Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsp...?client=safari

Will San Antonio Spurs Change Course And Trade Mid-Season?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:48a

The San Antonio Spurs are currently second in the Western Conference and are heading for another 50-win season. But will they look to modify to their current outfit?

The following transactions are three rare occasions where Buford has rolled the dice and traded mid-season.

Feb. 24, 2005: Traded Malik Rose, a 2005 first-round draft pick (David Lee was later selected) and a 2006 first-round draft pick (Mardy Collins was later selected) to the New York Knicks for Jamison Brewer and Nazr Mohammed.
    Result: San Antonio defeated Detroit 4-3 in the NBA Finals to capture the 2005 championship. Mohammad was the starting center throughout the playoffs and Finals and was a terrific contributor on the defensive end of the floor.

Feb. 20, 2008
    : Traded Brent Barry, Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick (Rodrigue Beaubois was later selected) to the Seattle SuperSonics for Kurt Thomas.

Result: The Spurs lost 4-1 to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals. Thomas was a non-factor, playing just 8.8 minutes per game.
    March 15, 2012: Traded T.J. Ford, Richard Jefferson and a 2012 first-round draft pick (Festus Ezeli was later selected) to the Golden State Warriors for Stephen Jackson.
    Result: The Spurs lost 4-2 to the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Finals. The Spurs had reeled off 20 consecutive wins and had a 2-0 lead over the Thunder. However, things fell apart and they subsequently lost the next four straight games.

Potential Trades

From the outside looking in, it may appear crazy to break up a team that is presently 26-6 and just 1.5 games off the top spot in the western conference. But the Spurs have demonstrated historically in the Buford-Popovich era that they are:

• Always in win-now mode, and;
    • Prepared to make a midseason move when they see fit.

Having a win-now mindset, trading future picks has been part of the equation when it comes to upgrading their team. But in saying that, one or more key parts of their rotation will clearly need to be included if the Spurs are looking to make a significant splash.
    Trade Pau Gasol; Acquire Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut via three-team trade

Teams: San Antonio, Charlotte Hornets, Dallas Mavericks
    San Antonio receives: Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut
    San Antonio trades: Pau Gasol, 2017 first-round pick
    Charlotte receives: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 first-round pick
    Charlotte trades: Frank Kaminsky, Jeremy Lamb, Roy Hibbert
    Dallas trades: Deron Williams, Andrew Bogut
    Dallas receive: Frank Kaminsky, Jeremy Lamb, Roy Hibbert, 2017 first-round pick

Trade LaMarcus Aldridge; Acquire Serge Ibaka and Aaron Gordon

Teams: San Antonio, Orlando Magic
    San Antonio receives: Serge Ibaka, Aaron Gordon, Mario Hezonja
    Orlando receives: LaMarcus Aldridge, Spurs 2017 first round pick

Trade Or Stand Pat?

These are the two simple options presenting the Spurs between now and the February 23 trade deadline. While heading down the trading route is not common for the Spurs, they’re all in when they pursue this course of thinking.

Each of the trades detailed earlier involved parting with a first-round pick and also a key rotation player. Of course, trading future picks can back to bite you if they’re used wisely. David Lee and Festus Ezeli are examples of this risk for the Spurs.

But of course, risk and reward comes with any transaction. The Spurs were richly rewarded with their 2005 deal for Nazr Mohammad, with the team prevailing 4-3 in the NBA Finals in what was a nail-biting series.

Also, the team won 31 of their first 33 games after acquiring Stephen Jackson before falling to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The Spurs front office, coaching staff and ownership have the set the standard around the league. Of course, a 26-6 record is probably more than they could’ve hoped for. Having said that, the Spurs won’t let their win-loss record to strictly dictate their movements.

The midseason trade in the championship year of 2005 was made when the Spurs had a 42-13 record and the second-best record in their conference.

While the rest of the NBA is trying to chase them, the Spurs will have more pressing matters. Is their current playing group good enough to get them over the hump? Or is a mid-season move necessary to take that next step?

Last edited by south side spur; 12-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. what a piece of article. The Spurs are NEVER in win now mode. They have a program, keep their contracts pretty clean for the most part, and try to always stay flexible. Win now teams often take on horrible deals to "make it happen" in the very short term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jackie macmullan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both those trades. I'm for moving Gasol for the right price or even LMA, but God bless.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Wow. what a piece of article. The Spurs are NEVER in win now mode. They have a program, keep their contracts pretty clean for the most part, and try to always stay flexible. Win now teams often take on horrible deals to "make it happen" in the very short term.
    Just like Richard Jefferson and LMA, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are ty trade ideas.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stopped reading at

• always in win-now mode

Spurs trade: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 First round pick
    Spurs receive: TOSB Bogut, TOSB Deron Williams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol what a piece of article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs were just Thaaaat close to winning it all, and a single player could put them over the top, that would be one thing. I don't think they are. I don't think that they think they are.

Nazr was good that first year, and made enough difference. Kurt Thomas was a bit of a disappointment, but it was the right idea. You should note that they are both big men. It's still a big man's game, no matter what people say about "today's NBA". That's why they went so hard after Pau.

I said from pre-season that they were weak at the 1 and the 5. Pau would have had to exceed expectations, because they couldn't really improve at the point. Tony isn't horrible, but he's not the PG of a championship team. So unless Tony gets moved to the bench, AND patty exceeds expectations? This isn't a championship year. I don't think a single trade could offset shortcomings at two different positions.

