Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas is gonna be on life support for a year or longer. Then add in 20%+ unemployment and you can put Vegas in ICU for at least 2 years.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figured south, like Kyle or Buda. Close enough to westlake and not technical in Austin so you can still call them the SA Spurs. Like what the pistons did when they moved to Auburn Hills.
    Maybe. The regional model seems to work better for football than basketball and it's tough to see the team's giving that much of a about SA if it moves out of the city. Anything's possible tho-- I'm just aware of the burbs north of Austin being aggro about flashy developments. Plenty of governments all along I35 to fleece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. The regional model seems to work better for football than basketball and it's tough to see the team's giving that much of a about SA if it moves out of the city. Anything's possible tho-- I'm just aware of the burbs north of Austin being aggro about flashy developments. Plenty of governments all along I35 to fleece.
    Right when I hit post, it dawned on me that Hays county likely doesn’t have the funds necessary to make the proper incentives. WillCo likely a different beast.

I think that the applicable region is so small that it could make sense, but you’re right, who knows right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2032, if that’s the year the contract is up, San Antonio will probably be 4th or 5th in population. The city will easily be able to keep the AT&T center for concerts/ect & build a new stadium for the Spurs elsewhere like the Rim or downtown again.
    Minimally 1/3 of the league has a better case for leaving their respective cities over the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got my .1%. Y'all better hurry up before all the shares are bought up!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ve heard this about the team moving for two decades now.

It isn’t going to happen. At least, not anytime soon.

They aren’t going to move one of the league’s top franchises after a couple bad years. If anything, NO or SAC or MEM are more at risk than the San Antonio Spurs...the team with the 5th most championships all won in the last 20 years.

Chill out, people.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figured south, like Kyle or Buda. Close enough to westlake and not technical in Austin so you can still call them the SA Spurs. Like what the pistons did when they moved to Auburn Hills.
    Players would prob be afraid of getting lynched in Buda tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players would prob be afraid of getting lynched in Buda tbh.
    WTF are you talking about? Buda is pretty much a suburb of Austin now. Very similar to Boerne.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF are you talking about? Buda is pretty much a suburb of Austin now. Very similar to Boerne.
    I guess I just had a bad experience with the cops there in the 90s when I was coming back from Austin with two black friends and our car broke down in Buda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minority owners are always at the mercy of the majority owners in regards to return on investment or direct payouts from profits. It takes a serious meeting of the minds partnership to keep the two interests in sync. When a widow takes over she is often influenced by outside interests of family, attorneys and financial advisors to take actions that aren't favorable to an amicable relationship with minority interests. And they don't have to keep them happy.

FAmily problems within the ownership interests such as divorce or death resulting in multiple heirs usually result in a desire by one party or the other to want to sell their minority share in order to completely separate themselves from the other partners.

I think some of the thinking here about a move in the future is way premature. No businessman wants to buy a minority share with the idea of taking over a franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To the San Antonio natives - where would the new stadium best be located - downtown SA or the northern outskirts, ritzier part of town?

I only went to one downtown game (Jan 2002) but do recall the advantage of being surrounded by so much tourism on foot. I presume there would be real estate to build a world class arena downtown. Hopefully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To the San Antonio natives - where would the new stadium best be located - downtown SA or the northern outskirts, ritzier part of town?

I only went to one downtown game (Jan 2002) but do recall the advantage of being surrounded by so much tourism on foot. I presume there would be real estate to build a world class arena downtown. Hopefully.
    For non-locals, putting it downtown next to the convention center and the Alamodome makes the most sense to me. Can have riverwalk, tourist stuff, convention center, the stadium and arena all together. Can fly in, get a downtown hotel and just walk to everything. Would be a great setup.

for locals, it’s all about easy commute and parking and not in a ghetto area. So just depends on the FO’s and the cities targeted audience. Locals or visitors?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People thinking they have until 2032 to figure it out are mistaken.

Wheels will be put into motion well before 2032. If there isn't a new arena deal signed, sealed and delivered by 2030 at the latest kiss the Spurs goodbye. , I'd be nervous if there wasn't a groundbreaking ceremony in 2029.

Bennett asked/proposed for the new Sonics arena 3.5 years before the lease was up. 7-8 months later he was filing for arbitration to get out of the lease. 6 months after that he offers a buyout. 6 months later the lawsuit is settled and the Sonics are let out of the final 2 years.

The smart money is on the interests of Seattle or Vegas to start going to war now. I'd be watching for evidence of astro-turfing/fake newsing/bots sowing the seeds of anti-Spurs/anti-public-funds in the San Antonio market starting now, if they haven't already.

A few hundred thousand over the next few years of an underhanded campaign to sabotage any efforts to build the Spurs a new arena will save the Seattle/Vegas groups millions. Fake pro-business or fake anti-tax groups will become active on Facebook and Twitter etc. Anti-Pop rhetoric with regards to his opinions on political or social issues will become more active if Pop is still around to stoke anger amongst the conservatives who will be easily manipulated into being anti-Spur when it comes to any consideration for a new building, even if didn't directly involve raised taxes.

