100% accurate and valid. I don't think any of it can be disputed. And his bottom line is correct. The college OT format is ghastly.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Bill bros still s -shocked

2 straight AFCCG losses

Noone remembers 3rd Place...
    WTF do you mean? Bills didn't make the AFCCG this year. Why? Because they just aren't good enough. The defense sucked and Trash Allen choked on the coin toss. Heads is the choice. You have to come through when it matters most to your team and it's Trash Allen's fault that Trash Allen didn't get the ball back for his offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Leggo Niners

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    That's a slightly popular but very stupid and imbecile opinion.

People need to realize that football is a Team Game, with 3 co-equal phases of the game just like the U.S. Government with 3 co-equal branches of federal government. The special teams is analogous to the SCOTUS which provides checks and balances against the offense/president or defense/congress.

If anything, the NFL should return to the original OT rules, but get rid of the game clock (still keep the regular play clock and limit teams to 2 timeouts). Instant sudden death. That would eliminate ties as well. First score of ANY kind should win the game. Football is a TEAM GAME. If your special teams is not good enough to not allow a huge kick return, your team doesn't deserve to win the game and advance. If your defense is not good enough to keep the other team out of FG range (or give up a TD), your team doesn't deserve to win and advance. That's all and that's that.

(Back in the good old days before they stupidly changed the rules in 2010, teams were a lot more aggressive on defense, even on opening OT drives, instead of the bend-but-don't-break crap we see in today's overtime games on the initial possession of OT, both regular season and playoffs. It was more fun to watch and a much better and more compe ive brand of football.)

Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills LOST the game, fair and square. IF Josh Allen wants to be a whiny about it, he should have considered a career in individual sports like golf, tennis or MMA. Or maybe basketball where all players at least get to play in all phases of the game. But this is the NFL. A team game with three co-equal and co-dependent branches. Just ask the Packers. If one of those is a liability it could submarine even the best of seasons even with an elite QB and elite defense.
    Great point let's change baseball OT to a coin flip as to who bats first and where the first team that scores, wins. Just like the NFL

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Great point let's change baseball OT to a coin flip as to who bats first and where the first team that scores, wins. Just like the NFL
    You don't want it to be like college OT, do you? I don't think that is a very good solution either.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    You don't want it to be like college OT, do you? I don't think that is a very good solution either.
    I'm fine with putting an extra 10 minutes on the clock for each OT period for the playoffs.

The regular season I'd be fine with just one ten minute OT before ending in a tie.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    But will Kaepernick run for 150

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    That's stupid. Baseball is a very low scoring game and isn't full contact, people aren't getting roughed up and tackled every snap/ at bat. Moronic comparison.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I'm fine with putting an extra 10 minutes on the clock for each OT period for the playoffs.

The regular season I'd be fine with just one ten minute OT before ending in a tie.
    No ties... ties, they murk and muck up the standings. Either go back to 15 minutes and sudden death or do 10 minutes and 50 yard kick-offs (each team's kicker getting equal chances, no kick protection/kick blocking allowed, just the holder and kicker) until we determine the winner and the winner is awarded 3 points for the total kickoff session and the victory. NO MORE TIES.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Absolutely nobody likes ties in sports. That's why soccer is impossible to watch. It should definitely not happen in the NFL.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    That's stupid. Baseball is a very low scoring game and isn't full contact, people aren't getting roughed up and tackled every snap/ at bat. Moronic comparison.
    Lol what does "getting roughed up" have to do with anything?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Lol what does "getting roughed up" have to do with anything?
    Everything. The CBA in football revolves around the very real threat of injuries in football and do everything they can to limit snaps. That's why the 15 minute to 10 minute overtime length change, which was stupid, was passed in 2017. That's why overtimes were taken out of preseason. That's why special teams rules seem to get tweaked every other year. It's even worse in college where people aren't making money and basically playing multiple OT's worth of extra snaps for pride and for other people's entertainment, particularly the vast majority of college players that have no shot to be drafted and make the NFL. In the NFL, the players' union would never go for it, and rightfully so.

Baseball's unlimited extra innings is stupid even if you're a hardcore baseball fan and don't mind staying up until 1AM to watch 15+ inning games, but it doesn't take a toll on the players' health and fatigue the way that extra snaps do in football. Most of the time baseball players are standing and squatting waiting for a ball to come to them or in the dugout. Sure, pitchers' arms get tired, but that's what a bullpen is for. In football you don't have 100 extra players to put on the field in such cases, and if you did the financials just wouldn't work.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    About the OT rule:

I think the best solution is just securing an offensive drive for each team, TD or not. If both teams remain tied after those first two drives, first score after that wins.

This rule would also open the possibilities for a lot of different tactics. If you win the toss, do you select to receive or defend first, knowing that you are secured and offensive position and if your rival doesn't score, a FG wins you the game?

Also, if your rival scores a TD, and then you answer with a TD of your own, you can go for the kill with a 2 pts conversion. It isn't perfect but I think it's the best solution.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Week 18, the Rams up 17-0 were primed to end the 49ers season

3 weeks later the Boogeyman returns ready to end theirs

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    About the OT rule:

I think the best solution is just securing an offensive drive for each team, TD or not. If both teams remain tied after those first two drives, first score after that wins.

This rule would also open the possibilities for a lot of different tactics. If you win the toss, do you select to receive or defend first, knowing that you are secured and offensive position and if your rival doesn't score, a FG wins you the game?

Also, if your rival scores a TD, and then you answer with a TD of your own, you can go for the kill with a 2 pts conversion. It isn't perfect but I think it's the best solution.
    No extra points in OT. Must go for 2.

Thread Information