Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1522
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okey dokey. Money spent. Went over budget, but not too bad.

Shoot... still need an operating system.
    LOL you got the last of that model 1070. It's out of stock now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL you got the last of that model 1070. It's out of stock now.
    You said pull the trigger... I went.

Thanks much. I'll let you know how it all goes together. Should all arrive in the next week, and I will spend most of the next weekend putting it together, booting/testing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I just need to re-watch the youtube video about the cooling system, and read up on overclocking.

Seriously tempted to pass on the overclocking, and just keep the processor alive a bit longer.

What difference will I see performance wise?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said pull the trigger... I went.

Thanks much. I'll let you know how it all goes together. Should all arrive in the next week, and I will spend most of the next weekend putting it together, booting/testing it.
    That system is insanely powerful. I'll probably end up buying a 1070 later on too. So what games are you going to get for it?

As for Windows, here is a link to Win 10 Home 64-bit from a bunch of sellers

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgP...ft-os-kw900140

I think it's a DVD though. If you don't have an old dvd drive to spare you can use this tool to make a bootable USB flash to install Windows from on your laptop or a work computer

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

I think you can only buy the retail version of Windows 10 preloaded on a usb flash drive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I just need to re-watch the youtube video about the cooling system, and read up on overclocking.

Seriously tempted to pass on the overclocking, and just keep the processor alive a bit longer.

What difference will I see performance wise?
    That's a really high end cooler, you're not going to kill your processor any sooner by overclocking unless you do something re ed like pump 1.5V or more into it (ideally I'd try to stay below 1.35V vcore).

The good news is you're not going to notice much of a difference in the vast majority of the big budget AAA games from running at stock vs overclocking when using a 60 Hz monitor (you will on a 120Hz or higher one though). The biggest benefit to overclocking is that in 2-3 years you can overclock instead of buying a new processor if you're not getting 60 fps. It helps your cpu age well, and your cpu being a hexacore should age extremely well with an overclock to say 4GHz. You can usually get these chips to 4.5 GHz or so, especially with the high end board and cooler you have.

Generally the way overclocking works is you get a lot of speed pretty easily without having to bump up voltage too much, and then you hit a power wall where you have to increase voltage significantly to get those last 200 MHz or so. Unless you get really unlucky you shouldn't have much problem getting that chip to 4.0 GHz. Even a bad 5820k should do that before hitting that power wall.

There are a few games where OC really matters. They're usually poorly optimized PC exclusives. For instance, Arma III is extremely sensitive to cpu clockspeed when it comes to framerate and how long of a view distance you can use. Kerbal Space Program is another, as Wild Cobra reports it only uses a single core of your cpu. In Fallout 4 I'm running a 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 quadcore (with hyperthreading) and I have to turn god rays and shadow distance to medium to get a locked 60 fps because of the cpu, while resistanze has the same GPU as I do (GTX 970) but has an overclocked i5-4690k and says he doesn't need to turn those settings down from ultra to get a locked 60 fps.

But mostly you won't notice a difference right now with or without an overclock on the cpu. But definitely learn how to do it eventually, because it will extend the life of your system (in the sense the cpu won't feel slow in 2-3 years if games start getting more cpu intense as long as you oc then) and because who buys a Porsche just to drive to church and the store?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomGuy man, you're really going to like that card. With older games you can render them in 4k with that gpu and then downsample to 1080p for your monitor. I have a GTX 970 and can play most games made 2010 and before in 4k ultra at 60 fps, and your GTX 1070 will be about 55%-60% more powerful than my GTX 970. So I bet you can run 2011 and maybe 2012 games in 4k ultra. It's called Nvidia DSR (dynamic super resolution) and is great for old games that don't employ a temporal anti-aliasing (for example, TXAA). What temporal antialiasing does is remove the kind of shimmering aliasing effect you see from motion. For example the pixels marching up and down a fence like ants as you move. For new games you can use one of these modern temporal AA effects (TAA or TXAA) and not worry about DSR. But for old games the DSR to 4k is the best way to get rid of this effect. It's a really cool effect with older games and even new games you might consider rendering at 1440p and downsampling to 1080p, it really gives awesome image quality and your 1070 will play virtually everything out there at 1440p ultra at 60 fps.

If you look at the pics of the card you'll notice there are two 8-pin power connectors on the side.

So it's going to have a pretty beefy VRM for overclocking; you're not likely to be power limited (which is what limits my overclocks on my GTX 970). The standard GTX 1070 only uses one of these 8-pin connectors. Even if you don't overclock this is one of the faster GTX 1070s out of the box.

And that cpu is going to last you a long time. I think there is a good chance it will last you through the next console generation. It will easily last through this one (including the half generation console bump being released in 2017).

A few tips on building with the Enthoo Pro (it's the case I use too):
    1. There is a fan controller on the back of the motherboard tray. I wouldn't use it myself since you have five external fan headers on the X99A in addition to two headers for your cpu fans. You'll have control of your fans in the BIOS more easily plugging them all into the board and just skipping the fan controller.

