Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [2013 / 28th] Livio Jean-Charles: Never came over from overseas
    [2014 / 30th] Kyle Anderson: Decent hit at 30, who became a starter on another team
    [2015 / 26th] Nikola Milutinov: Never came over from overseas
    [2016 / 29th] DJ Murray: Amazing value at 29, becoming a triple double threat and All-Star/All-Defensive caliber player
    [2017 / 29th] Derrick White: Was thought to be a core piece but never took it to the next value; netted us a future 1st
    [2018 / 18th] Lonnie Walker: Basically like worse version of Derrick White who showed zero improvement from year 3 to year 4
    [2019 / 19th] Luka Šamanić: Had stones for both hands/feet, had no motor, and lasted just 36 games as a Spur
    [2019 / 29th] Keldon Johnson: Early candidate for steal of the draft, has a high motor and has developed a lethal outside shot
    [2020 / 11th] Devin Vassell: Showing us shades of Brandom Ingram in his third year
    [2021 / 12th] Josh Primo: Insane growth as a rookie to his sop re year physically, but couldn't keep it in his pants; waived

Since 2016, none of our 1st round draft picks are still with us except of Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell. White/Walker/Murray were thought to be the future core.

Losing Primo really set this franchise back because I believe we made that DJ Murray move with Primo's future growth in mind. His dismissal has caused rumblings about the Spurs' recent draft moves in the 1st round (I'm in that party). However, putting it all into perspective and how high our picks were in the first round, we didn't strike out too badly. Of course, if you included Nephew, a le, and two 60-win seasons after that le... it wouldn't be a discussion how this franchise has fared at drafting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a let down Primo became. Such a pity for this small market team to have to just waive a #12 pick 1 yr removed from the draft. Such horrible luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really the only whiff on that list was Luka. And the Spurs have turned second rounders into players.

Also, as someone already pointed out in another thread talking about the same damn thing, advanced metrics show the Spurs consistently performing as about the 5th best drafting team, so why the need for another thread on the same topic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's A+ level drafting right there. The only fans who would dare to complain simply don't understand the expected value of picks outside of the top ten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [2013 / 28th] Livio Jean-Charles: Never came over from overseas
    [2014 / 30th] Kyle Anderson: Decent hit at 30, who became a starter on another team
    [2015 / 26th] Nikola Milutinov: Never came over from overseas
    [2016 / 29th] DJ Murray: Amazing value at 29, becoming a triple double threat and All-Star/All-Defensive caliber player
    [2017 / 29th] Derrick White: Was thought to be a core piece but never took it to the next value; netted us a future 1st
    [2018 / 18th] Lonnie Walker: Basically like worse version of Derrick White who showed zero improvement from year 3 to year 4
    [2019 / 19th] Luka Šamanić: Had stones for both hands/feet, had no motor, and lasted just 36 games as a Spur
    [2019 / 29th] Keldon Johnson: Early candidate for steal of the draft, has a high motor and has developed a lethal outside shot
    [2020 / 11th] Devin Vassell: Showing us shades of Brandom Ingram in his third year
    [2021 / 12th] Josh Primo: Insane growth as a rookie to his sop re year physically, but couldn't keep it in his pants; waived

Since 2016, none of our 1st round draft picks are still with us except of Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell. White/Walker/Murray were thought to be the future core.

Losing Primo really set this franchise back because I believe we made that DJ Murray move with Primo's future growth in mind. His dismissal has caused rumblings about the Spurs' recent draft moves in the 1st round (I'm in that party). However, putting it all into perspective and how high our picks were in the first round, we didn't strike out too badly. Of course, if you included Nephew, a le, and two 60-win seasons after that le... it wouldn't be a discussion how this franchise has fared at drafting.
    DJ and White were drafted to be complementary players for Kawhi. Neither was expected to be The Guy. White also returned Wesley, in addition to the future pick swap.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's A+ level drafting right there. The only fans who would dare to complain simply don't understand the expected value of picks outside of the top ten.
    This has to be one of the most massive shortcomings of the people who post here. They have such a warped perspective of how long players actually last in the league, let alone produce.

I think people would be surprised at how many players drafted actually make it to 30 years old in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has to be one of the most massive shortcomings of the people who post here. They have such a warped perspective of how long players actually last in the league, let alone produce.

I think people would be surprised at how many players drafted actually make it to 30 years old in the league.
    I think they’d be surprised at the number of first rounders who don’t get a second contract with their drafting team.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they’d be surprised at the number of first rounders who don’t get a second contract with their drafting team.
    Knicks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since we're doing the revisionist history, let's see who could've Spurs drafted instead that would've been a better choice.