BTW - if I remember right, the OP has made some solid posts. Especially as new posters go. He/she doesn't have to be right all the time. Nobody is. But I appreciate someone who is talking hoops from a reasonable perspective, even if I disagree. Most serious trades never happen, so you could argue with every proposal and look like you know something.
    Last edited by GSH; 12-29-2016 at 10:23 PM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lie in wait for injuries this year.

On contending teams.

Then we strike like the viper of 2014.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lie in wait for injuries this year.

On contending teams.

Then we strike like the viper of 2014.
    With a bit more work, you could have made that into a haiku...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stopped reading at

• always in win-now mode

If the Spurs aren't in win-now mode this year, then they are wasting a year of LMA/Kawhi. If that's the case, they should have tanked, and taken the year to re-build. If you aren't all-out to win it all, then you aren't going to win it all.

I really thought that the Spurs should have taken this season to rebuild. But that's because I'm thinking in terms of championships. If the goal is making the playoffs, maybe making a stand in the second round, and taking care of players that have a part in our history? Then this year was perfectly played.

Either way, changing horses in mid-stream doesn't make sense. I don't think that there is a single trade (or any trade) that will make up all the shortcomings of this roster. Ride what's here, and enjoy it.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Spurs trade: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 First round pick
    Spurs receive: TOSB Bogut, TOSB Deron Williams

That's actually not too bad if you swap Head instead of the 1st rd pick & got a 2nd rd pick in return.

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contracts that would be useful as a one year rental.

Lee/Bogut played well together in Golden State & Dedmon has been the best pairing alongside Softridge this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's actually not too bad if you swap Head instead of the 1st rd pick & got a 2nd rd pick in return.

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contract that might would be useful as a one year rental.

Lee/Bogut played well together in Golden State & Dedmon has been the best pairing alongside Softridge this season.
    This. Don't know why people are acting like Pau is suddenly 26 years old again and Forbes has morphed into Curry.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contracts that would be useful as a one year rental.

I don't know why you keep thinking going thru a lottery team's garbage is a good idea

Have you seen the Mavs or Suns this season?

The guys you want, TOSB Chandler and TOSB Bogut, don't even average ONE block a game. They also most certainly don't bring on the other end of the ball..

Lets also not get into Deron Williams who is currently leading the 29th worst offense in the league. After shooting 38.7% from the floor two seasons ago he's followed it up with 41.4% & 40.3% shooting seasons. Him and Bogut have the durability of late 2000's Yao Ming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd dislike the MVPau signing but I actually hate it. His defense even more frustrating to watch than Enrique's defense. I wouldn't even care if Bogut or Williams contributed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bogut trade is awful. No way should the Spurs give up a pick for that. The LMA trade is actually pretty good value, if you believe that Pau can do most of what LMA can do and Ibaka can fit with the lineup. I'm not a huge fan of those young guys from Orlando, though. I'd hope the team would then move those guys for something else, like an unprotected high-first from Philly or Boston.

The idea of moving a front-court piece for another feels ridiculous to me, though. And honestly, the idea of getting weaker in a trade does too. The Spurs are easily the third-most likely team to win the LOB this season. NOTHING about this year should have made people more pessimistic about their chances of unseating GS. Their weaknesses look so much more pronounced than their improvements. If Kawhi and LMA both play the way they should on offense, it'd be a of a series. Cleveland only looks like a juggernaut because there's only one player in the league who can guard Lebron.

I don't see there being any way in the Spurs make a deal using their top nine rotation players. They don't have the salary to make a huge move otherwise, but I could seem them doing something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stopped reading at:

by Simon Smith 12 hours agoFollow SimonABenedict

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/12/29/san...-season-trade/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stopped reading at:

by Simon Smith 12 hours agoFollow SimonABenedict

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/12/29/san...-season-trade/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From his bio:

It just so happened to be that I was in Miami on the day that LeBron James announced that he was taking his talents to South Beach. It seemed as good a reason as any to begin following the Heat, and having visited the city now on multiple occasions, I am now officially a die-hard Heat supporter.
    http://hoopshabit.com/author/ssmith/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons, Anderson and Forbes for Sefolosha...come on Bud, take it!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a stupid article. Without Kurt Thomas the Spurs would have had a nightmare matchup with Phoenix that year. Maybe people forgot just how badly Oberto got punked by Shaq back in that era but it was ugly. And the Spurs got Barry back anyways, they knew he would be waived when they made the trade. And then the Jackson trade wasn't about Jackson. It was addition by subtraction by dumping a net negative but still name player on a terrible contract to open up playing time for Kawhi once the team saw how good he was becoming. Jackson was just matching salary. The fact that he was actually pretty cold blooded in the playoffs that year (Jack shot 60.5% from the three point line) was just gravy on top of an already amazing trade for the franchise.

Bogut and Williams is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

What the does this team need two Tony Parkers for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a bit more work, you could have made that into a haiku...
    ---------------------------------------------

Lemme try:

LYING IN WAIT

FOR INJURED PREY

THE VIPER STRIKES.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading away LMA's cheap contract for Ibaka who some team is going to pay a stupid amount of money to?

And Gasol for Bogut/Deron is bad enough, but having to sweeten the pot with a first rounder??

Simmons, Anderson and Forbes for Sefolosha...come on Bud, take it!
    Now THIS is something I could get behind. Simmons will get a deal somewhere, and Forbes is a huge project. Would all depend on whether or not they've moved on from Anderson.
    Last edited by cjw; 12-30-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Thread Information