Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gets benched, but Bryn is still starting.
    Imagine losing DJ because of Bryn Forbes (who is getting that contract, btw).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumb post is dumb.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we talking about the player who has no room to talk until he fixes his turnover ratio, free throw %, and 3 point shot? It’s mind blowing that people complain about Forbes but at least he can do these incredible important (no point in starting in you can’t) things.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we talking about the player who has no room to talk until he fixes his turnover ratio, free throw %, and 3 point shot? It’s mind blowing that people complain about Forbes but at least he can do these incredible important (no point in starting in you can’t) things.
    Forbes is an undersized traffic cone on defense. He’s like an airlines employee out on the tarmac inviting the opposition to score at will. Doesn’t matter how offensively gifted you are if you can’t play defense. He was undrafted for a reason

Playing defense allows some cushion for offensive deficincies and time for improvement. Forbes can’t play defense because he’s too short and lacks the athleticism. You can’t teach someone to grow taller

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still hopeful Dejounte develops but all this talk of him attending all the coaches meeting/film sessions last season while rehabbing and he still can’t run the offense without all the turnovers is pretty discouraging

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray seems like he should be better than has been.
    Defensively he is good but not great.
    Offense-yuk- he needs to start off making 15’ and in jumpers
    And he run the offense by being constantly focused on looking for and talking advantage of opportunities.
    Just not getting it from him yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was signed by Klutch Sports. That's all I need to know. He is cancerous as I've always said.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is an undersized traffic cone on defense. He’s like an airlines employee out on the tarmac inviting the opposition to score at will. Doesn’t matter how offensively gifted you are if you can’t play defense. He was undrafted for a reason

Playing defense allows some cushion for offensive deficincies and time for improvement. Forbes can’t play defense because he’s too short and lacks the athleticism. You can’t teach someone to grow taller
    So to be clear I don’t think Forbes should be starting either but he has way more right to start than the way Murray is playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was signed by Klutch Sports. That's all I need to know. He is cancerous as I've always said.
    You might be right. As I recall, all this started right after we played the Lakers. I recall Bron being in his ear after the game, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So to be clear I don’t think Forbes should be starting either but he has way more right to start than the way Murray is playing.
    No he doesnt...thats like sayung gallinari deserves to start over giannis because he is a better shooter and turns the ball over less...FORBES DOESNT PASS!!! He cant even run a fast break! The guys dribble moves consist of pump faking and straight line driving if the guy bites ..he is a one trick pony, and even when that trick works well, the numbers indicate he is a detrement to the team...

One player shooting jumpers is overrated its all about team construction...giannis cant shoot for but he is tje mvp because of how tje team was built around him...

If giannis was drafted by the spiñurs,, u guys would have called for him to be traded for kyle korver

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't know Murray's mind, but if he's looking at Forbes as the guy who's keeping him out of the SL, he's doing it wrong. DJM's unwillingness to shoot threes combined with his sketchy offense and mistakes on defense is what made him unable to play with DeRozan and Aldridge. Some fans didn't and still don't want to hear this, but those guys are and likely will always be better than Murray is, and there isn't a path to winning that involves them deferring to Murray or even moving on from one or especially both of them for worse players that "fit" better with Murray. Simply put, he's a skinnier and less skilled version of Draymond Green right now, and that is not the type of guy who is going to lead your team to anything.

At least with White, you feel like him playing at a borderline All-Star level is a matter of him becoming more consistent rather than him gaining skills. He's not as dynamic of a defender as Murray is, especially off the ball, but he's more solid and versatile in terms of the players he can guard. Offensively, of course, it's not a contest, though I do think Murray's length and burst gives him a legit chance to develop into a really strong finisher. I agree Derrick should have started, with Murray working through his minutes restriction and recovery off the bench. If DeJounte earned the nod, that's fine. But if he didn't, you can spin it as him rounding back into form for at least this whole season. White may well have been hurt by the team not taking the chance to keep their SL together.

With Forbes struggling, I think the door is open for someone else to start, but it wouldn't be DJM. Mills would be the easiest transition in terms of skill-set, and if Bryn was going to stay in the rotation, then avoiding having him and Patty as the second-unit back court is necessary. Beli makes sense for a similar reason, though I'd rather him drop from the rotation/roster. Carroll starting and moving DeRozan to the two has a high upside in the sense that the Spurs would have a big lineup with a lot of switchability, but it would also end up being a unit that gets exploited because of the relative lack of footspeed from four out of the five guys. Walker starting would avoid that potential pitfall, but it presents the more immediate concern of Lonnie not showing consistent positive play. On paper, he's a great fit with a lineup that needs some slashing and energy. But he's not a proven shooter and may not understand the team concepts on either side of the ball well enough to handle his business against starting opponents. In that same vein, Keldon Johnson has an ideal skill-set on paper to be the starting 2.5 for the team, but he's shown a major lack of shooting thus far in Austin, and he didn't seem to really get the Spurs defensive concepts in the pre-season.

