Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, for the record, I like what I'm seeing from Vassell. Obviously, he's on a much slower track than Haliburton in terms of his role and minutes. But a really good defender with three-point range and signs that he can create his own shot? That's gold in today's league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is still the best fit and the best pick when the Spurs selected him. Tyrese would have barely played if he had been drafted with Murray, White, Walker, Mills and Derozan manning the guard position as well. Vassell needs a longer leash and a more effective lineup and it will come about sooner or later.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In retrospect, though I really like the commitment to defense and moving away from Forbes/Beli, they may have over corrected slightly by choosing Vassel over Halliburton. I mean, let's hope they didn't see DDR in the longterm plans because of his appalling defense, and they knew they needed some playmaking to replace DDR, then Halliburton makes a lot of sense. Yes, it would have been an awkward situation with a resigning of White right as Halliburton would be joining the team. But his BBIQ and playmaking...man, they really, really need that on this team. Seeing him find players across the court reminded me of Bobo and Manu. Way too much 1-1 dribble drivel on the team now. I agree with all the valid points that we wouldn't be seeing this Halliburton on this team right now most likely. But again, with that BBIQ, I don't see how Pop could avoid playing him. He seems like a total team-firsts player. But until DDR is off the team, we probably don't really know what sort of team we have and where we are headed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would have struggled to get minutes with our current roster makeup. Vassell was the right choice unless you planned to move one (maybe two) of Walker, White or DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night's game made our point guard play, or lack thereof, come into full relief for me after watching Halliburton orchestrate their offense. Basically, our team has no real point guard. We have 5 different shooting guards taking a stab at it in their own way: DJ, White, DDR, IV, and Patty. Trades will need to happen in the off season most likely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For today's NBA, now that I've seen him in action a couple of times, I probably take Haliburton if we could do the pick over again, but 10 or 15 years ago, Vassell would have easily been my first choice between the two.
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-30-2021 at 09:13 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to not only see where we draft this Summer, but also who we prioritize. Someone to play the 4 makes sense, but I'm focusing on skills: shooting and playmaking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say there are at least five teams who drafted before us that should regret this even worse. Some of those teams badly needed a point guard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't have a vertical lob threat , he won't be as effective with us even with the same minutes. He is much better than Vassell now though, but 3 years is usually the evaluation period on prospects and ceiling for this group is higher with Vassell due to position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't have a vertical lob threat , he won't be as effective with us even with the same minutes. He is much better than Vassell now though, but 3 years is usually the evaluation period on prospects and ceiling for this group is higher with Vassell due to position.
    Did anyone see that block by Vassell ON A PULL UP JUMPER last night? You hardly see those types of blocks. There aren't many non-bigs in the NBA who can do that. That, to me, will stand out all season long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DV and Halliburton switched teams, we'd be saying how we should have taken Vassell instead since Tyrese would be getting sporadic spot minutes under the old man tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say there are at least five teams who drafted before us that should regret this even worse. Some of those teams badly needed a point guard.
    knicks taking obi toppin comes to mind for me

vassell is gonna be fine. People bumping this thread after any single game this year don’t see the actual prize which is what they look like 3-4 years from now and how that player fits into each franchise.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all talk like Haliburton wouldn't be up 35 in Austin if we had drafted him. Wouldn't have gotten run behind Wombat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Halliburton looks like a vet out there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure Vassell would be as good as him if he had the same playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really, we need both of them on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyrese would definetly be buried behind demar&mills

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haliburton has the benefits of solid minutes and devon doesn't; it could be as simple as that. for all we know, samanic may be a better player than haliburton but he can't get on the floor. that being said, tyrese is going to be a solid rotational player for years to come.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They definitely blew it and it has nothing to do with Vassell and everything to do with them foolishly thinking they're set in the back court with Murray and White. He's 4 and 6 years younger respectively, but already a superior 3-point shooter and more dynamic play maker than either, two things this team obviously desperately needs.

They should have picked him, traded one of them and tried to position themselves to come away with one of Vassell/Bey as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DV and Halliburton switched teams, we'd be saying how we should have taken Vassell instead since Tyrese would be getting sporadic spot minutes under the old man tbh
    This is too true, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record, I think Vassell will be >> Haliburton when it's all said and done. Pop just needs to start playing Devin more.

Like I said though, the guy we should have drafted is Poku, imho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell just need more playing time. Vassell is already doing a lot for limited time. He's able to guard scorers and battles for rebound.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell will never get 10 assists in a game i don't care how much more he played. They are not in the same lvl. Haliburton has star potential, Vassell can become a good role player and that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell will never get 10 assists in a game i don't care how much more he played. They are not in the same lvl. Haliburton has star potential, Vassell can become a good role player and that's about it.
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh Pop would have had him on the Luka treatment... Remember Devin only got a chance to prove himself because of injuries at the beginning of the year... Luka is now Pop's whipping boy because you can't even point to his defense being the reason he isn't playing... It's simply a schtick he is trying to maintain for whatever reason... I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was keeping Luka on ice till after the trade deadline, but now we see that the only reason Luka was playing was because Rudy was out... Young players on other teams have certain freedoms they're allowed without fear of being benched for games on end... So our young players look like one dimensional stiffs for a couple years, while other players look more dynamic

For all we know if they were reversed, Vassel would have been a ROY contender and displaying to he ability to slash to the basket and shoot off the dribble consistently while we would be criticizing Tyrese for looking like a busy in the spot minutes he gets...

Thread Information