I wouldn't count on the Spurs sticking around.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    La Vegas Spurs in less than 3 years. Bet Vegas wont build a stadium in the Ghetto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can still pick up a blowjob after the game from the hookers on New Braunfels Ave at the current location. They're not lookers though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People thinking they have until 2032 to figure it out are mistaken.

Wheels will be put into motion well before 2032. If there isn't a new arena deal signed, sealed and delivered by 2030 at the latest kiss the Spurs goodbye. , I'd be nervous if there wasn't a groundbreaking ceremony in 2029.

Bennett asked/proposed for the new Sonics arena 3.5 years before the lease was up. 7-8 months later he was filing for arbitration to get out of the lease. 6 months after that he offers a buyout. 6 months later the lawsuit is settled and the Sonics are let out of the final 2 years.

The smart money is on the interests of Seattle or Vegas to start going to war now. I'd be watching for evidence of astro-turfing/fake newsing/bots sowing the seeds of anti-Spurs/anti-public-funds in the San Antonio market starting now, if they haven't already.

A few hundred thousand over the next few years of an underhanded campaign to sabotage any efforts to build the Spurs a new arena will save the Seattle/Vegas groups millions. Fake pro-business or fake anti-tax groups will become active on Facebook and Twitter etc. Anti-Pop rhetoric with regards to his opinions on political or social issues will become more active if Pop is still around to stoke anger amongst the conservatives who will be easily manipulated into being anti-Spur when it comes to any consideration for a new building, even if didn't directly involve raised taxes.

I wouldn't count on the Spurs sticking around.
    We'll all be in mass graves from COVID by then anyways tbh. I don't expect them to stay here beyond 2032 because I doubt the taxpayers will vote them another stadium without being a le team. The 99 le is the only reason they're still here. And I can't disagree, I'd vote no on any arena deal tax giveaway. On the plus side I think they'd go to Austin and not Seattle and especially not hole Vegas that has never recovered from the 2008 banksters depression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll all be in mass graves from COVID by then anyways tbh. I don't expect them to stay here beyond 2032 because I doubt the taxpayers will vote them another stadium without being a le team. The 99 le is the only reason they're still here. And I can't disagree, I'd vote no on any arena deal tax giveaway. On the plus side I think they'd go to Austin and not Seattle and especially not hole Vegas that has never recovered from the 2008 banksters depression.
    LA gonna get a third basketball team imo

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rumors going around that the team will be moved to the west side of San Antonio. Screenshot this plebs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can still pick up a blowjob after the game from the hookers on New Braunfels Ave at the current location. They're not lookers though.
    Is there another franchise, in any sport in the past two decades that has chosen such a terrible location for their new arena? Every time I think about it I cant get over what a moronic decision it was.

A $200-300 million investment (in 2003 money) and you cheapen out on the land smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there another franchise, in any sport in the past two decades that has chosen such a terrible location for their new arena? Every time I think about it I cant get over what a moronic decision it was.

A $200-300 million investment (in 2003 money) and you cheapen out on the land smh.
    The city was trying to tie a new convention center to the Spurs arena vote and the Spurs were scared that would cause the vote to fail since it doubled the price taxpayers would be on the hook for. That stadium was going to be in the south end of the Alamodome parking lot. So the team ran to the Bexar County who had land at Freeman Colosseum.

As for franchises with really bad stadium locations, the best example I could think of was the New Jersey Nets and The Meadowlands. You used to always hear how their attendance was even in their Finals years because it was such a to get to. ElNono used to go to games there, maybe he could chime in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for franchises with really bad stadium locations, the best example I could think of was the New Jersey Nets and The Meadowlands. You used to always hear how their attendance was even in their Finals years because it was such a to get to. ElNono used to go to games there, maybe he could chime in.
    The Meadowlands was terrible. Right smack in the middle of the NJ/NY commute. The Turnpike traffic has always been . It also didn't help it was like 20 mins away from Manhattan, so it really couldn't compete as a venue for non-sports shows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the original lease was through ‘27 and the extension was for 5 years. If I remember correctly, the original deal was funded by hotel and rental car taxes.
    It was 2027, and was extended 5 years for the upgrades they did a while back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was 2027, and was extended 5 years for the upgrades they did a while back.
    do you think they will get a new arena in SA before the lease is up or do you think they as good as gone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put the new arena next to Chris Madrid’s so I can grab a burger after the game next time I visit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumors going around that the team will be moved to the west side of San Antonio. Screenshot this plebs.
    Where on the west side? West? Or NW? Seaworld and fiesta Texas are already there so could make sense as far as consolidation of big entertainment venues. And lots of hotels there.

Thread Information