I think there are more possible solutions on the roster here that don't involve DJM starting along with White, and I think Pop should explore at least a couple of those before going with that option. In the meantime, Murray needs to work on being a better role-player first and not worry about being a star. He focused way too much on pull-up long-twos (probably with Pop's blessing) and not nearly enough on catch-and-shoot threes. He needs to avoid getting into trouble in the half-court by trying to beat guys to the basket in traffic. He needs to play fundamental defense rather than diving at balls so often. On the bench, his game should work better due to better spacing and worse compe ion. But the issues that are plaguing him (the recklessness and lack of shooting) won't really go away without him improving as a player. His limitations aren't Pop's fault. They aren't LMA's or DMDR's fault. They aren't even necessarily Murray's fault. But they're there all the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything's fine, he's still on Tinder.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he doesnt...thats like sayung gallinari deserves to start over giannis because he is a better shooter and turns the ball over less...FORBES DOESNT PASS!!! He cant even run a fast break! The guys dribble moves consist of pump faking and straight line driving if the guy bites ..he is a one trick pony, and even when that trick works well, the numbers indicate he is a detrement to the team...

One player shooting jumpers is overrated its all about team construction...giannis cant shoot for but he is tje mvp because of how tje team was built around him...

If giannis was drafted by the spiñurs,, u guys would have called for him to be traded for kyle korver
    Your response is all over the place.. I’m talking about two specific players on a specific team with a specific starting lineup.

No need to post any other players names.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IGB needs to stop being a and play better...what is this

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    This is your franchise PG? A guy who starts drama on instagram?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing spurs rewarded his loyalty with a big extension

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop can't have it both ways. You give Murray 64M contract and you publicly state he's the future but now because DDR's limitation from the 3pt line, we alienate the player that we have heavily invested for the future. Sorry, doesn't make any sense to me. Either you believe in Murray or you don't. I think part of the issue with the starting line-up under Murray was the pace we were playing with was far too slow. Add Walker next to Murray and speed up the pace and you will see him thrive. The issue is not Murray but DDR and LMA with the latter disappearing for a few games. Also, people seem to disregard the fact that he was on a minutes restriction and not playing back-to-backs and we are still losing. It remains to be seen if starting White will result in a different outcome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew he was this type. White, a superior player, helps to save the season last season, then by all accounts takes going back to the bench in stride for a largely unproven player, but this punk is going to throw a fit when it happens to him?

These guys do this for a living, yet he couldn't figure out that him and DeRozan wouldn't work unless he became a credible volume 3-point shooter?

Things change so fast in this league. Already that $64M ($70M with incentives) went form looking solid to they might have committed that to a rich man's Dunn/Ntilikina.

Better move DeRozan and with a presumably better fitting roster, find out which one it is fast, before it becomes an albatross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew he was this type. White, a superior player, helps to save the season last season, then by all accounts takes going back to the bench in stride for a largely unproven player, but this punk is going to throw a fit when it happens to him?

These guys do this for a living, yet he couldn't figure out that him and DeRozan wouldn't work unless he became a credible volume 3-point shooter?

Things change so fast in this league. Already that $64M ($70M with incentives) went form looking solid to they might have committed that to a rich man's Dunn/Ntilikina.

Better move DeRozan and with a presumably better fitting roster, find out which one it is fast, before it becomes an albatross.

Seems the spurs went the anti kawhi route and ponied up even with the injury concern.Kinda ironic if murray still ends up unhappy and bolts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything's fine, he's still on Grinder.
    FTFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything's fine, he's still on Tinder.
    Thank God!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't know Murray's mind, but if he's looking at Forbes as the guy who's keeping him out of the SL, he's doing it wrong. DJM's unwillingness to shoot threes combined with his sketchy offense and mistakes on defense is what made him unable to play with DeRozan and Aldridge. Some fans didn't and still don't want to hear this, but those guys are and likely will always be better than Murray is, and there isn't a path to winning that involves them deferring to Murray or even moving on from one or especially both of them for worse players that "fit" better with Murray. Simply put, he's a skinnier and less skilled version of Draymond Green right now, and that is not the type of guy who is going to lead your team to anything.