2. If you're not familiar with how modern cases are laid out, you'll have a tray on the back of your motherboard tray for installing your ssd. I think it's the easiest way to install them and keeps your cables neater. And ssds don't need active cooling like mechanical hard drives.

3. The Enthoo Pro makes it really easy to do nice cable management behind the motherboard tray so that the computer is easy to work with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomGuy

what monitor u be gaming on man?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10474/...x-1060-july-19

Supposedly equal to a 980. Excellent card at $249, but will the MSRP match the street price? I could see it jumping to $300 and then at that point the r480x is still viable.

Either way, it's a great time to be a gamer. Cards supporting 1440p are now affordable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn. im thinking about going with the 1060

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn. im thinking about going with the 1060
    It'll be a great deal if that ever sells at the $250 MSRP, but I doubt it considering there is no 1070 selling at the $380 MSRP. The cheapest decent AIB model of the 1070 I have seen is the EVGA ACX 3.0 for $420. So expect most 1060s to be around $300 for at least a month / month and a half after the July 19th launch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It ing sucks because there were a lot of GTX 970 at the $330 MSRP and GTX 980 at the $550 MSRP when the 900 series launched in Sept 2014. And the GTX 960 actually sold at the $200 MSRP at launch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Evolve went free to play today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It ing sucks because there were a lot of GTX 970 at the $330 MSRP and GTX 980 at the $550 MSRP when the 900 series launched in Sept 2014. And the GTX 960 actually sold at the $200 MSRP at launch.
    Right but the GTX 960 was a much lower tier card from day 1. The 1060 is a beast card. Admittedly more money, but still a crazy good deal.

And I still think the r480x is a of a deal, even at $230.

I'll probably be buying a 1080 for my next rig though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right but the GTX 960 was a much lower tier card from day 1. The 1060 is a beast card. Admittedly more money, but still a crazy good deal.

And I still think the r480x is a of a deal, even at $230.

I'll probably be buying a 1080 for my next rig though.
    Nvidia's MSRP is just a sick joke so far with Pascal. $300 for 980 performance is pretty meh coming off a node shrink, it's like a 15% improvement over the 970 that sold for $300 recently. And Pascal isn't the overclocker Maxwell is, so that 15% difference at stock will probably be significantly less in real world usage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so which rx 480 would be a good option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so which rx 480 would be a good option?
    You'll want to wait for aftermarket cards with non reference pcb, which should be releasing in the next 2-3 weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'll want to wait for aftermarket cards with non reference pcb, which should be releasing in the next 2-3 weeks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

not this??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oops nevermind wrong card

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nvidia's MSRP is just a sick joke so far with Pascal. $300 for 980 performance is pretty meh coming off a node shrink, it's like a 15% improvement over the 970 that sold for $300 recently. And Pascal isn't the overclocker Maxwell is, so that 15% difference at stock will probably be significantly less in real world usage.
    Agreed. But in NVidia's defense, they have a name brand to rely on. Everything they make sells pretty well. I'm sure that even if the r480x was = to the 1060 for $100 less Nvidia would expect their sales to be high.

As it stands though, the 480 seems to be the value king until you get into 1070 range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to part out stuff for my VR build. I came across this case. Holy it's beautiful. I'm not a fan of the BBB (big black box) cases, but this has enough flair to still be minimal yet look amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to part out stuff for my VR build. I came across this case. Holy it's beautiful. I'm not a fan of the BBB (big black box) cases, but this has enough flair to still be minimal yet look amazing.

I love Phanteks cases. I have an Enthoo Pro and the build quality is really nice. It's also extremely easy to build in with lots of space between the motherboard tray and back panel for cables. The case is really full featured too for only $100: tons of fan mount points, included high quality 200mm and 140mm fans, three places to put radiators if I was to water cool, room for even the huge Noctua cpu coolers, the velcro straps in back for cable management (zipties are such a when you have to cut them), high quality fan filters, I mean their cases are really well designed. Their customer service is great too. When I got my Enthoo Pro and one of the windows was cracked newegg only wanted to give me a $20 store credit but then I contacted Phanteks and they sent me a new window in like 3 days.

I think Phanteks cases are very underpriced for the quality they provide. I'd take them over Corsair, Cooler Master, or NZXT any day, and they're usually cheaper. The only other manufacturer I like as much is Fractal Design, their Define S is probably the case I would have gotten if I was just building a strictly gaming system and didn't need mechanical drives (the 3.5 drive bays are behind the motherboard tray and thus don't get any active cooling).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomGuy

what monitor u be gaming on man?
    Wife just got new job. Mo' money.

Might be buying a new monitor as well. I have a fairly decent/large one now (60hz), but might spend some on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Heh, close to what I am building now. Case is very sweet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Evolve went free to play today
    So the MB has an M.2 slot. Started the build, and am reading manuals, and trying to catch up. The MB config looks to be bewilderingly complex. Lots to learn and catch up on.

Thinking about adding this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147567

1TB powerhouse. $349.

Thoughts?

Thread Information