2013: Allan Crabbe and Mike Musacla? Safe to say that nothing of value was lost.
    2014: Obviously Jokic. Other than him Joe Harris, Dinwiddle, Jerami Grant, Dwight Powell and Jordan Clarkson were all second rounders.
    2015: Nance Jr, Looney, Cedi Osman, Montrezl Harrell, Richaun Holmes, Josh Richardson, Pat Connaughton, Norman Powell
    2016: best player available
    2017: best player available
    2018: Most of us would still probably take Lonnie. He was the perfect prospect. Athleticism, jumpshot...just can't deliver consistently. Simons and Brunson turned out to be the best players out of that bunch.
    2019: Samanic is definitely the PATFO's biggest bust. Could've had Thybulle, Clarke or Poole. But then again, Keldon is better than all of them and it saved the draft.
    2020: I'd still take Devin over Haliburton, Maxey or Bane.
    2021: Too early to say, but none of them feel like we've missed on an all-star. Sengun is just Kanter 2.0. I like Bones Hyland and Herbert Jones the best out of that bunch.

So yeah, other than Jokic who was missed by everyone, I don't feel like we have lost huge value in the draft.
    As already said, it's really hard to say who will develop into a good NBA player when you're not in top10. Even top10 has a lot of busts.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing Primo sucks in the longterm because I thought he was going to be a great role player with a knockdown shot. In the short term, losing him allows the team to emphasize other players with a higher ceiling. And honestly, losing Primo probably helps us with Keldon on a hierarchical standpoint because no way should Primo be even considered the face of the franchise over Keldon, which was where things were potentially headed. That would definitely rub Keldon wrong to some degree, in my opinion. Keldon is already underpaid, no reason to risk him also feeling under appreciated, especially if we want to keep him longterm. Just speculating…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say it's good drafting, but I think it is taking the kind of player they think they can develop and then really good player development. They can take guys in the late 20s and use their development program to make some of them hit. But imagine if the Spurs development program got a top 3 pick talent level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spursfan on the draft because its an agenda. Rather than Quote the wrong thread ill post this comment: livio JC stayed in SAN Antonio many years trying to rehab and a last ditch effort to rebrand him as a role player. The idea he never came over is wrong.

Also fathead was a starter for the spurs too. He left as a free agent.

Milutov isnt some miss. The spurs didnt want salary and rules changes put the nail in the pic conveying. He was a good pick for what the spurs were trying to do then.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. I’m too busy to look but if I had to guess, as a whole for all players who earn a contract in the NBA I’d bet the average lifespan of an nba player is probably no more than 4-5 years. It’s a real accomplishment to hit 30 in the league. Most players come in and are out of the league in short order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. I’m too busy to look but if I had to guess, as a whole for all players who earn a contract in the NBA I’d bet the average lifespan of an nba player is probably no more than 4-5 years. It’s a real accomplishment to hit 30 in the league. Most players come in and are out of the league in short order.
    You're correct, an NBA players career isn't all that long. Like you said 4-5 years. Unless you have the makings of a star/super star , or really good role player, management is looking to replace you with someone cheaper, probably more talented or via the draft fairly soon. There is natural talent that will be there for years no matter where they play, there is natural talent that needs developing, and then there is "potential talent" that may or may not ever develop. My favorite kind is the player that has a little bit of talent but works his ass off to become a valuable player.

The spurs have drafted or obtained all of the above and I congratulate them for it. Like all NBA teams they've also drafted a few real duds (Semanic comes to mind). Some teams are real good at drafting spurs included, but nobody wins them all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was pretty good drafting ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too had and could always be worse etc etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure RJ24 has something he needs to get off his chest about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seen posters saying they hope the primo situation gets Wright fired

Um you mean the guy that dumped Forbes, Young, Eubanks, plus the mid return junk like Dragic and Satoransky, and jettisoned good hindrances like Murray, White and Walker in return for JR and tons of picks, bringing back tremendous upside value, better compatibility and stronger flexibility financially and rosterwise

Someone assemble the list of inbound/outbound.

Forbes and crew for JR, picks and the picks that became Blake and Bran.

Dumped a lot of junk for a very pure return imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus savvy snags like Roby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah I don't see how the drafting is viewed as bad. I'm mad at the Samanic and Primo picks, especially since they promised Poole to draft him at 29 and could've just drafted him earlier, but other than that those were good picks. Add Tre Jones as a 2nd rounder to that as well. The jury is still out on Wright, the White trade was a heist. I loved all the moves he made last season except for drafting Primo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure RJ24 has something he needs to get off his chest about this.
    I know bitter, lonely old men like yourself utilize it as your social life, but that's literally the point of a message board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know bitter, lonely old men like yourself utilize it as your social life, but that's literally the point of a message board.
    bitter, lonely old men

Hardly describes what I am. Life is good for me, tbh. I don't spend hours on here typing long essays like you do.

I'm being productive every day. Not basing my thinking every moment on every Spurs flaw/conspiracies ( Raptors front office) like you do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bitter, lonely old men

Hardly describes what I am. Life is good for me, tbh. I don't spend hours on here typing long essays like you do.

I'm being productive every day. Not basing my thinking every moment on every Spurs flaw/conspiracies ( Raptors front office) like you do.
    You've only been here a year longer and have a whopping 20, 178 more posts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty good track record tbh. All the more reason why everybody should be on Team Tank, imagine what they could do with a top 5 pick tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livio Jean-Charles Didn’t he play in some preseason games but sucked so bad they waived him?

Thread Information