Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone who isn't a Spurs fan asked me the big differences between last year's team, that was just a hair away from being the 5 seed, and this year's team, that is battling for that 12th spot. "Is it all because you guys lost Bertans?"

Looking at both squads, the biggest difference, to me, has been switching White and Murray in the lineup. (Granted there are lots of other pieces at play, like Gay's decline and Pop coaching out of his ass most nights, among others.) When Derrick White got comfortable as the starting point guard last year is when things really turned around for the Spurs. His +16 last night was no fluke. I like Murray, but he's still not in the same realm as White when it comes to being a starting point guard in this league. And White seems to play better when he's getting lots of run, and not worried about having to share those 48 minutes with Dejonte. Most of us thought the team would be better as a result of getting Murray back this season, but we've obviously been much worse.

If we have a tradeable young asset this summer, it might be Murray above the rest. He's not on a rookie deal. His contract is could be a bargain if he develops, and he's not adding to the win total on the Spurs. He could fetch some decent talent, and it might just be that in the summer restructure that he could be used a sacrificial lamb towards strengthening other positions.

The Spurs have to be bold in the off season, and I wouldn't put any Spur on the "do not trade" list if the deal is right.
    For me the biggest reasons are horrendous decline in coaching and LMA’s decline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan 12 AST....wow

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we have a tradeable young asset this summer, it might be Murray above the rest.
    I completely agree. As improved DJM is this year, he simply cannot run an offense, nor is he good enough to be a starting shooting guard. He is a combo guard, no more, no less. It appears Derrick White has a lower upside, but is more stable. I'd rather have more stability in the team, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely agree. As improved DJM is this year, he simply cannot run an offense, nor is he good enough to be a starting shooting guard. He is a combo guard, no more, no less. It appears Derrick White has a lower upside, but is more stable. I'd rather have more stability in the team, tbh.
    Why? The team sucks...go for the upside... No one was talking about whites PG skills two years ago... Murray wlis already more impactful than white, and in two year's time, his ability to run a team will be better .. the reason y'all say Murray can't run a team is because he isn't as willing as White to just post up LMA all game... It's not as if white is out there operating the offense like Steve Nash...

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? The team sucks...go for the upside... No one was talking about whites PG skills two years ago... Murray wlis already more impactful than white, and in two year's time, his ability to run a team will be better .. the reason y'all say Murray can't run a team is because he isn't as willing as White to just post up LMA all game... It's not as if white is out there operating the offense like Steve Nash...
    The team is in disarray when Murray is in the helm man. Botched passes, no offensive schemes. This one's not on Pop, it's on the head of the snake. And when it's on Murray, I'm sorry, we can't last. He shot 3-16!

Thread Information