At least with White, you feel like him playing at a borderline All-Star level is a matter of him becoming more consistent rather than him gaining skills. He's not as dynamic of a defender as Murray is, especially off the ball, but he's more solid and versatile in terms of the players he can guard. Offensively, of course, it's not a contest, though I do think Murray's length and burst gives him a legit chance to develop into a really strong finisher. I agree Derrick should have started, with Murray working through his minutes restriction and recovery off the bench. If DeJounte earned the nod, that's fine. But if he didn't, you can spin it as him rounding back into form for at least this whole season. White may well have been hurt by the team not taking the chance to keep their SL together.

With Forbes struggling, I think the door is open for someone else to start, but it wouldn't be DJM. Mills would be the easiest transition in terms of skill-set, and if Bryn was going to stay in the rotation, then avoiding having him and Patty as the second-unit back court is necessary. Beli makes sense for a similar reason, though I'd rather him drop from the rotation/roster. Carroll starting and moving DeRozan to the two has a high upside in the sense that the Spurs would have a big lineup with a lot of switchability, but it would also end up being a unit that gets exploited because of the relative lack of footspeed from four out of the five guys. Walker starting would avoid that potential pitfall, but it presents the more immediate concern of Lonnie not showing consistent positive play. On paper, he's a great fit with a lineup that needs some slashing and energy. But he's not a proven shooter and may not understand the team concepts on either side of the ball well enough to handle his business against starting opponents. In that same vein, Keldon Johnson has an ideal skill-set on paper to be the starting 2.5 for the team, but he's shown a major lack of shooting thus far in Austin, and he didn't seem to really get the Spurs defensive concepts in the pre-season.

I think there are more possible solutions on the roster here that don't involve DJM starting along with White, and I think Pop should explore at least a couple of those before going with that option. In the meantime, Murray needs to work on being a better role-player first and not worry about being a star. He focused way too much on pull-up long-twos (probably with Pop's blessing) and not nearly enough on catch-and-shoot threes. He needs to avoid getting into trouble in the half-court by trying to beat guys to the basket in traffic. He needs to play fundamental defense rather than diving at balls so often. On the bench, his game should work better due to better spacing and worse compe ion. But the issues that are plaguing him (the recklessness and lack of shooting) won't really go away without him improving as a player. His limitations aren't Pop's fault. They aren't LMA's or DMDR's fault. They aren't even necessarily Murray's fault. But they're there all the same.
    Pretty much agree

I believe DJ is a point guard if anything. A PG doesn't necessarily need to have a wide shooting range but he must play solid defense, not to turn the ball over and to lead the offensive execution. Murray is failing in all of the main PG duties so he doesn't deserve to start. He was given the keys of the team but this is professional sport, the team starts losing and changes are a matter of time.

I think Forbes could be removed from the starting line-up going back to Liles in the PF. Trey is taking more 3s, shooting with confidence and accuracy and definately plays better defense than Gay. Aldridge is shooting 1.6 threes per game, that helps to the spacing as well. That would open up a spot in the 2-3 as you suggest, being Carroll, Marco, Walker interesting options to fill it. Murray's lack of three point shooting wouldn't be a problem as long as he plays solid D, stops losing the ball and follows the game plan through the play-calling.

DJ's playtime it's on his own hands. It's not about talent, he has the physical tools and the basic skillset. It's about disciplne and concentration. Everything else are excuses.

I believe Murray can be the Spurs starting PG and a very good NBA player. This situation will tell us if he becomes the man we expect him to be. Otherwise, well... bye. It's up to him now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paragraphs and paragraphs trying to justify Pop's bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray should aspire to be Rajon Rondo...that's pretty much his ceiling if he can reach it. Right now, he should be in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U guys are so stupid...so unless a young player can shootz he doesnt deserve to start? So he isnt allowed ro make mistakes? He and white has similar statistical offensive contributions this season while he was MUCH better defensively...but all ppl can think of is that white was good LAST year...

And its not even about white starting...we ALL know murray is a better fir for the SL than Forbes...forbes barelt belongs in the league...

Lastly whats more worrisome is that we are striving for mediocrity be trykng to see who fits better around DDR and LMA...wtf are we doing trying to appease them? Those two players will NEVER bring us CLOSE to a ring...why are we shunning our young players just to see who fits better with those two? Get them the outta here and get ppl who complement our young guys... we are becoming the teams we used ro laugh at...

On another note, we are mad at murray for PRESUMABLY being mad at the decision making of the team and how things have been handled...ALMOST ALL OF US WERE MAD AT THE SAME THINGS! so he isnt allowed to see the same thing we are seeing and not lile it?

We all know how divaish parker was...imagine if he had social media when Pop benched him for speedy claxton and had him in trade talks for jason kidd

Thread Information