Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this illegal arrangement that paid me a base $72k annual in 2000 just wasn't enough, huh?
    You are in a union shop. wtf are you talking about?

what do collective bargaining mean?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this illegal arrangement that paid me a base $72k annual in 2000 just wasn't enough, huh?
    You got shanked.

What with all your skills you should have at least tripled that number. They bled you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You got shanked.

What with all your skills you should have at least tripled that number. They bled you.
    They sure did. I feel so shafted because it was nonunion and I wasn't as good as others in my wage negotiations. I could have had more if my debating skills were better.

Let's remember, this was in 2000. In the span from 1998 to 2002 that I worked for them, I had two years of six figures when counting overtime and bonuses. If I recall, it was $112 k and $118 k.

Now if this practice was suppressing my wages, just how much more do you think I should have been getting?

I'm just a parts changer... Not an engineer... They made more than I did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wage Theft Across the Board

When labor advocates and law enforcement officials talk about wage theft, they are usually referring to situations in which low-wage service-sector employees are forced to work off the clock, paid subminimum wages, cheated out of overtime pay or denied their tips. It is a huge and underpoliced problem. It is also, it turns out, not confined to low-wage workers.

In the days ahead, a settlement is expected in the an rust lawsuit pitting 64,613 software engineers against Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe. The engineers say they lost up to $3 billion in wages from 2005-9, when the companies colluded in a scheme not to solicit one another’s employees. The collusion, according to the engineers, kept their pay lower than it would have been had the companies actually competed for talent.

The suit, brought after the Justice Department investigated the anti-recruiting scheme in 2010, has many riveting aspects, including emails and other do ents that tarnish the reputation of Silicon Valley as compe ive and of technology executives as a new breed of “don’t-be-evil” bosses, to cite Google’s informal motto.

The case essentially alleges white-collar wage theft. The engineers were not victimized by the usual violations of labor law, but by improper hiring practices against their interests. The result, however, was the same: Money that would have flowed to workers in the form of wages went instead into corporate coffers and from there to executives and shareholders.

When wage theft against low-wage workers is combined with that against highly paid workers, a bad problem becomes much worse. Data compiled by the Economic Policy Ins ute show that in 2012, the Department of Labor helped 308,000 workers recover $280 million in back pay for wage-theft violations — nearly double the amount stolen that year in robberies on the street, at banks, gas stations and convenience stores.

Moreover, the recovered wages are surely only a fraction of the wage theft nationwide because the Labor Department has only about 1,100 wage-and-hour investigators to monitor seven million employers and several states have ended or curtailed wage enforcement efforts.

New York, however, has been a notable exception. Last month, investigations by Attorney General Eric Schneiderman yielded settlements with nearly two dozen Domino’s Pizza restaurants in New York and one McDonald’s franchise that recovered nearly $1 million in stolen wages for 1,450 fast-food employees.

Those sums, vitally important redress for the low-wage victims, are small in comparison to the billions of dollars sought by the software engineers, or the hundreds of millions that would likely result from a settlement of the engineers’ case.

Still, as important as the recoveries is the evidence that wage theft afflicts both low- and high-wage jobs. To fight the theft from low-wage workers requires more Labor Department resources, as President Obama called for in his recent budget, and immigration reform, which would help to both stanch widespread wage theft from undo ented immigrants and improve low-wage working conditions.

To fight white-collar wage theft requires a re-energized Justice Department, to pursue tough cases and settlements against industry collusion, discrimination and other illegal practices that allow employers to deny employees their rightful pay.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/22...the-board.html

aka, the Corporate War on Employees.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as long as they pay you enough to live comfortably, you'd be ungrateful to complain if they underpay you and screw you out of opportunities for advancement and more pay.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 04-22-2014 at 11:40 AM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    as long as they pay you enough to live comfortably, you'd be ungrateful to complain if they underpay you and screw you out of opportunities for advancement and more pay.
    There was no "screwing me out of advancement" or "screwing me out of working for a different employer."

Please note that the bad email listed early on was about one CEO trying to stop another company from hiring his employees. Now this is actionable. The lawsuit doesn't limit itself to this, but includes the no cold call agreement. I was approached by head hunters for recruitment rather than by a company. The no cold calling agreement didn't hinder employees from moving around. It is no more than a gentleman's agreement because there was no way to prove it happened if it was denied. I moved into another corporation this way. The maintenance manager said he wanted me to work for him, but I had to go thorough the normal process and not use him as a referral. He said from there, he would guarantee me a position once I was in the HR register.

