Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I've spent more time thinking about Golden State than I have any other team I've ever thought about in my whole career,"

Hmmmmmm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " my starting PG is going to get raped by Curry"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering we built our teams from '03-'08 specifically to combat the Lakers and Mavericks...Pop is probably pandering to the media here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully that thinking leads to something ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he's thinking how satisfying it will be to humiliate them . Just bring back horry and bowen to teach the real basketball moves.

On a more serious note....of course he thinks about golden state, every other team literally sucks this year. Only four true contenders

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering we built our teams from '03-'08 specifically to combat the Lakers and Mavericks...Pop is probably pandering to the media here.
    What do you mean by that? (I google translated it but didn't help..)
    thx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will break out hack-a-Curry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean by that? (I google translated it but didn't help..)
    thx
    He is basically telling them what they want to hear. Media is all hyped up about the Warriors right now, and I think Pop is probably fine with letting them focus on Golden State and keep Spurs under the radar.

Many Spurs have already said the team doesn't worry about what other teams are doing, they are only worried about themselves and being the best team they can be come playoff time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will break out hack-a-Curry
    or hack-a-Bogut / Ezeli, and not let gsw play

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way he buttered up Kobe last week, this comment isn't a surprise. Don't even wanna imagine what he's telling their players at practice...

In before "CIA Pop"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those curious, here is the full quote:

"I've spent more time thinking about Golden State than I have any other team I've ever thought about in my whole career," Popovich told ESPN Radio on Friday. "Because they are really fun. I'd go buy a ticket and go watch them play. And when I see them move the ball, I get very envious. When I see them shoot uncontested shots more than anybody else in the league, it's inspiring. It's just great basketball.

"So I'm actually enjoying them very much. You try to solve them, but they're in a sense unsolvable because it's a particular mix of talent that they have. It's not just that Steph [Curry] can make shots or that Klay can make shots or that Draymond Green is versatile. Everybody on the court can pass, catch and shoot. And they all get it."

"They're for real," Popovich added. "They're talented. But they're also very, very smart."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is basically telling them what they want to hear. Media is all hyped up about the Warriors right now, and I think Pop is probably fine with letting them focus on Golden State and keep Spurs under the radar.

Many Spurs have already said the team doesn't worry about what other teams are doing, they are only worried about themselves and being the best team they can be come playoff time.
    The team focuses on what THEY have to do to be their best. But it's all in order to beat GSW. The Spurs style of play is what gave GSW the most issues last post season (Memphis, Cleveland) I don't think it's a coincidence Spurs are playing the slow pace grind it out type of basketball. But unlike those teams last year...we are waaaay better offensively. It's all about beating GSW..as it should be TBH

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks. That EXACTLY what I was going to say...

I has done it for ever and the fact that people on ST still respond so naively amazes me!

He always does his "judo" thing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Pop will gather intel on Curry this weekend.

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They made some shots"

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I love coach Popovich for the way he isn't afraid to speak the truth

The way he embraced Kobe and compared him to MJ and now he's implying that the Dubs are the best team the Spurs have ever went up against

It's a shame the fans here don't act like the Spurs organization does

The Spurs are the best franchise in sports and they have been a great influence on the Dubs but I don't view them as a threat anymore, no offense to Spur fans

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love coach Popovich for the way he isn't afraid to speak the truth

The way he embraced Kobe and compared him to MJ and now he's implying that the Dubs are the best team the Spurs have ever went up against

It's a shame the fans here don't act like the Spurs organization does

The Spurs are the best franchise in sports and they have been a great influence on the Dubs but I don't view them as a threat anymore, no offense to Spur fans

You were fine until the end. That's where you're ed up and wrong

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has a history of ass kissing the opponent. I remember during the '99-'00 season he took a lot the stuff Phil Jackson said about the spur le being an asterisk very personal. Pop responded by saying Phil was a whiner and a bunch of other expletives. After getting trolled by Phil that season Pop started ass kissing the Lakers to stay out of a war of words with Phil. Pop has since then has done ass kissing for the opponents. I don't take it seriously I feel Pop is just bull ting but I do still find it annoying. Another reason I put Phil ahead Pop is that he never built up his opponent like Pop does.
    Last edited by daslicer; 02-12-2016 at 03:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds like if he wasn't plotting how to defeat them, he'd just really enjoy watching them. I think he genuinely admires that team. I also note how he talked about the team in that sentence and not just one or two guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no one will take offense if you never post here again
    GOTHEEM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has truly gone soft ..

Seems like he is treating every adversary with the same overawe and inferiority complex he had toward Phil Jackson..The recent sight of him being more invested in bearhugging with fellow-coaches than making adjustments against them bothers me, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Pop and he is absolutely right. The Warriors are the clear class of the NBA as of today. The only way that narrative changes is if the Spurs beat them. One thing about being a Spurs fan for so long is we've seen 50 wins for nearly two decades. We know all too well championships aren't won in February. I am totally cool saying the Warriors are better than the Spurs today. If there was a game 7 tonight between the Spurs and the Warriors, the Warriors would be overwhelming favorites.

At the end of the day, we still need to see the games played. It's all about team health, complacency , and match-ups. Pop also knows the difficulty of having that target on your back for extended periods of time. It's not just the winning by the Warriors, but they are mentally beating opponents before the game starts. It doesn't matter what team it is, it feels like the approach is "if we lose by less than ten we did good enough". It's an amazing run and Warriors fans should enjoy it. , we all would if it was the Spurs.

I'm glad Pop is motivated and spending more time than he has ever dedicated to an opponent. After all his accomplishments, knocking off the Warriors in the playoffs would edge out getting over the hump with the Lakers in 2003. It's going to be fun to watch this season play out.

Thread Information