Yes, I got a nice pay raise in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sure did. I feel so shafted because it was nonunion and I wasn't as good as others in my wage negotiations. I could have had more if my debating skills were better.

Let's remember, this was in 2000. In the span from 1998 to 2002 that I worked for them, I had two years of six figures when counting overtime and bonuses. If I recall, it was $112 k and $118 k.

Now if this practice was suppressing my wages, just how much more do you think I should have been getting?

I'm just a parts changer... Not an engineer... They made more than I did.
    I was being sarcastic. I have no idea what you do other than change parts.

What you seem to get stuck on is that since you are happy, the system works for everyone. Collude away, I'm good...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I was being sarcastic. I have no idea what you do other than change parts.

What you seem to get stuck on is that since you are happy, the system works for everyone. Collude away, I'm good...
    I'm saying that the collusion when limited to agreeing not to cold call doesn't stop mobility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying that the collusion when limited to agreeing not to cold call doesn't stop mobility.
    So you go mobile to receive exactly the same wage... To your surprise you thought you could make more but no, the price is fixed. But you are happy with that so it's ok.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So you go mobile to receive exactly the same wage... To your surprise you thought you could make more but no, the price is fixed. But you are happy with that so it's ok.
    That's now how things happened.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Foreign workers: Microsoft gets green light from Ottawa for foreign trainees

Tech giant exempted from new rules for finding Canadians to fill jobs

The federal government has granted an exemption to Microsoft Canada that will allow the company to bring in an unspecified number of temporary foreign workers to British Columbia as trainees without first looking for Canadians to fill the jobs.

A notice posted on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website says foreign workers will receive specialized training in a new human resources development centre in the province. The tech giant will not have to perform a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) — a rigorous process that would include a search for Canadians who could fill the positions.

The exemption was granted under a provincial-federal agreement that gives a pass to companies that gain provincial approval.

The Canadian government argues the arrangement is the result of a significant investment by Microsoft that will create jobs for Canadians as well at a new 400-person training centre.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/12...tm_medium=feed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Lucas related:

Rather than apologizing to a $170bn corporation for hurting its feelings, Lucas should probably apologize to all of his employees from the mid-1980s onwards, and to the tens of thousands of VFX animators and tech engineers and others caught up in the massive wage-fixing cartel that spread across industries and oceans until it was busted up by the Department of Justice in 2010.

Better yet, he could pay back some of the stolen wages that VFX tech workers are seeking in a class action an rust lawsuit that grew out of the landmark Silicon Valley wage-theft lawsuit, and which -- court do ents revealed -- was prompted by Pando’s reporting on the Hollywood component of the illegal conspiracy.

As readers of our series of articles on the Silicon Valley wage-theft cartel will recall, it was George Lucas himself who first initiated the illegal conspiracy to suppress tech workers’ wages by secretly coordinating recruitment and salaries with competing VFX film companies. Lucas later justified his actions by claiming that had he not secretly suppressed employees’ wages, the small movie studios would’ve gone bankrupt and everyone would’ve suffered. Stealing workers’ wages and their opportunities to protect Lucasfilm’s bottom line may have been an act of selfless benevolence, but it also turned Lucas into a multibillionaire when he sold out to Disney in 2012 and pocketed over four billion dollars for himself.
    https://pando.com/2016/01/05/white-s...96e8f865b2ae5/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No man earns a billion dollars. It's more conventional to rip off workers, overcharge customers, buy off politicians and cheat compe ors.

https://www.gq.com/story/wage-theft

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No man earns a billion dollars. It's more conventional to rip off workers, overcharge customers, buy off politicians and cheat compe ors.

And Trash/Repug cult mob don't GAF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

*ehem*

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Behind every great fortune, there's a great crime (or Ms of them)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America's 2nd richest man steals wages from delivery drivers.

Though Amazon's delivery drivers operate Amazon-emblazoned vans, wear Amazon uniforms, and are trained by Amazon employees, they are technically not employed directly by Amazon but by small contractors, known as "delivery service partners," that operate out of Amazon warehouses around the country.

Amazon has been sued in many of these wage theft cases, as lawsuits claim that Amazon serves as a joint employer of its delivery drivers because of the extensive control it exerts over them. "Amazon [is responsible for] virtually every aspect of [drivers'] jobs, including the existence of the job itself," the Washington State lawsuit against Amazon and eight of its contractors reads.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjpy...n-minimum-wage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol guillotines. What are you 4 years old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol guillotines. What are you 4 years old?
    No take on the topic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No take on the topic?
    Amazon was s for doing that, duh. The guillotines are re ed and counterproductive. About as helpful as "defund the police" was.

Thread Information